|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The deformed babies in the Cocktail Bar were all born between what dates?
(a) December 10 and December 17.
(b) April 4 through May 21.
(c) January 1 and December 31.
(d) January 1 and March 1.
2. What is the name for those who do not obey the strict mating rituals of the Arch Vicar's religion?
3. What is the reason that sex has become seasonal for the primitive community?
(a) It is culturally ingrained and has no physical causation.
(b) To control the population, sex is performed during certain moon phases.
(c) Men are given regular injections of testosterone.
(d) Gamma radiation has interfered with female hormones.
4. When Dr. Poole and Loola stop for a night after their escape, they are thirty miles outside of what town?
(c) San Diego.
(d) Las Vegas.
5. What does the Arch Vicar tell Dr. Poole about his scientist friends?
(a) They were wounded trying to find him, and there will be no rescue.
(b) They are all dead from gamma radiation.
(c) They are coming for him now, and he must make a choice as to where to go.
(d) They were malnourished and fell to a pack of wolves.
6. How long does Dr. Poole feel proper food production will take in the primitive community?
(a) Five years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Fifty years.
(d) One thousand years.
7. Whose tombstone do Dr. Poole and Loola discover in the desert?
(a) An unknown soldier.
(b) William Tallis.
(d) Jefferson Thorpe.
8. What will happen to the deformation rate of babies in fifty years, according to the Arch Vicar?
(a) It will halve.
(b) It will triple.
(c) It will stay about the same.
(d) It will double
9. What is the result of Dr. Poole and Loola's discussion in a car garage toward the end of the novel?
(a) They agree Dr. Poole must flee north, but Loola must stay.
(b) They agree to stay in the primitive community, but try to change its laws and customs.
(c) They agree they must stay, but they make plans to shepherd their child to the Hots community.
(d) They agree to run away together.
10. What happens to sexually aggressive boys in the primitive community?
(a) They are chained in a dungeon.
(b) They are sacrificed on the high altar.
(c) They are castrated.
(d) Their aggression is encouraged for the good of the community.
11. Which church member actually does the killing of the babies?
(a) The Postulant.
(b) The Satanic Science Practitioner.
(c) The Patriarch of Pasadena.
(d) The Arch-Vicar.
12. As Dr. Poole and Loola have sex, what is the Arch Vicar doing?
(a) Watching them proudly from the shadows.
(b) Addressing the congregation.
(c) Reading in his seminary.
(d) Giving last rites to the latest deformed babies.
13. The Arch Vicar's church structure is named after which saint?
(a) St. Michael.
(b) St. Peter.
(c) St. Azazel.
(d) St. Jerome.
14. Why is Miss Ethel Hook administered a sedative by the crew of the Canterbury?
(a) She cannot fathom the notion of leaving Dr. Poole.
(b) Her wounds are fatal, and she is put out of her misery.
(c) She tries to engineer a mutiny after becoming fed up with the captain.
(d) She becomes furious at Dr. Cudworth for his failure to read their map correctly.
15. On what structure are the babies sacrificed?
(a) The Occasional Table.
(b) Belial's Butcher Block.
(c) Vessel of the Unholy Spirit.
(d) The High Altar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advantage does the Arch Vicar see for an unmutated male to join his church?
2. What job is assigned to Loola after her job review?
3. What is the Arch Vicar's perspective on sexual intercourse?
4. The desert tombstone has poetry from which poet inscribed on it?
5. Who "ravishes" Dr. Poole during mating season?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)