|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
(a) as flawless beings
(b) as avenging angels of God
(c) as irreligious
(d) as merciless oppressors
2. What does Stephen complain about to the rector?
(a) broken blood vessels in his hands
(b) broken fingers
(c) Father Dolan interfering in Father Arnall's class
(d) unjust punishment
3. After the punishment, what are Flemming and Stephen told to do?
(b) stand in the corner
(c) sit on the floor
(d) return to their seats
4. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
(a) Father O'Casey
(b) Father Arnall
(c) Father Dolan
(d) Father Parnell
5. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
(a) wearing short pants
(b) kissing his mother before bedtime
(c) wetting his bed
(d) writing letters to Eileen
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
2. Why is Stephen exempted from his classes?
3. What is a major theme of the book?
4. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
5. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)