|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
(a) His mother takes in laundry.
(b) His father sells the automobile.
(c) He does not get new clothes.
(d) He notices slight changes around the house.
2. When does Stephen feel happy?
(a) only when he thinks of Mercedes
(b) only when he is alone
(c) only when he sees the girl from the tram
(d) only when he has a sweet to eat
3. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
(a) They were caught "smugging" in the square with two younger boys.
(b) They were showing their bottoms to ladies on the street.
(c) They were caught peeping into ladies' bedrooms.
(d) They had smuggled a prostitute into the school
4. What habit does Stephen hang onto?
(a) his habit of writing poems
(b) his habit of obedience
(c) his habit of cutting classes
(d) his habit of eavesdropping
5. Who does Stephen know for sure is in the audience for a play he is in at school?
(a) Uncle Charles
(d) his father
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
2. What does Stephen do about new words he hears the adults use?
3. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
4. What happens to Stephen's hands when Father Dolan does not believe his glasses broke by accident?
5. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)