|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what street do Lute and Irma live?
(a) Maple Street
(b) Landon Street
(c) Lantenengo Street
(d) Landis Street
2. Who is Ed Charney?
(a) Julian English's boss
(b) Lute Fliegler's brother-in-law
(c) Al Grecco's neighbor
(d) Organized crime boss in the region
3. What is Al Grecco bringing with him?
(a) Clothes for an extended stay
(b) A case of champagne
(c) His will
(d) His wife and kids
4. What does Julian's father chastise him for?
(a) His spending
(b) His drinking
(c) His mistress
(d) His clothes
5. Julian's parents are very fond of ________________.
(c) Good wine
6. Many people in Gibbsville still have ____________.
7. Gibbsville is a stronghold of ______________________.
(d) Union labor
8. What is the reason Ed cannot go to the Stage Coach Inn tonight?
(a) He has the flu
(b) His car is broken
(c) His son broke his arm
(d) He got a flat tire
9. Gibbsville lies in the _____________________ region.
(d) Anthracite coal
10. In what city do Lute and Irma live?
11. What does Irma think as she looks out the window?
(a) How much she loves her husband
(b) How much she hates the Jewish family across the street
(c) How she wants to talk to her mother
(d) How she can't wait until the kids get up
12. What do most people drink during this Prohibition Era?
(b) Rye and ginger ale
13. How far does Al drive the car?
(a) To New York
(b) To the country club
(c) To the edge of town
(d) To Julian's house
14. How could the late-1920s be characterized for Gibbsville?
(a) Not a boom time
(c) High growth
(d) High prosperity
15. Who has Julian apparently humiliated?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is William Dilworth English's profession?
2. Who wakes his wife as the story begins?
3. What sport did Al used to do?
4. What is the relationship between Julian and the person telling the story?
5. In what year did the coal strike occur?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)