|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen now view the guardians of his boyhood?
(a) as the factor that has made him strong
(b) as means of controlling him
(c) as ways of keeping him ignorant
(d) as necessary influences
2. In whose honor is the retreat being held?
(a) Saint Francis of Assissi
(b) The Virgin Mary
(c) Saint Jude, patron of lost causes
(d) Saint Francis Xavier, patron of the college
3. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
(a) He kisses her.
(b) He sits her in his lap.
(c) He calls her Mercedes.
(d) He helps her off the tram.
4. What does Stephen figure out about his not returning to Clongowes?
(a) From then on he will be home schooled.
(b) It signifies a change in his father's finances.
(c) His father has converted to Protestantism.
(d) They plan to send him to England to study.
5. While onstage delivering his lines, who does Stephen see in the audience?
(a) Father Arnall
(b) Uncle Charles and Dante
(c) the girl from the tram
(d) his father with a strange woman
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stephen coming to believe about gaining wisdom?
2. Where does Stephen's walking around in smaller and smaller circles eventually lead him?
3. How does the preacher define sin?
4. What is Stephen's condition as he leaves the retreat?
5. For what does Stephen continually search?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)