|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Stephen keep himself during the football game?
(a) on the bench
(b) In the thick of the action
(c) next to the prefect
(d) on the fringes of his line
2. Why is Stephen exempted from his classes?
(a) because he is still running a fever
(b) because he was perfect on his exams
(c) because his glasses are broken
(d) because he broke his arm
3. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
(a) if he will have a stroke
(b) if it is a sin
(c) if he hates boys
(d) if it means trouble
4. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
(a) the auction of his property
(b) a visit to a clinic
(c) Stephen's grandmother's funeral
(d) a job interview
5. What is Stephen's favorite reading material?
(a) comic books
(b) The Count of Monte Cristo
(c) the newspaper
(d) The Pickwick Papers
6. What makes Stephen angry with himself?
(a) his lack of proper education
(b) his youth and foolish impulses
(c) his inability to express himself
(d) his lack of ambition
7. After the punishment, what are Flemming and Stephen told to do?
(a) stand in the corner
(b) sit on the floor
(d) return to their seats
8. What political figure becomes a topic of conversation and disagreement among the adults?
9. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
(a) They were showing their bottoms to ladies on the street.
(b) They had smuggled a prostitute into the school
(c) They were caught peeping into ladies' bedrooms.
(d) They were caught "smugging" in the square with two younger boys.
10. What habit does Stephen hang onto?
(a) his habit of obedience
(b) his habit of eavesdropping
(c) his habit of writing poems
(d) his habit of cutting classes
11. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
(a) the need to make money
(b) the bad influences of his friends
(c) the lack of faith
(d) the wasting fires of lust
12. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
(a) Father Dolan
(b) Father Arnall
(c) Father Parnell
(d) Father O'Casey
13. For what does Stephen continually search?
(a) for a job
(b) for his friend Aubrey
(c) for his Mercedes
(d) for his fortune
14. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
(a) a choice between flogging or the stocks
(b) a choice between flogging or the gauntlet
(c) a choice between flogging or public humiliation
(d) a choice between flogging and expulsion
15. What emotion does Stephen have over the reversal of his family's fortunes?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
2. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
3. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
4. Who bumps Stephen into a square ditch of slimy, cold water?
5. Who does Stephen suspect is also in the audience the night of the play?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)