|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the sermons do for Stephen?
(a) They put him to sleep.
(b) They make him reject the teaching of the Church.
(c) They pierce Stephen's clouded mind and sin-numbed soul.
(d) They give him a good laugh.
2. After dinner, why does Stephen march out of the house?
(a) to find a chapel in which to confess
(b) to return to school and see Father Arnall
(c) to find Emma and beg her forgiveness
(d) to go by the brothels to see if he can overcome his lusts
3. Why does Uncle Charles no longer walk to the shops?
(a) He has grown too senile.
(b) He is ashamed of his clothes.
(c) He has a broken leg.
(d) He drives a new carriage.
4. What does Stephen feel by allowing sin to creep near to him before resisting it at the last moment?
(a) a terrible fear
(b) an intolerable weakness
(c) a sense of power
(d) like playing a joke on the devil
5. What do Stephen and Aubrey do in the meadow?
(a) pretend to be pirates
(b) look for buried treasure
(c) play football
(d) ride a mare in the field
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen see his acts of devotion to God?
2. What is detailed by cramped conditions, the darkness, the stench, the fires, the enraged howls and suffering screams of the damned, and the mocking of devils?
3. How does Stephen begin to see his mother's faith?
4. What goes through Stephen's head as he enters the confessional?
5. After what does Stephen model his poem titles in his notebook?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)