|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ritual is held among the primitives as a protection against deformed babies?
2. Where do the narrator and Bob Briggs meet at the outset of the novel?
3. Who is living on Tallis' Cottonwood Ranch when it is visited by the filmmaker(s)?
4. William Tallis died from ___________.
5. Why was Dr. Poole buried up to his waist by the gravediggers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the gravediggers robbing graves?
2. How do Chief and Dr. Poole clash over books at Pershing Square?
3. What does Bob Briggs ask Lou Lublin for, and why? How does this relate to a religious painting?
4. Describe the circumstances during which Dr. Poole is kidnapped.
5. What background information is the narrator able to learn about William Tallis?
6. Why was Gandhi killed according to the narrator?
7. How is Dr. Poole able to argue his way out of being buried alive?
8. What is the importance of where Tallis preferred to be buried?
9. Describe the Chief's conception of "Democracy."
10. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the philosophical passages in Ape and Essence are devoted to the nature of evil. According to Dr. Poole, what is the nature of evil? What is the nature of evil to the Arch Vicar? In each man's view, what is man's relationship to Belial/evil? Can man improve his station or somehow overcome evil eventually?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Hots Community. What are their beliefs? How were they formed? What is their culture like? Why does Dr. Poole wish to flee to this community?
Essay Topic 3
Ape and Essence is structure with a narrative frame. Explain the nature of this narrative frame and what effect the "story-within-a-story" has on reader comprehension and interpretation of the events.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)