|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the symbolism used to show Stephen's returning to nature?
(a) whistling a response to the song birds
(b) picking up rocks for his collection
(c) removing his stockings and wading in the breakwater
(d) joining the boys to swim in the water
2. Going through all these strict devotions, how does Stephen come to feel about himself?
(a) as a person burdened with grave responsibility
(b) as newly born and as having a virtuous soul
(c) as a serious candidate for the priesthood
(d) as an unworthy penitent
3. What is Stephen's favorite reading material?
(a) the newspaper
(b) The Count of Monte Cristo
(c) comic books
(d) The Pickwick Papers
4. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
(a) the need to make money
(b) the lack of faith
(c) the bad influences of his friends
(d) the wasting fires of lust
5. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
(a) They were showing their bottoms to ladies on the street.
(b) They were caught peeping into ladies' bedrooms.
(c) They had smuggled a prostitute into the school
(d) They were caught "smugging" in the square with two younger boys.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
2. During table conversation, what is a local Catholic priest accused of?
3. What suddenly awakens in Stephen as he revels in nature along the breakwater?
4. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
5. How old is Stephen when he goes to confess his terrible sin?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)