|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strikes fear into the sinner, but is a blessed moment for the believer?
(c) the Eucharist
(d) the divil
2. How does Stephen react to the announcement of the rector?
(a) He plans to be sick next Friday.
(b) His attitude is one of boredom.
(c) He is glad he will have a chance to reform.
(d) His heart withers with fear.
3. By summer, where has the family moved?
4. When does the preacher say the soul of the sinner is judged, and the time for repentance is passed?
(a) while friends are weeping over the coffin
(b) while committing a deliberate sin
(c) while someone is dying
(d) while the world comes to an end
5. How does Stephen now view the guardians of his boyhood?
(a) as ways of keeping him ignorant
(b) as the factor that has made him strong
(c) as means of controlling him
(d) as necessary influences
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the symbolism used to show Stephen's returning to nature?
2. Why does Stephen exert enormous energy in filling his days with penitent devotion, zealous prayers, and rosary recitations?
3. Who does Stephen tell about many of the longings in his soul?
4. Who gets into an argument during Christmas dinner?
5. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)