|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dr. Poole convince the gravediggers to spare him from being buried alive?
(a) He offers to teach them to grow better crops.
(b) He offers to fix their train.
(c) He gives them several pieces of jewelry.
(d) He offers to give his boat to them.
2. What does Dr. Schneeglock blame for Dr. Poole's lack of a fulfillment of his promise?
(a) Dr. Poole's mother died when he was only a baby.
(b) Dr. Poole still lives with his mother.
(c) Dr. Poole is a gambler with significant debts.
(d) Dr. Poole is promiscuous and cannot stay with one woman.
3. Which book does Dr. Poole save from the book burning ordered by the Chief?
(a) Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities.
(b) A collection of letters and personal essays by Marcel Proust.
(c) A volume of Shelley's poetry.
(d) The Complete Works of William Shakespeare.
4. What part of "Ape and Essence" makes Bob decide to read the entire script?
(a) Its glossy title page.
(b) The fact that it is in pristine, unopened condition.
(c) Its professional hole punches and brads.
(d) Its opening poetry.
5. William Tallis died from ___________.
(a) A botched surgery.
(b) Cancer of the throat.
(c) A heart attack.
(d) A hit-and-run car accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Bob owe the government in back taxes?
2. The novel begins on what important day?
3. What derogatory name do primitive men call the primitive women who bear deformed babies?
4. What is the name of Loola's friend who recently gave birth to a deformed baby?
5. Where does the granddaughter of William Tallis live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bob Briggs help Rosie?
2. What is Bob Briggs appraisal of Gandhi?
3. Describe the moment involving a religious rite practiced by the Satanic Science Practitioner.
4. What is the New Zealand Rediscovery Expedition, and what is its mission?
5. What is the importance of where Tallis preferred to be buried?
6. How is Dr. Poole described? What does Dr. Schneeglock think of him?
7. How do Bob Briggs and the narrator initially become interested in "Ape and Essence"?
8. Why are the gravediggers robbing graves?
9. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
10. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)