|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By summer, where has the family moved?
2. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
(a) as merciless oppressors
(b) as avenging angels of God
(c) as flawless beings
(d) as irreligious
3. What is Stephen's condition as he leaves the retreat?
(a) Stephen is happy that he has overcome his lusts.
(b) Stephen is so sick he fears he may have already died.
(c) Stephen is rebellious against all he had heard.
(d) Stephen is determined to leave the Church.
4. How does Stephen feel about the Virgin?
(a) She has chosen him to be her white knight.
(b) Mary does not humiliate the sinner who approaches her.
(c) She can order her Son to do her will.
(d) As a mother, she overlooks the sins of her children.
5. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
(a) He plans a revenge.
(b) He talks his parents into taking him home.
(c) He becomes seriously ill.
(d) He needs help to get out of the ditch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
2. Although he purposefully enters the brothel, how does he feel later?
3. What happens to Stephen's voice as he gets to his major sin?
4. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
5. What worries Stephen about his devotions?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)