|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
(a) He helps her off the tram.
(b) He calls her Mercedes.
(c) He kisses her.
(d) He sits her in his lap.
2. Who suggests that Stephen broke his glasses himself in order to get out of his schoolwork?
(a) the bully Wells
(b) Father Arnall
(c) Father Dolan
(d) Tusker Boyle
3. What public transportation does Stephen take?
(a) new motor buses
(b) horse drawn trams
(c) shank's mare
(d) market carts
4. Who is Mike Flynn?
(a) The man who buys Stephen's father's business.
(b) The man who who supervises Stephen's runs around the track.
(c) The man Stephen's father works for.
(d) The man Stephen goes to work for.
5. What is demanded by boys Stephen meets on the road?
(a) identification of his favorite poet
(b) money for his lunch
(c) an introduction to Mercedes
(d) to play hookey that afternoon
6. Who gets into an argument during Christmas dinner?
(a) Stephen and Father
(b) Dante and Uncle Charles
(c) Mother and Father
(d) Dante and Mr. Casey
7. What happens when summer vacation is over for Stephen?
(a) Stephen's family moves again.
(b) Stephen does not return to Clongowes.
(c) Stephen finds a steady job.
(d) Stephen works out on the track with Mike.
8. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
(a) His glasses break.
(b) He fights back.
(c) He runs away from Clongowes.
(d) He gets a bloody nose.
9. What emotion does Stephen have over the reversal of his family's fortunes?
10. What does Heron claim Lord Byron to be?
(a) to be an immoral heretic
(b) to be a Frenchman
(c) to be a hack writer
(d) to be an imposter
11. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
(a) kissing his mother before bedtime
(b) wearing short pants
(c) writing letters to Eileen
(d) wetting his bed
12. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
(a) as merciless oppressors
(b) as irreligious
(c) as avenging angels of God
(d) as flawless beings
13. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
(a) He begins to formulate new political ideas.
(b) He wonders why adults like to talk so much.
(c) He takes in everything and understands.
(d) He does not understand fully what they talk about.
14. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
(a) his father's heart attack
(b) a relapse of his illness
(c) his sister's wedding
(d) Christmas holidays
15. What does Stephen figure out about his not returning to Clongowes?
(a) From then on he will be home schooled.
(b) They plan to send him to England to study.
(c) It signifies a change in his father's finances.
(d) His father has converted to Protestantism.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the punishment, what do the boys urge Stephen to do?
2. After the punishment, what are Flemming and Stephen told to do?
3. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
4. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
5. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)