|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For about how long does Dr. Poole work on the assignment given to him by the primitive community?
2. What emotion best describes Dr. Poole's state of mind after the mating rituals?
3. Why is Loola afraid of entering into a romantic relationship with Dr. Poole?
4. With respect to the strange behavior of the primitives, Dr. Poole experiences a change from which state to which state?
5. What will happen to the deformation rate of babies in fifty years, according to the Arch Vicar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Arch Vicar's explanation for why his people worship Belial, all the while acknowledging the being's evilness.
2. What is the Arch Vicar's theory of history? What does this have to do with the "Order of Things"?
3. How does the Arch Vicar find out about Dr. Poole's escape? How does he react?
4. What restrictions are placed on mating in the primitive community? What happens to those who dare to disobey?
5. What effect has the Industrial Revolution had on humanity according to the Arch Vicar?
6. What is Dr. Poole's reasoning for why Belial can never win in his battle against mankind?
7. Describe what occurs immediately preceding Dr. Poole's faint at the Purification Ceremonies.
8. What commentary does the script narrator offer about joy (as described in a poem by Shelley) and the possibility of joy in the ape-mind?
9. What is the Arch Vicar's stance on the reality of demonic possession?
10. Describe Dr. Poole's emotional state of mind after being ravished by the two mulatto girls.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Huxley may have chosen to start Ape and Essence on the date of Gandhi's assassination. Explain Gandhi's historical significance. What kind of insight might an understanding of Gandhi's teaching have on some of the themes and messages of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character of William Tallis and the extent to which he is a surrogate or reflection of Huxley himself. Why is it important that he wrote the Ape and Essence screenplay? What is the significance of his gravestone, and the grave's location?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the fictionalized world history put forth by Ape and Essence. How was the majority of mankind destroyed? Why was New Zealand spared? How does fear of war relate to the time period Huxley was writing in?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)