|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
(a) They went to sea.
(b) They stole from the collection box.
(c) They spit in the holy water.
(d) They drank communion wine.
2. After the punishment, what are Flemming and Stephen told to do?
(b) stand in the corner
(c) sit on the floor
(d) return to their seats
3. What do Stephen and Aubrey do in the meadow?
(a) ride a mare in the field
(b) play football
(c) pretend to be pirates
(d) look for buried treasure
4. Who is Mike Flynn?
(a) The man who who supervises Stephen's runs around the track.
(b) The man Stephen goes to work for.
(c) The man who buys Stephen's father's business.
(d) The man Stephen's father works for.
5. What is Stephen's favorite reading material?
(a) The Pickwick Papers
(b) the newspaper
(c) comic books
(d) The Count of Monte Cristo
6. What is the name of the character Stephen is fixated on?
(b) Bentley Ann
(d) Minnie Cooper
7. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
(a) the need to make money
(b) the bad influences of his friends
(c) the wasting fires of lust
(d) the lack of faith
8. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
(a) They were showing their bottoms to ladies on the street.
(b) They were caught "smugging" in the square with two younger boys.
(c) They were caught peeping into ladies' bedrooms.
(d) They had smuggled a prostitute into the school
9. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
(a) How much she looks like Mercedes.
(b) How she is too old for him.
(c) How he would like to kick her.
(d) How he could easily catch hold of her and kiss her.
10. Where does Stephen imagine he will live when he gets married?
(a) on a houseboat
(b) in a three storey house in Dublin
(c) in a small, whitewashed house outside of Blackrock
(d) in an apartment in London
11. What makes Stephen angry with himself?
(a) his youth and foolish impulses
(b) his lack of ambition
(c) his inability to express himself
(d) his lack of proper education
12. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
(a) He calls her Mercedes.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He sits her in his lap.
(d) He helps her off the tram.
13. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
(a) his sister's wedding
(b) Christmas holidays
(c) his father's heart attack
(d) a relapse of his illness
14. At school, what is the unusual word Stephen sees carved into a desk?
15. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
(a) a job interview
(b) a visit to a clinic
(c) Stephen's grandmother's funeral
(d) the auction of his property
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Stephen and his father go at night by rail?
2. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
3. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
4. What habit does Stephen hang onto?
5. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)