|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name for the innermost chamber where the Arch Vicar resides?
(a) The Unholy of Unholies.
(b) Belial's Den.
(c) Cocktail Lounge.
(d) The High Altar.
2. How many books has the Arch Vicar managed to save from destruction?
(c) 3000 - 4000.
3. How can Dr. Poole's emotions at seeing the mating rituals be best described?
(a) Scientifically curious.
(d) Excited, yet revolted.
4. The Arch Vicar's church structure is named after which saint?
(a) St. Peter.
(b) St. Azazel.
(c) St. Michael.
(d) St. Jerome.
5. Who "ravishes" Dr. Poole during mating season?
(a) Two Postulants.
(c) Two young mulatto girls.
Short Answer Questions
1. When evil destroys itself, what notion returns back to humanity?
2. Whose tombstone do Dr. Poole and Loola discover in the desert?
3. Who stands guard over Dr. Poole during the mating rituals to ensure he does not escape?
4. What injures Dr. Cudworth when he goes to look for Dr. Poole?
5. What emotion best describes Dr. Poole's state of mind after the mating rituals?
Short Essay Questions
1. What commentary does the script narrator offer about joy (as described in a poem by Shelley) and the possibility of joy in the ape-mind?
2. What is the Arch Vicar's explanation for why his people worship Belial, all the while acknowledging the being's evilness.
3. Describe what occurs immediately preceding Dr. Poole's faint at the Purification Ceremonies.
4. How does the poetry of Percy Shelley contribute to the development of romance between Dr. Poole and Loola?
5. Does the Arch Vicar wish for Dr. Poole to join the church? Why or why not?
6. What difference does the narrator make between conscience and customs?
7. What is the Arch Vicar's theory of history? What does this have to do with the "Order of Things"?
8. How is Loola finally swayed to run away with Dr. Poole?
9. What discussion do the Chief, Arch Vicar, and Dr. Poole have concerning food production?
10. Describe the final scene of the film involving William Tallis' gravestone.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)