|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
(a) a boy named Simon Moonan
(b) a boy named Tusker Boyle
(c) a boy named Wells
(d) a boy named Corrigan
2. What does Heron claim Lord Byron to be?
(a) to be a hack writer
(b) to be a Frenchman
(c) to be an immoral heretic
(d) to be an imposter
3. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
(a) He plans a revenge.
(b) He becomes seriously ill.
(c) He talks his parents into taking him home.
(d) He needs help to get out of the ditch.
4. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
(a) the auction of his property
(b) a visit to a clinic
(c) Stephen's grandmother's funeral
(d) a job interview
5. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
(a) a relapse of his illness
(b) Christmas holidays
(c) his sister's wedding
(d) his father's heart attack
6. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
(a) the need to make money
(b) the bad influences of his friends
(c) the wasting fires of lust
(d) the lack of faith
7. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
(a) a letter from his mother
(b) answers to test questions
(c) a photo of Eileen
(d) a countdown to the holidays
8. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
(a) How he would like to kick her.
(b) How much she looks like Mercedes.
(c) How he could easily catch hold of her and kiss her.
(d) How she is too old for him.
9. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
(a) He runs away from Clongowes.
(b) He fights back.
(c) His glasses break.
(d) He gets a bloody nose.
10. What was Stephen's early song?
(a) The Irish Lullaby
(b) In the Gloaming
(c) O, the Wild Rose Blooms
(d) Old Dan tucker
11. What political figure becomes a topic of conversation and disagreement among the adults?
12. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
(a) stepped on her toes
(b) slapped her with his gloves
(c) showed her his backside
(d) spit tobacco juice in her eye
13. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
(a) wearing short pants
(b) writing letters to Eileen
(c) wetting his bed
(d) kissing his mother before bedtime
14. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
(a) His mother takes in laundry.
(b) His father sells the automobile.
(c) He notices slight changes around the house.
(d) He does not get new clothes.
15. What does Stephen do immediately after the play?
(a) He rushes off.
(b) He looks for the girl.
(c) He goes to a cast party.
(d) He hides backstage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
2. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
3. Where do Stephen and his father go at night by rail?
4. Where does Stephen imagine he will live when he gets married?
5. While onstage delivering his lines, who does Stephen see in the audience?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)