|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the novel, where are Dr. Poole and Loola headed?
2. How does the Arch Vicar respond when Dr. Poole expresses horror at the sight of blood at the sacrifice of the babies?
3. The Hots community has what relationship to the government of the primitives?
4. What is Loola threatened with when she objects to her assigned job?
5. How many laborers are assigned to Dr. Poole in his job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the moment in which Dr. Poole and Loola discover romantic feelings for one another, rather than lust.
2. What happens to young boys who show early signs of sexual aggression in the primitive community?
3. Does the Arch Vicar wish for Dr. Poole to join the church? Why or why not?
4. What is peculiar about the babies being prepared for the Purification Ceremonies?
5. What scientific reason does the script narrator give for the restrictive mating season of the primitives?
6. Describe the initial entrance of the Arch Vicar.
7. What is the Arch Vicar's explanation for why his people worship Belial, all the while acknowledging the being's evilness.
8. Provide the following characters' views on sex: the Arch Vicar, the Chief, and Dr. Poole.
9. What is the Arch Vicar's theory of history? What does this have to do with the "Order of Things"?
10. Describe the circumstances of Dr. Poole's rape.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sex versus romance creates tension in Ape and Essence. Explain how this tension is developed through the following situations:
a) The relationship between Dr. Poole and Loola.
b) The relationship between Dr. Poole and Miss Ethel Hook.
c) The Chief's sexual behavior versus the Arch Vicar's sexual behavior
d) The seasonal mating ritual of the primitives
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Huxley may have chosen to start Ape and Essence on the date of Gandhi's assassination. Explain Gandhi's historical significance. What kind of insight might an understanding of Gandhi's teaching have on some of the themes and messages of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character of William Tallis and the extent to which he is a surrogate or reflection of Huxley himself. Why is it important that he wrote the Ape and Essence screenplay? What is the significance of his gravestone, and the grave's location?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)