|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At which location is Chief presented with a necklace made of bones?
2. What is the name for the team of scientists at the heart of Ape and Essence?
3. On which street corner does Chief order books to be incinerated?
4. In the beginning of the screenplay, baboons have gathered in what place?
5. Where do the narrator and Bob Briggs meet at the outset of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Purification Ceremonies?
2. What about Dr. Poole's presence is surprising to Chief?
3. Describe the opening of the movie "Ape and Essence."
4. How do Chief and Dr. Poole clash over books at Pershing Square?
5. Describe the landing of the Canterbury and the crew's first sight of land.
6. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
7. What is the importance of where Tallis preferred to be buried?
8. Why are the gravediggers robbing graves?
9. What point does the script narrator make about baboons and knowledge?
10. Describe the moment involving a religious rite practiced by the Satanic Science Practitioner.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship between Dr. Poole and Loola. Why are they compatible souls? What aspects of humanity do they share? Why is Loola different from the other primitives? What does Loola have that Miss Ethel Hook does not?
Essay Topic 2
Allusions are a frequent presence in Ape and Essence. Choose four literary allusions and explain their significance and meaning.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Huxley may have chosen to start Ape and Essence on the date of Gandhi's assassination. Explain Gandhi's historical significance. What kind of insight might an understanding of Gandhi's teaching have on some of the themes and messages of the book?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)