|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
(a) He sits her in his lap.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He helps her off the tram.
(d) He calls her Mercedes.
2. How does Stephen come to view all of creation?
(a) as an expression of God's love and power
(b) as a reminder of the lust in the world
(c) as the evolution of the species
(d) as an accident of nature
3. How does Stephen now view the guardians of his boyhood?
(a) as necessary influences
(b) as ways of keeping him ignorant
(c) as means of controlling him
(d) as the factor that has made him strong
4. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
(a) He speaks largely from Stephen's perspective.
(b) He speaks mainly from Stephen's mother's point of view.
(c) He speaks with a devoutly religious voice.
(d) He speaks only as an Irish nationalist.
5. What is Stephen's favorite reading material?
(a) the newspaper
(b) The Pickwick Papers
(c) comic books
(d) The Count of Monte Cristo
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen react to the announcement of the rector?
2. What makes Stephen angry with himself?
3. How does Stephen see his acts of devotion to God?
4. While onstage delivering his lines, who does Stephen see in the audience?
5. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)