|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lute surprised to see come into the Stage Coach Inn?
2. What happens when Julian arrives at Harry's home?
3. What does Caroline want Julian to do?
4. Where do Lute and Irma Fliegler attend a Christmas night dinner dance?
5. Helene is mad because Al is watching her and ______________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the irony of Julian's wish to use his middle initials--McH? What do the initials indicate about his background? Why is Julian so proud of his initials? What would Julian's feelings be about his initials if he were to discover their actual heritage?
Essay Topic 2
Alcoholism is a big theme in this story. What part does it play in the financial health of the city? Cite some examples of its destructive nature especially as it applies to Julian English.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Prohibition and its effect on the U.S. in the 1920s and 1930s. How do Julian and his friends manage to sidestep Prohibition? Explain why Prohibition gives rise to organized crime.
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)