|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, truth without charity is not God but ___________.
2. Which is NOT part of the ceremony held to safeguard against having deformed babies?
3. Who orders Dr. Poole to be buried up to his waist by the gravediggers?
4. Why is Bob Briggs in financial trouble?
5. What does the Chief believe about the current level of discipline in the primitive community?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Chief concerned about the present mating season?
2. What is the New Zealand Rediscovery Expedition, and what is its mission?
3. Set the scene for the opening of the novel. What is happening? When?
4. Describe the moment involving a religious rite practiced by the Satanic Science Practitioner.
5. What background information is the narrator able to learn about William Tallis?
6. Describe the circumstances during which Dr. Poole is kidnapped.
7. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
8. How do Chief and Dr. Poole clash over books at Pershing Square?
9. Describe the first moment of commonality shared by Dr. Poole and Loola following the rite practiced by the Satanic Science Practitioner.
10. Why does the Chief order his gravediggers to bury Dr. Poole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of Science in Ape and Essence? How does science drive the plot? Character motivations? How does Huxley regard the pursuit of Science? Is science a danger as well as a potential boon? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Ape and Essence is structure with a narrative frame. Explain the nature of this narrative frame and what effect the "story-within-a-story" has on reader comprehension and interpretation of the events.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character of William Tallis and the extent to which he is a surrogate or reflection of Huxley himself. Why is it important that he wrote the Ape and Essence screenplay? What is the significance of his gravestone, and the grave's location?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)