|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Stephen know for sure is in the audience for a play he is in at school?
(b) Uncle Charles
(d) his father
2. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
(d) His mother
3. What do Stephen and Aubrey do in the meadow?
(a) play football
(b) ride a mare in the field
(c) look for buried treasure
(d) pretend to be pirates
4. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
(a) slapped her with his gloves
(b) spit tobacco juice in her eye
(c) showed her his backside
(d) stepped on her toes
5. What does Heron claim Lord Byron to be?
(a) to be an imposter
(b) to be a Frenchman
(c) to be a hack writer
(d) to be an immoral heretic
6. What do Stephen and Aubrey Mills formulate?
(a) imaginary adventures
(b) ways to meet girls
(c) a blood brother pact
(d) a team to make money
7. What are Stephen's father and the priests always urging him to do?
(a) to work harder at his lessons
(b) to confess his sins daily
(c) to enter the priesthood
(d) to be a gentleman and a good Catholic
8. Where does Stephen imagine he will live when he gets married?
(a) on a houseboat
(b) in a small, whitewashed house outside of Blackrock
(c) in a three storey house in Dublin
(d) in an apartment in London
9. What does Stephen do immediately after the play?
(a) He hides backstage.
(b) He goes to a cast party.
(c) He looks for the girl.
(d) He rushes off.
10. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
(a) He takes in everything and understands.
(b) He does not understand fully what they talk about.
(c) He wonders why adults like to talk so much.
(d) He begins to formulate new political ideas.
11. What does Stephen do about new words he hears the adults use?
(a) makes a list but does not spell them correctly
(b) interrupts conversation to ask their meanings
(c) figures out their meanings
(d) tries to use them in his own conversation
12. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
(a) that her hat was on backwards
(b) that she was going to cry
(c) that she was in a hurry to leave
(d) that she wore too much perfume
13. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
(a) large print
(b) nice sentences
(c) margin notes he wrote
(d) funny illustrations
14. During table conversation, what is a local Catholic priest accused of?
(a) getting drunk on communion wine
(b) molesting children
(c) mixing politics into his sermons
(d) teaching apostacy
15. What happens when summer vacation is over for Stephen?
(a) Stephen finds a steady job.
(b) Stephen works out on the track with Mike.
(c) Stephen's family moves again.
(d) Stephen does not return to Clongowes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Stephen's hands when Father Dolan does not believe his glasses broke by accident?
2. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
3. When does Stephen feel happy?
4. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
5. After the punishment, what are Flemming and Stephen told to do?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)