|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the preacher define sin?
(a) a rebellion of the intellect, incompatible with our true nature
(b) a giving in to our naturally base natures
(c) a slap in the face of God
(d) a wallowing in sinful mire
2. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
(a) He does not get new clothes.
(b) His father sells the automobile.
(c) His mother takes in laundry.
(d) He notices slight changes around the house.
3. What is it about his mother that really bothers Stephen when the subject of the university comes up?
(a) her objection to the expense
(b) her contempt for education
(c) her distrust of him
(d) her indifference
4. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
(a) Irish legends and music
(b) religion and business
(c) gambling and drinking
(d) mostly of politics and family legends
5. Alone in his room, what does Stephen see when he closes his eyes?
(a) the tears of the virgin Mary
(b) his sins replayed before him
(c) the girl Emma begging bread
(d) faces of saints
Short Answer Questions
1. What is demanded by boys Stephen meets on the road?
2. While onstage delivering his lines, who does Stephen see in the audience?
3. What does Stephen discover when he returns home from the director's office?
4. After dinner, why does Stephen march out of the house?
5. To what does Stephen devote each different day of the week?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)