|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Coulton believe about how the narrator and William Tallis might have gotten along?
2. Which great fear does Loola confide to Dr. Poole when they first meet?
3. According to a chorus of youths, what is "the chief end of Man"?
4. What is the name of Bob Briggs' wife?
5. What part of "Ape and Essence" makes Bob decide to read the entire script?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Chief concerned about the present mating season?
2. What point does the script narrator make about baboons and knowledge?
3. What is the importance of where Tallis preferred to be buried?
4. What is the narrator's point about love and fear when describing the crew of the Canterbury?
5. What are the specifics of Bob Briggs' personal troubles at the outset of the novel?
6. What is Bob Briggs appraisal of Gandhi?
7. What is the New Zealand Rediscovery Expedition, and what is its mission?
8. Set the scene for the opening of the novel. What is happening? When?
9. How is Dr. Poole able to argue his way out of being buried alive?
10. What background information is the narrator able to learn about William Tallis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ape and Essence presents a dystopic view of the future. What is a dystopia? What are the features of such a place? What specific aspects of Ape and Essence are dystopic? Why might an author depict such a dystopia?
Essay Topic 2
How is organized religion depicted in Ape and Essence? Do you believe Huxley intends the Arch Vicar's religion to provide a characterization of all of organized religion? How might the Belial religion compare to modern Christian religion? Is organized religion another of society's ills in Huxley's view?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the philosophical passages in Ape and Essence are devoted to the nature of evil. According to Dr. Poole, what is the nature of evil? What is the nature of evil to the Arch Vicar? In each man's view, what is man's relationship to Belial/evil? Can man improve his station or somehow overcome evil eventually?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)