|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Uncle Charles no longer walk to the shops?
(a) He has grown too senile.
(b) He has a broken leg.
(c) He drives a new carriage.
(d) He is ashamed of his clothes.
2. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
(a) His glasses break.
(b) He gets a bloody nose.
(c) He fights back.
(d) He runs away from Clongowes.
3. What emotion does Stephen have over the reversal of his family's fortunes?
4. Whose innocence does Stephen remember trampling on?
(a) a young prostitute
(c) the girl on the tram
(d) a girl named Emma
5. On his guilt trips, what does Stephen believe?
(a) that God created him the way he is and there is nothing he can do about it
(b) that he can confess to the Virgin and never do it again
(c) that maybe there is no God and no need for religion
(d) that false homage to God cannot atone for sin as grievous as his.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
2. What does Stephen do after running in ecstasy along the beach?
3. While onstage delivering his lines, who does Stephen see in the audience?
4. What does Stephen discover when he returns home from the director's office?
5. Alone in his room, what does Stephen see when he closes his eyes?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)