Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What habit does Stephen hang onto?
(a) his habit of writing poems
(b) his habit of cutting classes
(c) his habit of eavesdropping
(d) his habit of obedience
2. What is the name of the character Stephen is fixated on?
(a) Bentley Ann
(b) Minnie Cooper
3. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
(a) He plans a revenge.
(b) He becomes seriously ill.
(c) He needs help to get out of the ditch.
(d) He talks his parents into taking him home.
4. What do Stephen and Aubrey Mills formulate?
(a) a blood brother pact
(b) imaginary adventures
(c) ways to meet girls
(d) a team to make money
5. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
(a) Christmas holidays
(b) his father's heart attack
(c) a relapse of his illness
(d) his sister's wedding
6. While onstage delivering his lines, who does Stephen see in the audience?
(a) Father Arnall
(b) his father with a strange woman
(c) Uncle Charles and Dante
(d) the girl from the tram
7. When does Stephen feel happy?
(a) only when he has a sweet to eat
(b) only when he thinks of Mercedes
(c) only when he sees the girl from the tram
(d) only when he is alone
8. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
(a) if it means trouble
(b) if it is a sin
(c) if he hates boys
(d) if he will have a stroke
9. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
(a) Father Dolan
(b) Father Parnell
(c) Father Arnall
(d) Father O'Casey
10. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
(a) His glasses break.
(b) He gets a bloody nose.
(c) He runs away from Clongowes.
(d) He fights back.
11. What happens to Stephen's hands when Father Dolan does not believe his glasses broke by accident?
(a) They are pressed against the wall.
(b) They are given whacks with the pandybat.
(c) They are tied behind his back.
(d) They are placed in hot water.
12. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
(a) religion and business
(b) Irish legends and music
(c) gambling and drinking
(d) mostly of politics and family legends
13. After Blackrock, where does the family move?
(a) to an apartment in London
(b) back into their old home
(c) to a small house in Belfast
(d) into less comfortable accommodations in Dublin
14. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
(a) a photo of Eileen
(b) answers to test questions
(c) a letter from his mother
(d) a countdown to the holidays
15. What emotion does Stephen have over the reversal of his family's fortunes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
2. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
3. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
4. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
5. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)