|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interpretation does Stephen give to his dream and visions of beasts in the field?
(a) That he will reincarnate as a beast.
(b) That anyone looking at him will know his sins.
(c) That it is the hell awaiting him: bestial and foul.
(d) That he will find salvation in a field.
2. While onstage delivering his lines, who does Stephen see in the audience?
(a) his father with a strange woman
(b) the girl from the tram
(c) Father Arnall
(d) Uncle Charles and Dante
3. When the rector enters the classroom, what does the boy behind Stephen want him to do?
(a) to put an apple on the rector's desk
(b) to ask the rector a difficult question
(c) to pretend to plug up his ears
(d) to lead a salute to the rector
4. Who does Stephen suspect is also in the audience the night of the play?
(c) the girl from the tram
5. Who suggests that Stephen broke his glasses himself in order to get out of his schoolwork?
(a) Tusker Boyle
(b) Father Arnall
(c) the bully Wells
(d) Father Dolan
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps him from confessing his unworthiness and walking out of the chapel?
2. Going through all these strict devotions, how does Stephen come to feel about himself?
3. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
4. In whose honor is the retreat being held?
5. What does Stephen resolve to do?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)