|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
(a) He takes in everything and understands.
(b) He begins to formulate new political ideas.
(c) He does not understand fully what they talk about.
(d) He wonders why adults like to talk so much.
2. What was Stephen's early song?
(a) The Irish Lullaby
(b) Old Dan tucker
(c) In the Gloaming
(d) O, the Wild Rose Blooms
3. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
(a) a letter from his mother
(b) a photo of Eileen
(c) a countdown to the holidays
(d) answers to test questions
4. What is the name of the school Stephen next enrolls in?
(a) Dublin Polytechnic
(c) Byron Academy
5. What does Stephen complain about to the rector?
(a) unjust punishment
(b) broken blood vessels in his hands
(c) broken fingers
(d) Father Dolan interfering in Father Arnall's class
6. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
(a) They spit in the holy water.
(b) They went to sea.
(c) They drank communion wine.
(d) They stole from the collection box.
7. When does Stephen feel happy?
(a) only when he sees the girl from the tram
(b) only when he is alone
(c) only when he thinks of Mercedes
(d) only when he has a sweet to eat
8. Where does Stephen imagine he will live when he gets married?
(a) on a houseboat
(b) in a small, whitewashed house outside of Blackrock
(c) in a three storey house in Dublin
(d) in an apartment in London
9. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
(a) wetting his bed
(b) kissing his mother before bedtime
(c) writing letters to Eileen
(d) wearing short pants
10. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
(a) He notices slight changes around the house.
(b) His mother takes in laundry.
(c) He does not get new clothes.
(d) His father sells the automobile.
11. What political figure becomes a topic of conversation and disagreement among the adults?
12. Who bumps Stephen into a square ditch of slimy, cold water?
(a) the language teacher
(b) a boy named Fleming
(c) the prefect
(d) a boy named Wells
13. What is the name of the character Stephen is fixated on?
(a) Minnie Cooper
(c) Bentley Ann
14. After the punishment, what are Flemming and Stephen told to do?
(a) return to their seats
(b) stand in the corner
(c) sit on the floor
15. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
(a) How he could easily catch hold of her and kiss her.
(b) How he would like to kick her.
(c) How much she looks like Mercedes.
(d) How she is too old for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Uncle Charles no longer walk to the shops?
2. What is demanded by boys Stephen meets on the road?
3. What habit does Stephen hang onto?
4. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
5. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)