|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sensation does Stephen get while thinking back to Clongowes?
(a) He feels his soul become childlike.
(b) He feels all grown up.
(c) He feels ashamed of his father's financial difficulties.
(d) He feels like the retreat is like falling into a ditch.
2. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
(a) He speaks only as an Irish nationalist.
(b) He speaks with a devoutly religious voice.
(c) He speaks mainly from Stephen's mother's point of view.
(d) He speaks largely from Stephen's perspective.
3. What does Stephen think about when he hears his name called?
(a) what a strange name he has
(b) the Greek myth of Daedalus and his son Icarus as prophecy
(c) Jesus calling his disciples to follow him
(d) startled that he almost forgot his real name
4. What will be the subjects of the retreat?
(a) sin and salvation
(b) confession and renewal
(c) mortifying the flesh
(d) death, judgment, hell, and heaven
5. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
(a) a boy named Wells
(b) a boy named Tusker Boyle
(c) a boy named Simon Moonan
(d) a boy named Corrigan
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
2. What begins to needle him and cause minor disruptions to his devotions?
3. What is detailed by cramped conditions, the darkness, the stench, the fires, the enraged howls and suffering screams of the damned, and the mocking of devils?
4. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
5. What is Stephen's favorite reading material?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)