|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event resulted in the destruction of a majority of mankind in the screenplay?
(a) A deadly plague.
(b) Robots who turned on their masters.
(c) World War Three.
(d) Overpopulation of a poisonous frog.
2. Where is Cottonwood Ranch located?
(a) Murcia, California.
(b) Hollywood, California.
(c) New Zealand.
(d) Outside of Chicago, Illinois.
3. What is the name for the primitives' religious leader?
(a) Book Eater.
(b) Vessel of the Unholy Spirit.
(c) The Satanic Science Practitioner.
(d) Right Hand of Belial.
4. What is the name of Loola's friend who recently gave birth to a deformed baby?
5. What is Miss Ethel Hook's desire, with respect to Dr. Poole?
(a) She wishes Dr. Poole would leave the team and go back to New Zealand, for his own safety.
(b) She wishes Dr. Poole would drop dead.
(c) She wishes Dr. Poole would propose marriage to her.
(d) She wishes Dr. Poole would teach her more about the flora and fauna they discover.
6. When Bob Briggs speaks about his personal history, how does the narrator react?
(a) The narrator is infuriated and punches Briggs.
(b) The narrator is bored.
(c) The narrator is intrigued.
(d) The narrator is disgusted and leaves the room.
7. What does Mrs. Coulton believe about how the narrator and William Tallis might have gotten along?
(a) Their political differences would have proved too much for even a casual acquaintance.
(b) They would not have liked one another.
(c) They would have been indifferent to one another.
(d) They would have gotten along splendidly.
8. How do the primitives mark women who have not produced a healthy baby during the season?
(a) By writing "NO" on their clothing.
(b) By tattooing them on the shoulders.
(c) By shaving their heads.
(d) By making them wear distinct earrings.
9. What part of "Ape and Essence" makes Bob decide to read the entire script?
(a) Its opening poetry.
(b) Its glossy title page.
(c) Its professional hole punches and brads.
(d) The fact that it is in pristine, unopened condition.
10. Who kidnaps Dr. Poole?
(a) The Chief.
(b) Three baboons.
(c) Miss Ethel Hook.
(d) Three men.
11. How does Dr. Poole convince the gravediggers to spare him from being buried alive?
(a) He offers to teach them to grow better crops.
(b) He offers to fix their train.
(c) He offers to give his boat to them.
(d) He gives them several pieces of jewelry.
12. Who is the author of the movie script at the heart of the novel's story?
(a) Bob Briggs.
(b) William Tallis
(c) Dr. Alfred Poole.
(d) Lou Lublin.
13. What is the name for the team of scientists at the heart of Ape and Essence?
(a) The Association for New Horizons.
(b) The California Knowledge Project.
(c) The Post-War Analysis Committee.
(d) The New Zealand Rediscovery Expedition.
14. By the time Cottonwood Ranch is visited, how long had William Tallis been dead?
(a) Two days.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Eighteen months.
(d) Four years.
15. How do the primitives explain the men's propensity to hit women?
(a) Women deserve beatings for their inherent wickedness.
(b) Women are possessed by Belial.
(c) Women need to be toughened up to survive in the wilderness.
(d) Men are possessed by Belial.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the human condition, what does fear NOT cast out, according to the narrator?
2. Why is Chief concerned that no women produced healthy babies this season?
3. Where do the narrator and Bob Briggs discover the screenplay at the heart of the novel?
4. How is Chief able to keep a tight rein on Dr. Poole after meeting him?
5. William Tallis is from ____________.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)