|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen do about new words he hears the adults use?
(a) makes a list but does not spell them correctly
(b) interrupts conversation to ask their meanings
(c) tries to use them in his own conversation
(d) figures out their meanings
2. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
(a) How he would like to kick her.
(b) How much she looks like Mercedes.
(c) How he could easily catch hold of her and kiss her.
(d) How she is too old for him.
3. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
(a) His father sells the automobile.
(b) His mother takes in laundry.
(c) He notices slight changes around the house.
(d) He does not get new clothes.
4. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
(a) a boy named Wells
(b) a boy named Corrigan
(c) a boy named Simon Moonan
(d) a boy named Tusker Boyle
5. When does Stephen feel happy?
(a) only when he has a sweet to eat
(b) only when he sees the girl from the tram
(c) only when he thinks of Mercedes
(d) only when he is alone
6. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
(a) his sister's wedding
(b) Christmas holidays
(c) a relapse of his illness
(d) his father's heart attack
7. Who gets into an argument during Christmas dinner?
(a) Dante and Uncle Charles
(b) Dante and Mr. Casey
(c) Mother and Father
(d) Stephen and Father
8. During table conversation, what is a local Catholic priest accused of?
(a) teaching apostacy
(b) molesting children
(c) mixing politics into his sermons
(d) getting drunk on communion wine
9. What is a major theme of the book?
(a) Coming of age
(b) Catholicism versus Protestantism
(c) Irish nationalism and Irish identity
(d) Catholic education versus public education
10. What do Stephen and Aubrey Mills formulate?
(a) imaginary adventures
(b) a team to make money
(c) ways to meet girls
(d) a blood brother pact
11. After the punishment, what are Flemming and Stephen told to do?
(b) sit on the floor
(c) stand in the corner
(d) return to their seats
12. Who does Stephen know for sure is in the audience for a play he is in at school?
(b) his father
(d) Uncle Charles
13. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
(a) His mother
14. Why is Stephen exempted from his classes?
(a) because his glasses are broken
(b) because he was perfect on his exams
(c) because he is still running a fever
(d) because he broke his arm
15. Where does Stephen imagine he will live when he gets married?
(a) in an apartment in London
(b) on a houseboat
(c) in a three storey house in Dublin
(d) in a small, whitewashed house outside of Blackrock
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the school Stephen next enrolls in?
2. What makes Stephen angry with himself?
3. What happens when summer vacation is over for Stephen?
4. What political figure becomes a topic of conversation and disagreement among the adults?
5. After Blackrock, where does the family move?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)