|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
(a) Irish legends and music
(b) mostly of politics and family legends
(c) religion and business
(d) gambling and drinking
2. How does the director describe the life of a priest?
(a) as one of constant meditation and prayer
(b) as being a way to become rich
(c) as being free from all temptation
(d) as having authority and power without material cares
3. In whose honor is the retreat being held?
(a) Saint Jude, patron of lost causes
(b) Saint Francis of Assissi
(c) The Virgin Mary
(d) Saint Francis Xavier, patron of the college
4. After what does Stephen model his poem titles in his notebook?
(a) the Canterbury Tales
(b) odes by Keats
(c) newspaper headlines
(d) the collected poems of Lord Byron
5. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
(a) He does not get new clothes.
(b) He notices slight changes around the house.
(c) His father sells the automobile.
(d) His mother takes in laundry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Stephen's father and the priests always urging him to do?
2. What is happening with Stephen during further hard times for the family?
3. What are some things Stephen remembers while contemplating his sins?
4. What is a major theme of the book?
5. What begins to needle him and cause minor disruptions to his devotions?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)