|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
(a) He does not understand fully what they talk about.
(b) He begins to formulate new political ideas.
(c) He wonders why adults like to talk so much.
(d) He takes in everything and understands.
2. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
(a) Father Arnall
(b) Father O'Casey
(c) Father Parnell
(d) Father Dolan
3. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
(a) He speaks largely from Stephen's perspective.
(b) He speaks only as an Irish nationalist.
(c) He speaks with a devoutly religious voice.
(d) He speaks mainly from Stephen's mother's point of view.
4. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
(a) wearing short pants
(b) writing letters to Eileen
(c) wetting his bed
(d) kissing his mother before bedtime
5. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
(a) if he will have a stroke
(b) if he hates boys
(c) if it is a sin
(d) if it means trouble
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
2. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
3. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
4. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
5. What is a major theme of the book?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)