|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen classify one who plays the role of a believer though he does not believe?
(a) as an agnostic
(b) as a hypocrite
(c) as a Jesuit
(d) as an atheist
2. What happens to Stephen's hands when Father Dolan does not believe his glasses broke by accident?
(a) They are given whacks with the pandybat.
(b) They are placed in hot water.
(c) They are tied behind his back.
(d) They are pressed against the wall.
3. Who suggests that Stephen broke his glasses himself in order to get out of his schoolwork?
(a) Father Dolan
(b) Tusker Boyle
(c) Father Arnall
(d) the bully Wells
4. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
(a) He fights back.
(b) His glasses break.
(c) He gets a bloody nose.
(d) He runs away from Clongowes.
5. What is Stephen's favorite reading material?
(a) The Pickwick Papers
(b) The Count of Monte Cristo
(c) comic books
(d) the newspaper
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen feel about the Virgin?
2. What is detailed by cramped conditions, the darkness, the stench, the fires, the enraged howls and suffering screams of the damned, and the mocking of devils?
3. Who does Stephen suspect is also in the audience the night of the play?
4. What makes Stephen angry with himself?
5. What does the preacher say is available to the living to spare them from this everlasting torment?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)