Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
(a) They were caught peeping into ladies' bedrooms.
(b) They had smuggled a prostitute into the school
(c) They were caught "smugging" in the square with two younger boys.
(d) They were showing their bottoms to ladies on the street.
2. After the punishment, what do the boys urge Stephen to do?
(a) call the police
(b) run away from the school
(c) visit the rector
(d) put tacks in Father Dolan's chair
3. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
(a) a countdown to the holidays
(b) answers to test questions
(c) a photo of Eileen
(d) a letter from his mother
4. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
(a) a visit to a clinic
(b) the auction of his property
(c) a job interview
(d) Stephen's grandmother's funeral
5. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
(a) mostly of politics and family legends
(b) religion and business
(c) gambling and drinking
(d) Irish legends and music
6. What was Stephen's early song?
(a) O, the Wild Rose Blooms
(b) The Irish Lullaby
(c) Old Dan tucker
(d) In the Gloaming
7. At school, what is the unusual word Stephen sees carved into a desk?
8. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
(a) that her hat was on backwards
(b) that she was in a hurry to leave
(c) that she wore too much perfume
(d) that she was going to cry
9. What is the name of the school Stephen next enrolls in?
(a) Dublin Polytechnic
(b) Byron Academy
10. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
(a) They drank communion wine.
(b) They went to sea.
(c) They stole from the collection box.
(d) They spit in the holy water.
11. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
(a) showed her his backside
(b) spit tobacco juice in her eye
(c) slapped her with his gloves
(d) stepped on her toes
12. What happens to Stephen's hands when Father Dolan does not believe his glasses broke by accident?
(a) They are tied behind his back.
(b) They are pressed against the wall.
(c) They are placed in hot water.
(d) They are given whacks with the pandybat.
13. After the punishment, what are Flemming and Stephen told to do?
(a) stand in the corner
(c) sit on the floor
(d) return to their seats
14. After what does Stephen model his poem titles in his notebook?
(a) the Canterbury Tales
(b) odes by Keats
(c) newspaper headlines
(d) the collected poems of Lord Byron
15. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
(a) The rector dismisses Father Dolan.
(b) The rector punishes Stephen again.
(c) The rector excuses Father Dolan.
(d) The rector agrees to speak to Father Dolan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the literary method used in the novel?
2. Why does Uncle Charles no longer walk to the shops?
3. Why is Stephen exempted from his classes?
4. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
5. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)