• Opening of the novel reveals some background in stream of consciousness prose.
• The story moves to Clongowes Wood College where Stephen comes across as rather weak and intimidated.
• Stephen is bullied by a boy named Wells who shoves him into a ditch making him become ill.
• Stephen's time in the infirmary allows for his imagination to run wild.
• The historical figure of Parnell is used as a background for Irish nationalism.
• Christmas vacation presents the Dedalus family as well to do at this time.
• Conversation at the table among the adults further emphasizes the theme of Irish nationalism.
• The theme of devout Catholicism also comes out in the heated conversations at the table.
• Back at Clongowes Wood College, five boys have run away which becomes a great topic of conversation.
• The theme of sin and punishment is introduced by the gossip and ultimate return of the runaway...
This section contains 1,593 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)