|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen find the dean of studies in the theater?
(a) reading a Latin text
(b) lecturing a mischievous student
(c) bending low to light a fire in the grate
(d) putting fresh paint on the walls
2. By summer, where has the family moved?
3. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
(a) How she is too old for him.
(b) How he would like to kick her.
(c) How he could easily catch hold of her and kiss her.
(d) How much she looks like Mercedes.
4. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
(a) the bad influences of his friends
(b) the need to make money
(c) the wasting fires of lust
(d) the lack of faith
5. What begins to needle him and cause minor disruptions to his devotions?
(a) images of Emma in his head
(b) imperfections in himself
(c) remembering the girl on the tram
(d) the teasing of other boys
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the literary method used in the novel?
2. What does Stephen write about that beckons him?
3. What does Stephen think about when he hears his name called?
4. How does Stephen classify one who plays the role of a believer though he does not believe?
5. As he goes outside, what serves to increase his piety?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)