|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
(a) They had smuggled a prostitute into the school
(b) They were caught peeping into ladies' bedrooms.
(c) They were caught "smugging" in the square with two younger boys.
(d) They were showing their bottoms to ladies on the street.
2. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
(a) shutting out sound by concentration on home
(b) humming softly to himself
(c) closing and opening the flaps of his ears
(d) putting beans in his ears
3. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
(a) if he hates boys
(b) if he will have a stroke
(c) if it means trouble
(d) if it is a sin
4. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
(a) Father O'Casey
(b) Father Parnell
(c) Father Dolan
(d) Father Arnall
5. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
(a) a relapse of his illness
(b) his father's heart attack
(c) his sister's wedding
(d) Christmas holidays
Short Answer Questions
1. After the punishment, what do the boys urge Stephen to do?
2. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
3. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
4. Where does Stephen keep himself during the football game?
5. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)