|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What goes through Stephen's head as he enters the confessional?
(a) He wonders if the priest will recognize his voice.
(b) He anticipates great relief afterward.
(c) He wishes his sin had been any but the one it is.
(d) He considers running away.
2. What does Stephen seem to hear now that he has changed the course of his life?
(a) strains of elfin music filled with nature
(b) noisey clanging of discord
(c) symphonies of opportunity
(d) raindrops falling on his head
3. As he goes outside, what serves to increase his piety?
(a) the raw morning air
(b) the sound of bells
(c) the songs of the birds
(d) the smell of baking bread
4. How does the director describe the life of a priest?
(a) as being free from all temptation
(b) as one of constant meditation and prayer
(c) as being a way to become rich
(d) as having authority and power without material cares
5. What does the rector announce that will take place on Friday?
(a) all classes will be shortened
(b) a banquet will be served
(c) confession will be heard
(d) a day of prayer and meditation will be observed
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the rector announce to the class?
2. What happens when summer vacation is over for Stephen?
3. What is it about his mother that really bothers Stephen when the subject of the university comes up?
4. What strikes fear into the sinner, but is a blessed moment for the believer?
5. What does Stephen do about new words he hears the adults use?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)