|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides to drive to Cottonwood Ranch to find William Tallis?
2. What kind of primate represents the "least among man," according to the narrator?
3. Why does Dr. Poole claim he cannot fix the Chief's train?
4. The Chief figure declares that he is operating under what type of government?
5. The narrator compares the beauty of the first image on screen in "Ape and Essence" to a poem by which poet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the specifics of Bob Briggs' personal troubles at the outset of the novel?
2. How do Bob Briggs and the narrator initially become interested in "Ape and Essence"?
3. Describe the opening of the movie "Ape and Essence."
4. How is Dr. Poole able to argue his way out of being buried alive?
5. Why is the Chief concerned about the present mating season?
6. What is the importance of where Tallis preferred to be buried?
7. What background information is the narrator able to learn about William Tallis?
8. What is the narrator's point about love and fear when describing the crew of the Canterbury?
9. How does Bob Briggs help Rosie?
10. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sex versus romance creates tension in Ape and Essence. Explain how this tension is developed through the following situations:
a) The relationship between Dr. Poole and Loola.
b) The relationship between Dr. Poole and Miss Ethel Hook.
c) The Chief's sexual behavior versus the Arch Vicar's sexual behavior
d) The seasonal mating ritual of the primitives
Essay Topic 2
Many of the philosophical passages in Ape and Essence are devoted to the nature of evil. According to Dr. Poole, what is the nature of evil? What is the nature of evil to the Arch Vicar? In each man's view, what is man's relationship to Belial/evil? Can man improve his station or somehow overcome evil eventually?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between Dr. Poole and Loola. Why are they compatible souls? What aspects of humanity do they share? Why is Loola different from the other primitives? What does Loola have that Miss Ethel Hook does not?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)