|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Stephen and his father go at night by rail?
(a) to Belfast
(b) to Clongowes
(c) to Gallway
(d) to Cork
2. What does Stephen figure out about his not returning to Clongowes?
(a) They plan to send him to England to study.
(b) From then on he will be home schooled.
(c) His father has converted to Protestantism.
(d) It signifies a change in his father's finances.
3. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
(a) He takes in everything and understands.
(b) He does not understand fully what they talk about.
(c) He wonders why adults like to talk so much.
(d) He begins to formulate new political ideas.
4. Where does Stephen keep himself during the football game?
(a) on the bench
(b) on the fringes of his line
(c) next to the prefect
(d) In the thick of the action
5. What makes Stephen angry with himself?
(a) his lack of proper education
(b) his inability to express himself
(c) his lack of ambition
(d) his youth and foolish impulses
6. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
(a) the need to make money
(b) the wasting fires of lust
(c) the bad influences of his friends
(d) the lack of faith
7. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
(a) a photo of Eileen
(b) a letter from his mother
(c) a countdown to the holidays
(d) answers to test questions
8. What do Stephen and Aubrey Mills formulate?
(a) imaginary adventures
(b) ways to meet girls
(c) a blood brother pact
(d) a team to make money
9. What does Stephen do immediately after the play?
(a) He rushes off.
(b) He looks for the girl.
(c) He hides backstage.
(d) He goes to a cast party.
10. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
(a) His father sells the automobile.
(b) He notices slight changes around the house.
(c) He does not get new clothes.
(d) His mother takes in laundry.
11. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
(a) Father Arnall
(b) Father Dolan
(c) Father O'Casey
(d) Father Parnell
12. While onstage delivering his lines, who does Stephen see in the audience?
(a) Father Arnall
(b) Uncle Charles and Dante
(c) his father with a strange woman
(d) the girl from the tram
13. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
(a) gambling and drinking
(b) religion and business
(c) Irish legends and music
(d) mostly of politics and family legends
14. What does Stephen complain about to the rector?
(a) broken blood vessels in his hands
(b) unjust punishment
(c) Father Dolan interfering in Father Arnall's class
(d) broken fingers
15. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
(a) He helps her off the tram.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He calls her Mercedes.
(d) He sits her in his lap.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Stephen exempted from his classes?
2. What comment does Father make that he is admonished not to say in front of Stephen?
3. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
4. Why does Uncle Charles no longer walk to the shops?
5. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)