|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
(a) a visit to a clinic
(b) Stephen's grandmother's funeral
(c) the auction of his property
(d) a job interview
2. What does the preacher say is available to the living to spare them from this everlasting torment?
(a) unqualified absolution
(c) candles and incense
3. How does the director describe the life of a priest?
(a) as one of constant meditation and prayer
(b) as having authority and power without material cares
(c) as being free from all temptation
(d) as being a way to become rich
4. What causes Stephen to recall how saints were tried again and again by sin?
(a) his lingering guilt for his past
(b) his interest in the lives of saints
(c) his ability to avoid temptation
(d) his many daily temptations
5. What suddenly awakens in Stephen as he revels in nature along the breakwater?
(a) a desire to return to the church
(b) a better understanding of his family
(c) a new found creativity
(d) a longing for security
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
2. What does Stephen do after running in ecstasy along the beach?
3. Alone in his room, what does Stephen see when he closes his eyes?
4. When does the preacher say the soul of the sinner is judged, and the time for repentance is passed?
5. What is the name of the character Stephen is fixated on?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)