|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Poole tell Chief about why New Zealand was spared in the World War?
(a) The country was deemed to not be of strategic value.
(b) Dr. Poole refuses to admit he is from New Zealand.
(c) Dr. Poole lies and states that most of New Zealand was destroyed.
(d) Its citizens created a magical forcefield.
2. Which gravedigger apologizes to Dr. Poole by claiming that burying Dr. Poole was done only for fun?
3. How are the books incinerated in the Chief's book-burning ceremony?
(a) In the fireplace of an abandoned mansion.
(b) In a baker's oven.
(c) The books are placed at regular intervals on the street and then lit individually.
(d) In a large bonfire.
4. What became of William Tallis' second wife?
(a) She was persecuted for being Jewish and was killed.
(b) She died from cancer.
(c) She ran off with another man.
(d) She committed suicide after Mr. Tallis died.
5. Who decides to drive to Cottonwood Ranch to find William Tallis?
(a) Bob Briggs only.
(b) The narrator only.
(c) The narrator and Bob Briggs.
(d) The narrator, Bob Briggs, and Lou Lublin.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chief figure declares that he is operating under what type of government?
2. How does the narrator characterize the scientists from New Zealand?
3. In the human condition, what does fear NOT cast out, according to the narrator?
4. Why was New Zealand spared from the destruction that ravaged the rest of the planet?
5. Where do the narrator and Bob Briggs meet at the outset of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
2. Describe the moment involving a religious rite practiced by the Satanic Science Practitioner.
3. Set the scene for the opening of the novel. What is happening? When?
4. Provide the following characters' views on sex: the Arch Vicar, the Chief, and Dr. Poole.
5. How do Chief and Dr. Poole clash over books at Pershing Square?
6. According to the Arch Vicar, did Belial need the atomic bomb to assure the destruction of mankind?
7. How is Loola finally swayed to run away with Dr. Poole?
8. Describe Dr. Poole's emotional state of mind after being ravished by the two mulatto girls.
9. What commentary does the script narrator offer about joy (as described in a poem by Shelley) and the possibility of joy in the ape-mind?
10. What is Bob Briggs appraisal of Gandhi?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)