|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Stephen imagine he will live when he gets married?
(a) in a three storey house in Dublin
(b) in an apartment in London
(c) in a small, whitewashed house outside of Blackrock
(d) on a houseboat
2. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
(a) He plans a revenge.
(b) He becomes seriously ill.
(c) He needs help to get out of the ditch.
(d) He talks his parents into taking him home.
3. What is demanded by boys Stephen meets on the road?
(a) money for his lunch
(b) identification of his favorite poet
(c) to play hookey that afternoon
(d) an introduction to Mercedes
4. What does Stephen complain about to the rector?
(a) unjust punishment
(b) broken blood vessels in his hands
(c) Father Dolan interfering in Father Arnall's class
(d) broken fingers
5. What does Stephen figure out about his not returning to Clongowes?
(a) It signifies a change in his father's finances.
(b) They plan to send him to England to study.
(c) From then on he will be home schooled.
(d) His father has converted to Protestantism.
6. When does Stephen feel happy?
(a) only when he sees the girl from the tram
(b) only when he is alone
(c) only when he thinks of Mercedes
(d) only when he has a sweet to eat
7. At school, what is the unusual word Stephen sees carved into a desk?
8. What is the literary method used in the novel?
(b) chronological account
(c) stream of consciousness
(d) metaphor and irony
9. What are Stephen's father and the priests always urging him to do?
(a) to work harder at his lessons
(b) to enter the priesthood
(c) to be a gentleman and a good Catholic
(d) to confess his sins daily
10. What does Heron claim Lord Byron to be?
(a) to be an imposter
(b) to be a Frenchman
(c) to be an immoral heretic
(d) to be a hack writer
11. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
(a) a boy named Corrigan
(b) a boy named Wells
(c) a boy named Simon Moonan
(d) a boy named Tusker Boyle
12. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
(a) large print
(b) nice sentences
(c) margin notes he wrote
(d) funny illustrations
13. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
(a) How he would like to kick her.
(b) How she is too old for him.
(c) How much she looks like Mercedes.
(d) How he could easily catch hold of her and kiss her.
14. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
(a) closing and opening the flaps of his ears
(b) putting beans in his ears
(c) humming softly to himself
(d) shutting out sound by concentration on home
15. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
(a) as a tattle tale
(b) as an enemy
(c) as a sneak
(d) as a hero
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion does Stephen have over the reversal of his family's fortunes?
2. What public transportation does Stephen take?
3. Who gets into an argument during Christmas dinner?
4. After Blackrock, where does the family move?
5. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)