|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Stephen suspect is also in the audience the night of the play?
(a) the girl from the tram
2. What habit does Stephen hang onto?
(a) his habit of obedience
(b) his habit of eavesdropping
(c) his habit of cutting classes
(d) his habit of writing poems
3. What do Stephen and Aubrey do in the meadow?
(a) play football
(b) ride a mare in the field
(c) pretend to be pirates
(d) look for buried treasure
4. What comment does Father make that he is admonished not to say in front of Stephen?
(a) Stephen's father calls all priests "instruments of the devil."
(b) Stephen's father calls religious education a "blight on the land."
(c) Stephen's father calls the British "the saviors of Ireland."
(d) Stephen's father calls the language of the Holy Ghost "bad language."
5. What is the name of the school Stephen next enrolls in?
(a) Byron Academy
(d) Dublin Polytechnic
6. Where do Stephen and his father go at night by rail?
(a) to Gallway
(b) to Belfast
(c) to Cork
(d) to Clongowes
7. What public transportation does Stephen take?
(a) shank's mare
(b) market carts
(c) horse drawn trams
(d) new motor buses
8. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
(a) as an enemy
(b) as a sneak
(c) as a hero
(d) as a tattle tale
9. What happens when summer vacation is over for Stephen?
(a) Stephen does not return to Clongowes.
(b) Stephen works out on the track with Mike.
(c) Stephen finds a steady job.
(d) Stephen's family moves again.
10. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
(a) a boy named Wells
(b) a boy named Simon Moonan
(c) a boy named Corrigan
(d) a boy named Tusker Boyle
11. What is the name of the character Stephen is fixated on?
(a) Bentley Ann
(d) Minnie Cooper
12. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
(a) They were caught "smugging" in the square with two younger boys.
(b) They were showing their bottoms to ladies on the street.
(c) They were caught peeping into ladies' bedrooms.
(d) They had smuggled a prostitute into the school
13. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
(a) a visit to a clinic
(b) the auction of his property
(c) Stephen's grandmother's funeral
(d) a job interview
14. Who suggests that Stephen broke his glasses himself in order to get out of his schoolwork?
(a) Father Arnall
(b) Tusker Boyle
(c) Father Dolan
(d) the bully Wells
15. After the punishment, what are Flemming and Stephen told to do?
(a) stand in the corner
(b) return to their seats
(c) sit on the floor
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
2. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
3. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
4. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
5. After what does Stephen model his poem titles in his notebook?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)