|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What destination have the team of scientists from New Zealand chosen?
2. Bob fears Elaine is cheating on him with which man?
3. What does Mrs. Coulton believe about how the narrator and William Tallis might have gotten along?
4. What surprises Chief about Dr. Poole's admission that he arrived on a boat?
5. What part of "Ape and Essence" makes Bob decide to read the entire script?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bob Briggs appraisal of Gandhi?
2. Why does the Chief order his gravediggers to bury Dr. Poole?
3. How do Bob Briggs and the narrator initially become interested in "Ape and Essence"?
4. Describe the opening of the movie "Ape and Essence."
5. What are the specifics of Bob Briggs' personal troubles at the outset of the novel?
6. Why is the Chief concerned about the present mating season?
7. Why was Gandhi killed according to the narrator?
8. How is Dr. Poole able to argue his way out of being buried alive?
9. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
10. Describe the landing of the Canterbury and the crew's first sight of land.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain some of the Arch Vicar's views? These would include:
a) theory of world history
b) theory of divinity and Belial
c) theory of demon possession
d) why his church is a positive influence
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character of William Tallis and the extent to which he is a surrogate or reflection of Huxley himself. Why is it important that he wrote the Ape and Essence screenplay? What is the significance of his gravestone, and the grave's location?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of Science in Ape and Essence? How does science drive the plot? Character motivations? How does Huxley regard the pursuit of Science? Is science a danger as well as a potential boon? Explain.
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)