|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Chief believe about the current level of discipline in the primitive community?
(a) He does not believe in the harsh discipline exacted by the religious leaders.
(b) He believes people should be more free to pursue their own interests.
(c) As he delivers discipline himself, he is quite pleased with the level of discipline.
(d) He believes the community lacks proper discipline.
2. What is the occupation of Bob Briggs?
(c) Retired military officer.
3. Who is living on Tallis' Cottonwood Ranch when it is visited by the filmmaker(s)?
(a) The Lublin family.
(b) The Coulton family.
(c) The Briggs family.
(d) The Tallis family.
4. What kind of primate represents the "least among man," according to the narrator?
(a) The gorilla.
(b) The chimpanzee.
(c) The cheeky monkey.
(d) The baboon.
5. Where do the narrator and Bob Briggs discover the screenplay at the heart of the novel?
(a) On the Canterbury ship.
(b) Outside the Studio Commissary.
(c) In Murcia, California.
(d) At Cottonwood Ranch.
6. According to the narrator, what was Gandhi's "great secret"?
(a) He was a great admirer of art and artists.
(b) The fact that he secretly yearned for power and glory.
(c) He was a serial adulterer.
(d) The fact that he did not want anything for himself.
7. What is the reader told about how the "Ape and Essence" script appears in the novel?
(a) Ape and Essence was heavily edited to improve dialogue and story.
(b) The names in the script were changed for legal reasons.
(c) The Ape and Essence appearing in the novel was created from a memory of the script itself.
(d) Ape and Essence was reprinted without change or comment.
8. Which is NOT part of the ceremony held to safeguard against having deformed babies?
(a) Women are pampered and treated to mineral baths.
(b) The Chief is presented with a token of the community's gratitude.
(c) Books are burned.
(d) A religious leader berates a young woman about the nature of woman.
9. Why was a gravedigger subjected to a punishment of twenty-five lashes?
(a) He tried to run away.
(b) He stepped on a grave.
(c) He argued with the leader about the best way to dig up graves.
(d) He tried to steal a corpse's ring for himself.
10. What surprises Chief about Dr. Poole's admission that he arrived on a boat?
(a) Chief feels boats are magic.
(b) The Chief is indifferent to Dr. Poole's admission.
(c) Chief feels only the devil rides on a boat.
(d) Chief is surprised New Zealand still had boats.
11. What is Rosie's career aspiration?
(c) Singer and actress.
12. Why is Chief concerned that no women produced healthy babies this season?
(a) The radioactivity has likely reached lethal levels.
(b) This shows that Belial is displeased with them.
(c) They will have no babies to sacrifice to the Devil.
(d) This represents a dearth of much-needed manpower.
13. Which of the following is true about the scientists' rediscovery of the world?
(a) Oil derricks can still be seen in the water outside of shore.
(b) The world is still highly radioactive, and the scientists must wear suits.
(c) They use sonar technology to find land.
(d) They crash-land because of a dense fog.
14. According to the narrator, truth without charity is not God but ___________.
(a) An idol.
(b) The Goddess.
(d) The Devil.
15. What is the subject of the song the female baboon sings?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator compares the beauty of the first image on screen in "Ape and Essence" to a poem by which poet?
2. Which great fear does Loola confide to Dr. Poole when they first meet?
3. What is the name of Loola's friend who recently gave birth to a deformed baby?
4. In the beginning of the screenplay, the narrator warns that "all too often" Art takes Nature and __________.
5. What is the first thing to appear in the "Ape and Essence" screenplay?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)