|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
(a) that her hat was on backwards
(b) that she was in a hurry to leave
(c) that she wore too much perfume
(d) that she was going to cry
2. While onstage delivering his lines, who does Stephen see in the audience?
(a) Uncle Charles and Dante
(b) Father Arnall
(c) the girl from the tram
(d) his father with a strange woman
3. Where do Stephen and his father go at night by rail?
(a) to Belfast
(b) to Cork
(c) to Clongowes
(d) to Gallway
4. What about his life in the past does Stephen now wonder about?
(a) why his family always had such bad luck
(b) why he had been born
(c) why he refused the priesthood
(d) why he always thinks too much
5. What goes through Stephen's head as he enters the confessional?
(a) He anticipates great relief afterward.
(b) He wonders if the priest will recognize his voice.
(c) He wishes his sin had been any but the one it is.
(d) He considers running away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that Stephen broke his glasses himself in order to get out of his schoolwork?
2. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
3. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
4. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
5. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)