|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the primitives mark women who have not produced a healthy baby during the season?
2. What is the youngest gravedigger tempted by, which he must resist?
3. Why is Bob Briggs in financial trouble?
4. Which scientist is leashed by a female baboon at the beginning of the screenplay?
5. Where is Cottonwood Ranch located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the final scene of the film involving William Tallis' gravestone.
2. Why was Gandhi killed according to the narrator?
3. Why are the gravediggers robbing graves?
4. What commentary does the script narrator offer about joy (as described in a poem by Shelley) and the possibility of joy in the ape-mind?
5. How do Chief and Dr. Poole clash over books at Pershing Square?
6. What scientific reason does the script narrator give for the restrictive mating season of the primitives?
7. How does the Arch Vicar defend his religion's practices with respect to Dr. Poole's own religion?
8. Describe what occurs immediately preceding Dr. Poole's faint at the Purification Ceremonies.
9. According to the Arch Vicar, did Belial need the atomic bomb to assure the destruction of mankind?
10. What is the importance of where Tallis preferred to be buried?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the steps involved in the Purification Ceremonies of Belial's Day. What is the goal of the Purification Ceremonies? What is the religious belief system behind the ceremonies?
Essay Topic 2
Explain some of the Arch Vicar's views? These would include:
a) theory of world history
b) theory of divinity and Belial
c) theory of demon possession
d) why his church is a positive influence
Essay Topic 3
Many of the philosophical passages in Ape and Essence are devoted to the nature of evil. According to Dr. Poole, what is the nature of evil? What is the nature of evil to the Arch Vicar? In each man's view, what is man's relationship to Belial/evil? Can man improve his station or somehow overcome evil eventually?
This section contains 1,547 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)