|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of the screenplay, the narrator warns that "all too often" Art takes Nature and __________.
(a) Crafts only the wicked.
(b) Denies all but the lowest organisms.
(c) Produces only the sublime.
(d) Manufactures only the ludicrous.
2. How much does Bob owe the government in back taxes?
3. What is the first thing to appear in the "Ape and Essence" screenplay?
(a) A gathering of baboons.
(b) The ship called the Canterbury.
(c) The name of the producer.
(d) The title.
4. Why was New Zealand spared from the destruction that ravaged the rest of the planet?
(a) Because of raging sea storms, it was not accessible to aggressors.
(b) It built great bunkers that protected its people.
(c) It was not deemed to be of any important military value.
(d) Its leaders engaged in clever diplomacy.
5. The narrator compares the beauty of the first image on screen in "Ape and Essence" to a poem by which poet?
(a) Robert Frost.
(b) Ella Wheeler Wilcox.
(c) W.B. Yeats.
(d) Percy Shelley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the leashed scientist beaten with by the female baboon holding him?
2. What is Rosie's career aspiration?
3. What derogatory name do primitive men call the primitive women who bear deformed babies?
4. Where did William Tallis prefer to be buried?
5. How do the primitives explain the men's propensity to hit women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first moment of commonality shared by Dr. Poole and Loola following the rite practiced by the Satanic Science Practitioner.
2. Describe the circumstances during which Dr. Poole is kidnapped.
3. How do Chief and Dr. Poole clash over books at Pershing Square?
4. Why are the gravediggers robbing graves?
5. What is the narrator's point about love and fear when describing the crew of the Canterbury?
6. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
7. What point does the script narrator make about baboons and knowledge?
8. Describe the opening of the movie "Ape and Essence."
9. What is the New Zealand Rediscovery Expedition, and what is its mission?
10. How does Bob Briggs help Rosie?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)