|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Stephen and Aubrey do in the meadow?
(a) ride a mare in the field
(b) look for buried treasure
(c) play football
(d) pretend to be pirates
2. How does Stephen consider the English language?
(a) as the language of the gods
(b) as his native tongue
(c) as a hodge podge of many languages
(d) as an acquired speech
3. What is the reference to the Firblog?
(a) an arsonist
(b) articles about evergreen trees
(c) a kind of insect
(d) oppressed Irish people
4. What causes Stephen to recall how saints were tried again and again by sin?
(a) his ability to avoid temptation
(b) his interest in the lives of saints
(c) his many daily temptations
(d) his lingering guilt for his past
5. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
(a) showed her his backside
(b) slapped her with his gloves
(c) stepped on her toes
(d) spit tobacco juice in her eye
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
2. After dinner, why does Stephen march out of the house?
3. What secret does Davin impart to Stephen he has never told to another person?
4. Who suggests that Stephen broke his glasses himself in order to get out of his schoolwork?
5. Who does Stephen know for sure is in the audience for a play he is in at school?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)