|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a major theme of the book?
(a) Catholic education versus public education
(b) Catholicism versus Protestantism
(c) Coming of age
(d) Irish nationalism and Irish identity
2. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
(a) They drank communion wine.
(b) They spit in the holy water.
(c) They stole from the collection box.
(d) They went to sea.
3. What is Stephen's condition as he leaves the retreat?
(a) Stephen is rebellious against all he had heard.
(b) Stephen is so sick he fears he may have already died.
(c) Stephen is happy that he has overcome his lusts.
(d) Stephen is determined to leave the Church.
4. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
(a) Father Arnall
(b) Father Dolan
(c) Father Parnell
(d) Father O'Casey
5. After the punishment, what are Flemming and Stephen told to do?
(a) stand in the corner
(b) sit on the floor
(d) return to their seats
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the character Stephen is fixated on?
2. What happens to Stephen's hands when Father Dolan does not believe his glasses broke by accident?
3. What does Stephen do immediately after the play?
4. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
5. Who is Mike Flynn?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)