|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Stephen and Aubrey do in the meadow?
(a) look for buried treasure
(b) play football
(c) pretend to be pirates
(d) ride a mare in the field
2. What does Stephen discover when he returns home from the director's office?
(a) They are all excited about his becoming a priest.
(b) Uncle Charles has died.
(c) His father is in the hospital.
(d) The family is being forced to move again.
3. Alone in his room, what does Stephen see when he closes his eyes?
(a) his sins replayed before him
(b) the tears of the virgin Mary
(c) the girl Emma begging bread
(d) faces of saints
4. Why does Uncle Charles no longer walk to the shops?
(a) He drives a new carriage.
(b) He is ashamed of his clothes.
(c) He has grown too senile.
(d) He has a broken leg.
5. What interpretation does Stephen give to his dream and visions of beasts in the field?
(a) That he will find salvation in a field.
(b) That he will reincarnate as a beast.
(c) That it is the hell awaiting him: bestial and foul.
(d) That anyone looking at him will know his sins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is detailed by cramped conditions, the darkness, the stench, the fires, the enraged howls and suffering screams of the damned, and the mocking of devils?
2. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
3. What does Stephen do after running in ecstasy along the beach?
4. How does Stephen classify one who plays the role of a believer though he does not believe?
5. How does Stephen feel about the Virgin?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)