|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Dr. Poole, why can Belial never win the war for humanity's soul?
(a) He cannot resist the temptation to take evil so far that it necessarily fails.
(b) Belial can corrupt animals, but humans are too intelligent to fall for his tricks.
(c) He is a coward and can't do the truly dirty work it would take.
(d) At his core, Belial has a good heart.
2. Which church member whips the mothers after the babies are sacrificed?
(a) The Postulant.
(b) The Satanic Science Practitioner.
(c) The Patriarch of Pasadena.
(d) The Arch Vicar.
3. Why is Chief displeased with Dr. Poole and his opinion of food production?
(a) Chief wishes the process to go significantly faster.
(b) Dr. Poole is providing no plans to provide for most of Chief's favorite foods.
(c) Chief feels Dr. Poole is being overly optimistic.
(d) Chief is convinced Dr. Poole wishes to poison the community.
4. What does the Arch Vicar believe about Belial's relationship to the atomic bomb?
(a) Belial would have degraded mankind with or without the bomb.
(b) Belial created atomic technology, but intended it to be used as a source of limitless energy.
(c) Belial personally engineered the bomb.
(d) The bomb was essential for Belial to degrade mankind.
5. What religion is Dr. Poole?
6. Which two concepts does the Arch Vicar blame for the fall of mankind?
(a) Socialism and Generosity.
(b) Enlightenment and Generosity.
(c) Progress and Nationalism.
(d) Individualism and Joy.
7. The deformed babies in the Cocktail Bar were all born between what dates?
(a) January 1 and December 31.
(b) April 4 through May 21.
(c) January 1 and March 1.
(d) December 10 and December 17.
8. What is the Arch Vicar's perspective on sexual intercourse?
(a) It is healthy.
(b) Without it, he would have no reason to go on living.
(c) It is revolting.
(d) He feels no emotion from sexual intercourse.
9. Why is Miss Ethel Hook administered a sedative by the crew of the Canterbury?
(a) Her wounds are fatal, and she is put out of her misery.
(b) She cannot fathom the notion of leaving Dr. Poole.
(c) She becomes furious at Dr. Cudworth for his failure to read their map correctly.
(d) She tries to engineer a mutiny after becoming fed up with the captain.
10. How many books has the Arch Vicar managed to save from destruction?
(c) 3000 - 4000.
11. How can Dr. Poole's emotions at seeing the mating rituals be best described?
(a) Scientifically curious.
(b) Excited, yet revolted.
12. Where are the babies sacrificed to appease the Devil?
(a) The corner of Sunset and Vine.
(b) The San Diego Zoo.
(c) The Los Angeles Coliseum.
(d) An abandoned warehouse.
13. Who stands guard over Dr. Poole during the mating rituals to ensure he does not escape?
(a) The Arch Vicar.
(b) Two Postulants.
(d) The Patriarch of Pasadena.
14. What is the most obvious difference between Arch Vicar's community and the Hots?
(a) The Hots do not place restrictions on mating/romance.
(b) The Hots have a formal, highly controlling religious hierarchy.
(c) The Hots have leprous skin conditions due to radiation.
(d) The Hots do not possess a written language.
15. What is Loola threatened with when she objects to her assigned job?
(a) Death by hanging.
(c) The isolation chamber.
(d) Twenty-five lashes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who assigns jobs in the primitive community?
2. What is NOT given to Dr. Poole when he is assigned a job?
3. In what year was William Tallis born?
4. How does the Arch Vicar respond when Dr. Poole expresses horror at the sight of blood at the sacrifice of the babies?
5. What does the Arch Vicar tell Dr. Poole about his scientist friends?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)