|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Stephen continually search?
(a) for his friend Aubrey
(b) for his Mercedes
(c) for his fortune
(d) for a job
2. What comment does Father make that he is admonished not to say in front of Stephen?
(a) Stephen's father calls the language of the Holy Ghost "bad language."
(b) Stephen's father calls the British "the saviors of Ireland."
(c) Stephen's father calls all priests "instruments of the devil."
(d) Stephen's father calls religious education a "blight on the land."
3. What do Stephen and Aubrey Mills formulate?
(a) a blood brother pact
(b) imaginary adventures
(c) a team to make money
(d) ways to meet girls
4. What is demanded by boys Stephen meets on the road?
(a) an introduction to Mercedes
(b) identification of his favorite poet
(c) money for his lunch
(d) to play hookey that afternoon
5. What emotion does Stephen have over the reversal of his family's fortunes?
6. What habit does Stephen hang onto?
(a) his habit of writing poems
(b) his habit of eavesdropping
(c) his habit of cutting classes
(d) his habit of obedience
7. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
(a) Father Dolan
(b) Father O'Casey
(c) Father Parnell
(d) Father Arnall
8. During table conversation, what is a local Catholic priest accused of?
(a) teaching apostacy
(b) molesting children
(c) mixing politics into his sermons
(d) getting drunk on communion wine
9. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
(a) He calls her Mercedes.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He helps her off the tram.
(d) He sits her in his lap.
10. What does Stephen do immediately after the play?
(a) He goes to a cast party.
(b) He rushes off.
(c) He looks for the girl.
(d) He hides backstage.
11. Why does Uncle Charles no longer walk to the shops?
(a) He drives a new carriage.
(b) He has grown too senile.
(c) He has a broken leg.
(d) He is ashamed of his clothes.
12. What is the literary method used in the novel?
(a) metaphor and irony
(b) chronological account
(d) stream of consciousness
13. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
(a) that she was in a hurry to leave
(b) that her hat was on backwards
(c) that she wore too much perfume
(d) that she was going to cry
14. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
(a) a boy named Simon Moonan
(b) a boy named Tusker Boyle
(c) a boy named Wells
(d) a boy named Corrigan
15. What happens when summer vacation is over for Stephen?
(a) Stephen does not return to Clongowes.
(b) Stephen finds a steady job.
(c) Stephen's family moves again.
(d) Stephen works out on the track with Mike.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen do about new words he hears the adults use?
2. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
3. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
4. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
5. What is the name of the school Stephen next enrolls in?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)