|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are some things Stephen remembers while contemplating his sins?
(a) the filthy pictures he had drawn
(b) his sordid dreams and the foul letters he had written
(c) the ribald poetery he wrote
(d) peeping on girls in their bath
2. Why does Stephen exert enormous energy in filling his days with penitent devotion, zealous prayers, and rosary recitations?
(a) to memorize Catholic ritual
(b) in elaborate attempts to mortify his senses
(c) to prepare himself for the seminary
(d) to please his mother
3. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
(a) that she was going to cry
(b) that her hat was on backwards
(c) that she was in a hurry to leave
(d) that she wore too much perfume
4. How does Stephen now view his life?
(a) as a hopeless drifter without proper education
(b) as a drudge worker in a heartless world
(c) as an escape from the old path and embarking on a new one
(d) as a complete waste from which he learned nothing
5. While onstage delivering his lines, who does Stephen see in the audience?
(a) his father with a strange woman
(b) Father Arnall
(c) Uncle Charles and Dante
(d) the girl from the tram
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Stephen's early song?
2. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
3. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
4. Who does Stephen know for sure is in the audience for a play he is in at school?
5. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)