|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the human condition, what does fear NOT cast out, according to the narrator?
2. Why are the primitives unable to make clothes?
(a) They are religiously opposed to clothing.
(b) There is no machinery left to make clothes.
(c) Only the Chief is allowed to wear clothes.
(d) Cotton has changed since the radioactivity of the World War.
3. William Tallis is from ____________.
(a) Bakersfield, California.
(b) Murcia, California.
(c) New Zealand.
(d) London, England.
4. Why does Dr. Poole claim he cannot fix the Chief's train?
(a) Dr. Poole does not possess the necessary engineering background.
(b) Dr. Poole would only fix the train if the Chief released Loola.
(c) Dr. Poole pretends he does not know how to fix the train to provide leverage for future negotiations.
(d) Dr. Poole does not wish to help the Chief, whom he considers evil.
5. What became of William Tallis' second wife?
(a) She was persecuted for being Jewish and was killed.
(b) She died from cancer.
(c) She committed suicide after Mr. Tallis died.
(d) She ran off with another man.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the books incinerated in the Chief's book-burning ceremony?
2. Where does the granddaughter of William Tallis live?
3. Who orders Dr. Poole to be buried up to his waist by the gravediggers?
4. How does the narrator characterize the scientists from New Zealand?
5. For how long have the primitives been raiding gravesites?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bob Briggs help Rosie?
2. What does Bob Briggs ask Lou Lublin for, and why? How does this relate to a religious painting?
3. What are the specifics of Bob Briggs' personal troubles at the outset of the novel?
4. Describe the landing of the Canterbury and the crew's first sight of land.
5. Describe the opening of the movie "Ape and Essence."
6. Describe the Chief's conception of "Democracy."
7. Why does the Chief order his gravediggers to bury Dr. Poole?
8. Describe the moment involving a religious rite practiced by the Satanic Science Practitioner.
9. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
10. What is the narrator's point about love and fear when describing the crew of the Canterbury?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)