|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the narrator and Bob Briggs meet at the outset of the novel?
2. Why was Dr. Poole buried up to his waist by the gravediggers?
3. Why is Bob Briggs in financial trouble?
4. Bob fears Elaine is cheating on him with which man?
5. According to a chorus of youths, what is "the chief end of Man"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bob Briggs ask Lou Lublin for, and why? How does this relate to a religious painting?
2. How does Bob Briggs help Rosie?
3. Describe the landing of the Canterbury and the crew's first sight of land.
4. Describe the Chief's conception of "Democracy."
5. What are the specifics of Bob Briggs' personal troubles at the outset of the novel?
6. Set the scene for the opening of the novel. What is happening? When?
7. Why does the Chief order his gravediggers to bury Dr. Poole?
8. What point does the script narrator make about baboons and knowledge?
9. Describe the first moment of commonality shared by Dr. Poole and Loola following the rite practiced by the Satanic Science Practitioner.
10. Describe the circumstances during which Dr. Poole is kidnapped.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Hots Community. What are their beliefs? How were they formed? What is their culture like? Why does Dr. Poole wish to flee to this community?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Huxley may have chosen to start Ape and Essence on the date of Gandhi's assassination. Explain Gandhi's historical significance. What kind of insight might an understanding of Gandhi's teaching have on some of the themes and messages of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What role does surrealism play in Ape and Essence? Identify and explain three surrealistic elements. What effect does the use of surrealism have on the comprehension of the reader?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)