|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which great fear does Loola confide to Dr. Poole when they first meet?
(a) They will run out of food.
(b) She is slowly dying from radiation.
(c) She will bear a deformed baby.
(d) Chief will kill her.
2. What is Rosie's career aspiration?
(d) Singer and actress.
3. What is the name of Loola's friend who recently gave birth to a deformed baby?
4. William Tallis died from ___________.
(a) A botched surgery.
(b) A hit-and-run car accident.
(c) A heart attack.
(d) Cancer of the throat.
5. Where do the narrator and Bob Briggs meet at the outset of the novel?
(a) The Studio Commissary.
(b) The Hollywood Cemetery.
(c) Murcia, California.
(d) The Cottonwood Ranch.
6. What is the youngest gravedigger tempted by, which he must resist?
(a) A plump girl beside him.
(b) His leader's bacon sandwich.
(c) The large emerald ring of a corpse.
(d) The fine clothes of a corpse.
7. What is the name for the team of scientists at the heart of Ape and Essence?
(a) The California Knowledge Project.
(b) The Association for New Horizons.
(c) The Post-War Analysis Committee.
(d) The New Zealand Rediscovery Expedition.
8. Which scientist is leashed by a female baboon at the beginning of the screenplay?
(a) Michael Faraday.
(b) Isaac Newton.
(c) Albert Einstein.
(d) John "Mad Jack" Fuller.
9. Which is NOT part of the ceremony held to safeguard against having deformed babies?
(a) A religious leader berates a young woman about the nature of woman.
(b) The Chief is presented with a token of the community's gratitude.
(c) Women are pampered and treated to mineral baths.
(d) Books are burned.
10. What derogatory name do primitive men call the primitive women who bear deformed babies?
(a) Vessel of the Unholy Spirit.
(b) Satan's Spawn.
(c) Mistress of Belial.
(d) Tool of the Devil.
11. How does Dr. Poole become separated from his team?
(a) He stops to propose marriage to Miss Ethel Hook.
(b) He stops to observe an unusual species of plant.
(c) He becomes injured, and the others will not slow for him.
(d) He decides to confront the aggressive baboons in a nearby village.
12. On which deity do the primitives blame their problems?
13. Where is Cottonwood Ranch located?
(a) Murcia, California.
(b) Outside of Chicago, Illinois.
(c) New Zealand.
(d) Hollywood, California.
14. What became of William Tallis' second wife?
(a) She committed suicide after Mr. Tallis died.
(b) She died from cancer.
(c) She ran off with another man.
(d) She was persecuted for being Jewish and was killed.
15. Why was a gravedigger subjected to a punishment of twenty-five lashes?
(a) He stepped on a grave.
(b) He tried to run away.
(c) He tried to steal a corpse's ring for himself.
(d) He argued with the leader about the best way to dig up graves.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator compares the beauty of the first image on screen in "Ape and Essence" to a poem by which poet?
2. Why was New Zealand spared from the destruction that ravaged the rest of the planet?
3. What is the subject of the song the female baboon sings?
4. Why did William Tallis write "Ape and Essence"?
5. Who is the author of the movie script at the heart of the novel's story?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)