|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Loola is assigned to her new job, who acts as a comforting friend and confidante?
(b) The Chief Assistant to the Grand Inquisitor.
(c) Dr. Poole.
2. What is NOT given to Dr. Poole when he is assigned a job?
(a) A laboratory.
(b) Loola for his assistant.
(c) A plot of land.
(d) Several laborers.
3. Which desert do Dr. Poole and Loola cross to escape the primitive community?
(a) The Arabian Desert.
(b) The Mojave Desert.
(c) Death Valley.
(d) The Arizona Desert.
4. What is the Chief's perspective on sexual intercourse?
(a) He enjoys it on a regular basis.
(b) He feels no emotion from sexual intercourse.
(c) He only participates in sex for procreation.
(d) It is revolting.
5. Whose tombstone do Dr. Poole and Loola discover in the desert?
(b) An unknown soldier.
(c) Jefferson Thorpe.
(d) William Tallis.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the novel, where are Dr. Poole and Loola headed?
2. What emotion best describes Dr. Poole's state of mind after the mating rituals?
3. How long does Dr. Poole feel proper food production will take in the primitive community?
4. Why is Loola afraid of entering into a romantic relationship with Dr. Poole?
5. Who "ravishes" Dr. Poole during mating season?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the poetry of Percy Shelley contribute to the development of romance between Dr. Poole and Loola?
2. What commentary does the script narrator offer about joy (as described in a poem by Shelley) and the possibility of joy in the ape-mind?
3. What happens to young boys who show early signs of sexual aggression in the primitive community?
4. Why does Loola feel that Dr. Poole is different from other men she has known?
5. What is Dr. Poole's reasoning for why Belial can never win in his battle against mankind?
6. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
7. What is peculiar about the babies being prepared for the Purification Ceremonies?
8. Describe Dr. Poole's emotional state of mind after being ravished by the two mulatto girls.
9. Does the Arch Vicar wish for Dr. Poole to join the church? Why or why not?
10. What effect has the Industrial Revolution had on humanity according to the Arch Vicar?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)