|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who suggests that Stephen broke his glasses himself in order to get out of his schoolwork?
(a) Father Dolan
(b) Father Arnall
(c) the bully Wells
(d) Tusker Boyle
2. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
(a) as an enemy
(b) as a sneak
(c) as a tattle tale
(d) as a hero
3. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
(a) that she was in a hurry to leave
(b) that she wore too much perfume
(c) that her hat was on backwards
(d) that she was going to cry
4. What is the literary method used in the novel?
(a) stream of consciousness
(c) metaphor and irony
(d) chronological account
5. What political figure becomes a topic of conversation and disagreement among the adults?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
2. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
3. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
4. Where does Stephen keep himself during the football game?
5. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)