* Opening of the novel reveals some background in stream of consciousness prose.
* The story moves to Clongowes Wood College where Stephen comes across as rather weak and intimidated.
* Stephen is bullied by a boy named Wells who shoves him into a ditch making him become ill.
* Stephen's time in the infirmary allows for his imagination to run wild.
* The historical figure of Parnell is used as a background for Irish nationalism.
* Christmas vacation presents the Dedalus family as well to do at this time.
* Conversation at the table among the adults further emphasizes the theme of Irish nationalism.
* The theme of devout Catholicism also comes out in the heated conversations at the table.
* Back at Clongowes Wood College, five boys have run away which becomes a great topic of conversation.
* The theme of sin and punishment is introduced by the gossip and ultimate return of the runaway...
This section contains 1,449 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)