|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen complain about to the rector?
(a) Father Dolan interfering in Father Arnall's class
(b) unjust punishment
(c) broken fingers
(d) broken blood vessels in his hands
2. What causes Stephen to recall how saints were tried again and again by sin?
(a) his lingering guilt for his past
(b) his many daily temptations
(c) his interest in the lives of saints
(d) his ability to avoid temptation
3. How does Stephen come to view all of creation?
(a) as the evolution of the species
(b) as a reminder of the lust in the world
(c) as an expression of God's love and power
(d) as an accident of nature
4. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
(a) the lack of faith
(b) the wasting fires of lust
(c) the bad influences of his friends
(d) the need to make money
5. Who gets into an argument during Christmas dinner?
(a) Stephen and Father
(b) Mother and Father
(c) Dante and Mr. Casey
(d) Dante and Uncle Charles
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen react to the announcement of the rector?
2. Where does Stephen's father want to send him?
3. What does the rector say the retreat signifies?
4. What is demanded by boys Stephen meets on the road?
5. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)