|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Caroline say that Julian's friends will not be able to stand behind him?
2. As a result of the strike, what did the people of Gibbsville begin to use in their homes?
3. To what does Irma look forward to next year?
4. What does Ed do with the information Al provides him about people?
5. What does Julian want to do to the person telling the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use Caroline as the typical example of a young woman and her options in the 1920s?
2. How do Julian and Caroline use sex as punishment and reward in their relationship?
3. What is the main industry for the city of Gibbsville?
4. How does Julian's boyhood affect his behavior today?
5. Explain the inner workings of status in the mob.
6. In what way does Caroline show that she does not have any better coping skills that Julian does?
7. What is the irony about Dr. English's view on his son's alcohol abuse?
8. What is the irony of Julian's reaching out to Monsignor Creedon?
9. What does Christmas dinner at Julian's parent's home exemplify?
10. How is the cycle of alcoholism complete for Julian now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alcoholism is a big theme in this story. What part does it play in the financial health of the city? Cite some examples of its destructive nature especially as it applies to Julian English.
Essay Topic 2
Julian is a classic alcoholic. Cite some typical behaviors of alcoholics and how Julian exhibits the behaviors. How do Caroline and Julian's parents exhibit the typical behavior of those close to alcoholics?
Essay Topic 3
What is the state of the finances of the people of Gibbsville? How do most of the people fare during the Great Depression? How do the Flieglers manage vs. people like the Englishes?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)