|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
(a) slapped her with his gloves
(b) showed her his backside
(c) spit tobacco juice in her eye
(d) stepped on her toes
2. How does the priest react to Stephen's confession?
(a) refusing to give absolution
(b) with kind words and exhortation
(c) in shock and disgust
(d) suspicious that the boy is exaggerating
3. How does the preacher define sin?
(a) a wallowing in sinful mire
(b) a giving in to our naturally base natures
(c) a rebellion of the intellect, incompatible with our true nature
(d) a slap in the face of God
4. How does Stephen view the dean of studies?
(a) as incapable of understanding
(b) as a courteous and vigilant foe
(c) as old and disrespectful
(d) as an ally in his search for beauty
5. What has Stephen been able to feel instead of love or hate?
(a) only anxiety and fear
(b) only brief anger and lust
(c) only hunger and thirst
(d) only joy and pain
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the director describe the life of a priest?
2. What emotion does Stephen have over the reversal of his family's fortunes?
3. How does Stephen react to the announcement of the rector?
4. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
5. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)