|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen complain about to the rector?
(a) broken fingers
(b) unjust punishment
(c) broken blood vessels in his hands
(d) Father Dolan interfering in Father Arnall's class
2. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
(a) kissing his mother before bedtime
(b) wearing short pants
(c) writing letters to Eileen
(d) wetting his bed
3. What is a major theme of the book?
(a) Coming of age
(b) Catholic education versus public education
(c) Irish nationalism and Irish identity
(d) Catholicism versus Protestantism
4. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
(a) The rector agrees to speak to Father Dolan.
(b) The rector excuses Father Dolan.
(c) The rector punishes Stephen again.
(d) The rector dismisses Father Dolan.
5. Who bumps Stephen into a square ditch of slimy, cold water?
(a) the prefect
(b) the language teacher
(c) a boy named Fleming
(d) a boy named Wells
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets into an argument during Christmas dinner?
2. Where does Stephen keep himself during the football game?
3. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
4. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
5. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)