|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the first of the retreat, what helps to awaken Stephen's soul slightly?
(a) the topic of Pergatory
(b) the topic of a caring God
(c) the topics of death and judgment
(d) the topics of love and forgiveness
2. What does the rector announce that will take place on Friday?
(a) all classes will be shortened
(b) confession will be heard
(c) a banquet will be served
(d) a day of prayer and meditation will be observed
3. Who does Lynch whisper to Stephen is also under the shelter?
(a) the girl from the tram
(b) the girl from the sea
(c) Stephen's mother
(d) the nuns from the madhouse
4. How does Stephen find the dean of studies in the theater?
(a) bending low to light a fire in the grate
(b) reading a Latin text
(c) putting fresh paint on the walls
(d) lecturing a mischievous student
5. Going through all these strict devotions, how does Stephen come to feel about himself?
(a) as a person burdened with grave responsibility
(b) as a serious candidate for the priesthood
(c) as an unworthy penitent
(d) as newly born and as having a virtuous soul
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen describe art to his friend, Lynch?
2. When rain starts to fall, where do some students gather for shelter?
3. What does Stephen do after running in ecstasy along the beach?
4. What two things bore Stephen?
5. What political figure becomes a topic of conversation and disagreement among the adults?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)