|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What explanation does the Arch Vicar have for his community's restricted mating patterns?
(a) It is the Law of Belial.
(b) It is due to the powerful influence of the Hots community.
(c) It is necessary for survival.
(d) It is due to excessive gamma radiation.
2. At the end of the novel, where are Dr. Poole and Loola headed?
3. The Arch Vicar's church structure is named after which saint?
(a) St. Peter.
(b) St. Azazel.
(c) St. Michael.
(d) St. Jerome.
4. How does the Arch Vicar aid Dr. Poole in seeing the mating rituals better?
(a) He gives him a walking tour.
(b) He gives him night-vision goggles.
(c) He orders all couples to be brought out into the moonlight.
(d) He orders the lights to be turned on.
5. According to the Arch Vicar, what does Man call Progress?
(a) The enlightenment of the soul.
(b) The appeasement of Belial.
(c) The wickedness of graverobbing.
(d) The destruction of the earth.
6. What job is given to Dr. Poole in the primitive community?
(a) Assistant to the Director of Food Production.
(b) High Altar Supplicant.
(c) Gravedigger Manager.
(d) Robotics Technician.
7. What is the Arch Vicar's perspective on sexual intercourse?
(a) Without it, he would have no reason to go on living.
(b) He feels no emotion from sexual intercourse.
(c) It is healthy.
(d) It is revolting.
8. What religion is Dr. Poole?
9. When Loola is assigned to her new job, who acts as a comforting friend and confidante?
(a) Dr. Poole.
(d) The Chief Assistant to the Grand Inquisitor.
10. Who is NOT among Dr. Poole's initial guests to his new laboratory?
(c) Director of Food Production.
(d) Arch Vicar.
11. When workers arrive to be assigned jobs for the year, what article of clothing are they given?
(a) Swimming trunks.
12. Why is Chief displeased with Dr. Poole and his opinion of food production?
(a) Chief is convinced Dr. Poole wishes to poison the community.
(b) Dr. Poole is providing no plans to provide for most of Chief's favorite foods.
(c) Chief wishes the process to go significantly faster.
(d) Chief feels Dr. Poole is being overly optimistic.
13. When Loola is assigned to her new job, at which location does she work?
(a) Hollywood cemetery.
(b) The Los Angeles Coliseum.
(c) Silver Ore Mine.
(d) The lab of the Director of Food Production.
14. What emotion best describes Dr. Poole's state of mind after the mating rituals?
(c) Scientific curiosity.
15. How does Dr. Poole react to Polly's child being killed?
(a) He is caught up in the mob mentality and cheers along with everyone else.
(b) He chokes the Patriarch of Pasadena to death.
(c) He faints.
(d) He becomes angered and must be restrained.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Arch Vicar respond when Dr. Poole expresses horror at the sight of blood at the sacrifice of the babies?
2. How many laborers are assigned to Dr. Poole in his job?
3. According to the Arch Vicar, how long has mankind pitted itself against Nature?
4. What does the Arch Vicar tell Dr. Poole about his scientist friends?
5. According to the Arch Vicar, what makes men into cowards, saints, and humans?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)