Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the primitives mark women who have not produced a healthy baby during the season?
2. What is the youngest gravedigger tempted by, which he must resist?
3. Why is Bob Briggs in financial trouble?
4. Which scientist is leashed by a female baboon at the beginning of the screenplay?
5. Where is Cottonwood Ranch located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the final scene of the film involving William Tallis' gravestone.
2. Why was Gandhi killed according to the narrator?
3. Why are the gravediggers robbing graves?
4. What commentary does the script narrator offer about joy (as described in a poem by Shelley) and the possibility of joy in the ape-mind?
5. How do Chief and Dr. Poole clash over books at Pershing Square?
6. What scientific reason does the script narrator give for the restrictive mating season of the primitives?
7. How does the Arch Vicar defend his religion's practices with respect to Dr. Poole's own religion?
8. Describe what occurs immediately preceding Dr. Poole's faint at the Purification Ceremonies.
9. According to the Arch Vicar, did Belial need the atomic bomb to assure the destruction of mankind?
10. What is the importance of where Tallis preferred to be buried?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Hots Community. What are their beliefs? How were they formed? What is their culture like? Why does Dr. Poole wish to flee to this community?
Essay Topic 2
Similar to Huxley's own Brave New World, Ape and Essence is concerned with the danger of totalitarian states. Explain how Huxley makes this fear manifest and how world events in Huxley's life encouraged Huxley to pursue cautionary tales about totalitarianism.
Essay Topic 3
Sex versus romance creates tension in Ape and Essence. Explain how this tension is developed through the following situations:
a) The relationship between Dr. Poole and Loola.
b) The relationship between Dr. Poole and Miss Ethel Hook.
c) The Chief's sexual behavior versus the Arch Vicar's sexual behavior
d) The seasonal mating ritual of the primitives
This section contains 1,547 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)