|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Dr. Poole, what happens when "evil is carried to the limit"?
(a) It destroys itself.
(b) It becomes good.
(c) It is always counteracted by great good.
(d) It destroys mankind.
2. Why is Miss Ethel Hook administered a sedative by the crew of the Canterbury?
(a) She becomes furious at Dr. Cudworth for his failure to read their map correctly.
(b) She cannot fathom the notion of leaving Dr. Poole.
(c) She tries to engineer a mutiny after becoming fed up with the captain.
(d) Her wounds are fatal, and she is put out of her misery.
3. Who comforts Polly when her baby is being taken to be killed?
(b) The Arch Vicar.
(c) Miss Ethel Hook.
4. Who assigns jobs in the primitive community?
(a) The Patriarch of Pasadena.
(b) The Satanic Science Practitioner.
(c) The Grand Inquisitor's Chief Assistant.
(d) The Postulant.
5. The deformed babies in the Cocktail Bar were all born between what dates?
(a) January 1 and December 31.
(b) January 1 and March 1.
(c) April 4 through May 21.
(d) December 10 and December 17.
6. Which church member whips the mothers after the babies are sacrificed?
(a) The Postulant.
(b) The Arch Vicar.
(c) The Satanic Science Practitioner.
(d) The Patriarch of Pasadena.
7. What religion is Dr. Poole?
8. How many laborers are assigned to Dr. Poole in his job?
(c) Two hundred.
9. When evil destroys itself, what notion returns back to humanity?
(a) The Spirit of Belial.
(b) The Phoenix Bird.
(c) The Order of Things.
(d) The Unholy of Holies.
10. The desert tombstone has poetry from which poet inscribed on it?
(a) Percy Bysshe Shelley.
(b) W. B. Yeats.
(c) Ben Jonson.
(d) Walt Whitman.
11. How does Dr. Poole react to Polly's child being killed?
(a) He is caught up in the mob mentality and cheers along with everyone else.
(b) He faints.
(c) He becomes angered and must be restrained.
(d) He chokes the Patriarch of Pasadena to death.
12. Who "ravishes" Dr. Poole during mating season?
(a) Two young mulatto girls.
(d) Two Postulants.
13. What is the name for the innermost chamber where the Arch Vicar resides?
(a) Cocktail Lounge.
(b) Belial's Den.
(c) The Unholy of Unholies.
(d) The High Altar.
14. According to the Arch Vicar, how long has mankind pitted itself against Nature?
(a) Three centuries.
(b) Three years.
(c) Thirty years.
(d) 100,000 years.
15. What do the Canterbury scientists ultimately decide to do about Dr. Poole?
(a) Air bomb the entire area.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Leave him.
(d) Stage a military rescue.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Arch Vicar respond when Dr. Poole expresses horror at the sight of blood at the sacrifice of the babies?
2. What injures Miss Ethel Hook when she goes to look for Dr. Poole?
3. When Loola is assigned to her new job, who acts as a comforting friend and confidante?
4. Where do Dr. Poole and Loola first have sex?
5. What advantage does the Arch Vicar see for an unmutated male to join his church?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)