|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What derogatory name do primitive men call the primitive women who bear deformed babies?
(a) Vessel of the Unholy Spirit.
(b) Satan's Spawn.
(c) Tool of the Devil.
(d) Mistress of Belial.
2. According to a chorus of youths, what is "the chief end of Man"?
(a) To protect and shelter women.
(b) To die in an inferno of glory.
(c) To eat, drink, and be merry.
(d) To propitiate Belial.
3. What group of artists does Bob Briggs compare himself to in "Tallis"?
(a) The Impressionist Painters.
(b) The Romantic Poets.
(c) The Surrealist Writers.
(d) The Baroque Composers.
4. How does the narrator characterize the scientists from New Zealand?
(a) They were hand-selected as the most intelligent of mankind.
(b) They are extraordinarily physically fit, which will serve them well in their travels.
(c) They are nothing special, and are quiet and humane.
(d) They are petty and jealous, and given to fighting.
5. On which deity do the primitives blame their problems?
6. What does Dr. Poole tell Chief about why New Zealand was spared in the World War?
(a) Dr. Poole refuses to admit he is from New Zealand.
(b) Dr. Poole lies and states that most of New Zealand was destroyed.
(c) Its citizens created a magical forcefield.
(d) The country was deemed to not be of strategic value.
7. How does Dr. Poole convince the gravediggers to spare him from being buried alive?
(a) He offers to give his boat to them.
(b) He gives them several pieces of jewelry.
(c) He offers to fix their train.
(d) He offers to teach them to grow better crops.
8. Which book does Dr. Poole save from the book burning ordered by the Chief?
(a) A volume of Shelley's poetry.
(b) The Complete Works of William Shakespeare.
(c) Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities.
(d) A collection of letters and personal essays by Marcel Proust.
9. What destination have the team of scientists from New Zealand chosen?
10. At which location is Chief presented with a necklace made of bones?
(a) The Observatory.
(b) Pershing Square.
(c) Lincoln Park.
(d) The Cocktail Bar.
11. When Bob Briggs speaks about his personal history, how does the narrator react?
(a) The narrator is intrigued.
(b) The narrator is disgusted and leaves the room.
(c) The narrator is bored.
(d) The narrator is infuriated and punches Briggs.
12. By the time Cottonwood Ranch is visited, how long had William Tallis been dead?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) Four years.
(d) Two days.
13. Where did William Tallis prefer to be buried?
(a) In the desert.
(b) In the Hollywood Cemetery.
(c) In his homeland of Germany.
(d) At sea.
14. What is the name of the scientists' ship in Ape and Essence?
(a) The Canterbury.
(b) The Worchestershire.
(c) The Kiwi.
(d) The Flying Dutchman.
15. What kind of primate represents the "least among man," according to the narrator?
(a) The baboon.
(b) The chimpanzee.
(c) The gorilla.
(d) The cheeky monkey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Chief concerned that no women produced healthy babies this season?
2. Where is Cottonwood Ranch located?
3. Who kidnaps Dr. Poole?
4. In the beginning of the screenplay, baboons have gathered in what place?
5. The primitives' religious leader presses a young woman about what matter, eventually beating her?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)