|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do most people drink during this Prohibition Era?
(a) Rye and ginger ale
2. Why do Julian and Caroline go to the answer to #97?
(b) See the latest film
(c) See friends
(d) Christmas dinner
3. What does Lute consider making to take to the party?
(b) Nacho dip
(c) Chocolate cake
(d) Frozen margaritas
4. What is William English's political party affiliation?
5. Who is Ed Charney?
(a) Al Grecco's neighbor
(b) Organized crime boss in the region
(c) Julian English's boss
(d) Lute Fliegler's brother-in-law
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does William English belong in Gibbsville?
2. What day is it as the novel opens?
3. Who does Caroline say she will attempt to come to their party?
4. Who is William Dilworth English?
5. In what year does the story begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use another instance of foreshadowing for a climactic event soon to come?
2. Describe Julian's father.
3. What were the repercussions of the coal strike in 1925?
4. What is the irony of Julian's reaching out to Monsignor Creedon?
5. What is the extent of prejudice in this story?
6. How does the author contrast Lute Fliegler to Julian English in this chapter?
7. Of all the men from whom she had to choose, why was Caroline drawn to Julian?
8. What are the potential consequences of Julian's insulting Harry?
9. What are Irma Fliegler's thoughts as she looks out the window on Christmas morning?
10. How do Julian and Caroline use sex as punishment and reward in their relationship?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)