|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the rector say the retreat signifies?
(a) a withdrawal from the worldly cares
(b) a chance to enter the seminary
(c) a time off for good behavior
(d) a dedication to better study
2. What does Stephen classify as the tragic emotions that look toward both Lynch and him?
(a) joy and lust
(b) pity and terror
(c) fear and confusion
(d) peace and quiet
3. What happens to Stephen's voice as he gets to his major sin?
(a) It fails him completely.
(b) It becomes stronger.
(c) It is choked with emotion.
(d) It is low and murmuring.
4. How does Stephen now view the guardians of his boyhood?
(a) as the factor that has made him strong
(b) as ways of keeping him ignorant
(c) as means of controlling him
(d) as necessary influences
5. What is demanded by boys Stephen meets on the road?
(a) to play hookey that afternoon
(b) money for his lunch
(c) an introduction to Mercedes
(d) identification of his favorite poet
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lynch whisper to Stephen is also under the shelter?
2. What does Stephen figure out about his not returning to Clongowes?
3. What is the literary method used in the novel?
4. How does Stephen come to view all of creation?
5. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)