|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is happening with Stephen during further hard times for the family?
(a) He is leaning toward joining the Jesuits.
(b) He is losing his faith again.
(c) He is growing stronger in his faith.
(d) He is turning to a life of crime.
2. While onstage delivering his lines, who does Stephen see in the audience?
(a) Uncle Charles and Dante
(b) Father Arnall
(c) his father with a strange woman
(d) the girl from the tram
3. What causes Stephen to recall how saints were tried again and again by sin?
(a) his many daily temptations
(b) his interest in the lives of saints
(c) his ability to avoid temptation
(d) his lingering guilt for his past
4. What does Stephen suddenly realize about his family relationships?
(a) that they have never been strong
(b) that they are silently severing
(c) that they are becoming stronger
(d) that they have stiffled the family
5. When the rector enters the classroom, what does the boy behind Stephen want him to do?
(a) to put an apple on the rector's desk
(b) to pretend to plug up his ears
(c) to ask the rector a difficult question
(d) to lead a salute to the rector
Short Answer Questions
1. What goes through Stephen's head as he enters the confessional?
2. What does Stephen complain about to the rector?
3. How does the preacher define sin?
4. Where do Stephen and his father go at night by rail?
5. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)