|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event resulted in the destruction of a majority of mankind in the screenplay?
(a) Robots who turned on their masters.
(b) World War Three.
(c) Overpopulation of a poisonous frog.
(d) A deadly plague.
2. What surprises Chief about Dr. Poole's admission that he arrived on a boat?
(a) Chief feels boats are magic.
(b) The Chief is indifferent to Dr. Poole's admission.
(c) Chief feels only the devil rides on a boat.
(d) Chief is surprised New Zealand still had boats.
3. The lobby of the Cocktail Bar is filled with which group of people?
(a) Religious leaders and the chorus of youths.
(b) Men and their healthy babies.
(c) Gravediggers and criminals.
(d) Women and their deformed babies.
4. Where do the narrator and Bob Briggs discover the screenplay at the heart of the novel?
(a) Outside the Studio Commissary.
(b) In Murcia, California.
(c) On the Canterbury ship.
(d) At Cottonwood Ranch.
5. What is Miss Ethel Hook's desire, with respect to Dr. Poole?
(a) She wishes Dr. Poole would teach her more about the flora and fauna they discover.
(b) She wishes Dr. Poole would propose marriage to her.
(c) She wishes Dr. Poole would leave the team and go back to New Zealand, for his own safety.
(d) She wishes Dr. Poole would drop dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the human condition, what does fear NOT cast out, according to the narrator?
2. What is Rosie's career aspiration?
3. How much does Bob owe the government in back taxes?
4. On what date do the explorer-scientists set out from New Zealand?
5. Why are the primitives unable to make clothes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Purification Ceremonies?
2. Describe the scene in which baboons are gathered at a palace.
3. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
4. Set the scene for the opening of the novel. What is happening? When?
5. Describe the Chief's conception of "Democracy."
6. How do Bob Briggs and the narrator initially become interested in "Ape and Essence"?
7. What about Dr. Poole's presence is surprising to Chief?
8. What does Bob Briggs ask Lou Lublin for, and why? How does this relate to a religious painting?
9. Describe the circumstances during which Dr. Poole is kidnapped.
10. What background information is the narrator able to learn about William Tallis?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)