|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Irma think as she looks out the window?
2. What is Julian's wife's name?
3. What possession of her grandfather's does Irma wish she had?
4. What is the reason Ed cannot go to the Stage Coach Inn tonight?
5. After the strike it was too much trouble to ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Julian and Caroline address Julian's drinking problem before the party?
2. What are the potential consequences of Julian's insulting Harry?
3. How does Julian's father react to Julian's death?
4. What are Al Greco's living arrangements?
5. What does William English do for the first ten years after his father's death?
6. What does Christmas dinner at Julian's parent's home exemplify?
7. What comment does Lute make that is foreshadowing for an upcoming event?
8. What coping mechanisms do Julian and Caroline employ to hide Julian's drunken incident from his parents?
9. What is the irony about Dr. English's view on his son's alcohol abuse?
10. What were the repercussions of the coal strike in 1925?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julian is a classic alcoholic. Cite some typical behaviors of alcoholics and how Julian exhibits the behaviors. How do Caroline and Julian's parents exhibit the typical behavior of those close to alcoholics?
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in the novel. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Prohibition and its effect on the U.S. in the 1920s and 1930s. How do Julian and his friends manage to sidestep Prohibition? Explain why Prohibition gives rise to organized crime.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)