|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Stephen feel happy?
(a) only when he is alone
(b) only when he thinks of Mercedes
(c) only when he sees the girl from the tram
(d) only when he has a sweet to eat
2. After what does Stephen model his poem titles in his notebook?
(a) odes by Keats
(b) the collected poems of Lord Byron
(c) newspaper headlines
(d) the Canterbury Tales
3. Where does Stephen imagine he will live when he gets married?
(a) in an apartment in London
(b) in a three storey house in Dublin
(c) on a houseboat
(d) in a small, whitewashed house outside of Blackrock
4. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
(a) They were showing their bottoms to ladies on the street.
(b) They were caught "smugging" in the square with two younger boys.
(c) They were caught peeping into ladies' bedrooms.
(d) They had smuggled a prostitute into the school
5. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
(a) He kisses her.
(b) He sits her in his lap.
(c) He calls her Mercedes.
(d) He helps her off the tram.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen complain about to the rector?
2. What are Stephen's father and the priests always urging him to do?
3. What emotion does Stephen have over the reversal of his family's fortunes?
4. Who suggests that Stephen broke his glasses himself in order to get out of his schoolwork?
5. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)