|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Stephen's favorite reading material?
(a) comic books
(b) The Count of Monte Cristo
(c) the newspaper
(d) The Pickwick Papers
2. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
(a) the need to make money
(b) the lack of faith
(c) the wasting fires of lust
(d) the bad influences of his friends
3. What is a major theme of the book?
(a) Irish nationalism and Irish identity
(b) Catholic education versus public education
(c) Coming of age
(d) Catholicism versus Protestantism
4. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
(a) He plans a revenge.
(b) He becomes seriously ill.
(c) He talks his parents into taking him home.
(d) He needs help to get out of the ditch.
5. What does Stephen do immediately after the play?
(a) He rushes off.
(b) He goes to a cast party.
(c) He hides backstage.
(d) He looks for the girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
2. Who gets into an argument during Christmas dinner?
3. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
4. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
5. What was Stephen's early song?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)