|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
(a) stepped on her toes
(b) spit tobacco juice in her eye
(c) showed her his backside
(d) slapped her with his gloves
2. After Blackrock, where does the family move?
(a) to an apartment in London
(b) into less comfortable accommodations in Dublin
(c) back into their old home
(d) to a small house in Belfast
3. Who does Stephen suspect is also in the audience the night of the play?
(c) the girl from the tram
4. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
(a) He runs away from Clongowes.
(b) He fights back.
(c) He gets a bloody nose.
(d) His glasses break.
5. Who does Stephen know for sure is in the audience for a play he is in at school?
(a) Uncle Charles
(c) his father
6. What emotion does Stephen have over the reversal of his family's fortunes?
7. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
(a) writing letters to Eileen
(b) kissing his mother before bedtime
(c) wetting his bed
(d) wearing short pants
8. What political figure becomes a topic of conversation and disagreement among the adults?
9. What is the name of the character Stephen is fixated on?
(a) Bentley Ann
(b) Minnie Cooper
10. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
(a) Father Dolan
(b) Father O'Casey
(c) Father Arnall
(d) Father Parnell
11. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
(a) His mother takes in laundry.
(b) His father sells the automobile.
(c) He notices slight changes around the house.
(d) He does not get new clothes.
12. What happens to Stephen's hands when Father Dolan does not believe his glasses broke by accident?
(a) They are given whacks with the pandybat.
(b) They are tied behind his back.
(c) They are placed in hot water.
(d) They are pressed against the wall.
13. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
(a) funny illustrations
(b) margin notes he wrote
(c) nice sentences
(d) large print
14. Who gets into an argument during Christmas dinner?
(a) Dante and Mr. Casey
(b) Mother and Father
(c) Stephen and Father
(d) Dante and Uncle Charles
15. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
(a) a boy named Simon Moonan
(b) a boy named Corrigan
(c) a boy named Tusker Boyle
(d) a boy named Wells
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
2. What is the literary method used in the novel?
3. What public transportation does Stephen take?
4. After the punishment, what do the boys urge Stephen to do?
5. What does Stephen do immediately after the play?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)