|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Dr. Poole feel proper food production will take in the primitive community?
2. When workers arrive to be assigned jobs for the year, what article of clothing are they given?
3. The Hots community has what relationship to the government of the primitives?
4. What is the Arch Vicar's opinion of demon possession?
5. What is the name for those who do not obey the strict mating rituals of the Arch Vicar's religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the poetry of Percy Shelley contribute to the development of romance between Dr. Poole and Loola?
2. What is Dr. Poole's reasoning for why Belial can never win in his battle against mankind?
3. Describe what occurs immediately preceding Dr. Poole's faint at the Purification Ceremonies.
4. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
5. Describe the events in which Dr. Poole and Loola are assigned new jobs in the primitive community.
6. According to the Arch Vicar, did Belial need the atomic bomb to assure the destruction of mankind?
7. What became of the Canterbury and its crew, ultimately?
8. What commentary does the script narrator offer about joy (as described in a poem by Shelley) and the possibility of joy in the ape-mind?
9. Describe the initial entrance of the Arch Vicar.
10. What is the Arch Vicar's theory of history? What does this have to do with the "Order of Things"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ape and Essence presents a dystopic view of the future. What is a dystopia? What are the features of such a place? What specific aspects of Ape and Essence are dystopic? Why might an author depict such a dystopia?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of Science in Ape and Essence? How does science drive the plot? Character motivations? How does Huxley regard the pursuit of Science? Is science a danger as well as a potential boon? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Huxley may have chosen to start Ape and Essence on the date of Gandhi's assassination. Explain Gandhi's historical significance. What kind of insight might an understanding of Gandhi's teaching have on some of the themes and messages of the book?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)