|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the punishment, what are Flemming and Stephen told to do?
(a) return to their seats
(c) sit on the floor
(d) stand in the corner
2. How does the preacher define sin?
(a) a rebellion of the intellect, incompatible with our true nature
(b) a slap in the face of God
(c) a giving in to our naturally base natures
(d) a wallowing in sinful mire
3. What is demanded by boys Stephen meets on the road?
(a) identification of his favorite poet
(b) an introduction to Mercedes
(c) money for his lunch
(d) to play hookey that afternoon
4. What public transportation does Stephen take?
(a) shank's mare
(b) market carts
(c) horse drawn trams
(d) new motor buses
5. What does Stephen do after running in ecstasy along the beach?
(a) goes home to write poetry
(b) lies down and falls asleep
(c) runs home to tell his mother
(d) returns to look for the girl
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the rector say the retreat signifies?
2. What is Stephen coming to believe about gaining wisdom?
3. What keeps him from confessing his unworthiness and walking out of the chapel?
4. What is the name of the character Stephen is fixated on?
5. What is the symbolism used to show Stephen's returning to nature?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)