|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What became of William Tallis' second wife?
2. Why is Bob Briggs in financial trouble?
3. Why does Dr. Poole claim he cannot fix the Chief's train?
4. In the beginning of the screenplay, baboons have gathered in what place?
5. What ritual is held among the primitives as a protection against deformed babies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bob Briggs help Rosie?
2. Why does the Chief order his gravediggers to bury Dr. Poole?
3. Describe the first moment of commonality shared by Dr. Poole and Loola following the rite practiced by the Satanic Science Practitioner.
4. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
5. What are the Purification Ceremonies?
6. What point does the script narrator make about baboons and knowledge?
7. Describe the circumstances during which Dr. Poole is kidnapped.
8. What background information is the narrator able to learn about William Tallis?
9. What about Dr. Poole's presence is surprising to Chief?
10. Set the scene for the opening of the novel. What is happening? When?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Allusions are a frequent presence in Ape and Essence. Choose four literary allusions and explain their significance and meaning.
Essay Topic 2
Similar to Huxley's own Brave New World, Ape and Essence is concerned with the danger of totalitarian states. Explain how Huxley makes this fear manifest and how world events in Huxley's life encouraged Huxley to pursue cautionary tales about totalitarianism.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Hots Community. What are their beliefs? How were they formed? What is their culture like? Why does Dr. Poole wish to flee to this community?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)