|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Stephen continually search?
(a) for his Mercedes
(b) for his fortune
(c) for a job
(d) for his friend Aubrey
2. What interpretation does Stephen give to his dream and visions of beasts in the field?
(a) That anyone looking at him will know his sins.
(b) That he will reincarnate as a beast.
(c) That he will find salvation in a field.
(d) That it is the hell awaiting him: bestial and foul.
3. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
(a) that she was going to cry
(b) that she was in a hurry to leave
(c) that she wore too much perfume
(d) that her hat was on backwards
4. What does Stephen resolve to do?
(a) make up for his sinful past with every hour of his life
(b) go and preach to the prostitutes in the brothel
(c) become a priest
(d) find Emma and marry her
5. How does Stephen react to the announcement of the rector?
(a) His attitude is one of boredom.
(b) His heart withers with fear.
(c) He is glad he will have a chance to reform.
(d) He plans to be sick next Friday.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the punishment, what do the boys urge Stephen to do?
2. How could Stephen's thoughts after leaving the director's office be described in one word?
3. What is the literary method used in the novel?
4. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
5. What do the sermons do for Stephen?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)