|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
(a) closing and opening the flaps of his ears
(b) humming softly to himself
(c) putting beans in his ears
(d) shutting out sound by concentration on home
2. What does Stephen do about new words he hears the adults use?
(a) interrupts conversation to ask their meanings
(b) makes a list but does not spell them correctly
(c) tries to use them in his own conversation
(d) figures out their meanings
3. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
(a) He speaks with a devoutly religious voice.
(b) He speaks largely from Stephen's perspective.
(c) He speaks mainly from Stephen's mother's point of view.
(d) He speaks only as an Irish nationalist.
4. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
(a) as flawless beings
(b) as merciless oppressors
(c) as irreligious
(d) as avenging angels of God
5. What is the literary method used in the novel?
(b) metaphor and irony
(c) stream of consciousness
(d) chronological account
Short Answer Questions
1. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
2. What job is given to Stephen?
3. For what does Stephen continually search?
4. After the punishment, what are Flemming and Stephen told to do?
5. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)