|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Dr. Poole read from while courting Loola?
(a) The Bible.
(b) A book of Shelley's poetry.
(c) William Tallis' Ape and Essence.
(d) Shakespeare's love sonnets.
2. Where do Dr. Poole and Loola first have sex?
(a) In the field.
(b) In the Unholy of Holies.
(c) In Dr. Poole's laboratory.
(d) In the Hollywood cemetery.
3. The Arch Vicar's church structure is named after which saint?
(a) St. Michael.
(b) St. Jerome.
(c) St. Azazel.
(d) St. Peter.
4. Who assigns jobs in the primitive community?
(a) The Satanic Science Practitioner.
(b) The Grand Inquisitor's Chief Assistant.
(c) The Patriarch of Pasadena.
(d) The Postulant.
5. What does the Arch Vicar tell Dr. Poole about his scientist friends?
(a) They were wounded trying to find him, and there will be no rescue.
(b) They were malnourished and fell to a pack of wolves.
(c) They are all dead from gamma radiation.
(d) They are coming for him now, and he must make a choice as to where to go.
Short Answer Questions
1. For about how long does Dr. Poole work on the assignment given to him by the primitive community?
2. In what year was William Tallis born?
3. According to the Arch Vicar, how do Men destroy themselves?
4. When workers arrive to be assigned jobs for the year, what article of clothing are they given?
5. What happens to sexually aggressive boys in the primitive community?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Arch Vicar defend his religion's practices with respect to Dr. Poole's own religion?
2. Describe the final scene of the film involving William Tallis' gravestone.
3. What is the Arch Vicar's theory of history? What does this have to do with the "Order of Things"?
4. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
5. Describe what occurs immediately preceding Dr. Poole's faint at the Purification Ceremonies.
6. According to the Arch Vicar, did Belial need the atomic bomb to assure the destruction of mankind?
7. What scientific reason does the script narrator give for the restrictive mating season of the primitives?
8. Describe the initial entrance of the Arch Vicar.
9. What difference does the narrator make between conscience and customs?
10. What is the Arch Vicar's explanation for why his people worship Belial, all the while acknowledging the being's evilness.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)