|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Loola's friend who recently gave birth to a deformed baby?
2. Near which major city do the scientists finally land?
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) San Francisco.
3. What does Dr. Poole tell Chief about why New Zealand was spared in the World War?
(a) Dr. Poole lies and states that most of New Zealand was destroyed.
(b) Dr. Poole refuses to admit he is from New Zealand.
(c) Its citizens created a magical forcefield.
(d) The country was deemed to not be of strategic value.
4. What is the first thing to appear in the "Ape and Essence" screenplay?
(a) A gathering of baboons.
(b) The title.
(c) The ship called the Canterbury.
(d) The name of the producer.
5. Who was NOT among the team of scientists from New Zealand?
(a) Dr. Canterbury.
(b) Professor Grampian.
(c) Dr. Cudworth.
(d) Miss Ethel Hook.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the foundation of modern life to the narrator?
2. Which great fear does Loola confide to Dr. Poole when they first meet?
3. Where does the granddaughter of William Tallis live?
4. What derogatory name do primitive men call the primitive women who bear deformed babies?
5. What is Loola's nickname for Dr. Poole?
Short Essay Questions
1. Set the scene for the opening of the novel. What is happening? When?
2. What is the New Zealand Rediscovery Expedition, and what is its mission?
3. Describe the landing of the Canterbury and the crew's first sight of land.
4. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
5. Describe the moment involving a religious rite practiced by the Satanic Science Practitioner.
6. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
7. What does Bob Briggs ask Lou Lublin for, and why? How does this relate to a religious painting?
8. Why are the gravediggers robbing graves?
9. What is Bob Briggs appraisal of Gandhi?
10. What are the Purification Ceremonies?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)