|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the preacher define sin?
(a) a giving in to our naturally base natures
(b) a wallowing in sinful mire
(c) a slap in the face of God
(d) a rebellion of the intellect, incompatible with our true nature
2. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
(c) His mother
3. What does Stephen discover when he returns home from the director's office?
(a) His father is in the hospital.
(b) They are all excited about his becoming a priest.
(c) The family is being forced to move again.
(d) Uncle Charles has died.
4. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
(a) He talks his parents into taking him home.
(b) He plans a revenge.
(c) He becomes seriously ill.
(d) He needs help to get out of the ditch.
5. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
(a) They went to sea.
(b) They drank communion wine.
(c) They stole from the collection box.
(d) They spit in the holy water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
2. What comment does Father make that he is admonished not to say in front of Stephen?
3. What does Stephen suddenly realize about his family relationships?
4. How does Stephen see himself because of his frequent visits to the brothel?
5. What does Stephen do about new words he hears the adults use?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)