|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
(a) showed her his backside
(b) stepped on her toes
(c) spit tobacco juice in her eye
(d) slapped her with his gloves
2. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
(a) He runs away from Clongowes.
(b) He gets a bloody nose.
(c) He fights back.
(d) His glasses break.
3. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
(a) nice sentences
(b) large print
(c) funny illustrations
(d) margin notes he wrote
4. What does Stephen do immediately after the play?
(a) He rushes off.
(b) He goes to a cast party.
(c) He hides backstage.
(d) He looks for the girl.
5. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
(a) He kisses her.
(b) He helps her off the tram.
(c) He sits her in his lap.
(d) He calls her Mercedes.
6. What does Heron claim Lord Byron to be?
(a) to be an imposter
(b) to be a hack writer
(c) to be a Frenchman
(d) to be an immoral heretic
7. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
(a) a photo of Eileen
(b) a letter from his mother
(c) a countdown to the holidays
(d) answers to test questions
8. Who does Stephen know for sure is in the audience for a play he is in at school?
(a) his father
(b) Uncle Charles
9. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
(a) They were caught peeping into ladies' bedrooms.
(b) They were caught "smugging" in the square with two younger boys.
(c) They had smuggled a prostitute into the school
(d) They were showing their bottoms to ladies on the street.
10. What does Stephen complain about to the rector?
(a) broken fingers
(b) broken blood vessels in his hands
(c) Father Dolan interfering in Father Arnall's class
(d) unjust punishment
11. Who does Stephen suspect is also in the audience the night of the play?
(d) the girl from the tram
12. What habit does Stephen hang onto?
(a) his habit of obedience
(b) his habit of cutting classes
(c) his habit of writing poems
(d) his habit of eavesdropping
13. What do Stephen and Aubrey Mills formulate?
(a) imaginary adventures
(b) a team to make money
(c) ways to meet girls
(d) a blood brother pact
14. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
(a) a visit to a clinic
(b) a job interview
(c) Stephen's grandmother's funeral
(d) the auction of his property
15. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
(a) if he will have a stroke
(b) if he hates boys
(c) if it is a sin
(d) if it means trouble
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
2. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
3. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
4. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
5. What comment does Father make that he is admonished not to say in front of Stephen?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)