|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
(a) a job interview
(b) the auction of his property
(c) a visit to a clinic
(d) Stephen's grandmother's funeral
2. What do the sermons do for Stephen?
(a) They put him to sleep.
(b) They give him a good laugh.
(c) They pierce Stephen's clouded mind and sin-numbed soul.
(d) They make him reject the teaching of the Church.
3. By summer, where has the family moved?
4. How does Stephen now view his life?
(a) as a complete waste from which he learned nothing
(b) as a hopeless drifter without proper education
(c) as a drudge worker in a heartless world
(d) as an escape from the old path and embarking on a new one
5. What distracting sight does Stephen come upon while he wades in the water?
(a) a passing ship headed for new adventures
(b) a beautiful girl standing in the water gazing out to sea
(c) a porpoise leaping in the salty water
(d) a long legged crane perched on one leg
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Stephen and Aubrey Mills formulate?
2. At the first of the retreat, what helps to awaken Stephen's soul slightly?
3. What are some things Stephen remembers while contemplating his sins?
4. When does the preacher say the soul of the sinner is judged, and the time for repentance is passed?
5. What does Stephen figure out about his not returning to Clongowes?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)