|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does Bob make to Rosie?
(a) Bob agrees to introduce her to a powerful music executive.
(b) Bob agrees to read her feature screenplay.
(c) Bob agrees to never visit Cottonwood Ranch again.
(d) Bob agrees to schedule a screen test for her.
2. By the time Cottonwood Ranch is visited, how long had William Tallis been dead?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) Four years.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Two days.
3. Why was a gravedigger subjected to a punishment of twenty-five lashes?
(a) He tried to steal a corpse's ring for himself.
(b) He tried to run away.
(c) He argued with the leader about the best way to dig up graves.
(d) He stepped on a grave.
4. What derogatory name do primitive men call the primitive women who bear deformed babies?
(a) Tool of the Devil.
(b) Mistress of Belial.
(c) Vessel of the Unholy Spirit.
(d) Satan's Spawn.
5. William Tallis died from ___________.
(a) A botched surgery.
(b) Cancer of the throat.
(c) A hit-and-run car accident.
(d) A heart attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is living on Tallis' Cottonwood Ranch when it is visited by the filmmaker(s)?
2. How does Dr. Poole become separated from his team?
3. According to the narrator, what was Gandhi's "great secret"?
4. What does Dr. Poole tell Chief about why New Zealand was spared in the World War?
5. Why was Dr. Poole buried up to his waist by the gravediggers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's point about love and fear when describing the crew of the Canterbury?
2. Describe the first moment of commonality shared by Dr. Poole and Loola following the rite practiced by the Satanic Science Practitioner.
3. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
4. Describe the moment involving a religious rite practiced by the Satanic Science Practitioner.
5. Set the scene for the opening of the novel. What is happening? When?
6. Why was Gandhi killed according to the narrator?
7. What about Dr. Poole's presence is surprising to Chief?
8. List the allusions/references found in this section of the text.
9. Describe the Chief's conception of "Democracy."
10. What is the New Zealand Rediscovery Expedition, and what is its mission?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)