|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen feel by allowing sin to creep near to him before resisting it at the last moment?
(a) a sense of power
(b) like playing a joke on the devil
(c) a terrible fear
(d) an intolerable weakness
2. What will be the subjects of the retreat?
(a) death, judgment, hell, and heaven
(b) mortifying the flesh
(c) confession and renewal
(d) sin and salvation
3. How does the preacher define sin?
(a) a rebellion of the intellect, incompatible with our true nature
(b) a slap in the face of God
(c) a giving in to our naturally base natures
(d) a wallowing in sinful mire
4. How does Stephen feel about the Virgin?
(a) As a mother, she overlooks the sins of her children.
(b) She has chosen him to be her white knight.
(c) She can order her Son to do her will.
(d) Mary does not humiliate the sinner who approaches her.
5. How does Stephen come to view all of creation?
(a) as an expression of God's love and power
(b) as an accident of nature
(c) as the evolution of the species
(d) as a reminder of the lust in the world
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Stephen been able to feel instead of love or hate?
2. What distracting sight does Stephen come upon while he wades in the water?
3. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
4. How does the priest react to Stephen's confession?
5. Why does Stephen exert enormous energy in filling his days with penitent devotion, zealous prayers, and rosary recitations?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)