|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On his guilt trips, what does Stephen believe?
(a) that maybe there is no God and no need for religion
(b) that God created him the way he is and there is nothing he can do about it
(c) that he can confess to the Virgin and never do it again
(d) that false homage to God cannot atone for sin as grievous as his.
2. What comment does Father make that he is admonished not to say in front of Stephen?
(a) Stephen's father calls the language of the Holy Ghost "bad language."
(b) Stephen's father calls religious education a "blight on the land."
(c) Stephen's father calls the British "the saviors of Ireland."
(d) Stephen's father calls all priests "instruments of the devil."
3. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
(a) that she was going to cry
(b) that her hat was on backwards
(c) that she was in a hurry to leave
(d) that she wore too much perfume
4. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
(a) He becomes seriously ill.
(b) He plans a revenge.
(c) He talks his parents into taking him home.
(d) He needs help to get out of the ditch.
5. What makes Stephen angry with himself?
(a) his inability to express himself
(b) his youth and foolish impulses
(c) his lack of ambition
(d) his lack of proper education
Short Answer Questions
1. What public transportation does Stephen take?
2. What political figure becomes a topic of conversation and disagreement among the adults?
3. What happens to Stephen's voice as he gets to his major sin?
4. How does Stephen see himself because of his frequent visits to the brothel?
5. What secret does Davin impart to Stephen he has never told to another person?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)