|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the driver of the car in front of Al?
2. What day is it when Chapter 2, Part 3 begins?
(a) New Year's Eve
(b) Memorial Day
(c) Christmas Day
(d) Christmas Eve
3. What does Lute want to take to the party?
(b) Deli trays
(d) His own liquor
4. What is the only day of the year that Ed Charney spends at home with his wife and son?
(a) New Year's Day
(b) His son's birthday
(c) Christmas Day
(d) His anniversary
5. What sport did Al used to do?
(b) Horse racing
6. Why does Caroline say that Julian's friends will not be able to stand behind him?
(a) They are spineless
(b) Most of them owe Harry money
(c) They are idiots
(d) They are fickle
7. How far does Al drive the car?
(a) To the edge of town
(b) To Julian's house
(c) To the country club
(d) To New York
8. After the strike it was too much trouble to ____________________.
(a) Find new jobs
(b) Ship the coal
(c) Re-open the mines
(d) Switch back to coal
9. Gibbsville lies in the _____________________ region.
(d) Anthracite coal
10. What does Lute arrange to pick up?
(a) Deli trays
(b) Studebaker sedan
(d) His mother
11. In what year does the story begin?
12. From what disease is William English's father assumed to have suffered?
(d) Heart disease
13. Why does Ed like to have Al stationed at the Apollo Hotel?
(a) To make phone calls
(b) To receive messages
(c) To get hookers
(d) To make liquor deals
14. What is William Dilworth English's profession?
15. What possession of her grandfather's does Irma wish she had?
(c) Congressional Medal of Honor
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the coal strike affect the people of Gibbsville?
2. What does Julian want to do to the person telling the story?
3. What is the setting for Chapter 1, Part 2?
4. What is Lute's occupation?
5. What does Julian do for ten years after his father's death?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)