|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the primitives unable to make clothes?
(a) They are religiously opposed to clothing.
(b) There is no machinery left to make clothes.
(c) Cotton has changed since the radioactivity of the World War.
(d) Only the Chief is allowed to wear clothes.
2. On which deity do the primitives blame their problems?
3. What does Dr. Schneeglock blame for Dr. Poole's lack of a fulfillment of his promise?
(a) Dr. Poole's mother died when he was only a baby.
(b) Dr. Poole still lives with his mother.
(c) Dr. Poole is a gambler with significant debts.
(d) Dr. Poole is promiscuous and cannot stay with one woman.
4. According to the narrator, truth without charity is not God but ___________.
(a) The Goddess.
(c) An idol.
(d) The Devil.
5. Who kidnaps Dr. Poole?
(a) Three baboons.
(b) Miss Ethel Hook.
(c) Three men.
(d) The Chief.
6. The narrator makes an analogy between Gandhi's nonviolence and what feature of Bob Brigg's life?
(a) His drinking.
(b) His adultery.
(c) His writing.
(d) His gambling.
7. When Bob Briggs speaks about his personal history, how does the narrator react?
(a) The narrator is infuriated and punches Briggs.
(b) The narrator is bored.
(c) The narrator is intrigued.
(d) The narrator is disgusted and leaves the room.
8. The primitives' religious leader presses a young woman about what matter, eventually beating her?
(a) The Beauty of Nature.
(b) The Suffering of Mankind.
(c) The Power of Belial.
(d) The Nature of Woman.
9. On which street corner does Chief order books to be incinerated?
(a) 5th Street and Pershing Square.
(b) Mausoleum Way and Hollywood Cemetery Square.
(c) Belial Avenue and Azrael Drive.
(d) 11th Street and Washington Boulevard.
10. Which scientist is leashed by a female baboon at the beginning of the screenplay?
(a) Albert Einstein.
(b) Michael Faraday.
(c) Isaac Newton.
(d) John "Mad Jack" Fuller.
11. How much does Bob owe the government in back taxes?
12. Which book does Dr. Poole save from the book burning ordered by the Chief?
(a) A volume of Shelley's poetry.
(b) Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities.
(c) The Complete Works of William Shakespeare.
(d) A collection of letters and personal essays by Marcel Proust.
13. What is the reader told about how the "Ape and Essence" script appears in the novel?
(a) Ape and Essence was heavily edited to improve dialogue and story.
(b) Ape and Essence was reprinted without change or comment.
(c) The names in the script were changed for legal reasons.
(d) The Ape and Essence appearing in the novel was created from a memory of the script itself.
14. Which great fear does Loola confide to Dr. Poole when they first meet?
(a) Chief will kill her.
(b) She is slowly dying from radiation.
(c) She will bear a deformed baby.
(d) They will run out of food.
15. What is the name for the team of scientists at the heart of Ape and Essence?
(a) The New Zealand Rediscovery Expedition.
(b) The Post-War Analysis Committee.
(c) The California Knowledge Project.
(d) The Association for New Horizons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which gravedigger apologizes to Dr. Poole by claiming that burying Dr. Poole was done only for fun?
2. Who leads the team of gravediggers at the Southern California mausoleum?
3. How does Loola feel about the beating of the young woman at the hands of the primitives' religious leader?
4. Why was a gravedigger subjected to a punishment of twenty-five lashes?
5. What is Rosie's career aspiration?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)