|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
(a) spit tobacco juice in her eye
(b) showed her his backside
(c) stepped on her toes
(d) slapped her with his gloves
2. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
(a) if he will have a stroke
(b) if it means trouble
(c) if he hates boys
(d) if it is a sin
3. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
(a) They went to sea.
(b) They stole from the collection box.
(c) They spit in the holy water.
(d) They drank communion wine.
4. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
(a) wearing short pants
(b) wetting his bed
(c) kissing his mother before bedtime
(d) writing letters to Eileen
5. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
(a) a choice between flogging or the stocks
(b) a choice between flogging or public humiliation
(c) a choice between flogging and expulsion
(d) a choice between flogging or the gauntlet
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
2. After the punishment, what do the boys urge Stephen to do?
3. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
4. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
5. What is a major theme of the book?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)