|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about his life in the past does Stephen now wonder about?
(a) why he had been born
(b) why he always thinks too much
(c) why his family always had such bad luck
(d) why he refused the priesthood
2. What does Stephen feel by allowing sin to creep near to him before resisting it at the last moment?
(a) like playing a joke on the devil
(b) a sense of power
(c) an intolerable weakness
(d) a terrible fear
3. Who does Lynch whisper to Stephen is also under the shelter?
(a) Stephen's mother
(b) the girl from the tram
(c) the nuns from the madhouse
(d) the girl from the sea
4. Where does Stephen keep himself during the football game?
(a) on the bench
(b) next to the prefect
(c) In the thick of the action
(d) on the fringes of his line
5. What are Stephen's father and the priests always urging him to do?
(a) to be a gentleman and a good Catholic
(b) to confess his sins daily
(c) to enter the priesthood
(d) to work harder at his lessons
Short Answer Questions
1. What breaks up Stephen's general state of doubt and mistrust?
2. How does Stephen see the priests in this first chapter of the book?
3. As he goes outside, what serves to increase his piety?
4. What is detailed by cramped conditions, the darkness, the stench, the fires, the enraged howls and suffering screams of the damned, and the mocking of devils?
5. What does Stephen do when he spots the girl from the tram?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)