|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen feel by allowing sin to creep near to him before resisting it at the last moment?
(a) a terrible fear
(b) an intolerable weakness
(c) a sense of power
(d) like playing a joke on the devil
2. How does Stephen come to view all of creation?
(a) as an accident of nature
(b) as the evolution of the species
(c) as a reminder of the lust in the world
(d) as an expression of God's love and power
3. How could Stephen's thoughts after leaving the director's office be described in one word?
4. What is demanded by boys Stephen meets on the road?
(a) money for his lunch
(b) to play hookey that afternoon
(c) an introduction to Mercedes
(d) identification of his favorite poet
5. After dinner, why does Stephen march out of the house?
(a) to go by the brothels to see if he can overcome his lusts
(b) to find a chapel in which to confess
(c) to return to school and see Father Arnall
(d) to find Emma and beg her forgiveness
Short Answer Questions
1. What worries Stephen about his devotions?
2. After what does Stephen model his poem titles in his notebook?
3. When does the preacher say the soul of the sinner is judged, and the time for repentance is passed?
4. What are some things Stephen remembers while contemplating his sins?
5. What causes Stephen to recall how saints were tried again and again by sin?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)