|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the youngest gravedigger tempted by, which he must resist?
(a) His leader's bacon sandwich.
(b) The fine clothes of a corpse.
(c) The large emerald ring of a corpse.
(d) A plump girl beside him.
2. What is Rosie's career aspiration?
(c) Singer and actress.
3. What is the name for the primitives' religious leader?
(a) The Satanic Science Practitioner.
(b) Book Eater.
(c) Right Hand of Belial.
(d) Vessel of the Unholy Spirit.
4. What is the occupation of Bob Briggs?
(d) Retired military officer.
5. Why does Dr. Poole claim he cannot fix the Chief's train?
(a) Dr. Poole does not possess the necessary engineering background.
(b) Dr. Poole does not wish to help the Chief, whom he considers evil.
(c) Dr. Poole would only fix the train if the Chief released Loola.
(d) Dr. Poole pretends he does not know how to fix the train to provide leverage for future negotiations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the granddaughter of William Tallis live?
2. In the human condition, what does fear NOT cast out, according to the narrator?
3. Why was New Zealand spared from the destruction that ravaged the rest of the planet?
4. Where did William Tallis prefer to be buried?
5. What is the first thing to appear in the "Ape and Essence" screenplay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's point about love and fear when describing the crew of the Canterbury?
2. How does Bob Briggs help Rosie?
3. Describe the moment involving a religious rite practiced by the Satanic Science Practitioner.
4. Describe the circumstances during which Dr. Poole is kidnapped.
5. How is Dr. Poole described? What does Dr. Schneeglock think of him?
6. How is Dr. Poole able to argue his way out of being buried alive?
7. What does Bob Briggs ask Lou Lublin for, and why? How does this relate to a religious painting?
8. Describe the Chief's conception of "Democracy."
9. Set the scene for the opening of the novel. What is happening? When?
10. What point does the script narrator make about baboons and knowledge?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)