|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen do immediately after the play?
(a) He goes to a cast party.
(b) He looks for the girl.
(c) He rushes off.
(d) He hides backstage.
2. What is demanded by boys Stephen meets on the road?
(a) to play hookey that afternoon
(b) identification of his favorite poet
(c) money for his lunch
(d) an introduction to Mercedes
3. What does Stephen do about new words he hears the adults use?
(a) makes a list but does not spell them correctly
(b) interrupts conversation to ask their meanings
(c) tries to use them in his own conversation
(d) figures out their meanings
4. By summer, where has the family moved?
5. What happens when summer vacation is over for Stephen?
(a) Stephen finds a steady job.
(b) Stephen works out on the track with Mike.
(c) Stephen's family moves again.
(d) Stephen does not return to Clongowes.
6. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
(a) as a hero
(b) as a sneak
(c) as a tattle tale
(d) as an enemy
7. What is the literary method used in the novel?
(b) metaphor and irony
(c) stream of consciousness
(d) chronological account
8. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
(a) Irish legends and music
(b) mostly of politics and family legends
(c) religion and business
(d) gambling and drinking
9. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
(a) He kisses her.
(b) He helps her off the tram.
(c) He sits her in his lap.
(d) He calls her Mercedes.
10. Who bumps Stephen into a square ditch of slimy, cold water?
(a) a boy named Wells
(b) the prefect
(c) a boy named Fleming
(d) the language teacher
11. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
(a) margin notes he wrote
(b) nice sentences
(c) large print
(d) funny illustrations
12. What was Stephen's early song?
(a) The Irish Lullaby
(b) Old Dan tucker
(c) In the Gloaming
(d) O, the Wild Rose Blooms
13. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
(a) How he could easily catch hold of her and kiss her.
(b) How he would like to kick her.
(c) How much she looks like Mercedes.
(d) How she is too old for him.
14. What makes Stephen angry with himself?
(a) his lack of proper education
(b) his lack of ambition
(c) his youth and foolish impulses
(d) his inability to express himself
15. Who gets into an argument during Christmas dinner?
(a) Dante and Uncle Charles
(b) Stephen and Father
(c) Mother and Father
(d) Dante and Mr. Casey
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stephen keep himself during the football game?
2. During table conversation, what is a local Catholic priest accused of?
3. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
4. What are Stephen's father and the priests always urging him to do?
5. Why is Stephen exempted from his classes?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)