|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advantage does the Arch Vicar see for an unmutated male to join his church?
2. What job is assigned to Loola after her job review?
3. On what structure are the babies sacrificed?
4. What happens to sexually aggressive boys in the primitive community?
5. Where are the Arch Vicar's books kept?
Essay Topic 1
Explain some of the Arch Vicar's views? These would include:
a) theory of world history
b) theory of divinity and Belial
c) theory of demon possession
d) why his church is a positive influence
Essay Topic 2
Similar to Huxley's own Brave New World, Ape and Essence is concerned with the danger of totalitarian states. Explain how Huxley makes this fear manifest and how world events in Huxley's life encouraged Huxley to pursue cautionary tales about totalitarianism.
Essay Topic 3
Sex versus romance creates tension in Ape and Essence. Explain how this tension is developed through the following situations:
a) The relationship between Dr. Poole and Loola.
b) The relationship between Dr. Poole and Miss Ethel Hook.
c) The Chief's sexual behavior versus the Arch Vicar's sexual behavior
d) The seasonal mating ritual of the primitives
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)