|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
(a) How she is too old for him.
(b) How much she looks like Mercedes.
(c) How he could easily catch hold of her and kiss her.
(d) How he would like to kick her.
2. What does Stephen complain about to the rector?
(a) unjust punishment
(b) broken blood vessels in his hands
(c) broken fingers
(d) Father Dolan interfering in Father Arnall's class
3. Who bumps Stephen into a square ditch of slimy, cold water?
(a) a boy named Fleming
(b) a boy named Wells
(c) the language teacher
(d) the prefect
4. What was Stephen's early song?
(a) In the Gloaming
(b) The Irish Lullaby
(c) Old Dan tucker
(d) O, the Wild Rose Blooms
5. What is the name of the school Stephen next enrolls in?
(c) Byron Academy
(d) Dublin Polytechnic
6. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
(a) large print
(b) nice sentences
(c) margin notes he wrote
(d) funny illustrations
7. Where do Stephen and his father go at night by rail?
(a) to Clongowes
(b) to Belfast
(c) to Cork
(d) to Gallway
8. What emotion does Stephen have over the reversal of his family's fortunes?
9. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
(a) as flawless beings
(b) as irreligious
(c) as avenging angels of God
(d) as merciless oppressors
10. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
(a) Stephen's grandmother's funeral
(b) a visit to a clinic
(c) a job interview
(d) the auction of his property
11. For what does Stephen continually search?
(a) for his friend Aubrey
(b) for his fortune
(c) for a job
(d) for his Mercedes
12. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
(a) Father Arnall
(b) Father O'Casey
(c) Father Dolan
(d) Father Parnell
13. What is demanded by boys Stephen meets on the road?
(a) to play hookey that afternoon
(b) an introduction to Mercedes
(c) identification of his favorite poet
(d) money for his lunch
14. Where does Stephen imagine he will live when he gets married?
(a) in a small, whitewashed house outside of Blackrock
(b) on a houseboat
(c) in an apartment in London
(d) in a three storey house in Dublin
15. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
(a) as an enemy
(b) as a hero
(c) as a tattle tale
(d) as a sneak
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mike Flynn?
2. Why does Uncle Charles no longer walk to the shops?
3. While onstage delivering his lines, who does Stephen see in the audience?
4. What does Stephen do about new words he hears the adults use?
5. What habit does Stephen hang onto?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)