|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does this story currently take place?
2. What is the name of the wife mentioned in #1?
3. What does Julian want to do to the person telling the story?
(a) Beat him at pool
(b) Introduce him to his sister
(c) Throw a drink in his face
(d) Buy his dinner
4. Who has made arrangements to let Al stay rent free?
(a) Lute Fliegler
(b) Ed Charney
(c) Ross Campbell
(d) Julian English
5. How far does Al drive the car?
(a) To the edge of town
(b) To New York
(c) To the country club
(d) To Julian's house
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Caroline say that Julian's friends will not be able to stand behind him?
2. What do both Julian and Caroline get from the Englishes?
3. What has Julian's father not yet learned?
4. What is Irma planning for the afternoon?
5. How much did Ed Charney give Al to have Ed's car washed after Al got out of prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the cycle of alcoholism complete for Julian now?
2. What does William English do for the first ten years after his father's death?
3. What coping mechanisms do Julian and Caroline use to try to control the alcohol abuse?
4. Of all the men from whom she had to choose, why was Caroline drawn to Julian?
5. How does the author contrast Lute Fliegler to Julian English in this chapter?
6. In what way does Caroline show that she does not have any better coping skills that Julian does?
7. What comment does Lute make that is foreshadowing for an upcoming event?
8. What are Irma Fliegler's thoughts as she looks out the window on Christmas morning?
9. How does the author show that Lute and Irma have a good relationship?
10. How does Julian's boyhood affect his behavior today?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)