|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Arch Vicar, how do Men destroy themselves?
(a) By sacrificing deformed babies.
(b) By destroying their environment.
(c) By using drugs.
(d) By impregnating women.
2. What is NOT given to Dr. Poole when he is assigned a job?
(a) A laboratory.
(b) Several laborers.
(c) A plot of land.
(d) Loola for his assistant.
3. What is the name for the innermost chamber where the Arch Vicar resides?
(a) The Unholy of Unholies.
(b) Belial's Den.
(c) The High Altar.
(d) Cocktail Lounge.
4. When Loola is assigned to her new job, at which location does she work?
(a) The Los Angeles Coliseum.
(b) Silver Ore Mine.
(c) The lab of the Director of Food Production.
(d) Hollywood cemetery.
5. Which desert do Dr. Poole and Loola cross to escape the primitive community?
(a) The Arizona Desert.
(b) The Arabian Desert.
(c) Death Valley.
(d) The Mojave Desert.
Short Answer Questions
1. Loola notes that Dr. Poole is different from the primitive men in what way?
2. At the end of the novel, where are Dr. Poole and Loola headed?
3. What emotion best describes Dr. Poole's state of mind after the mating rituals?
4. Which, according to the script's narrator, is not one of the "fruits of the ape-mind"?
5. As Dr. Poole and Loola have sex, what is the Arch Vicar doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
2. Provide the following characters' views on sex: the Arch Vicar, the Chief, and Dr. Poole.
3. What difference does the narrator make between conscience and customs?
4. What restrictions are placed on mating in the primitive community? What happens to those who dare to disobey?
5. According to the Arch Vicar, did Belial need the atomic bomb to assure the destruction of mankind?
6. What is peculiar about the babies being prepared for the Purification Ceremonies?
7. Describe what occurs immediately preceding Dr. Poole's faint at the Purification Ceremonies.
8. How does the Arch Vicar find out about Dr. Poole's escape? How does he react?
9. Describe the circumstances of Dr. Poole's rape.
10. Describe the initial entrance of the Arch Vicar.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)