|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Chief displeased with Dr. Poole and his opinion of food production?
2. What does the Arch Vicar believe about Belial's relationship to the atomic bomb?
3. What is the most obvious difference between Arch Vicar's community and the Hots?
4. How many laborers are assigned to Dr. Poole in his job?
5. Which church member actually does the killing of the babies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain some of the Arch Vicar's views? These would include:
a) theory of world history
b) theory of divinity and Belial
c) theory of demon possession
d) why his church is a positive influence
Essay Topic 2
The poetry of Percy Shelley is a crucial element in the novel. Examine the passages of Shelley's poetry engraved on William Tallis' gravestone. What does this poetry mean? Why was it chosen for the tombstone? What overall message should the reader take away from this poetry?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the philosophical passages in Ape and Essence are devoted to the nature of evil. According to Dr. Poole, what is the nature of evil? What is the nature of evil to the Arch Vicar? In each man's view, what is man's relationship to Belial/evil? Can man improve his station or somehow overcome evil eventually?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)