|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps him from confessing his unworthiness and walking out of the chapel?
(a) the Virgin Mary
(b) the peacefulness of the chapel
(c) the priest is watching him
(d) the fear of God
2. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
(a) a visit to a clinic
(b) a job interview
(c) Stephen's grandmother's funeral
(d) the auction of his property
3. By summer, where has the family moved?
4. What does Stephen do after running in ecstasy along the beach?
(a) returns to look for the girl
(b) runs home to tell his mother
(c) lies down and falls asleep
(d) goes home to write poetry
5. What does Stephen do about new words he hears the adults use?
(a) makes a list but does not spell them correctly
(b) interrupts conversation to ask their meanings
(c) figures out their meanings
(d) tries to use them in his own conversation
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen feel by allowing sin to creep near to him before resisting it at the last moment?
2. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
3. When does the preacher say the soul of the sinner is judged, and the time for repentance is passed?
4. What does Stephen do immediately after the play?
5. When the rector enters the classroom, what does the boy behind Stephen want him to do?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)