|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date do the explorer-scientists set out from New Zealand?
2. How are the books incinerated in the Chief's book-burning ceremony?
3. What is Loola's nickname for Dr. Poole?
4. Why is Chief concerned that no women produced healthy babies this season?
5. Why are the primitives unable to make clothes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Gandhi killed according to the narrator?
2. What are the specifics of Bob Briggs' personal troubles at the outset of the novel?
3. Describe the Chief's conception of "Democracy."
4. How is Dr. Poole described? What does Dr. Schneeglock think of him?
5. What background information is the narrator able to learn about William Tallis?
6. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
7. Why does the Chief order his gravediggers to bury Dr. Poole?
8. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
9. What is Bob Briggs appraisal of Gandhi?
10. Describe the circumstances during which Dr. Poole is kidnapped.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sex versus romance creates tension in Ape and Essence. Explain how this tension is developed through the following situations:
a) The relationship between Dr. Poole and Loola.
b) The relationship between Dr. Poole and Miss Ethel Hook.
c) The Chief's sexual behavior versus the Arch Vicar's sexual behavior
d) The seasonal mating ritual of the primitives
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship between Dr. Poole and Loola. Why are they compatible souls? What aspects of humanity do they share? Why is Loola different from the other primitives? What does Loola have that Miss Ethel Hook does not?
Essay Topic 3
Ape and Essence is structure with a narrative frame. Explain the nature of this narrative frame and what effect the "story-within-a-story" has on reader comprehension and interpretation of the events.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)