|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While onstage delivering his lines, who does Stephen see in the audience?
(a) the girl from the tram
(b) Father Arnall
(c) Uncle Charles and Dante
(d) his father with a strange woman
2. For what does Stephen continually search?
(a) for his Mercedes
(b) for his friend Aubrey
(c) for his fortune
(d) for a job
3. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
(a) They had smuggled a prostitute into the school
(b) They were caught peeping into ladies' bedrooms.
(c) They were caught "smugging" in the square with two younger boys.
(d) They were showing their bottoms to ladies on the street.
4. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
(a) He speaks only as an Irish nationalist.
(b) He speaks with a devoutly religious voice.
(c) He speaks mainly from Stephen's mother's point of view.
(d) He speaks largely from Stephen's perspective.
5. What is a major theme of the book?
(a) Coming of age
(b) Catholicism versus Protestantism
(c) Catholic education versus public education
(d) Irish nationalism and Irish identity
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
2. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
3. What was Stephen's early song?
4. What happens to Stephen's hands when Father Dolan does not believe his glasses broke by accident?
5. What is the name of the school Stephen next enrolls in?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)