|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What distracting sight does Stephen come upon while he wades in the water?
(a) a beautiful girl standing in the water gazing out to sea
(b) a porpoise leaping in the salty water
(c) a passing ship headed for new adventures
(d) a long legged crane perched on one leg
2. What does Stephen figure out about his not returning to Clongowes?
(a) His father has converted to Protestantism.
(b) From then on he will be home schooled.
(c) They plan to send him to England to study.
(d) It signifies a change in his father's finances.
3. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
(a) a visit to a clinic
(b) a job interview
(c) the auction of his property
(d) Stephen's grandmother's funeral
4. What is Stephen coming to believe about gaining wisdom?
(a) It must involve his family.
(b) It must be learned through study.
(c) It must come from his own experience.
(d) It must happen through a miracle.
5. What happens to Stephen's voice as he gets to his major sin?
(a) It fails him completely.
(b) It is low and murmuring.
(c) It becomes stronger.
(d) It is choked with emotion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about his life in the past does Stephen now wonder about?
2. How does the preacher define sin?
3. What are Stephen's father and the priests always urging him to do?
4. What is detailed by cramped conditions, the darkness, the stench, the fires, the enraged howls and suffering screams of the damned, and the mocking of devils?
5. After Blackrock, where does the family move?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)