|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Stephen's hands when Father Dolan does not believe his glasses broke by accident?
(a) They are pressed against the wall.
(b) They are tied behind his back.
(c) They are placed in hot water.
(d) They are given whacks with the pandybat.
2. After the punishment, what do the boys urge Stephen to do?
(a) call the police
(b) put tacks in Father Dolan's chair
(c) run away from the school
(d) visit the rector
3. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
(a) a choice between flogging and expulsion
(b) a choice between flogging or the gauntlet
(c) a choice between flogging or the stocks
(d) a choice between flogging or public humiliation
4. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
(a) if he hates boys
(b) if it is a sin
(c) if he will have a stroke
(d) if it means trouble
5. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
(a) He wonders why adults like to talk so much.
(b) He does not understand fully what they talk about.
(c) He begins to formulate new political ideas.
(d) He takes in everything and understands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
2. Why is Stephen exempted from his classes?
3. What comment does Father make that he is admonished not to say in front of Stephen?
4. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
5. Who bumps Stephen into a square ditch of slimy, cold water?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)