|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
(a) a choice between flogging or the stocks
(b) a choice between flogging and expulsion
(c) a choice between flogging or the gauntlet
(d) a choice between flogging or public humiliation
2. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
(a) his sister's wedding
(b) a relapse of his illness
(c) his father's heart attack
(d) Christmas holidays
3. After the punishment, what are Flemming and Stephen told to do?
(a) return to their seats
(b) sit on the floor
(c) stand in the corner
4. What is the literary method used in the novel?
(a) stream of consciousness
(b) metaphor and irony
(c) chronological account
5. What does Stephen complain about to the rector?
(a) broken fingers
(b) unjust punishment
(c) broken blood vessels in his hands
(d) Father Dolan interfering in Father Arnall's class
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
2. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
3. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
4. Why is Stephen exempted from his classes?
5. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)