|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
(a) a choice between flogging and expulsion
(b) a choice between flogging or public humiliation
(c) a choice between flogging or the stocks
(d) a choice between flogging or the gauntlet
2. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
(a) a letter from his mother
(b) answers to test questions
(c) a photo of Eileen
(d) a countdown to the holidays
3. What does the rector say the retreat signifies?
(a) a chance to enter the seminary
(b) a time off for good behavior
(c) a withdrawal from the worldly cares
(d) a dedication to better study
4. What public transportation does Stephen take?
(a) horse drawn trams
(b) market carts
(c) new motor buses
(d) shank's mare
5. What habit does Stephen hang onto?
(a) his habit of cutting classes
(b) his habit of eavesdropping
(c) his habit of obedience
(d) his habit of writing poems
Short Answer Questions
1. What response does Stephen give when Davin asks if he is Irish at all?
2. What is Davin's accusation against Stephen?
3. What is the symbolism used to show Stephen's returning to nature?
4. Why does Stephen refuse the sign a testimonial respecting universal peace?
5. Alone in his room, what does Stephen see when he closes his eyes?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)