|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is demanded by boys Stephen meets on the road?
(a) to play hookey that afternoon
(b) identification of his favorite poet
(c) an introduction to Mercedes
(d) money for his lunch
2. What do Stephen and Aubrey do in the meadow?
(a) pretend to be pirates
(b) ride a mare in the field
(c) play football
(d) look for buried treasure
3. What does the rector announce to the class?
(a) a retreat over the next few days
(b) extra credit for serving as altarboys
(c) tests for a scholarship program
(d) an early dismissal for the next few days
4. What happens to Stephen's voice as he gets to his major sin?
(a) It becomes stronger.
(b) It is choked with emotion.
(c) It is low and murmuring.
(d) It fails him completely.
5. Alone in his room, what does Stephen see when he closes his eyes?
(a) the tears of the virgin Mary
(b) faces of saints
(c) the girl Emma begging bread
(d) his sins replayed before him
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps him from confessing his unworthiness and walking out of the chapel?
2. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
3. For what does Stephen continually search?
4. What will be the subjects of the retreat?
5. How does the director describe the life of a priest?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)