|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
(a) his sister's wedding
(b) his father's heart attack
(c) a relapse of his illness
(d) Christmas holidays
2. What does Heron claim Lord Byron to be?
(a) to be an imposter
(b) to be a hack writer
(c) to be a Frenchman
(d) to be an immoral heretic
3. What does Stephen do immediately after the play?
(a) He rushes off.
(b) He looks for the girl.
(c) He hides backstage.
(d) He goes to a cast party.
4. What is the literary method used in the novel?
(b) metaphor and irony
(c) chronological account
(d) stream of consciousness
5. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
(a) that she was in a hurry to leave
(b) that her hat was on backwards
(c) that she wore too much perfume
(d) that she was going to cry
6. What is the name of the character Stephen is fixated on?
(a) Bentley Ann
(d) Minnie Cooper
7. What is the name of the school Stephen next enrolls in?
(c) Byron Academy
(d) Dublin Polytechnic
8. What do Stephen and Aubrey do in the meadow?
(a) ride a mare in the field
(b) look for buried treasure
(c) play football
(d) pretend to be pirates
9. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
(a) as a hero
(b) as a sneak
(c) as an enemy
(d) as a tattle tale
10. What public transportation does Stephen take?
(a) market carts
(b) horse drawn trams
(c) shank's mare
(d) new motor buses
11. What job is given to Stephen?
(a) carrying messages
(b) doing laundry
(c) delivering newspapers
(d) unpacking boxes
12. What are Stephen's father and the priests always urging him to do?
(a) to work harder at his lessons
(b) to be a gentleman and a good Catholic
(c) to confess his sins daily
(d) to enter the priesthood
13. By summer, where has the family moved?
14. Who bumps Stephen into a square ditch of slimy, cold water?
(a) the language teacher
(b) a boy named Wells
(c) a boy named Fleming
(d) the prefect
15. Where does Stephen imagine he will live when he gets married?
(a) in an apartment in London
(b) in a small, whitewashed house outside of Blackrock
(c) in a three storey house in Dublin
(d) on a houseboat
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Stephen feel happy?
2. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
3. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
4. Where do Stephen and his father go at night by rail?
5. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)