|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Flossie think about Loola's relationship with Dr. Poole?
(a) Flossie encourages the relationship, as it may produce a healthy infant.
(b) Flossie feels Loola and Dr. Poole should elope.
(c) Loola should stay away from Dr. Poole, given his romantic lust.
(d) Loola should stay away from Dr. Poole because he is possibly contagious with Belial's spirit.
2. What is the name for the innermost chamber where the Arch Vicar resides?
(a) Belial's Den.
(b) Cocktail Lounge.
(c) The High Altar.
(d) The Unholy of Unholies.
3. When Dr. Poole and Loola stop for a night after their escape, they are thirty miles outside of what town?
(b) San Diego.
(c) Las Vegas.
4. As Dr. Poole and Loola have sex, what is the Arch Vicar doing?
(a) Watching them proudly from the shadows.
(b) Reading in his seminary.
(c) Giving last rites to the latest deformed babies.
(d) Addressing the congregation.
5. What is the name for those who do not obey the strict mating rituals of the Arch Vicar's religion?
6. What is used to kill the deformed babies?
(a) A hammer.
(b) A knife.
(c) They are strangled.
(d) An electric cattle prod.
7. What does the Arch Vicar believe about Belial's relationship to the atomic bomb?
(a) Belial personally engineered the bomb.
(b) The bomb was essential for Belial to degrade mankind.
(c) Belial would have degraded mankind with or without the bomb.
(d) Belial created atomic technology, but intended it to be used as a source of limitless energy.
8. Which two concepts does the Arch Vicar blame for the fall of mankind?
(a) Socialism and Generosity.
(b) Progress and Nationalism.
(c) Enlightenment and Generosity.
(d) Individualism and Joy.
9. In which garage does Dr. Poole meet with Loola in a car to have a discussion about the nature of evil?
(c) St. Azazel's.
(d) The Unholy of Holies.
10. How many laborers are assigned to Dr. Poole in his job?
(d) Two hundred.
11. Which church member actually does the killing of the babies?
(a) The Postulant.
(b) The Satanic Science Practitioner.
(c) The Arch-Vicar.
(d) The Patriarch of Pasadena.
12. What injures Miss Ethel Hook when she goes to look for Dr. Poole?
(a) An arrow shot by a primitive.
(c) A poisonous snake.
(d) Gamma radiation.
13. Who is NOT among Dr. Poole's initial guests to his new laboratory?
(a) Arch Vicar.
(d) Director of Food Production.
14. In what year did William Tallis die?
15. The deformed babies in the Cocktail Bar were all born between what dates?
(a) December 10 and December 17.
(b) January 1 and December 31.
(c) January 1 and March 1.
(d) April 4 through May 21.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Dr. Poole, what happens when "evil is carried to the limit"?
2. Why is Miss Ethel Hook administered a sedative by the crew of the Canterbury?
3. In his conversation with Dr. Poole, the Arch Vicar shows himself to be an expert in which field?
4. The Arch Vicar's church structure is named after which saint?
5. What is the result of Dr. Poole and Loola's discussion in a car garage toward the end of the novel?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)