|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Bob Briggs speaks about his personal history, how does the narrator react?
(a) The narrator is infuriated and punches Briggs.
(b) The narrator is bored.
(c) The narrator is intrigued.
(d) The narrator is disgusted and leaves the room.
2. What is the name of the scientists' ship in Ape and Essence?
(a) The Flying Dutchman.
(b) The Kiwi.
(c) The Worchestershire.
(d) The Canterbury.
3. Why is Bob Briggs in financial trouble?
(a) He has accrued gambling debts.
(b) His home was recently robbed.
(c) He owes back taxes.
(d) He has made a series of poor investments.
4. By the time Cottonwood Ranch is visited, how long had William Tallis been dead?
(a) Two days.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Four years.
5. What is the name for the team of scientists at the heart of Ape and Essence?
(a) The Association for New Horizons.
(b) The Post-War Analysis Committee.
(c) The California Knowledge Project.
(d) The New Zealand Rediscovery Expedition.
6. On which deity do the primitives blame their problems?
7. Who decides to drive to Cottonwood Ranch to find William Tallis?
(a) The narrator and Bob Briggs.
(b) The narrator, Bob Briggs, and Lou Lublin.
(c) Bob Briggs only.
(d) The narrator only.
8. What part of "Ape and Essence" makes Bob decide to read the entire script?
(a) The fact that it is in pristine, unopened condition.
(b) Its glossy title page.
(c) Its opening poetry.
(d) Its professional hole punches and brads.
9. The narrator makes an analogy between Gandhi's nonviolence and what feature of Bob Brigg's life?
(a) His drinking.
(b) His writing.
(c) His gambling.
(d) His adultery.
10. What ritual is held among the primitives as a protection against deformed babies?
(a) The Devil's Dance.
(b) The Purification Ceremonies.
(c) Belial's Feast.
11. Which gravedigger apologizes to Dr. Poole by claiming that burying Dr. Poole was done only for fun?
12. Who kidnaps Dr. Poole?
(a) Miss Ethel Hook.
(b) The Chief.
(c) Three men.
(d) Three baboons.
13. On what date do the explorer-scientists set out from New Zealand?
(a) May 1, 2345.
(b) February 20, 2108.
(c) January 1, 2004.
(d) May 21, 1981.
14. How does Dr. Poole convince the gravediggers to spare him from being buried alive?
(a) He gives them several pieces of jewelry.
(b) He offers to give his boat to them.
(c) He offers to teach them to grow better crops.
(d) He offers to fix their train.
15. What is the foundation of modern life to the narrator?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of the movie script at the heart of the novel's story?
2. The novel begins on what important day?
3. What became of William Tallis' second wife?
4. In the beginning of the screenplay, baboons have gathered in what place?
5. What became of William Tallis' immediate family?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)