|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Stephen been able to feel instead of love or hate?
(a) only joy and pain
(b) only brief anger and lust
(c) only anxiety and fear
(d) only hunger and thirst
2. What does Stephen do about new words he hears the adults use?
(a) interrupts conversation to ask their meanings
(b) makes a list but does not spell them correctly
(c) figures out their meanings
(d) tries to use them in his own conversation
3. What does Davin proclaim himself to be?
(a) an Irish nationalist
(b) a poor student
(c) an atheist
(d) a non-practicing Jew
4. What does Stephen discover when he returns home from the director's office?
(a) They are all excited about his becoming a priest.
(b) His father is in the hospital.
(c) Uncle Charles has died.
(d) The family is being forced to move again.
5. On his guilt trips, what does Stephen believe?
(a) that he can confess to the Virgin and never do it again
(b) that God created him the way he is and there is nothing he can do about it
(c) that false homage to God cannot atone for sin as grievous as his.
(d) that maybe there is no God and no need for religion
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen see his acts of devotion to God?
2. What troubles Stephen that is so little cared about in general society?
3. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
4. Who does Lynch whisper to Stephen is also under the shelter?
5. What does Stephen classify as the tragic emotions that look toward both Lynch and him?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)