|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comment does Father make that he is admonished not to say in front of Stephen?
(a) Stephen's father calls the language of the Holy Ghost "bad language."
(b) Stephen's father calls religious education a "blight on the land."
(c) Stephen's father calls all priests "instruments of the devil."
(d) Stephen's father calls the British "the saviors of Ireland."
2. Why is Stephen exempted from his classes?
(a) because his glasses are broken
(b) because he was perfect on his exams
(c) because he is still running a fever
(d) because he broke his arm
3. Where do Stephen and his father go at night by rail?
(a) to Gallway
(b) to Belfast
(c) to Clongowes
(d) to Cork
4. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
(a) as avenging angels of God
(b) as flawless beings
(c) as irreligious
(d) as merciless oppressors
5. By summer, where has the family moved?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
2. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
3. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
4. What happens to Stephen's hands when Father Dolan does not believe his glasses broke by accident?
5. At school, what is the unusual word Stephen sees carved into a desk?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)