|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator characterize the scientists from New Zealand?
2. What destination have the team of scientists from New Zealand chosen?
3. Where is Cottonwood Ranch located?
4. How does Dr. Poole convince the gravediggers to spare him from being buried alive?
5. What does Dr. Schneeglock blame for Dr. Poole's lack of a fulfillment of his promise?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Chief and Dr. Poole clash over books at Pershing Square?
2. What is Bob Briggs appraisal of Gandhi?
3. Why does the Chief order his gravediggers to bury Dr. Poole?
4. What point does the script narrator make about baboons and knowledge?
5. Describe the first moment of commonality shared by Dr. Poole and Loola following the rite practiced by the Satanic Science Practitioner.
6. How does Bob Briggs help Rosie?
7. What is the narrator's point about love and fear when describing the crew of the Canterbury?
8. What are the Purification Ceremonies?
9. Describe the scene in which baboons are gathered at a palace.
10. What is the New Zealand Rediscovery Expedition, and what is its mission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain some of the Arch Vicar's views? These would include:
a) theory of world history
b) theory of divinity and Belial
c) theory of demon possession
d) why his church is a positive influence
Essay Topic 2
Many of the philosophical passages in Ape and Essence are devoted to the nature of evil. According to Dr. Poole, what is the nature of evil? What is the nature of evil to the Arch Vicar? In each man's view, what is man's relationship to Belial/evil? Can man improve his station or somehow overcome evil eventually?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Huxley may have chosen to start Ape and Essence on the date of Gandhi's assassination. Explain Gandhi's historical significance. What kind of insight might an understanding of Gandhi's teaching have on some of the themes and messages of the book?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)