|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Chief able to keep a tight rein on Dr. Poole after meeting him?
(a) Dr. Poole is strapped to a table which is carried around.
(b) Dr. Poole is administered an intoxicating drug.
(c) Dr. Poole is handcuffed.
(d) Dr. Poole's kneecaps are broken.
2. Why was Dr. Poole buried up to his waist by the gravediggers?
(a) He refused to fix the Chief's train.
(b) He used a swear word in front of the Chief.
(c) He came on a boat, which the gravediggers consider evil.
(d) He punched a gravedigger trying to escape.
3. What ritual is held among the primitives as a protection against deformed babies?
(b) The Devil's Dance.
(c) Belial's Feast.
(d) The Purification Ceremonies.
4. What does the Chief believe about the current level of discipline in the primitive community?
(a) He does not believe in the harsh discipline exacted by the religious leaders.
(b) He believes the community lacks proper discipline.
(c) As he delivers discipline himself, he is quite pleased with the level of discipline.
(d) He believes people should be more free to pursue their own interests.
5. What part of "Ape and Essence" makes Bob decide to read the entire script?
(a) Its opening poetry.
(b) The fact that it is in pristine, unopened condition.
(c) Its glossy title page.
(d) Its professional hole punches and brads.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group of artists does Bob Briggs compare himself to in "Tallis"?
2. In the beginning of the screenplay, baboons have gathered in what place?
3. What is the name of the scientists' ship in Ape and Essence?
4. What does Dr. Schneeglock blame for Dr. Poole's lack of a fulfillment of his promise?
5. Why are the primitives unable to make clothes?
Short Essay Questions
1. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
2. Describe the scene, including the chanting, taking place in the Los Angeles Coliseum at the height of the Purification Ceremonies.
3. Does the Arch Vicar wish for Dr. Poole to join the church? Why or why not?
4. Provide the following characters' views on sex: the Arch Vicar, the Chief, and Dr. Poole.
5. What difference does the narrator make between conscience and customs?
6. Why does Loola feel that Dr. Poole is different from other men she has known?
7. What is Bob Briggs appraisal of Gandhi?
8. What effect has the Industrial Revolution had on humanity according to the Arch Vicar?
9. Describe the Chief's conception of "Democracy."
10. Describe the opening of the movie "Ape and Essence."
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)