|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will happen to the deformation rate of babies in fifty years, according to the Arch Vicar?
(a) It will double
(b) It will halve.
(c) It will triple.
(d) It will stay about the same.
2. How does the Arch Vicar respond when Dr. Poole expresses horror at the sight of blood at the sacrifice of the babies?
(a) Dr. Poole needs to be a man and toughen up.
(b) The blood represents the demons leaving the baby's body.
(c) Dr. Poole's own religion is a history full of bloodshed.
(d) The Arch Vicar hurries him away and agrees that it is a terrible sight.
3. In what year did William Tallis die?
4. With respect to the strange behavior of the primitives, Dr. Poole experiences a change from which state to which state?
(a) Horror to scientific curiosity.
(b) Joy to Ecstasy.
(c) Scientific curiosity to joy.
(d) Pain to Despair.
5. Why is Loola afraid of entering into a romantic relationship with Dr. Poole?
(a) He is a foreigner, and foreigners are evil and not to be trusted.
(b) He is always joking and never takes anything seriously, which annoys her.
(c) They will probably have a deformed baby.
(d) It is against the law.
6. When workers arrive to be assigned jobs for the year, what article of clothing are they given?
(c) Swimming trunks.
7. What is the Arch Vicar's opinion of the Industrial Revolution?
(a) Technology paradoxically allows Man to become closer with nature.
(b) Through technology, Man lost touch with reality.
(c) It represented the apex of civilization.
(d) It resulted in key advances they enjoy even today.
8. What does the Arch Vicar call the calamity of World War that destroyed most of the world?
(a) The Dimestore Disaster.
(b) The Event.
(c) The Thing.
(d) The Nuke.
9. What is NOT given to Dr. Poole when he is assigned a job?
(a) A plot of land.
(b) Several laborers.
(c) A laboratory.
(d) Loola for his assistant.
10. What emotion best describes Dr. Poole's state of mind after the mating rituals?
(a) Scientific curiosity.
11. What is the name for those who do not obey the strict mating rituals of the Arch Vicar's religion?
12. How does Dr. Poole react to Polly's child being killed?
(a) He is caught up in the mob mentality and cheers along with everyone else.
(b) He faints.
(c) He becomes angered and must be restrained.
(d) He chokes the Patriarch of Pasadena to death.
13. What does the Arch Vicar believe about Belial's relationship to the atomic bomb?
(a) The bomb was essential for Belial to degrade mankind.
(b) Belial created atomic technology, but intended it to be used as a source of limitless energy.
(c) Belial would have degraded mankind with or without the bomb.
(d) Belial personally engineered the bomb.
14. When evil destroys itself, what notion returns back to humanity?
(a) The Order of Things.
(b) The Spirit of Belial.
(c) The Phoenix Bird.
(d) The Unholy of Holies.
15. Which, according to the script's narrator, is not one of the "fruits of the ape-mind"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Miss Ethel Hook administered a sedative by the crew of the Canterbury?
2. What is the result of Dr. Poole and Loola's discussion in a car garage toward the end of the novel?
3. At the end of the novel, where are Dr. Poole and Loola headed?
4. Where do Dr. Poole and Loola first have sex?
5. What injures Dr. Cudworth when he goes to look for Dr. Poole?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)