|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
(a) He speaks with a devoutly religious voice.
(b) He speaks only as an Irish nationalist.
(c) He speaks largely from Stephen's perspective.
(d) He speaks mainly from Stephen's mother's point of view.
2. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
(a) a choice between flogging or the stocks
(b) a choice between flogging or public humiliation
(c) a choice between flogging or the gauntlet
(d) a choice between flogging and expulsion
3. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
(a) if he hates boys
(b) if it means trouble
(c) if it is a sin
(d) if he will have a stroke
4. Why is Stephen exempted from his classes?
(a) because he broke his arm
(b) because he was perfect on his exams
(c) because he is still running a fever
(d) because his glasses are broken
5. Who bumps Stephen into a square ditch of slimy, cold water?
(a) a boy named Wells
(b) a boy named Fleming
(c) the language teacher
(d) the prefect
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the literary method used in the novel?
2. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
3. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
4. What political figure becomes a topic of conversation and disagreement among the adults?
5. During table conversation, what is a local Catholic priest accused of?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)