|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Stephen feel happy?
(a) only when he has a sweet to eat
(b) only when he thinks of Mercedes
(c) only when he sees the girl from the tram
(d) only when he is alone
2. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
(a) that her hat was on backwards
(b) that she wore too much perfume
(c) that she was in a hurry to leave
(d) that she was going to cry
3. How does Stephen feel about the Virgin?
(a) As a mother, she overlooks the sins of her children.
(b) She has chosen him to be her white knight.
(c) Mary does not humiliate the sinner who approaches her.
(d) She can order her Son to do her will.
4. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
(a) They drank communion wine.
(b) They spit in the holy water.
(c) They stole from the collection box.
(d) They went to sea.
5. What is the literary method used in the novel?
(a) stream of consciousness
(b) metaphor and irony
(c) chronological account
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen feel by allowing sin to creep near to him before resisting it at the last moment?
2. What suddenly awakens in Stephen as he revels in nature along the breakwater?
3. What does the preacher say awaits those who do not make use of the atonement of Christ to right their relationship with God?
4. How does Stephen see himself because of his frequent visits to the brothel?
5. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)