|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
(a) a choice between flogging and expulsion
(b) a choice between flogging or the gauntlet
(c) a choice between flogging or public humiliation
(d) a choice between flogging or the stocks
2. Where does Stephen keep himself during the football game?
(a) on the fringes of his line
(b) on the bench
(c) In the thick of the action
(d) next to the prefect
3. What political figure becomes a topic of conversation and disagreement among the adults?
4. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
(a) wearing short pants
(b) writing letters to Eileen
(c) wetting his bed
(d) kissing his mother before bedtime
5. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
(a) that she was in a hurry to leave
(b) that her hat was on backwards
(c) that she was going to cry
(d) that she wore too much perfume
Short Answer Questions
1. During table conversation, what is a local Catholic priest accused of?
2. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
3. What is the literary method used in the novel?
4. What comment does Father make that he is admonished not to say in front of Stephen?
5. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)