|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen do immediately after the play?
(a) He looks for the girl.
(b) He rushes off.
(c) He goes to a cast party.
(d) He hides backstage.
2. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
(a) mostly of politics and family legends
(b) religion and business
(c) gambling and drinking
(d) Irish legends and music
3. What two things bore Stephen?
(a) his friends drinking and his French class
(b) empty conversation and partying
(c) his classmates' rowdy jokes and his teacher's droning voice
(d) his insecurity and his poverty
4. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
(a) funny illustrations
(b) large print
(c) nice sentences
(d) margin notes he wrote
5. How does Stephen see himself because of his frequent visits to the brothel?
(a) as a man and no longer a boy
(b) as a liberated Catholic
(c) as an addict who cannot help himself
(d) sunk into a swamp of spiritual and bodily sloth
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Davin proclaim himself to be?
2. How does Stephen now view the guardians of his boyhood?
3. What happens when summer vacation is over for Stephen?
4. During table conversation, what is a local Catholic priest accused of?
5. How could Stephen's thoughts after leaving the director's office be described in one word?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)