|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen begin seeing himself?
(a) as a rag picker without hope
(b) as a stern disciplinarian of boys
(c) as a political leader of men
(d) as an artist forging a new life
2. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
(a) His mother
3. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
(a) They had smuggled a prostitute into the school
(b) They were caught peeping into ladies' bedrooms.
(c) They were showing their bottoms to ladies on the street.
(d) They were caught "smugging" in the square with two younger boys.
4. How does Stephen see his acts of devotion to God?
(a) as notches in a heavenly belt
(b) as tally marks on a chalkboard
(c) as pressing keys of a divine cash register
(d) as protection against prostitutes
5. What does Stephen do about new words he hears the adults use?
(a) interrupts conversation to ask their meanings
(b) figures out their meanings
(c) makes a list but does not spell them correctly
(d) tries to use them in his own conversation
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
2. After dinner, why does Stephen march out of the house?
3. During table conversation, what is a local Catholic priest accused of?
4. At school, what is the unusual word Stephen sees carved into a desk?
5. What does Stephen resolve to do?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)