|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By summer, where has the family moved?
2. After what does Stephen model his poem titles in his notebook?
(a) odes by Keats
(b) the collected poems of Lord Byron
(c) the Canterbury Tales
(d) newspaper headlines
3. How does the director describe the life of a priest?
(a) as being a way to become rich
(b) as being free from all temptation
(c) as having authority and power without material cares
(d) as one of constant meditation and prayer
4. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
(a) large print
(b) funny illustrations
(c) nice sentences
(d) margin notes he wrote
5. When does Stephen feel happy?
(a) only when he thinks of Mercedes
(b) only when he has a sweet to eat
(c) only when he sees the girl from the tram
(d) only when he is alone
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the literary method used in the novel?
2. What does Stephen do after running in ecstasy along the beach?
3. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
4. Why does Stephen exert enormous energy in filling his days with penitent devotion, zealous prayers, and rosary recitations?
5. Who from the Bible are contrasted by the preacher?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)