|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
(a) They had smuggled a prostitute into the school
(b) They were caught "smugging" in the square with two younger boys.
(c) They were showing their bottoms to ladies on the street.
(d) They were caught peeping into ladies' bedrooms.
2. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
(a) He needs help to get out of the ditch.
(b) He becomes seriously ill.
(c) He plans a revenge.
(d) He talks his parents into taking him home.
3. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
(a) They stole from the collection box.
(b) They went to sea.
(c) They spit in the holy water.
(d) They drank communion wine.
4. What comment does Father make that he is admonished not to say in front of Stephen?
(a) Stephen's father calls all priests "instruments of the devil."
(b) Stephen's father calls religious education a "blight on the land."
(c) Stephen's father calls the language of the Holy Ghost "bad language."
(d) Stephen's father calls the British "the saviors of Ireland."
5. Who suggests that Stephen broke his glasses himself in order to get out of his schoolwork?
(a) Tusker Boyle
(b) the bully Wells
(c) Father Dolan
(d) Father Arnall
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
2. During table conversation, what is a local Catholic priest accused of?
3. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
4. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
5. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)