|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Since the only sins Stephen has to confess these days are minor, what does his confessor want him to name?
(a) sins that still tempt him
(b) his old sins
(c) his fantasies about sinning
(d) sins that he would never commit
2. What does Stephen discover when he returns home from the director's office?
(a) His father is in the hospital.
(b) The family is being forced to move again.
(c) They are all excited about his becoming a priest.
(d) Uncle Charles has died.
3. What does the rector say the retreat signifies?
(a) a time off for good behavior
(b) a withdrawal from the worldly cares
(c) a chance to enter the seminary
(d) a dedication to better study
4. What is the symbolism used to show Stephen's returning to nature?
(a) picking up rocks for his collection
(b) removing his stockings and wading in the breakwater
(c) whistling a response to the song birds
(d) joining the boys to swim in the water
5. How old is Stephen when he goes to confess his terrible sin?
(a) just 14
(b) about 19
(c) only 16
(d) already 21
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
2. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
3. What job is given to Stephen?
4. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
5. Leaving the director's office, what does Stephen think about the life offered him?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)