|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the literary method used in the novel?
(a) chronological account
(b) stream of consciousness
(d) metaphor and irony
2. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
(a) They were caught "smugging" in the square with two younger boys.
(b) They were showing their bottoms to ladies on the street.
(c) They had smuggled a prostitute into the school
(d) They were caught peeping into ladies' bedrooms.
3. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
(a) a photo of Eileen
(b) a letter from his mother
(c) a countdown to the holidays
(d) answers to test questions
4. After the punishment, what are Flemming and Stephen told to do?
(a) sit on the floor
(c) stand in the corner
(d) return to their seats
5. Who suggests that Stephen broke his glasses himself in order to get out of his schoolwork?
(a) Father Arnall
(b) Father Dolan
(c) the bully Wells
(d) Tusker Boyle
Short Answer Questions
1. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
2. What is a major theme of the book?
3. What happens to Stephen's hands when Father Dolan does not believe his glasses broke by accident?
4. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
5. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)