|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group of artists does Bob Briggs compare himself to in "Tallis"?
(a) The Surrealist Writers.
(b) The Romantic Poets.
(c) The Impressionist Painters.
(d) The Baroque Composers.
2. Which of the following is true about the scientists' rediscovery of the world?
(a) They use sonar technology to find land.
(b) Oil derricks can still be seen in the water outside of shore.
(c) They crash-land because of a dense fog.
(d) The world is still highly radioactive, and the scientists must wear suits.
3. On which deity do the primitives blame their problems?
4. What promise does Bob make to Rosie?
(a) Bob agrees to introduce her to a powerful music executive.
(b) Bob agrees to read her feature screenplay.
(c) Bob agrees to never visit Cottonwood Ranch again.
(d) Bob agrees to schedule a screen test for her.
5. Which book does Dr. Poole save from the book burning ordered by the Chief?
(a) Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities.
(b) The Complete Works of William Shakespeare.
(c) A collection of letters and personal essays by Marcel Proust.
(d) A volume of Shelley's poetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which scientist is leashed by a female baboon at the beginning of the screenplay?
2. What is the name of Bob Briggs' wife?
3. Where do the narrator and Bob Briggs discover the screenplay at the heart of the novel?
4. The primitives' religious leader presses a young woman about what matter, eventually beating her?
5. Where is Cottonwood Ranch located?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Chief and Dr. Poole clash over books at Pershing Square?
2. Why was Gandhi killed according to the narrator?
3. What does Bob Briggs ask Lou Lublin for, and why? How does this relate to a religious painting?
4. What background information is the narrator able to learn about William Tallis?
5. How does Bob Briggs help Rosie?
6. Describe the landing of the Canterbury and the crew's first sight of land.
7. What are the Purification Ceremonies?
8. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
9. What are the specifics of Bob Briggs' personal troubles at the outset of the novel?
10. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)