|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen figure out about his not returning to Clongowes?
(a) From then on he will be home schooled.
(b) It signifies a change in his father's finances.
(c) His father has converted to Protestantism.
(d) They plan to send him to England to study.
2. Which of Stephen's friends does he characterizes as a young peasant?
3. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
(a) He begins to formulate new political ideas.
(b) He does not understand fully what they talk about.
(c) He takes in everything and understands.
(d) He wonders why adults like to talk so much.
4. What does Stephen resolve to do?
(a) become a priest
(b) make up for his sinful past with every hour of his life
(c) find Emma and marry her
(d) go and preach to the prostitutes in the brothel
5. What happens when summer vacation is over for Stephen?
(a) Stephen does not return to Clongowes.
(b) Stephen finds a steady job.
(c) Stephen works out on the track with Mike.
(d) Stephen's family moves again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What goes through Stephen's head as he enters the confessional?
2. After the punishment, what are Flemming and Stephen told to do?
3. What does Stephen do about new words he hears the adults use?
4. When the rector enters the classroom, what does the boy behind Stephen want him to do?
5. What emotion does Stephen have over the reversal of his family's fortunes?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)