|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Stephen's father and the priests always urging him to do?
(a) to work harder at his lessons
(b) to enter the priesthood
(c) to be a gentleman and a good Catholic
(d) to confess his sins daily
2. What public transportation does Stephen take?
(a) market carts
(b) new motor buses
(c) horse drawn trams
(d) shank's mare
3. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
(a) as irreligious
(b) as avenging angels of God
(c) as merciless oppressors
(d) as flawless beings
4. What is a major theme of the book?
(a) Coming of age
(b) Irish nationalism and Irish identity
(c) Catholicism versus Protestantism
(d) Catholic education versus public education
5. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
(a) He calls her Mercedes.
(b) He helps her off the tram.
(c) He kisses her.
(d) He sits her in his lap.
6. When does Stephen feel happy?
(a) only when he is alone
(b) only when he has a sweet to eat
(c) only when he sees the girl from the tram
(d) only when he thinks of Mercedes
7. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
(a) Stephen's grandmother's funeral
(b) the auction of his property
(c) a visit to a clinic
(d) a job interview
8. Where does Stephen keep himself during the football game?
(a) on the bench
(b) In the thick of the action
(c) on the fringes of his line
(d) next to the prefect
9. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
(a) as an enemy
(b) as a tattle tale
(c) as a sneak
(d) as a hero
10. Who does Stephen know for sure is in the audience for a play he is in at school?
(a) Uncle Charles
(b) his father
11. What habit does Stephen hang onto?
(a) his habit of writing poems
(b) his habit of obedience
(c) his habit of eavesdropping
(d) his habit of cutting classes
12. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
(a) funny illustrations
(b) nice sentences
(c) large print
(d) margin notes he wrote
13. After the punishment, what are Flemming and Stephen told to do?
(b) sit on the floor
(c) return to their seats
(d) stand in the corner
14. While onstage delivering his lines, who does Stephen see in the audience?
(a) his father with a strange woman
(b) Uncle Charles and Dante
(c) the girl from the tram
(d) Father Arnall
15. What do Stephen and Aubrey Mills formulate?
(a) ways to meet girls
(b) imaginary adventures
(c) a blood brother pact
(d) a team to make money
Short Answer Questions
1. What is demanded by boys Stephen meets on the road?
2. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
3. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
4. Who bumps Stephen into a square ditch of slimy, cold water?
5. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)