|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name for the innermost chamber where the Arch Vicar resides?
(a) Belial's Den.
(b) Cocktail Lounge.
(c) The High Altar.
(d) The Unholy of Unholies.
2. For about how long does Dr. Poole work on the assignment given to him by the primitive community?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Four days.
(d) Four years.
3. What is the Chief's perspective on sexual intercourse?
(a) He enjoys it on a regular basis.
(b) He feels no emotion from sexual intercourse.
(c) He only participates in sex for procreation.
(d) It is revolting.
4. In his conversation with Dr. Poole, the Arch Vicar shows himself to be an expert in which field?
(d) World history.
5. Who is NOT among Dr. Poole's initial guests to his new laboratory?
(a) Director of Food Production.
(c) Arch Vicar.
6. What is NOT given to Dr. Poole when he is assigned a job?
(a) A plot of land.
(b) A laboratory.
(c) Loola for his assistant.
(d) Several laborers.
7. What explanation does the Arch Vicar have for his community's restricted mating patterns?
(a) It is due to excessive gamma radiation.
(b) It is the Law of Belial.
(c) It is due to the powerful influence of the Hots community.
(d) It is necessary for survival.
8. What does the Arch Vicar blame for famine and war?
(a) A failure to understand history.
(c) Drug use.
9. In what year was William Tallis born?
10. What religion is Dr. Poole?
11. What is the name for those who do not obey the strict mating rituals of the Arch Vicar's religion?
12. How can Dr. Poole's emotions at seeing the mating rituals be best described?
(c) Excited, yet revolted.
(d) Scientifically curious.
13. What is the result of Dr. Poole and Loola's discussion in a car garage toward the end of the novel?
(a) They agree to stay in the primitive community, but try to change its laws and customs.
(b) They agree they must stay, but they make plans to shepherd their child to the Hots community.
(c) They agree Dr. Poole must flee north, but Loola must stay.
(d) They agree to run away together.
14. According to the Arch Vicar, how do Men destroy themselves?
(a) By destroying their environment.
(b) By sacrificing deformed babies.
(c) By using drugs.
(d) By impregnating women.
15. When evil destroys itself, what notion returns back to humanity?
(a) The Order of Things.
(b) The Spirit of Belial.
(c) The Phoenix Bird.
(d) The Unholy of Holies.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dr. Poole and Loola stop for a night after their escape, they are thirty miles outside of what town?
2. According to the Arch Vicar, what makes men into cowards, saints, and humans?
3. At the end of the novel, where are Dr. Poole and Loola headed?
4. According to the Arch Vicar, why do his people worship the Devil?
5. Whose tombstone do Dr. Poole and Loola discover in the desert?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)