|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although he purposefully enters the brothel, how does he feel later?
(a) wounded and shamed by much of what he perceives there
(b) disturbed that he cannot save the workers there
(c) numbed as though he had not gone in
(d) justified that he acted only out of nature
2. What does the preacher say is available to the living to spare them from this everlasting torment?
(a) unqualified absolution
(d) candles and incense
3. Who does Stephen suspect is also in the audience the night of the play?
(c) the girl from the tram
4. What troubles Stephen that is so little cared about in general society?
(a) his family problems
(b) his interest in education
(c) his esthetic philosophy
(d) his religious convictions
5. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
(a) Stephen's grandmother's funeral
(b) the auction of his property
(c) a job interview
(d) a visit to a clinic
Short Answer Questions
1. What comment does Father make that he is admonished not to say in front of Stephen?
2. In answering the dean, who does Stephen quote in Latin?
3. How old is Stephen when he goes to confess his terrible sin?
4. Who gets into an argument during Christmas dinner?
5. What does Stephen do when he spots the girl from the tram?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)