Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the primitives mark women who have not produced a healthy baby during the season?
2. What is the youngest gravedigger tempted by, which he must resist?
3. Why is Bob Briggs in financial trouble?
4. Which scientist is leashed by a female baboon at the beginning of the screenplay?
5. Where is Cottonwood Ranch located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the final scene of the film involving William Tallis' gravestone.
2. Why was Gandhi killed according to the narrator?
3. Why are the gravediggers robbing graves?
4. What commentary does the script narrator offer about joy (as described in a poem by Shelley) and the possibility of joy in the ape-mind?
5. How do Chief and Dr. Poole clash over books at Pershing Square?
6. What scientific reason does the script narrator give for the restrictive mating season of the primitives?
7. How does the Arch Vicar defend his religion's practices with respect to Dr. Poole's own religion?
8. Describe what occurs immediately preceding Dr. Poole's faint at the Purification Ceremonies.
9. According to the Arch Vicar, did Belial need the atomic bomb to assure the destruction of mankind?
10. What is the importance of where Tallis preferred to be buried?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the fictionalized world history put forth by Ape and Essence. How was the majority of mankind destroyed? Why was New Zealand spared? How does fear of war relate to the time period Huxley was writing in?
Essay Topic 2
Allusions are a frequent presence in Ape and Essence. Choose four literary allusions and explain their significance and meaning.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the back story and plot points of the script "Ape and Essence" reveal the author's own fears about the threat of nuclear war and annihilation.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)