|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job is given to Stephen?
(a) carrying messages
(b) doing laundry
(c) delivering newspapers
(d) unpacking boxes
2. What does the rector say the retreat signifies?
(a) a dedication to better study
(b) a withdrawal from the worldly cares
(c) a time off for good behavior
(d) a chance to enter the seminary
3. How does Stephen see himself because of his frequent visits to the brothel?
(a) as a man and no longer a boy
(b) sunk into a swamp of spiritual and bodily sloth
(c) as an addict who cannot help himself
(d) as a liberated Catholic
4. What does Stephen discover when he returns home from the director's office?
(a) They are all excited about his becoming a priest.
(b) Uncle Charles has died.
(c) His father is in the hospital.
(d) The family is being forced to move again.
5. What are some things Stephen remembers while contemplating his sins?
(a) peeping on girls in their bath
(b) the filthy pictures he had drawn
(c) his sordid dreams and the foul letters he had written
(d) the ribald poetery he wrote
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose honor is the retreat being held?
2. How does Stephen now view his life?
3. What does the rector announce to the class?
4. What do Stephen and Aubrey Mills formulate?
5. Whose innocence does Stephen remember trampling on?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)