|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Loola's initial perspective on her night of sex with Dr. Poole?
(a) She loves him desperately.
(b) Given her cultural background, she is entirely indifferent.
(c) He was a terrible lover.
(d) He was more fun than her other partners.
2. For about how long does Dr. Poole work on the assignment given to him by the primitive community?
(a) Four years.
(b) Four days.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) Six weeks.
3. When workers arrive to be assigned jobs for the year, what article of clothing are they given?
(a) Swimming trunks.
4. What is Loola threatened with when she objects to her assigned job?
(a) Death by hanging.
(b) Twenty-five lashes.
(c) The isolation chamber.
5. What is the Arch Vicar's opinion of the Industrial Revolution?
(a) Technology paradoxically allows Man to become closer with nature.
(b) Through technology, Man lost touch with reality.
(c) It resulted in key advances they enjoy even today.
(d) It represented the apex of civilization.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the babies sacrificed to appease the Devil?
2. Who "ravishes" Dr. Poole during mating season?
3. In what year did William Tallis die?
4. The Hots community has what relationship to the government of the primitives?
5. What does the Arch Vicar call the calamity of World War that destroyed most of the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Arch Vicar find out about Dr. Poole's escape? How does he react?
2. What is the Arch Vicar's theory of history? What does this have to do with the "Order of Things"?
3. According to the Arch Vicar, did Belial need the atomic bomb to assure the destruction of mankind?
4. What discussion do the Chief, Arch Vicar, and Dr. Poole have concerning food production?
5. What difference does the narrator make between conscience and customs?
6. Describe the moment in which Dr. Poole and Loola discover romantic feelings for one another, rather than lust.
7. How is Loola finally swayed to run away with Dr. Poole?
8. Describe the events in which Dr. Poole and Loola are assigned new jobs in the primitive community.
9. Describe what occurs immediately preceding Dr. Poole's faint at the Purification Ceremonies.
10. Describe the final scene of the film involving William Tallis' gravestone.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)