|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the literary method used in the novel?
(a) chronological account
(c) metaphor and irony
(d) stream of consciousness
2. What does the rector announce to the class?
(a) a retreat over the next few days
(b) extra credit for serving as altarboys
(c) an early dismissal for the next few days
(d) tests for a scholarship program
3. What political figure becomes a topic of conversation and disagreement among the adults?
4. How does Stephen see himself because of his frequent visits to the brothel?
(a) as a liberated Catholic
(b) as an addict who cannot help himself
(c) sunk into a swamp of spiritual and bodily sloth
(d) as a man and no longer a boy
5. How does Stephen come to view all of creation?
(a) as a reminder of the lust in the world
(b) as the evolution of the species
(c) as an accident of nature
(d) as an expression of God's love and power
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets into an argument during Christmas dinner?
2. What is happening with Stephen during further hard times for the family?
3. What does Stephen suddenly realize about his family relationships?
4. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
5. What does Stephen do after running in ecstasy along the beach?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)