|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen begin seeing himself?
(a) as an artist forging a new life
(b) as a rag picker without hope
(c) as a political leader of men
(d) as a stern disciplinarian of boys
2. What are some things Stephen remembers while contemplating his sins?
(a) the filthy pictures he had drawn
(b) peeping on girls in their bath
(c) the ribald poetery he wrote
(d) his sordid dreams and the foul letters he had written
3. When rain starts to fall, where do some students gather for shelter?
(a) in front of the library entrance
(b) under the trees
(c) in the train depot
(d) in coffeeshops
4. What does Stephen seem to hear now that he has changed the course of his life?
(a) noisey clanging of discord
(b) raindrops falling on his head
(c) symphonies of opportunity
(d) strains of elfin music filled with nature
5. What are the Fenians?
(a) people searching for rainbows
(b) French-Irish mixtures
(c) fictional Celtic gods
(d) supporters of Irish nationalism
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the dean ask Stephen if he can answer?
2. What does Davin proclaim himself to be?
3. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
4. What goes through Stephen's head as he enters the confessional?
5. What do the sermons do for Stephen?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)