|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What habit does Stephen hang onto?
(a) his habit of eavesdropping
(b) his habit of writing poems
(c) his habit of obedience
(d) his habit of cutting classes
2. Where does Stephen keep himself during the football game?
(a) on the bench
(b) In the thick of the action
(c) on the fringes of his line
(d) next to the prefect
3. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
(a) stepped on her toes
(b) slapped her with his gloves
(c) showed her his backside
(d) spit tobacco juice in her eye
4. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
(a) He does not get new clothes.
(b) His mother takes in laundry.
(c) He notices slight changes around the house.
(d) His father sells the automobile.
5. After Blackrock, where does the family move?
(a) into less comfortable accommodations in Dublin
(b) to a small house in Belfast
(c) back into their old home
(d) to an apartment in London
6. What happens to Stephen's hands when Father Dolan does not believe his glasses broke by accident?
(a) They are given whacks with the pandybat.
(b) They are tied behind his back.
(c) They are pressed against the wall.
(d) They are placed in hot water.
7. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
(a) a boy named Wells
(b) a boy named Corrigan
(c) a boy named Tusker Boyle
(d) a boy named Simon Moonan
8. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
(a) closing and opening the flaps of his ears
(b) humming softly to himself
(c) putting beans in his ears
(d) shutting out sound by concentration on home
9. What is the name of the character Stephen is fixated on?
(c) Bentley Ann
(d) Minnie Cooper
10. What is the name of the school Stephen next enrolls in?
(a) Byron Academy
(c) Dublin Polytechnic
11. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
(a) a job interview
(b) a visit to a clinic
(c) the auction of his property
(d) Stephen's grandmother's funeral
12. What are Stephen's father and the priests always urging him to do?
(a) to enter the priesthood
(b) to confess his sins daily
(c) to be a gentleman and a good Catholic
(d) to work harder at his lessons
13. What does Stephen do immediately after the play?
(a) He rushes off.
(b) He goes to a cast party.
(c) He hides backstage.
(d) He looks for the girl.
14. What does Stephen complain about to the rector?
(a) broken blood vessels in his hands
(b) broken fingers
(c) unjust punishment
(d) Father Dolan interfering in Father Arnall's class
15. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
(c) His mother
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
2. For what does Stephen continually search?
3. Why does Uncle Charles no longer walk to the shops?
4. Who does Stephen suspect is also in the audience the night of the play?
5. By summer, where has the family moved?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)