|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ed do with the information Al provides him about people?
2. Which physician does William English not like?
3. How could the late-1920s be characterized for Gibbsville?
4. What day is it when Chapter 2, Part 3 begins?
5. When is the Englishs' party scheduled?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author choose to describe more of the setting in Chapter 3, Part 1?
2. Who are the happiest people in this story?
3. What is ironic about Julian's offense toward Harry Reilly?
4. What does this chapter reveal about the story's protagonist, Julian English?
5. Explain the etiquette dynamics of parties held in Gibbsville in regard to escorts for the women.
6. Who are the principal managers of the Stage Coach Inn?
7. What does Christmas dinner at Julian's parent's home exemplify?
8. What are Al Greco's living arrangements?
9. Explain the inner workings of status in the mob.
10. Describe Al Greco.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alcoholism is a big theme in this story. What part does it play in the financial health of the city? Cite some examples of its destructive nature especially as it applies to Julian English.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the racial discrimination in Gibbsville. How is it displayed? What is the racial demographic of Gibbsville? Why does Irma feel entitled to live there but resents some others who do?
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in the novel. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)