|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who orders all the mothers to the "place of shame"?
2. What do the Canterbury scientists ultimately decide to do about Dr. Poole?
3. According to the Arch Vicar, how do Men destroy themselves?
4. What job is given to Dr. Poole in the primitive community?
5. The Arch Vicar's church structure is named after which saint?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what occurs immediately preceding Dr. Poole's faint at the Purification Ceremonies.
2. Describe the final scene of the film involving William Tallis' gravestone.
3. What became of the Canterbury and its crew, ultimately?
4. Describe Dr. Poole's emotional state of mind after being ravished by the two mulatto girls.
5. How does the poetry of Percy Shelley contribute to the development of romance between Dr. Poole and Loola?
6. What is the Arch Vicar's theory of history? What does this have to do with the "Order of Things"?
7. How does the Arch Vicar defend his religion's practices with respect to Dr. Poole's own religion?
8. According to the Arch Vicar, did Belial need the atomic bomb to assure the destruction of mankind?
9. What restrictions are placed on mating in the primitive community? What happens to those who dare to disobey?
10. What effect has the Industrial Revolution had on humanity according to the Arch Vicar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much discussion is centered around the discovery of the truth and the nature of knowledge. What kind of theory of truth/knowledge does the novel put forth? How do the Arch Vicar and Dr. Poole differ about the nature of truth and knowledge? What is the consequence for an absence of truth?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the philosophical passages in Ape and Essence are devoted to the nature of evil. According to Dr. Poole, what is the nature of evil? What is the nature of evil to the Arch Vicar? In each man's view, what is man's relationship to Belial/evil? Can man improve his station or somehow overcome evil eventually?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of Science in Ape and Essence? How does science drive the plot? Character motivations? How does Huxley regard the pursuit of Science? Is science a danger as well as a potential boon? Explain.
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)