|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
(a) kissing his mother before bedtime
(b) wearing short pants
(c) wetting his bed
(d) writing letters to Eileen
2. What do Stephen and Aubrey Mills formulate?
(a) ways to meet girls
(b) imaginary adventures
(c) a blood brother pact
(d) a team to make money
3. What emotion does Stephen have over the reversal of his family's fortunes?
4. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
(a) His father sells the automobile.
(b) He notices slight changes around the house.
(c) He does not get new clothes.
(d) His mother takes in laundry.
5. What does Stephen complain about to the rector?
(a) broken fingers
(b) broken blood vessels in his hands
(c) unjust punishment
(d) Father Dolan interfering in Father Arnall's class
6. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
(a) a visit to a clinic
(b) a job interview
(c) Stephen's grandmother's funeral
(d) the auction of his property
7. For what does Stephen continually search?
(a) for his fortune
(b) for a job
(c) for his Mercedes
(d) for his friend Aubrey
8. What is the name of the character Stephen is fixated on?
(a) Bentley Ann
(c) Minnie Cooper
9. What makes Stephen angry with himself?
(a) his lack of ambition
(b) his inability to express himself
(c) his lack of proper education
(d) his youth and foolish impulses
10. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
(a) The rector punishes Stephen again.
(b) The rector agrees to speak to Father Dolan.
(c) The rector excuses Father Dolan.
(d) The rector dismisses Father Dolan.
11. What job is given to Stephen?
(a) unpacking boxes
(b) carrying messages
(c) doing laundry
(d) delivering newspapers
12. Who does Stephen know for sure is in the audience for a play he is in at school?
(a) his father
(b) Uncle Charles
13. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
(a) that her hat was on backwards
(b) that she wore too much perfume
(c) that she was going to cry
(d) that she was in a hurry to leave
14. While onstage delivering his lines, who does Stephen see in the audience?
(a) the girl from the tram
(b) his father with a strange woman
(c) Father Arnall
(d) Uncle Charles and Dante
15. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
(a) as irreligious
(b) as merciless oppressors
(c) as flawless beings
(d) as avenging angels of God
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the school Stephen next enrolls in?
2. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
3. Where does Stephen imagine he will live when he gets married?
4. What political figure becomes a topic of conversation and disagreement among the adults?
5. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)