|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the novel, where are Dr. Poole and Loola headed?
2. The Hots community has what relationship to the government of the primitives?
3. According to the Arch Vicar, what makes men into cowards, saints, and humans?
4. When evil destroys itself, what notion returns back to humanity?
5. What is the most obvious difference between Arch Vicar's community and the Hots?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much discussion is centered around the discovery of the truth and the nature of knowledge. What kind of theory of truth/knowledge does the novel put forth? How do the Arch Vicar and Dr. Poole differ about the nature of truth and knowledge? What is the consequence for an absence of truth?
Essay Topic 2
How is organized religion depicted in Ape and Essence? Do you believe Huxley intends the Arch Vicar's religion to provide a characterization of all of organized religion? How might the Belial religion compare to modern Christian religion? Is organized religion another of society's ills in Huxley's view?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between Dr. Poole and Loola. Why are they compatible souls? What aspects of humanity do they share? Why is Loola different from the other primitives? What does Loola have that Miss Ethel Hook does not?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)