|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it about his mother that really bothers Stephen when the subject of the university comes up?
(a) her objection to the expense
(b) her indifference
(c) her contempt for education
(d) her distrust of him
2. What does the rector announce that will take place on Friday?
(a) confession will be heard
(b) a banquet will be served
(c) a day of prayer and meditation will be observed
(d) all classes will be shortened
3. What is the literary method used in the novel?
(b) chronological account
(c) stream of consciousness
(d) metaphor and irony
4. Who does Stephen suspect is also in the audience the night of the play?
(a) the girl from the tram
5. What about his life in the past does Stephen now wonder about?
(a) why he always thinks too much
(b) why he had been born
(c) why he refused the priesthood
(d) why his family always had such bad luck
Short Answer Questions
1. What sensation does Stephen get while thinking back to Clongowes?
2. Whose innocence does Stephen remember trampling on?
3. After the confession, how does Stephen feel?
4. Who bumps Stephen into a square ditch of slimy, cold water?
5. What causes Stephen to recall how saints were tried again and again by sin?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)