|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
(a) a choice between flogging or public humiliation
(b) a choice between flogging or the gauntlet
(c) a choice between flogging and expulsion
(d) a choice between flogging or the stocks
2. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
(a) showed her his backside
(b) spit tobacco juice in her eye
(c) stepped on her toes
(d) slapped her with his gloves
3. While onstage delivering his lines, who does Stephen see in the audience?
(a) the girl from the tram
(b) his father with a strange woman
(c) Uncle Charles and Dante
(d) Father Arnall
4. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
(a) How much she looks like Mercedes.
(b) How he could easily catch hold of her and kiss her.
(c) How she is too old for him.
(d) How he would like to kick her.
5. Why is Stephen exempted from his classes?
(a) because he was perfect on his exams
(b) because his glasses are broken
(c) because he is still running a fever
(d) because he broke his arm
6. What political figure becomes a topic of conversation and disagreement among the adults?
7. What is the name of the character Stephen is fixated on?
(a) Minnie Cooper
(d) Bentley Ann
8. What is the literary method used in the novel?
(b) stream of consciousness
(c) metaphor and irony
(d) chronological account
9. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
(a) The rector excuses Father Dolan.
(b) The rector punishes Stephen again.
(c) The rector agrees to speak to Father Dolan.
(d) The rector dismisses Father Dolan.
10. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
(a) He becomes seriously ill.
(b) He plans a revenge.
(c) He needs help to get out of the ditch.
(d) He talks his parents into taking him home.
11. After what does Stephen model his poem titles in his notebook?
(a) the Canterbury Tales
(b) the collected poems of Lord Byron
(c) newspaper headlines
(d) odes by Keats
12. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
(a) They spit in the holy water.
(b) They went to sea.
(c) They drank communion wine.
(d) They stole from the collection box.
13. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
(a) He does not understand fully what they talk about.
(b) He takes in everything and understands.
(c) He wonders why adults like to talk so much.
(d) He begins to formulate new political ideas.
14. What does Heron claim Lord Byron to be?
(a) to be a hack writer
(b) to be an imposter
(c) to be an immoral heretic
(d) to be a Frenchman
15. What makes Stephen angry with himself?
(a) his youth and foolish impulses
(b) his lack of proper education
(c) his inability to express himself
(d) his lack of ambition
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
2. Who does Stephen suspect is also in the audience the night of the play?
3. What do Stephen and Aubrey do in the meadow?
4. By summer, where has the family moved?
5. Where does Stephen keep himself during the football game?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)