|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
(a) religion and business
(b) mostly of politics and family legends
(c) gambling and drinking
(d) Irish legends and music
2. What job is given to Stephen?
(a) unpacking boxes
(b) doing laundry
(c) carrying messages
(d) delivering newspapers
3. Who bumps Stephen into a square ditch of slimy, cold water?
(a) the language teacher
(b) a boy named Fleming
(c) a boy named Wells
(d) the prefect
4. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
(a) a choice between flogging or the stocks
(b) a choice between flogging and expulsion
(c) a choice between flogging or public humiliation
(d) a choice between flogging or the gauntlet
5. What is the literary method used in the novel?
(b) stream of consciousness
(c) metaphor and irony
(d) chronological account
6. What is the name of the school Stephen next enrolls in?
(a) Byron Academy
(b) Dublin Polytechnic
7. After what does Stephen model his poem titles in his notebook?
(a) the Canterbury Tales
(b) the collected poems of Lord Byron
(c) odes by Keats
(d) newspaper headlines
8. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
(a) Father O'Casey
(b) Father Arnall
(c) Father Dolan
(d) Father Parnell
9. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
(a) How he would like to kick her.
(b) How much she looks like Mercedes.
(c) How he could easily catch hold of her and kiss her.
(d) How she is too old for him.
10. For what does Stephen continually search?
(a) for a job
(b) for his Mercedes
(c) for his friend Aubrey
(d) for his fortune
11. What makes Stephen angry with himself?
(a) his youth and foolish impulses
(b) his lack of ambition
(c) his inability to express himself
(d) his lack of proper education
12. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
(a) that she was in a hurry to leave
(b) that she wore too much perfume
(c) that her hat was on backwards
(d) that she was going to cry
13. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
(a) if he will have a stroke
(b) if he hates boys
(c) if it means trouble
(d) if it is a sin
14. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
(a) He does not get new clothes.
(b) His mother takes in laundry.
(c) He notices slight changes around the house.
(d) His father sells the automobile.
15. Who does Stephen suspect is also in the audience the night of the play?
(c) the girl from the tram
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
2. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
3. What does Heron claim Lord Byron to be?
4. Why does Uncle Charles no longer walk to the shops?
5. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)