|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose tombstone do Dr. Poole and Loola discover in the desert?
(a) Jefferson Thorpe.
(c) William Tallis.
(d) An unknown soldier.
2. What explanation does the Arch Vicar have for his community's restricted mating patterns?
(a) It is the Law of Belial.
(b) It is necessary for survival.
(c) It is due to excessive gamma radiation.
(d) It is due to the powerful influence of the Hots community.
3. What is the result of Dr. Poole and Loola's discussion in a car garage toward the end of the novel?
(a) They agree to run away together.
(b) They agree they must stay, but they make plans to shepherd their child to the Hots community.
(c) They agree to stay in the primitive community, but try to change its laws and customs.
(d) They agree Dr. Poole must flee north, but Loola must stay.
4. Why is Loola afraid of entering into a romantic relationship with Dr. Poole?
(a) They will probably have a deformed baby.
(b) It is against the law.
(c) He is a foreigner, and foreigners are evil and not to be trusted.
(d) He is always joking and never takes anything seriously, which annoys her.
5. What is Polly's perspective on her deformed baby?
(a) Polly hates the child, and feels it has earned its fate.
(b) Polly loves the child and does not want to see him killed.
(c) Polly is indifferent to the child, and is not present for its sacrifice.
(d) Polly loves the child, but is willing to sacrifice it for the greater good.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who "ravishes" Dr. Poole during mating season?
2. With respect to the strange behavior of the primitives, Dr. Poole experiences a change from which state to which state?
3. How many books has the Arch Vicar managed to save from destruction?
4. What does the congregation chant as the babies are sacrificed?
5. In his conversation with Dr. Poole, the Arch Vicar shows himself to be an expert in which field?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is peculiar about the babies being prepared for the Purification Ceremonies?
2. What effect has the Industrial Revolution had on humanity according to the Arch Vicar?
3. Describe what occurs immediately preceding Dr. Poole's faint at the Purification Ceremonies.
4. What scientific reason does the script narrator give for the restrictive mating season of the primitives?
5. How does the Arch Vicar find out about Dr. Poole's escape? How does he react?
6. What is the Arch Vicar's stance on the reality of demonic possession?
7. What discussion do the Chief, Arch Vicar, and Dr. Poole have concerning food production?
8. What became of the Canterbury and its crew, ultimately?
9. Describe Dr. Poole's emotional state of mind after being ravished by the two mulatto girls.
10. Describe the initial entrance of the Arch Vicar.
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)