|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
(a) The rector excuses Father Dolan.
(b) The rector punishes Stephen again.
(c) The rector agrees to speak to Father Dolan.
(d) The rector dismisses Father Dolan.
2. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
(a) stepped on her toes
(b) slapped her with his gloves
(c) spit tobacco juice in her eye
(d) showed her his backside
3. What does Stephen do immediately after the play?
(a) He goes to a cast party.
(b) He hides backstage.
(c) He rushes off.
(d) He looks for the girl.
4. Who is Mike Flynn?
(a) The man Stephen's father works for.
(b) The man who buys Stephen's father's business.
(c) The man Stephen goes to work for.
(d) The man who who supervises Stephen's runs around the track.
5. What are Stephen's father and the priests always urging him to do?
(a) to enter the priesthood
(b) to work harder at his lessons
(c) to be a gentleman and a good Catholic
(d) to confess his sins daily
6. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
(a) a choice between flogging or the stocks
(b) a choice between flogging and expulsion
(c) a choice between flogging or public humiliation
(d) a choice between flogging or the gauntlet
7. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
(a) Father Arnall
(b) Father Dolan
(c) Father Parnell
(d) Father O'Casey
8. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
(a) He notices slight changes around the house.
(b) His mother takes in laundry.
(c) His father sells the automobile.
(d) He does not get new clothes.
9. What is demanded by boys Stephen meets on the road?
(a) an introduction to Mercedes
(b) money for his lunch
(c) to play hookey that afternoon
(d) identification of his favorite poet
10. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
(a) He sits her in his lap.
(b) He calls her Mercedes.
(c) He kisses her.
(d) He helps her off the tram.
11. Who does Stephen suspect is also in the audience the night of the play?
(a) the girl from the tram
12. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
(a) He speaks with a devoutly religious voice.
(b) He speaks mainly from Stephen's mother's point of view.
(c) He speaks largely from Stephen's perspective.
(d) He speaks only as an Irish nationalist.
13. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
(a) Christmas holidays
(b) his father's heart attack
(c) his sister's wedding
(d) a relapse of his illness
14. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
(a) religion and business
(b) gambling and drinking
(c) mostly of politics and family legends
(d) Irish legends and music
15. What do Stephen and Aubrey do in the meadow?
(a) play football
(b) pretend to be pirates
(c) look for buried treasure
(d) ride a mare in the field
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen complain about to the rector?
2. Why is Stephen exempted from his classes?
3. At school, what is the unusual word Stephen sees carved into a desk?
4. What job is given to Stephen?
5. After the punishment, what do the boys urge Stephen to do?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)