|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In whose honor is the retreat being held?
(a) Saint Francis of Assissi
(b) The Virgin Mary
(c) Saint Jude, patron of lost causes
(d) Saint Francis Xavier, patron of the college
2. What has Stephen been able to feel instead of love or hate?
(a) only hunger and thirst
(b) only joy and pain
(c) only brief anger and lust
(d) only anxiety and fear
3. What distracting sight does Stephen come upon while he wades in the water?
(a) a passing ship headed for new adventures
(b) a porpoise leaping in the salty water
(c) a long legged crane perched on one leg
(d) a beautiful girl standing in the water gazing out to sea
4. What is the name of the character Stephen is fixated on?
(c) Minnie Cooper
(d) Bentley Ann
5. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
(a) a choice between flogging or public humiliation
(b) a choice between flogging or the gauntlet
(c) a choice between flogging or the stocks
(d) a choice between flogging and expulsion
Short Answer Questions
1. Alone in his room, what does Stephen see when he closes his eyes?
2. What is happening with Stephen during further hard times for the family?
3. Who does not want Stephen to go to the university?
4. What does the preacher say awaits those who do not make use of the atonement of Christ to right their relationship with God?
5. What keeps him from confessing his unworthiness and walking out of the chapel?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)