|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two concepts does the Arch Vicar blame for the fall of mankind?
(a) Enlightenment and Generosity.
(b) Socialism and Generosity.
(c) Progress and Nationalism.
(d) Individualism and Joy.
2. What is Loola's initial perspective on her night of sex with Dr. Poole?
(a) She loves him desperately.
(b) He was a terrible lover.
(c) He was more fun than her other partners.
(d) Given her cultural background, she is entirely indifferent.
3. Which church member whips the mothers after the babies are sacrificed?
(a) The Arch Vicar.
(b) The Postulant.
(c) The Patriarch of Pasadena.
(d) The Satanic Science Practitioner.
4. According to the Arch Vicar, how do Men destroy themselves?
(a) By impregnating women.
(b) By using drugs.
(c) By sacrificing deformed babies.
(d) By destroying their environment.
5. As Dr. Poole and Loola have sex, what is the Arch Vicar doing?
(a) Giving last rites to the latest deformed babies.
(b) Reading in his seminary.
(c) Addressing the congregation.
(d) Watching them proudly from the shadows.
6. Loola notes that Dr. Poole is different from the primitive men in what way?
(a) He finds no value in books.
(b) He expresses contempt for deformed babies.
(c) He is a man of action rather than words.
(d) He likes to talk to her.
7. What is Loola threatened with when she objects to her assigned job?
(b) The isolation chamber.
(c) Death by hanging.
(d) Twenty-five lashes.
8. What happens to sexually aggressive boys in the primitive community?
(a) They are castrated.
(b) They are chained in a dungeon.
(c) They are sacrificed on the high altar.
(d) Their aggression is encouraged for the good of the community.
9. What book does Dr. Poole read from while courting Loola?
(a) The Bible.
(b) A book of Shelley's poetry.
(c) Shakespeare's love sonnets.
(d) William Tallis' Ape and Essence.
10. Whose tombstone do Dr. Poole and Loola discover in the desert?
(a) William Tallis.
(b) An unknown soldier.
(d) Jefferson Thorpe.
11. When Dr. Poole and Loola stop for a night after their escape, they are thirty miles outside of what town?
(b) San Diego.
(c) Las Vegas.
12. Which, according to the script's narrator, is not one of the "fruits of the ape-mind"?
13. What is Polly's perspective on her deformed baby?
(a) Polly is indifferent to the child, and is not present for its sacrifice.
(b) Polly loves the child, but is willing to sacrifice it for the greater good.
(c) Polly hates the child, and feels it has earned its fate.
(d) Polly loves the child and does not want to see him killed.
14. Who assigns jobs in the primitive community?
(a) The Satanic Science Practitioner.
(b) The Patriarch of Pasadena.
(c) The Postulant.
(d) The Grand Inquisitor's Chief Assistant.
15. What relationship does the Arch Vicar urge for Dr. Poole with respect to the church?
(a) The Arch Vicar thinks Dr. Poole would be a bad influence on the church.
(b) The Arch Vicar encourages Dr. Poole to become a full member.
(c) The Arch Vicar wishes to expel Dr. Poole from the church because of his lustful ways.
(d) The Arch Vicar thinks Dr. Poole is not enlightened enough to understand the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dr. Poole react to Polly's child being killed?
2. Who is NOT among Dr. Poole's initial guests to his new laboratory?
3. Where are the babies sacrificed to appease the Devil?
4. How many books has the Arch Vicar managed to save from destruction?
5. How does the Arch Vicar respond when Dr. Poole expresses horror at the sight of blood at the sacrifice of the babies?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)