|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Stephen's father and the priests always urging him to do?
(a) to confess his sins daily
(b) to be a gentleman and a good Catholic
(c) to work harder at his lessons
(d) to enter the priesthood
2. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
(a) spit tobacco juice in her eye
(b) showed her his backside
(c) stepped on her toes
(d) slapped her with his gloves
3. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
(a) He wonders why adults like to talk so much.
(b) He takes in everything and understands.
(c) He does not understand fully what they talk about.
(d) He begins to formulate new political ideas.
4. After Blackrock, where does the family move?
(a) back into their old home
(b) to an apartment in London
(c) into less comfortable accommodations in Dublin
(d) to a small house in Belfast
5. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
(a) They were caught peeping into ladies' bedrooms.
(b) They were caught "smugging" in the square with two younger boys.
(c) They were showing their bottoms to ladies on the street.
(d) They had smuggled a prostitute into the school
6. Who bumps Stephen into a square ditch of slimy, cold water?
(a) the prefect
(b) a boy named Fleming
(c) the language teacher
(d) a boy named Wells
7. Why is Stephen exempted from his classes?
(a) because he broke his arm
(b) because his glasses are broken
(c) because he is still running a fever
(d) because he was perfect on his exams
8. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
(a) a boy named Wells
(b) a boy named Simon Moonan
(c) a boy named Tusker Boyle
(d) a boy named Corrigan
9. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
(a) He kisses her.
(b) He sits her in his lap.
(c) He helps her off the tram.
(d) He calls her Mercedes.
10. What do Stephen and Aubrey Mills formulate?
(a) a blood brother pact
(b) ways to meet girls
(c) a team to make money
(d) imaginary adventures
11. At school, what is the unusual word Stephen sees carved into a desk?
12. What happens to Stephen's hands when Father Dolan does not believe his glasses broke by accident?
(a) They are tied behind his back.
(b) They are placed in hot water.
(c) They are given whacks with the pandybat.
(d) They are pressed against the wall.
13. After what does Stephen model his poem titles in his notebook?
(a) the collected poems of Lord Byron
(b) odes by Keats
(c) newspaper headlines
(d) the Canterbury Tales
14. What was Stephen's early song?
(a) O, the Wild Rose Blooms
(b) Old Dan tucker
(c) In the Gloaming
(d) The Irish Lullaby
15. What is a major theme of the book?
(a) Catholic education versus public education
(b) Catholicism versus Protestantism
(c) Irish nationalism and Irish identity
(d) Coming of age
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stephen imagine he will live when he gets married?
2. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
3. During table conversation, what is a local Catholic priest accused of?
4. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
5. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)