|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of the screenplay, the narrator warns that "all too often" Art takes Nature and __________.
(a) Produces only the sublime.
(b) Manufactures only the ludicrous.
(c) Denies all but the lowest organisms.
(d) Crafts only the wicked.
2. Why was a gravedigger subjected to a punishment of twenty-five lashes?
(a) He argued with the leader about the best way to dig up graves.
(b) He tried to steal a corpse's ring for himself.
(c) He stepped on a grave.
(d) He tried to run away.
3. What does Dr. Poole tell Chief about why New Zealand was spared in the World War?
(a) Dr. Poole refuses to admit he is from New Zealand.
(b) Dr. Poole lies and states that most of New Zealand was destroyed.
(c) Its citizens created a magical forcefield.
(d) The country was deemed to not be of strategic value.
4. How does Loola feel about the beating of the young woman at the hands of the primitives' religious leader?
(a) She feels it is necessary to maintain proper discipline.
(b) She feels it is all in good fun.
(c) She feels it is unjust and horrific.
(d) She is indifferent, having seen the ritual dozens of times.
5. What kind of primate represents the "least among man," according to the narrator?
(a) The baboon.
(b) The cheeky monkey.
(c) The chimpanzee.
(d) The gorilla.
6. What is the foundation of modern life to the narrator?
7. The narrator makes an analogy between Gandhi's nonviolence and what feature of Bob Brigg's life?
(a) His adultery.
(b) His gambling.
(c) His drinking.
(d) His writing.
8. What is the occupation of Bob Briggs?
(b) Retired military officer.
9. William Tallis died from ___________.
(a) A botched surgery.
(b) A hit-and-run car accident.
(c) A heart attack.
(d) Cancer of the throat.
10. What is the name for the primitives' religious leader?
(a) Vessel of the Unholy Spirit.
(b) Book Eater.
(c) The Satanic Science Practitioner.
(d) Right Hand of Belial.
11. William Tallis is from ____________.
(a) Murcia, California.
(b) Bakersfield, California.
(c) New Zealand.
(d) London, England.
12. What is Loola's nickname for Dr. Poole?
(a) Pooh Bear.
13. Why was Dr. Poole buried up to his waist by the gravediggers?
(a) He refused to fix the Chief's train.
(b) He used a swear word in front of the Chief.
(c) He punched a gravedigger trying to escape.
(d) He came on a boat, which the gravediggers consider evil.
14. Which scientist is leashed by a female baboon at the beginning of the screenplay?
(a) Isaac Newton.
(b) Albert Einstein.
(c) Michael Faraday.
(d) John "Mad Jack" Fuller.
15. How much does Bob owe the government in back taxes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Coulton believe about how the narrator and William Tallis might have gotten along?
2. Where does the granddaughter of William Tallis live?
3. How are the books incinerated in the Chief's book-burning ceremony?
4. Who is the author of the movie script at the heart of the novel's story?
5. What kind of primate represents the greatest among man, according to the narrator?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)