|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Julian's father chastise him for?
(a) His clothes
(b) His drinking
(c) His mistress
(d) His spending
2. Who is Al Grecco's boss?
(a) Lute Fliegler
(b) Ross Campbell
(c) Ed Charney
(d) Julian English
3. In what year did the coal strike occur?
4. How far does Al drive the car?
(a) To Julian's house
(b) To the country club
(c) To the edge of town
(d) To New York
5. Julian's parents are very fond of ________________.
(c) Good wine
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Ed cannot go to the Stage Coach Inn tonight?
2. How could the late-1920s be characterized for America?
3. What is the name of the wife mentioned in #1?
4. Caroline knows that Julian is jealous of ___________ attention toward her.
5. Gibbsville lies in the _____________________ region.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the extent of prejudice in this story?
2. Explain how alcohol can be both a positive and a negative for Ed Charney.
3. Explain the inner workings of status in the mob.
4. What coping mechanisms do Julian and Caroline employ to hide Julian's drunken incident from his parents?
5. What does William English do for the first ten years after his father's death?
6. In what way does Caroline show that she does not have any better coping skills that Julian does?
7. What does Al do with his life after leaving prison?
8. Describe Al Greco.
9. What are the potential consequences of Julian's insulting Harry?
10. What is the irony of Julian's reaching out to Monsignor Creedon?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)