|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chief figure declares that he is operating under what type of government?
2. What is the first thing to appear in the "Ape and Essence" screenplay?
3. What does the Chief believe about the current level of discipline in the primitive community?
4. What is Miss Ethel Hook's desire, with respect to Dr. Poole?
5. What is the leashed scientist beaten with by the female baboon holding him?
Short Essay Questions
1. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
2. Describe the circumstances during which Dr. Poole is kidnapped.
3. What about Dr. Poole's presence is surprising to Chief?
4. Why is the Chief concerned about the present mating season?
5. What is the narrator's point about love and fear when describing the crew of the Canterbury?
6. Describe the scene in which baboons are gathered at a palace.
7. What are the specifics of Bob Briggs' personal troubles at the outset of the novel?
8. What background information is the narrator able to learn about William Tallis?
9. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
10. What is Bob Briggs appraisal of Gandhi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sex versus romance creates tension in Ape and Essence. Explain how this tension is developed through the following situations:
a) The relationship between Dr. Poole and Loola.
b) The relationship between Dr. Poole and Miss Ethel Hook.
c) The Chief's sexual behavior versus the Arch Vicar's sexual behavior
d) The seasonal mating ritual of the primitives
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of Science in Ape and Essence? How does science drive the plot? Character motivations? How does Huxley regard the pursuit of Science? Is science a danger as well as a potential boon? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What role does surrealism play in Ape and Essence? Identify and explain three surrealistic elements. What effect does the use of surrealism have on the comprehension of the reader?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)