|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen see himself because of his frequent visits to the brothel?
(a) as a liberated Catholic
(b) as a man and no longer a boy
(c) sunk into a swamp of spiritual and bodily sloth
(d) as an addict who cannot help himself
2. After the punishment, what do the boys urge Stephen to do?
(a) put tacks in Father Dolan's chair
(b) run away from the school
(c) visit the rector
(d) call the police
3. After Blackrock, where does the family move?
(a) back into their old home
(b) to a small house in Belfast
(c) into less comfortable accommodations in Dublin
(d) to an apartment in London
4. After what does Stephen model his poem titles in his notebook?
(a) the Canterbury Tales
(b) the collected poems of Lord Byron
(c) newspaper headlines
(d) odes by Keats
5. What happens to Stephen's hands when Father Dolan does not believe his glasses broke by accident?
(a) They are tied behind his back.
(b) They are given whacks with the pandybat.
(c) They are placed in hot water.
(d) They are pressed against the wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
2. What job is given to Stephen?
3. After the confession, how does Stephen feel?
4. What begins to take on an attractive appearance to Stephen?
5. How old is Stephen when he goes to confess his terrible sin?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)