|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is living on Tallis' Cottonwood Ranch when it is visited by the filmmaker(s)?
2. The primitives' religious leader presses a young woman about what matter, eventually beating her?
3. In the human condition, what does fear NOT cast out, according to the narrator?
4. Which of the following is true about the scientists' rediscovery of the world?
5. How do the primitives mark women who have not produced a healthy baby during the season?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Chief order his gravediggers to bury Dr. Poole?
2. How is Dr. Poole described? What does Dr. Schneeglock think of him?
3. Describe the first moment of commonality shared by Dr. Poole and Loola following the rite practiced by the Satanic Science Practitioner.
4. What are the specifics of Bob Briggs' personal troubles at the outset of the novel?
5. What background information is the narrator able to learn about William Tallis?
6. Describe the landing of the Canterbury and the crew's first sight of land.
7. What does Bob Briggs ask Lou Lublin for, and why? How does this relate to a religious painting?
8. Why are the gravediggers robbing graves?
9. Why was Gandhi killed according to the narrator?
10. How do Chief and Dr. Poole clash over books at Pershing Square?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does surrealism play in Ape and Essence? Identify and explain three surrealistic elements. What effect does the use of surrealism have on the comprehension of the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the back story and plot points of the script "Ape and Essence" reveal the author's own fears about the threat of nuclear war and annihilation.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Huxley may have chosen to start Ape and Essence on the date of Gandhi's assassination. Explain Gandhi's historical significance. What kind of insight might an understanding of Gandhi's teaching have on some of the themes and messages of the book?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)