|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Since the only sins Stephen has to confess these days are minor, what does his confessor want him to name?
(a) his old sins
(b) his fantasies about sinning
(c) sins that he would never commit
(d) sins that still tempt him
2. What public transportation does Stephen take?
(a) horse drawn trams
(b) new motor buses
(c) market carts
(d) shank's mare
3. How does the preacher define sin?
(a) a rebellion of the intellect, incompatible with our true nature
(b) a giving in to our naturally base natures
(c) a slap in the face of God
(d) a wallowing in sinful mire
4. At school, what is the unusual word Stephen sees carved into a desk?
5. Going through all these strict devotions, how does Stephen come to feel about himself?
(a) as newly born and as having a virtuous soul
(b) as a serious candidate for the priesthood
(c) as a person burdened with grave responsibility
(d) as an unworthy penitent
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Stephen and Aubrey do in the meadow?
2. When does the preacher say the soul of the sinner is judged, and the time for repentance is passed?
3. What is happening with Stephen during further hard times for the family?
4. What does Stephen think when he sees his friends playing in the water?
5. Where does Stephen's walking around in smaller and smaller circles eventually lead him?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)