|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when summer vacation is over for Stephen?
(a) Stephen finds a steady job.
(b) Stephen does not return to Clongowes.
(c) Stephen's family moves again.
(d) Stephen works out on the track with Mike.
2. What is a major theme of the book?
(a) Catholicism versus Protestantism
(b) Catholic education versus public education
(c) Irish nationalism and Irish identity
(d) Coming of age
3. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
(a) the need to make money
(b) the lack of faith
(c) the bad influences of his friends
(d) the wasting fires of lust
4. When does Stephen feel happy?
(a) only when he has a sweet to eat
(b) only when he is alone
(c) only when he sees the girl from the tram
(d) only when he thinks of Mercedes
5. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
(a) The rector punishes Stephen again.
(b) The rector dismisses Father Dolan.
(c) The rector agrees to speak to Father Dolan.
(d) The rector excuses Father Dolan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Stephen angry with himself?
2. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
3. What habit does Stephen hang onto?
4. After Blackrock, where does the family move?
5. Who bumps Stephen into a square ditch of slimy, cold water?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)