|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen find pleasing when he tires of Aristotle and Aquinas?
(a) the crunch of gravel beneath his feet
(b) the ideas he has for his own original work
(c) the songs of the Elizabethans
(d) the newspaper headlines
2. After what does Stephen model his poem titles in his notebook?
(a) odes by Keats
(b) the collected poems of Lord Byron
(c) the Canterbury Tales
(d) newspaper headlines
3. What does Stephen do after running in ecstasy along the beach?
(a) returns to look for the girl
(b) runs home to tell his mother
(c) goes home to write poetry
(d) lies down and falls asleep
4. What does the dean warn Stephen against?
(a) forgetting his roots
(b) not going to confession
(c) becoming too self indulgent
(d) falling prey to inaction
5. What sensations buoy Stephen's spirits as he walks to class?
(a) the daylight, the dripping trees and the smell of wet leaves
(b) the chill of the air and the sound of birds
(c) the smell of fresh baked bread and children singing
(d) the puddles of water and the sight of blue sky
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
2. On his guilt trips, what does Stephen believe?
3. What goes through Stephen's head as he enters the confessional?
4. Who does Lynch whisper to Stephen is also under the shelter?
5. What does Davin proclaim himself to be?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)