|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
(a) closing and opening the flaps of his ears
(b) putting beans in his ears
(c) humming softly to himself
(d) shutting out sound by concentration on home
2. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
(a) He runs away from Clongowes.
(b) He fights back.
(c) He gets a bloody nose.
(d) His glasses break.
3. Who gets into an argument during Christmas dinner?
(a) Mother and Father
(b) Stephen and Father
(c) Dante and Uncle Charles
(d) Dante and Mr. Casey
4. What happens to Stephen's hands when Father Dolan does not believe his glasses broke by accident?
(a) They are placed in hot water.
(b) They are pressed against the wall.
(c) They are given whacks with the pandybat.
(d) They are tied behind his back.
5. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
(a) his father's heart attack
(b) Christmas holidays
(c) his sister's wedding
(d) a relapse of his illness
Short Answer Questions
1. What comment does Father make that he is admonished not to say in front of Stephen?
2. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
3. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
4. What does Stephen complain about to the rector?
5. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)