|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Caroline say she will attempt to come to their party?
2. Why was Al sent to prison?
3. What is Al Grecco bringing with him?
4. What does Caroline ask Julian to do with the gift?
5. How did the coal strike affect the people of Gibbsville?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effects does alcoholism have on Julian's life?
2. Who is Ed Charney?
3. What is the extent of prejudice in this story?
4. What is the irony about Dr. English's view on his son's alcohol abuse?
5. Why does the author choose to describe more of the setting in Chapter 3, Part 1?
6. What are Irma Fliegler's thoughts as she looks out the window on Christmas morning?
7. Explain the etiquette dynamics of parties held in Gibbsville in regard to escorts for the women.
8. Why is Gibbsville not enjoying the boom time with the rest of America in 1930?
9. What does Caroline threaten Julian with if he does not straighten out the mess with Harry?
10. Explain how Julian's alcohol problem is escalating despite his attempts to act normally.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most of the people in the story are very concerned with status symbols. What are some of the status symbols? What do they provide for their respective owners?
Essay Topic 2
Why is it especially tragic that Julian reaches out to another person besides Caroline--Monsignor Creedon--and not receive any help? Why is Monsignor Creedon also a tragic figure? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What was the author's purpose for establishing the story at the Christmas holiday? Is there any significance to his choosing this holiday? What is particularly poignant or painful about this choice for his characters? Explain.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)