|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the rector enters the classroom, what does the boy behind Stephen want him to do?
(a) to ask the rector a difficult question
(b) to lead a salute to the rector
(c) to put an apple on the rector's desk
(d) to pretend to plug up his ears
2. What begins to needle him and cause minor disruptions to his devotions?
(a) remembering the girl on the tram
(b) images of Emma in his head
(c) imperfections in himself
(d) the teasing of other boys
3. What causes Stephen to recall how saints were tried again and again by sin?
(a) his lingering guilt for his past
(b) his many daily temptations
(c) his interest in the lives of saints
(d) his ability to avoid temptation
4. What does the preacher say is available to the living to spare them from this everlasting torment?
(a) candles and incense
(c) unqualified absolution
5. What does the rector announce to the class?
(a) an early dismissal for the next few days
(b) extra credit for serving as altarboys
(c) a retreat over the next few days
(d) tests for a scholarship program
Short Answer Questions
1. Who from the Bible are contrasted by the preacher?
2. What is Stephen's favorite reading material?
3. What do the sermons do for Stephen?
4. What will be the subjects of the retreat?
5. What does Stephen discover when he returns home from the director's office?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)