|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job is given to Stephen?
(a) carrying messages
(b) delivering newspapers
(c) unpacking boxes
(d) doing laundry
2. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
(a) large print
(b) funny illustrations
(c) margin notes he wrote
(d) nice sentences
3. What public transportation does Stephen take?
(a) market carts
(b) shank's mare
(c) horse drawn trams
(d) new motor buses
4. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
(a) The rector dismisses Father Dolan.
(b) The rector punishes Stephen again.
(c) The rector excuses Father Dolan.
(d) The rector agrees to speak to Father Dolan.
5. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
(a) that her hat was on backwards
(b) that she wore too much perfume
(c) that she was in a hurry to leave
(d) that she was going to cry
6. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
(a) He needs help to get out of the ditch.
(b) He plans a revenge.
(c) He talks his parents into taking him home.
(d) He becomes seriously ill.
7. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
(a) if it is a sin
(b) if he will have a stroke
(c) if it means trouble
(d) if he hates boys
8. By summer, where has the family moved?
9. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
(a) writing letters to Eileen
(b) kissing his mother before bedtime
(c) wearing short pants
(d) wetting his bed
10. Who gets into an argument during Christmas dinner?
(a) Dante and Uncle Charles
(b) Mother and Father
(c) Dante and Mr. Casey
(d) Stephen and Father
11. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
(a) His glasses break.
(b) He gets a bloody nose.
(c) He fights back.
(d) He runs away from Clongowes.
12. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
(a) as a hero
(b) as a tattle tale
(c) as an enemy
(d) as a sneak
13. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
(a) How much she looks like Mercedes.
(b) How he could easily catch hold of her and kiss her.
(c) How she is too old for him.
(d) How he would like to kick her.
14. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
(a) He wonders why adults like to talk so much.
(b) He begins to formulate new political ideas.
(c) He takes in everything and understands.
(d) He does not understand fully what they talk about.
15. What do Stephen and Aubrey Mills formulate?
(a) a team to make money
(b) a blood brother pact
(c) ways to meet girls
(d) imaginary adventures
Short Answer Questions
1. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
2. What does Stephen do about new words he hears the adults use?
3. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
4. What is the literary method used in the novel?
5. After the punishment, what are Flemming and Stephen told to do?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)