|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
(b) His mother
2. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
(a) They spit in the holy water.
(b) They stole from the collection box.
(c) They drank communion wine.
(d) They went to sea.
3. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
(a) closing and opening the flaps of his ears
(b) shutting out sound by concentration on home
(c) humming softly to himself
(d) putting beans in his ears
4. What does Stephen complain about to the rector?
(a) broken blood vessels in his hands
(b) Father Dolan interfering in Father Arnall's class
(c) broken fingers
(d) unjust punishment
5. What comment does Father make that he is admonished not to say in front of Stephen?
(a) Stephen's father calls the British "the saviors of Ireland."
(b) Stephen's father calls the language of the Holy Ghost "bad language."
(c) Stephen's father calls religious education a "blight on the land."
(d) Stephen's father calls all priests "instruments of the devil."
Short Answer Questions
1. During table conversation, what is a local Catholic priest accused of?
2. After the punishment, what do the boys urge Stephen to do?
3. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
4. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
5. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)