|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who suggests that Stephen broke his glasses himself in order to get out of his schoolwork?
(a) Father Arnall
(b) the bully Wells
(c) Father Dolan
(d) Tusker Boyle
2. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
(a) if it is a sin
(b) if he will have a stroke
(c) if it means trouble
(d) if he hates boys
3. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
(a) He wonders why adults like to talk so much.
(b) He begins to formulate new political ideas.
(c) He takes in everything and understands.
(d) He does not understand fully what they talk about.
4. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
(a) as a sneak
(b) as an enemy
(c) as a tattle tale
(d) as a hero
5. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
(a) a choice between flogging or the gauntlet
(b) a choice between flogging or the stocks
(c) a choice between flogging and expulsion
(d) a choice between flogging or public humiliation
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Stephen's early song?
2. Why is Stephen exempted from his classes?
3. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
4. After the punishment, what are Flemming and Stephen told to do?
5. What is the literary method used in the novel?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)