|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On which deity do the primitives blame their problems?
2. Why is Bob Briggs in financial trouble?
(a) He owes back taxes.
(b) His home was recently robbed.
(c) He has accrued gambling debts.
(d) He has made a series of poor investments.
3. Who is living on Tallis' Cottonwood Ranch when it is visited by the filmmaker(s)?
(a) The Tallis family.
(b) The Coulton family.
(c) The Lublin family.
(d) The Briggs family.
4. What is the name of the scientists' ship in Ape and Essence?
(a) The Flying Dutchman.
(b) The Worchestershire.
(c) The Canterbury.
(d) The Kiwi.
5. What does Dr. Poole tell Chief about why New Zealand was spared in the World War?
(a) The country was deemed to not be of strategic value.
(b) Dr. Poole refuses to admit he is from New Zealand.
(c) Its citizens created a magical forcefield.
(d) Dr. Poole lies and states that most of New Zealand was destroyed.
6. Who was NOT among the team of scientists from New Zealand?
(a) Professor Grampian.
(b) Dr. Canterbury.
(c) Miss Ethel Hook.
(d) Dr. Cudworth.
7. What became of William Tallis' second wife?
(a) She ran off with another man.
(b) She died from cancer.
(c) She committed suicide after Mr. Tallis died.
(d) She was persecuted for being Jewish and was killed.
8. What is the first thing to appear in the "Ape and Essence" screenplay?
(a) The ship called the Canterbury.
(b) The name of the producer.
(c) A gathering of baboons.
(d) The title.
9. What derogatory name do primitive men call the primitive women who bear deformed babies?
(a) Mistress of Belial.
(b) Vessel of the Unholy Spirit.
(c) Tool of the Devil.
(d) Satan's Spawn.
10. What is Rosie's career aspiration?
(a) Singer and actress.
11. What is the subject of the song the female baboon sings?
12. What surprises Chief about Dr. Poole's admission that he arrived on a boat?
(a) The Chief is indifferent to Dr. Poole's admission.
(b) Chief feels boats are magic.
(c) Chief feels only the devil rides on a boat.
(d) Chief is surprised New Zealand still had boats.
13. What kind of primate represents the "least among man," according to the narrator?
(a) The gorilla.
(b) The chimpanzee.
(c) The baboon.
(d) The cheeky monkey.
14. What group of artists does Bob Briggs compare himself to in "Tallis"?
(a) The Impressionist Painters.
(b) The Surrealist Writers.
(c) The Romantic Poets.
(d) The Baroque Composers.
15. Why was a gravedigger subjected to a punishment of twenty-five lashes?
(a) He stepped on a grave.
(b) He argued with the leader about the best way to dig up graves.
(c) He tried to steal a corpse's ring for himself.
(d) He tried to run away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event resulted in the destruction of a majority of mankind in the screenplay?
2. Who is the author of the movie script at the heart of the novel's story?
3. Why does the narrator of "Tallis" believe that Gandhi was assassinated?
4. The primitives' religious leader presses a young woman about what matter, eventually beating her?
5. Why was Dr. Poole buried up to his waist by the gravediggers?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)