|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
(a) Father O'Casey
(b) Father Dolan
(c) Father Arnall
(d) Father Parnell
2. What is Stephen coming to believe about gaining wisdom?
(a) It must come from his own experience.
(b) It must happen through a miracle.
(c) It must be learned through study.
(d) It must involve his family.
3. What is the symbolism used to show Stephen's returning to nature?
(a) removing his stockings and wading in the breakwater
(b) joining the boys to swim in the water
(c) whistling a response to the song birds
(d) picking up rocks for his collection
4. Who does one student say must be above such trivial questions as world peace?
(a) minor poets
(b) Irish Catholics
(c) intellectual snobs
(d) university students
5. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
(a) large print
(b) funny illustrations
(c) margin notes he wrote
(d) nice sentences
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen react to the announcement of the rector?
2. What sensations buoy Stephen's spirits as he walks to class?
3. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
4. Which of Stephen's friends does he characterizes as a young peasant?
5. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)