|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which church member whips the mothers after the babies are sacrificed?
2. What do the Canterbury scientists ultimately decide to do about Dr. Poole?
3. Where do the Hots live?
4. What book does Dr. Poole read from while courting Loola?
5. Which of the following does the Arch Vicar NOT blame for world wars?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what occurs immediately preceding Dr. Poole's faint at the Purification Ceremonies.
2. What commentary does the script narrator offer about joy (as described in a poem by Shelley) and the possibility of joy in the ape-mind?
3. Describe the events in which Dr. Poole and Loola are assigned new jobs in the primitive community.
4. Describe the moment in which Dr. Poole and Loola discover romantic feelings for one another, rather than lust.
5. What happens to young boys who show early signs of sexual aggression in the primitive community?
6. How does the Arch Vicar defend his religion's practices with respect to Dr. Poole's own religion?
7. What restrictions are placed on mating in the primitive community? What happens to those who dare to disobey?
8. Does the Arch Vicar wish for Dr. Poole to join the church? Why or why not?
9. How is Loola finally swayed to run away with Dr. Poole?
10. How does the Arch Vicar find out about Dr. Poole's escape? How does he react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the steps involved in the Purification Ceremonies of Belial's Day. What is the goal of the Purification Ceremonies? What is the religious belief system behind the ceremonies?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the fictionalized world history put forth by Ape and Essence. How was the majority of mankind destroyed? Why was New Zealand spared? How does fear of war relate to the time period Huxley was writing in?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character of William Tallis and the extent to which he is a surrogate or reflection of Huxley himself. Why is it important that he wrote the Ape and Essence screenplay? What is the significance of his gravestone, and the grave's location?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)