|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Chief figure declares that he is operating under what type of government?
(a) An Autocratic.
(b) A Republic.
(c) A Dictatorship.
(d) A Democracy.
2. What became of William Tallis' second wife?
(a) She died from cancer.
(b) She committed suicide after Mr. Tallis died.
(c) She ran off with another man.
(d) She was persecuted for being Jewish and was killed.
3. Why was a gravedigger subjected to a punishment of twenty-five lashes?
(a) He argued with the leader about the best way to dig up graves.
(b) He stepped on a grave.
(c) He tried to steal a corpse's ring for himself.
(d) He tried to run away.
4. Which scientist is leashed by a female baboon at the beginning of the screenplay?
(a) Albert Einstein.
(b) John "Mad Jack" Fuller.
(c) Michael Faraday.
(d) Isaac Newton.
5. William Tallis is from ____________.
(a) London, England.
(b) New Zealand.
(c) Bakersfield, California.
(d) Murcia, California.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Cottonwood Ranch located?
2. What does Dr. Schneeglock blame for Dr. Poole's lack of a fulfillment of his promise?
3. On which street corner does Chief order books to be incinerated?
4. How are the books incinerated in the Chief's book-burning ceremony?
5. The narrator compares the beauty of the first image on screen in "Ape and Essence" to a poem by which poet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bob Briggs ask Lou Lublin for, and why? How does this relate to a religious painting?
2. What are the specifics of Bob Briggs' personal troubles at the outset of the novel?
3. What about Dr. Poole's presence is surprising to Chief?
4. Why does the Chief order his gravediggers to bury Dr. Poole?
5. Describe the scene in which baboons are gathered at a palace.
6. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
7. Why is the Chief concerned about the present mating season?
8. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
9. Why are the gravediggers robbing graves?
10. How is Dr. Poole described? What does Dr. Schneeglock think of him?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)