|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
(a) putting beans in his ears
(b) shutting out sound by concentration on home
(c) closing and opening the flaps of his ears
(d) humming softly to himself
2. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
(a) as merciless oppressors
(b) as irreligious
(c) as avenging angels of God
(d) as flawless beings
3. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
(a) He wonders why adults like to talk so much.
(b) He takes in everything and understands.
(c) He does not understand fully what they talk about.
(d) He begins to formulate new political ideas.
4. Where does Stephen keep himself during the football game?
(a) on the bench
(b) on the fringes of his line
(c) In the thick of the action
(d) next to the prefect
5. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
(a) large print
(b) margin notes he wrote
(c) funny illustrations
(d) nice sentences
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Stephen's hands when Father Dolan does not believe his glasses broke by accident?
2. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
3. After the punishment, what are Flemming and Stephen told to do?
4. What comment does Father make that he is admonished not to say in front of Stephen?
5. After the punishment, what do the boys urge Stephen to do?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)