|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Since the only sins Stephen has to confess these days are minor, what does his confessor want him to name?
(a) his old sins
(b) sins that still tempt him
(c) sins that he would never commit
(d) his fantasies about sinning
2. Who suggests that Stephen broke his glasses himself in order to get out of his schoolwork?
(a) Father Dolan
(b) Father Arnall
(c) Tusker Boyle
(d) the bully Wells
3. What suddenly awakens in Stephen as he revels in nature along the breakwater?
(a) a desire to return to the church
(b) a new found creativity
(c) a better understanding of his family
(d) a longing for security
4. What do various places in the city evoke in Stephen as he passes them by?
(a) a sense of his place in history
(b) ideas for poems he wants to write
(c) passages by various writers
(d) poems of his childhood
5. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
(a) His glasses break.
(b) He runs away from Clongowes.
(c) He gets a bloody nose.
(d) He fights back.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the rector enters the classroom, what does the boy behind Stephen want him to do?
2. What does the rector announce that will take place on Friday?
3. How does Stephen evaluate Cranly's speech?
4. In whose honor is the retreat being held?
5. What is Stephen's condition as he leaves the retreat?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)