|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the man telling a story in a corner of the room?
(a) Harry Shannon
(b) Harry Reilly
(c) Mack MacGuire
(d) Ed Charney
2. What are the people in the room doing?
(a) Playing billiards
(b) Playing cards
(d) Having dinner
3. What reminds Julian of his shameful behavior of the night before?
(a) Lipstick on his collar
(b) Broken wine glasses
(c) His rumpled tuxedo
(d) Caroline's empty bed
4. Who is Ed Charney?
(a) Julian English's boss
(b) Organized crime boss in the region
(c) Lute Fliegler's brother-in-law
(d) Al Grecco's neighbor
5. Where do Julian and Caroline go today?
(b) The movies
(c) Julian's parents' home
(d) A book club meeting
6. What does Caroline ask Julian to do with the gift?
(a) Have it altered
(b) Have it engraved
(c) Have the title put in her name
(d) Return it
7. What was the profession of William English's father?
(d) Bank president
8. To what does Irma look forward to next year?
(a) Going on vacation
(b) Joining the country club
(c) Having another baby
(d) Buying a new house
9. Who is the only person Julian wants to see today?
10. Who does Al see as he drives past the country club?
(a) Julian and Caroline
(b) Julian and Irma
(c) Caroline and Irma
(d) Ed and Caroline
11. How did the coal strike affect the people of Gibbsville?
(a) It was disastrous
(b) It was a turning point
(c) It was beneficial
(d) It was very positive
12. Who is Al Grecco's boss?
(a) Julian English
(b) Ed Charney
(c) Ross Campbell
(d) Lute Fliegler
13. To what does William English belong in Gibbsville?
(a) Every civic group
(b) The volunteer fire department
(c) The Boy Scouts
(d) The garden club
14. What is Al Grecco bringing with him?
(a) His will
(b) A case of champagne
(c) His wife and kids
(d) Clothes for an extended stay
15. What is the setting for Chapter 1, Part 2?
(a) Reading Hills Country Club
(b) The VFW Hall
(c) The K of C Hall
(d) Lantenengo Country Club
Short Answer Questions
1. What do most people drink during this Prohibition Era?
2. What does Julian's father chastise him for?
3. In what year does this story currently take place?
4. How could the late-1920s be characterized for Gibbsville?
5. Caroline knows that Julian is jealous of ___________ attention toward her.
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)