|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen feel by allowing sin to creep near to him before resisting it at the last moment?
(a) like playing a joke on the devil
(b) a terrible fear
(c) a sense of power
(d) an intolerable weakness
2. What happens to Stephen's voice as he gets to his major sin?
(a) It is low and murmuring.
(b) It is choked with emotion.
(c) It fails him completely.
(d) It becomes stronger.
3. How does Stephen classify one who plays the role of a believer though he does not believe?
(a) as a Jesuit
(b) as an agnostic
(c) as an atheist
(d) as a hypocrite
4. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
(a) His father sells the automobile.
(b) He does not get new clothes.
(c) He notices slight changes around the house.
(d) His mother takes in laundry.
5. Going through all these strict devotions, how does Stephen come to feel about himself?
(a) as an unworthy penitent
(b) as newly born and as having a virtuous soul
(c) as a serious candidate for the priesthood
(d) as a person burdened with grave responsibility
Short Answer Questions
1. While onstage delivering his lines, who does Stephen see in the audience?
2. How does Stephen see his acts of devotion to God?
3. Where do Stephen and his father go at night by rail?
4. What is the name of the character Stephen is fixated on?
5. What suddenly awakens in Stephen as he revels in nature along the breakwater?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)