Eight Week Quiz A
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What political figure becomes a topic of conversation and disagreement among the adults?
2. What is a major theme of the book?
(a) Coming of age
(b) Irish nationalism and Irish identity
(c) Catholic education versus public education
(d) Catholicism versus Protestantism
3. What is the literary method used in the novel?
(b) chronological account
(c) stream of consciousness
(d) metaphor and irony
4. What was Stephen's early song?
(a) Old Dan tucker
(b) O, the Wild Rose Blooms
(c) In the Gloaming
(d) The Irish Lullaby
5. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
(a) writing letters to Eileen
(b) wearing short pants
(c) wetting his bed
(d) kissing his mother before bedtime
Short Answer Questions
1. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
2. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
3. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
4. Who gets into an argument during Christmas dinner?
5. Who suggests that Stephen broke his glasses himself in order to get out of his schoolwork?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)