Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advantage does the Arch Vicar see for an unmutated male to join his church?
2. What job is assigned to Loola after her job review?
3. On what structure are the babies sacrificed?
4. What happens to sexually aggressive boys in the primitive community?
5. Where are the Arch Vicar's books kept?
Essay Topic 1
Sex versus romance creates tension in Ape and Essence. Explain how this tension is developed through the following situations:
a) The relationship between Dr. Poole and Loola.
b) The relationship between Dr. Poole and Miss Ethel Hook.
c) The Chief's sexual behavior versus the Arch Vicar's sexual behavior
d) The seasonal mating ritual of the primitives
Essay Topic 2
Much discussion is centered around the discovery of the truth and the nature of knowledge. What kind of theory of truth/knowledge does the novel put forth? How do the Arch Vicar and Dr. Poole differ about the nature of truth and knowledge? What is the consequence for an absence of truth?
Essay Topic 3
Ape and Essence presents a dystopic view of the future. What is a dystopia? What are the features of such a place? What specific aspects of Ape and Essence are dystopic? Why might an author depict such a dystopia?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)