|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will be the subjects of the retreat?
(a) death, judgment, hell, and heaven
(b) mortifying the flesh
(c) sin and salvation
(d) confession and renewal
2. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
(a) He begins to formulate new political ideas.
(b) He wonders why adults like to talk so much.
(c) He does not understand fully what they talk about.
(d) He takes in everything and understands.
3. How does Stephen see himself because of his frequent visits to the brothel?
(a) sunk into a swamp of spiritual and bodily sloth
(b) as a man and no longer a boy
(c) as a liberated Catholic
(d) as an addict who cannot help himself
4. How does Stephen see his acts of devotion to God?
(a) as protection against prostitutes
(b) as notches in a heavenly belt
(c) as tally marks on a chalkboard
(d) as pressing keys of a divine cash register
5. When does Stephen feel happy?
(a) only when he is alone
(b) only when he thinks of Mercedes
(c) only when he sees the girl from the tram
(d) only when he has a sweet to eat
Short Answer Questions
1. On his guilt trips, what does Stephen believe?
2. What happens when summer vacation is over for Stephen?
3. What do the sermons do for Stephen?
4. What is the name of the school Stephen next enrolls in?
5. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)