|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
(a) a choice between flogging or public humiliation
(b) a choice between flogging or the stocks
(c) a choice between flogging or the gauntlet
(d) a choice between flogging and expulsion
2. Who gets into an argument during Christmas dinner?
(a) Dante and Mr. Casey
(b) Stephen and Father
(c) Dante and Uncle Charles
(d) Mother and Father
3. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
(a) The rector agrees to speak to Father Dolan.
(b) The rector dismisses Father Dolan.
(c) The rector excuses Father Dolan.
(d) The rector punishes Stephen again.
4. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
(a) He needs help to get out of the ditch.
(b) He becomes seriously ill.
(c) He talks his parents into taking him home.
(d) He plans a revenge.
5. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
(a) He speaks largely from Stephen's perspective.
(b) He speaks mainly from Stephen's mother's point of view.
(c) He speaks only as an Irish nationalist.
(d) He speaks with a devoutly religious voice.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the punishment, what do the boys urge Stephen to do?
2. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
3. What was Stephen's early song?
4. What political figure becomes a topic of conversation and disagreement among the adults?
5. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)