|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which great fear does Loola confide to Dr. Poole when they first meet?
2. What is the subject of the song the female baboon sings?
3. What kind of primate represents the "least among man," according to the narrator?
4. Why was Dr. Poole buried up to his waist by the gravediggers?
5. On which deity do the primitives blame their problems?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the New Zealand Rediscovery Expedition, and what is its mission?
2. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
3. Describe the landing of the Canterbury and the crew's first sight of land.
4. Describe the Chief's conception of "Democracy."
5. How does Bob Briggs help Rosie?
6. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
7. Why was Gandhi killed according to the narrator?
8. What is the narrator's point about love and fear when describing the crew of the Canterbury?
9. Why does the Chief order his gravediggers to bury Dr. Poole?
10. Set the scene for the opening of the novel. What is happening? When?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sex versus romance creates tension in Ape and Essence. Explain how this tension is developed through the following situations:
a) The relationship between Dr. Poole and Loola.
b) The relationship between Dr. Poole and Miss Ethel Hook.
c) The Chief's sexual behavior versus the Arch Vicar's sexual behavior
d) The seasonal mating ritual of the primitives
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Hots Community. What are their beliefs? How were they formed? What is their culture like? Why does Dr. Poole wish to flee to this community?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Huxley may have chosen to start Ape and Essence on the date of Gandhi's assassination. Explain Gandhi's historical significance. What kind of insight might an understanding of Gandhi's teaching have on some of the themes and messages of the book?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)