|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen complain about to the rector?
(a) Father Dolan interfering in Father Arnall's class
(b) unjust punishment
(c) broken fingers
(d) broken blood vessels in his hands
2. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
(a) slapped her with his gloves
(b) stepped on her toes
(c) spit tobacco juice in her eye
(d) showed her his backside
3. Who bumps Stephen into a square ditch of slimy, cold water?
(a) the prefect
(b) a boy named Wells
(c) a boy named Fleming
(d) the language teacher
4. Who suggests that Stephen broke his glasses himself in order to get out of his schoolwork?
(a) Tusker Boyle
(b) Father Dolan
(c) Father Arnall
(d) the bully Wells
5. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
(a) He gets a bloody nose.
(b) He runs away from Clongowes.
(c) His glasses break.
(d) He fights back.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Stephen's hands when Father Dolan does not believe his glasses broke by accident?
2. During table conversation, what is a local Catholic priest accused of?
3. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
4. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
5. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)