|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen consider the English language?
(a) as an acquired speech
(b) as a hodge podge of many languages
(c) as his native tongue
(d) as the language of the gods
2. How does Stephen feel about the Virgin?
(a) Mary does not humiliate the sinner who approaches her.
(b) As a mother, she overlooks the sins of her children.
(c) She can order her Son to do her will.
(d) She has chosen him to be her white knight.
3. How does Stephen begin to see his mother's faith?
(a) as being disloyal toward him
(b) as being insincere and empty
(c) as fading away with the family trials
(d) as being the cause of his father's failures
4. At the first of the retreat, what helps to awaken Stephen's soul slightly?
(a) the topics of death and judgment
(b) the topic of a caring God
(c) the topics of love and forgiveness
(d) the topic of Pergatory
5. What sensations buoy Stephen's spirits as he walks to class?
(a) the puddles of water and the sight of blue sky
(b) the chill of the air and the sound of birds
(c) the daylight, the dripping trees and the smell of wet leaves
(d) the smell of fresh baked bread and children singing
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
2. What does Stephen do when he spots the girl from the tram?
3. Where does Stephen imagine he will live when he gets married?
4. When does the preacher say the soul of the sinner is judged, and the time for repentance is passed?
5. After what does Stephen model his poem titles in his notebook?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)