|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Julian want to do to the person telling the story?
(a) Beat him at pool
(b) Introduce him to his sister
(c) Buy his dinner
(d) Throw a drink in his face
2. From where does Caroline return this morning?
(a) Her mother's home
(b) Visiting the neighbor childen
(c) The supermarket
3. What does Al yell from his car window?
(a) "Merry Christmas, you stuck-up bastards!"
(b) "God bless us everyone!"
(c) "And to all a good night!"
(d) "Happy New Year!"
4. Where does Lute tease Irma that other women may want to take him?
(b) To the barn
(d) To the terrace
5. How could the late-1920s be characterized for America?
(a) Boom time
(c) High inflation
6. What is the only day of the year that Ed Charney spends at home with his wife and son?
(a) New Year's Day
(b) Christmas Day
(c) His anniversary
(d) His son's birthday
7. How far does Al drive the car?
(a) To Julian's house
(b) To New York
(c) To the country club
(d) To the edge of town
8. As a result of the strike, what did the people of Gibbsville begin to use in their homes?
(b) Oil burners
9. What is Al Grecco bringing with him?
(a) A case of champagne
(b) His wife and kids
(c) Clothes for an extended stay
(d) His will
10. Why does Caroline say that Julian's friends will not be able to stand behind him?
(a) They are fickle
(b) They are spineless
(c) They are idiots
(d) Most of them owe Harry money
11. Who does Al see as he drives past the country club?
(a) Julian and Irma
(b) Julian and Caroline
(c) Ed and Caroline
(d) Caroline and Irma
12. Who is William Dilworth English?
(a) Julian's father
(b) Julian's grandfather
(c) Julian's brother
(d) Julian's nephew
13. What was the profession of William English's father?
(b) Bank president
14. When is the Englishs' party scheduled?
(a) The day after Christmas
(b) New Year's Day
(c) Christmas Eve
(d) New Year's Eve
15. Whose opinion is Julian concerned with today?
(b) His mother's
(d) His father's
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Al Grecco live?
2. What do both Julian and Caroline get from the Englishes?
3. Where is Al Grecco coming from as Chapter 1, Part 3 begins?
4. Why does Ed like to have Al stationed at the Apollo Hotel?
5. How does Julian's father view Julian's drinking?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)