|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
(a) showed her his backside
(b) slapped her with his gloves
(c) stepped on her toes
(d) spit tobacco juice in her eye
2. What does Stephen do immediately after the play?
(a) He rushes off.
(b) He looks for the girl.
(c) He hides backstage.
(d) He goes to a cast party.
3. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
(a) a choice between flogging or public humiliation
(b) a choice between flogging or the gauntlet
(c) a choice between flogging and expulsion
(d) a choice between flogging or the stocks
4. What do Stephen and Aubrey Mills formulate?
(a) a team to make money
(b) a blood brother pact
(c) ways to meet girls
(d) imaginary adventures
5. What emotion does Stephen have over the reversal of his family's fortunes?
6. What does Stephen do about new words he hears the adults use?
(a) figures out their meanings
(b) interrupts conversation to ask their meanings
(c) tries to use them in his own conversation
(d) makes a list but does not spell them correctly
7. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
(a) a boy named Corrigan
(b) a boy named Tusker Boyle
(c) a boy named Simon Moonan
(d) a boy named Wells
8. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
(a) kissing his mother before bedtime
(b) wetting his bed
(c) writing letters to Eileen
(d) wearing short pants
9. After what does Stephen model his poem titles in his notebook?
(a) odes by Keats
(b) the Canterbury Tales
(c) newspaper headlines
(d) the collected poems of Lord Byron
10. Who gets into an argument during Christmas dinner?
(a) Dante and Uncle Charles
(b) Mother and Father
(c) Dante and Mr. Casey
(d) Stephen and Father
11. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
(a) Irish legends and music
(b) gambling and drinking
(c) religion and business
(d) mostly of politics and family legends
12. Who does Stephen know for sure is in the audience for a play he is in at school?
(a) Uncle Charles
(d) his father
13. What job is given to Stephen?
(a) doing laundry
(b) delivering newspapers
(c) carrying messages
(d) unpacking boxes
14. Where does Stephen keep himself during the football game?
(a) next to the prefect
(b) In the thick of the action
(c) on the bench
(d) on the fringes of his line
15. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
(a) the wasting fires of lust
(b) the bad influences of his friends
(c) the lack of faith
(d) the need to make money
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
2. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
3. What public transportation does Stephen take?
4. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
5. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)