|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the primitives explain the men's propensity to hit women?
(a) Women deserve beatings for their inherent wickedness.
(b) Women are possessed by Belial.
(c) Men are possessed by Belial.
(d) Women need to be toughened up to survive in the wilderness.
2. What part of "Ape and Essence" makes Bob decide to read the entire script?
(a) Its professional hole punches and brads.
(b) The fact that it is in pristine, unopened condition.
(c) Its glossy title page.
(d) Its opening poetry.
3. What derogatory name do primitive men call the primitive women who bear deformed babies?
(a) Satan's Spawn.
(b) Tool of the Devil.
(c) Vessel of the Unholy Spirit.
(d) Mistress of Belial.
4. On which deity do the primitives blame their problems?
5. How are the books incinerated in the Chief's book-burning ceremony?
(a) In a large bonfire.
(b) The books are placed at regular intervals on the street and then lit individually.
(c) In the fireplace of an abandoned mansion.
(d) In a baker's oven.
6. Why was a gravedigger subjected to a punishment of twenty-five lashes?
(a) He tried to steal a corpse's ring for himself.
(b) He tried to run away.
(c) He stepped on a grave.
(d) He argued with the leader about the best way to dig up graves.
7. By the time Cottonwood Ranch is visited, how long had William Tallis been dead?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Two days.
(c) Four years.
(d) Eighteen months.
8. What is the youngest gravedigger tempted by, which he must resist?
(a) The fine clothes of a corpse.
(b) A plump girl beside him.
(c) The large emerald ring of a corpse.
(d) His leader's bacon sandwich.
9. How do the primitives mark women who have not produced a healthy baby during the season?
(a) By shaving their heads.
(b) By tattooing them on the shoulders.
(c) By writing "NO" on their clothing.
(d) By making them wear distinct earrings.
10. Which book does Dr. Poole save from the book burning ordered by the Chief?
(a) A volume of Shelley's poetry.
(b) The Complete Works of William Shakespeare.
(c) Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities.
(d) A collection of letters and personal essays by Marcel Proust.
11. How does Dr. Poole become separated from his team?
(a) He stops to propose marriage to Miss Ethel Hook.
(b) He becomes injured, and the others will not slow for him.
(c) He stops to observe an unusual species of plant.
(d) He decides to confront the aggressive baboons in a nearby village.
12. In the beginning of the screenplay, the narrator warns that "all too often" Art takes Nature and __________.
(a) Denies all but the lowest organisms.
(b) Manufactures only the ludicrous.
(c) Produces only the sublime.
(d) Crafts only the wicked.
13. Why is Bob Briggs in financial trouble?
(a) He has made a series of poor investments.
(b) He owes back taxes.
(c) His home was recently robbed.
(d) He has accrued gambling debts.
14. The primitives' religious leader presses a young woman about what matter, eventually beating her?
(a) The Suffering of Mankind.
(b) The Beauty of Nature.
(c) The Power of Belial.
(d) The Nature of Woman.
15. What destination have the team of scientists from New Zealand chosen?
Short Answer Questions
1. William Tallis died from ___________.
2. What promise does Bob make to Rosie?
3. Who kidnaps Dr. Poole?
4. Near which major city do the scientists finally land?
5. In the human condition, what does fear NOT cast out, according to the narrator?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)