|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The primitives' religious leader presses a young woman about what matter, eventually beating her?
2. What is Rosie's career aspiration?
3. What destination have the team of scientists from New Zealand chosen?
4. How does Dr. Poole convince the gravediggers to spare him from being buried alive?
5. Why did William Tallis write "Ape and Essence"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the landing of the Canterbury and the crew's first sight of land.
2. What is the narrator's point about love and fear when describing the crew of the Canterbury?
3. What are the specifics of Bob Briggs' personal troubles at the outset of the novel?
4. What are the Purification Ceremonies?
5. What is the New Zealand Rediscovery Expedition, and what is its mission?
6. Why was Gandhi killed according to the narrator?
7. How do Bob Briggs and the narrator initially become interested in "Ape and Essence"?
8. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
9. Why does the Chief order his gravediggers to bury Dr. Poole?
10. How does Bob Briggs help Rosie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ape and Essence is structure with a narrative frame. Explain the nature of this narrative frame and what effect the "story-within-a-story" has on reader comprehension and interpretation of the events.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the philosophical passages in Ape and Essence are devoted to the nature of evil. According to Dr. Poole, what is the nature of evil? What is the nature of evil to the Arch Vicar? In each man's view, what is man's relationship to Belial/evil? Can man improve his station or somehow overcome evil eventually?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character of William Tallis and the extent to which he is a surrogate or reflection of Huxley himself. Why is it important that he wrote the Ape and Essence screenplay? What is the significance of his gravestone, and the grave's location?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)