|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advantage does the Arch Vicar see for an unmutated male to join his church?
2. What job is assigned to Loola after her job review?
3. On what structure are the babies sacrificed?
4. What happens to sexually aggressive boys in the primitive community?
5. Where are the Arch Vicar's books kept?
Essay Topic 1
Ape and Essence presents a dystopic view of the future. What is a dystopia? What are the features of such a place? What specific aspects of Ape and Essence are dystopic? Why might an author depict such a dystopia?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the philosophical passages in Ape and Essence are devoted to the nature of evil. According to Dr. Poole, what is the nature of evil? What is the nature of evil to the Arch Vicar? In each man's view, what is man's relationship to Belial/evil? Can man improve his station or somehow overcome evil eventually?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the steps involved in the Purification Ceremonies of Belial's Day. What is the goal of the Purification Ceremonies? What is the religious belief system behind the ceremonies?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)