|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
(a) a choice between flogging and expulsion
(b) a choice between flogging or the stocks
(c) a choice between flogging or the gauntlet
(d) a choice between flogging or public humiliation
2. Leaving the director's office, what does Stephen think about the life offered him?
(a) He is filled with pride that the director thinks he is so good.
(b) He is filled with fear that his family will reject him.
(c) He questions his motives for wanting to be a priest.
(d) He does not see the priest as being more devoted than he is.
3. How does Stephen come to view all of creation?
(a) as an accident of nature
(b) as the evolution of the species
(c) as an expression of God's love and power
(d) as a reminder of the lust in the world
4. What habit does Stephen hang onto?
(a) his habit of obedience
(b) his habit of cutting classes
(c) his habit of eavesdropping
(d) his habit of writing poems
5. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
(a) showed her his backside
(b) spit tobacco juice in her eye
(c) slapped her with his gloves
(d) stepped on her toes
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
2. After Blackrock, where does the family move?
3. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
4. What is the name of the character Stephen is fixated on?
5. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)