|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What derogatory name do primitive men call the primitive women who bear deformed babies?
(a) Mistress of Belial.
(b) Tool of the Devil.
(c) Vessel of the Unholy Spirit.
(d) Satan's Spawn.
2. What kind of primate represents the greatest among man, according to the narrator?
(a) The baboon.
(b) The chimpanzee.
(c) The gorilla.
(d) The lemur.
3. What does Mrs. Coulton believe about how the narrator and William Tallis might have gotten along?
(a) They would not have liked one another.
(b) They would have been indifferent to one another.
(c) They would have gotten along splendidly.
(d) Their political differences would have proved too much for even a casual acquaintance.
4. The narrator makes an analogy between Gandhi's nonviolence and what feature of Bob Brigg's life?
(a) His writing.
(b) His gambling.
(c) His adultery.
(d) His drinking.
5. Why was New Zealand spared from the destruction that ravaged the rest of the planet?
(a) Its leaders engaged in clever diplomacy.
(b) It was not deemed to be of any important military value.
(c) It built great bunkers that protected its people.
(d) Because of raging sea storms, it was not accessible to aggressors.
Short Answer Questions
1. The novel begins on what important day?
2. How does Dr. Poole convince the gravediggers to spare him from being buried alive?
3. Where do the narrator and Bob Briggs discover the screenplay at the heart of the novel?
4. In the beginning of the screenplay, baboons have gathered in what place?
5. What surprises Chief about Dr. Poole's admission that he arrived on a boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Purification Ceremonies?
2. Describe the scene in which baboons are gathered at a palace.
3. What does Bob Briggs ask Lou Lublin for, and why? How does this relate to a religious painting?
4. How do Bob Briggs and the narrator initially become interested in "Ape and Essence"?
5. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
6. How does Bob Briggs help Rosie?
7. Why are the gravediggers robbing graves?
8. Describe the first moment of commonality shared by Dr. Poole and Loola following the rite practiced by the Satanic Science Practitioner.
9. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
10. Describe the opening of the movie "Ape and Essence."
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)