|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
(a) He gets a bloody nose.
(b) He runs away from Clongowes.
(c) His glasses break.
(d) He fights back.
2. When does Stephen feel happy?
(a) only when he is alone
(b) only when he thinks of Mercedes
(c) only when he sees the girl from the tram
(d) only when he has a sweet to eat
3. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
(a) a letter from his mother
(b) answers to test questions
(c) a countdown to the holidays
(d) a photo of Eileen
4. What happens when summer vacation is over for Stephen?
(a) Stephen finds a steady job.
(b) Stephen's family moves again.
(c) Stephen works out on the track with Mike.
(d) Stephen does not return to Clongowes.
5. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
(a) Christmas holidays
(b) a relapse of his illness
(c) his father's heart attack
(d) his sister's wedding
6. What is demanded by boys Stephen meets on the road?
(a) an introduction to Mercedes
(b) money for his lunch
(c) to play hookey that afternoon
(d) identification of his favorite poet
7. Why is Stephen exempted from his classes?
(a) because his glasses are broken
(b) because he was perfect on his exams
(c) because he is still running a fever
(d) because he broke his arm
8. What is the name of the character Stephen is fixated on?
(a) Minnie Cooper
(d) Bentley Ann
9. While onstage delivering his lines, who does Stephen see in the audience?
(a) the girl from the tram
(b) Father Arnall
(c) Uncle Charles and Dante
(d) his father with a strange woman
10. What habit does Stephen hang onto?
(a) his habit of writing poems
(b) his habit of cutting classes
(c) his habit of eavesdropping
(d) his habit of obedience
11. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
(a) He needs help to get out of the ditch.
(b) He plans a revenge.
(c) He talks his parents into taking him home.
(d) He becomes seriously ill.
12. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
(a) The rector dismisses Father Dolan.
(b) The rector agrees to speak to Father Dolan.
(c) The rector excuses Father Dolan.
(d) The rector punishes Stephen again.
13. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
(c) His mother
14. What does Stephen complain about to the rector?
(a) broken fingers
(b) broken blood vessels in his hands
(c) unjust punishment
(d) Father Dolan interfering in Father Arnall's class
15. After the punishment, what do the boys urge Stephen to do?
(a) call the police
(b) run away from the school
(c) put tacks in Father Dolan's chair
(d) visit the rector
Short Answer Questions
1. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
2. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
3. What was Stephen's early song?
4. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
5. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)