|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is true about the scientists' rediscovery of the world?
(a) They use sonar technology to find land.
(b) The world is still highly radioactive, and the scientists must wear suits.
(c) Oil derricks can still be seen in the water outside of shore.
(d) They crash-land because of a dense fog.
2. What is the occupation of Bob Briggs?
(b) Retired military officer.
3. By the time Cottonwood Ranch is visited, how long had William Tallis been dead?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Four years.
(c) Two days.
(d) Eighteen months.
4. When Bob Briggs speaks about his personal history, how does the narrator react?
(a) The narrator is intrigued.
(b) The narrator is bored.
(c) The narrator is disgusted and leaves the room.
(d) The narrator is infuriated and punches Briggs.
5. Which great fear does Loola confide to Dr. Poole when they first meet?
(a) She will bear a deformed baby.
(b) Chief will kill her.
(c) She is slowly dying from radiation.
(d) They will run out of food.
6. What is Loola's nickname for Dr. Poole?
(d) Pooh Bear.
7. What does Dr. Schneeglock blame for Dr. Poole's lack of a fulfillment of his promise?
(a) Dr. Poole still lives with his mother.
(b) Dr. Poole is promiscuous and cannot stay with one woman.
(c) Dr. Poole's mother died when he was only a baby.
(d) Dr. Poole is a gambler with significant debts.
8. William Tallis is from ____________.
(a) Bakersfield, California.
(b) New Zealand.
(c) London, England.
(d) Murcia, California.
9. How does the narrator characterize the scientists from New Zealand?
(a) They are petty and jealous, and given to fighting.
(b) They were hand-selected as the most intelligent of mankind.
(c) They are extraordinarily physically fit, which will serve them well in their travels.
(d) They are nothing special, and are quiet and humane.
10. The primitives' religious leader presses a young woman about what matter, eventually beating her?
(a) The Nature of Woman.
(b) The Power of Belial.
(c) The Suffering of Mankind.
(d) The Beauty of Nature.
11. Why was a gravedigger subjected to a punishment of twenty-five lashes?
(a) He tried to steal a corpse's ring for himself.
(b) He stepped on a grave.
(c) He tried to run away.
(d) He argued with the leader about the best way to dig up graves.
12. Which gravedigger apologizes to Dr. Poole by claiming that burying Dr. Poole was done only for fun?
13. How do the primitives mark women who have not produced a healthy baby during the season?
(a) By tattooing them on the shoulders.
(b) By shaving their heads.
(c) By writing "NO" on their clothing.
(d) By making them wear distinct earrings.
14. What does Dr. Poole tell Chief about why New Zealand was spared in the World War?
(a) Dr. Poole lies and states that most of New Zealand was destroyed.
(b) Dr. Poole refuses to admit he is from New Zealand.
(c) The country was deemed to not be of strategic value.
(d) Its citizens created a magical forcefield.
15. What ritual is held among the primitives as a protection against deformed babies?
(a) Belial's Feast.
(b) The Purification Ceremonies.
(c) The Devil's Dance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did William Tallis write "Ape and Essence"?
2. The lobby of the Cocktail Bar is filled with which group of people?
3. What is the name of Bob Briggs' wife?
4. Which book does Dr. Poole save from the book burning ordered by the Chief?
5. What is Rosie's career aspiration?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)