|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which scientist is leashed by a female baboon at the beginning of the screenplay?
(a) Isaac Newton.
(b) Albert Einstein.
(c) Michael Faraday.
(d) John "Mad Jack" Fuller.
2. How are the books incinerated in the Chief's book-burning ceremony?
(a) In the fireplace of an abandoned mansion.
(b) In a large bonfire.
(c) The books are placed at regular intervals on the street and then lit individually.
(d) In a baker's oven.
3. The novel begins on what important day?
(a) The day John F. Kennedy was assassinated.
(b) The day World War II formally ended.
(c) The day Gandhi was assassinated.
(d) The day the U.S. stock market crashed.
4. How do the primitives explain the men's propensity to hit women?
(a) Women deserve beatings for their inherent wickedness.
(b) Women are possessed by Belial.
(c) Men are possessed by Belial.
(d) Women need to be toughened up to survive in the wilderness.
5. What destination have the team of scientists from New Zealand chosen?
6. What is the name for the team of scientists at the heart of Ape and Essence?
(a) The California Knowledge Project.
(b) The Post-War Analysis Committee.
(c) The Association for New Horizons.
(d) The New Zealand Rediscovery Expedition.
7. For how long have the primitives been raiding gravesites?
(a) Two hundred years.
(b) Four days.
(c) Thirty years.
(d) Six months.
8. Who is living on Tallis' Cottonwood Ranch when it is visited by the filmmaker(s)?
(a) The Lublin family.
(b) The Tallis family.
(c) The Briggs family.
(d) The Coulton family.
9. What promise does Bob make to Rosie?
(a) Bob agrees to never visit Cottonwood Ranch again.
(b) Bob agrees to introduce her to a powerful music executive.
(c) Bob agrees to schedule a screen test for her.
(d) Bob agrees to read her feature screenplay.
10. What group of artists does Bob Briggs compare himself to in "Tallis"?
(a) The Baroque Composers.
(b) The Impressionist Painters.
(c) The Romantic Poets.
(d) The Surrealist Writers.
11. Why is Chief concerned that no women produced healthy babies this season?
(a) They will have no babies to sacrifice to the Devil.
(b) The radioactivity has likely reached lethal levels.
(c) This shows that Belial is displeased with them.
(d) This represents a dearth of much-needed manpower.
12. Why was Dr. Poole buried up to his waist by the gravediggers?
(a) He refused to fix the Chief's train.
(b) He punched a gravedigger trying to escape.
(c) He came on a boat, which the gravediggers consider evil.
(d) He used a swear word in front of the Chief.
13. Where do the narrator and Bob Briggs meet at the outset of the novel?
(a) Murcia, California.
(b) The Studio Commissary.
(c) The Cottonwood Ranch.
(d) The Hollywood Cemetery.
14. Which of the following is true about the scientists' rediscovery of the world?
(a) The world is still highly radioactive, and the scientists must wear suits.
(b) They crash-land because of a dense fog.
(c) Oil derricks can still be seen in the water outside of shore.
(d) They use sonar technology to find land.
15. What is the name of Bob Briggs' wife?
(b) Miss Ethel Hook.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Coulton believe about how the narrator and William Tallis might have gotten along?
2. What part of "Ape and Essence" makes Bob decide to read the entire script?
3. How does Loola feel about the beating of the young woman at the hands of the primitives' religious leader?
4. How does Dr. Poole convince the gravediggers to spare him from being buried alive?
5. Why is Bob Briggs in financial trouble?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)