|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
(a) if it is a sin
(b) if it means trouble
(c) if he hates boys
(d) if he will have a stroke
2. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
(a) Father Arnall
(b) Father Parnell
(c) Father O'Casey
(d) Father Dolan
3. What emotion does Stephen have over the reversal of his family's fortunes?
4. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
(a) a choice between flogging or the stocks
(b) a choice between flogging and expulsion
(c) a choice between flogging or public humiliation
(d) a choice between flogging or the gauntlet
5. Where does Stephen imagine he will live when he gets married?
(a) in a three storey house in Dublin
(b) in a small, whitewashed house outside of Blackrock
(c) on a houseboat
(d) in an apartment in London
6. What happens when summer vacation is over for Stephen?
(a) Stephen works out on the track with Mike.
(b) Stephen's family moves again.
(c) Stephen does not return to Clongowes.
(d) Stephen finds a steady job.
7. What is the literary method used in the novel?
(a) chronological account
(b) metaphor and irony
(c) stream of consciousness
8. At school, what is the unusual word Stephen sees carved into a desk?
9. What public transportation does Stephen take?
(a) horse drawn trams
(b) market carts
(c) new motor buses
(d) shank's mare
10. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
(a) He begins to formulate new political ideas.
(b) He wonders why adults like to talk so much.
(c) He takes in everything and understands.
(d) He does not understand fully what they talk about.
11. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
(a) How he could easily catch hold of her and kiss her.
(b) How much she looks like Mercedes.
(c) How he would like to kick her.
(d) How she is too old for him.
12. When does Stephen feel happy?
(a) only when he is alone
(b) only when he thinks of Mercedes
(c) only when he sees the girl from the tram
(d) only when he has a sweet to eat
13. What makes Stephen angry with himself?
(a) his lack of proper education
(b) his lack of ambition
(c) his inability to express himself
(d) his youth and foolish impulses
14. Who does Stephen know for sure is in the audience for a play he is in at school?
(a) his father
(c) Uncle Charles
15. What job is given to Stephen?
(a) unpacking boxes
(b) carrying messages
(c) delivering newspapers
(d) doing laundry
Short Answer Questions
1. While onstage delivering his lines, who does Stephen see in the audience?
2. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
3. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
4. Who bumps Stephen into a square ditch of slimy, cold water?
5. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)