|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did William Tallis die?
2. What injures Miss Ethel Hook when she goes to look for Dr. Poole?
3. What explanation does the Arch Vicar have for his community's restricted mating patterns?
4. What is the most obvious difference between Arch Vicar's community and the Hots?
5. Why is Loola afraid of entering into a romantic relationship with Dr. Poole?
Essay Topic 1
Ape and Essence presents a dystopic view of the future. What is a dystopia? What are the features of such a place? What specific aspects of Ape and Essence are dystopic? Why might an author depict such a dystopia?
Essay Topic 2
Much discussion is centered around the discovery of the truth and the nature of knowledge. What kind of theory of truth/knowledge does the novel put forth? How do the Arch Vicar and Dr. Poole differ about the nature of truth and knowledge? What is the consequence for an absence of truth?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the fictionalized world history put forth by Ape and Essence. How was the majority of mankind destroyed? Why was New Zealand spared? How does fear of war relate to the time period Huxley was writing in?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)