|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Stephen been able to feel instead of love or hate?
(a) only brief anger and lust
(b) only anxiety and fear
(c) only joy and pain
(d) only hunger and thirst
2. After Blackrock, where does the family move?
(a) into less comfortable accommodations in Dublin
(b) back into their old home
(c) to an apartment in London
(d) to a small house in Belfast
3. What does the rector announce to the class?
(a) extra credit for serving as altarboys
(b) a retreat over the next few days
(c) an early dismissal for the next few days
(d) tests for a scholarship program
4. Who does Stephen suspect is also in the audience the night of the play?
(b) the girl from the tram
5. Since the only sins Stephen has to confess these days are minor, what does his confessor want him to name?
(a) his old sins
(b) his fantasies about sinning
(c) sins that he would never commit
(d) sins that still tempt him
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Stephen refuse the sign a testimonial respecting universal peace?
2. How does Stephen now view his life?
3. What is a major theme of the book?
4. How does the preacher define sin?
5. What is demanded by boys Stephen meets on the road?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)