|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 4: The Script, pages 75-100.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the primitives explain the men's propensity to hit women?
(a) Women deserve beatings for their inherent wickedness.
(b) Women need to be toughened up to survive in the wilderness.
(c) Women are possessed by Belial.
(d) Men are possessed by Belial.
2. How are the books incinerated in the Chief's book-burning ceremony?
(a) The books are placed at regular intervals on the street and then lit individually.
(b) In a large bonfire.
(c) In the fireplace of an abandoned mansion.
(d) In a baker's oven.
3. What surprises Chief about Dr. Poole's admission that he arrived on a boat?
(a) The Chief is indifferent to Dr. Poole's admission.
(b) Chief feels only the devil rides on a boat.
(c) Chief feels boats are magic.
(d) Chief is surprised New Zealand still had boats.
4. How do the primitives mark women who have not produced a healthy baby during the season?
(a) By tattooing them on the shoulders.
(b) By making them wear distinct earrings.
(c) By shaving their heads.
(d) By writing "NO" on their clothing.
5. How does Dr. Poole convince the gravediggers to spare him from being buried alive?
(a) He offers to give his boat to them.
(b) He offers to teach them to grow better crops.
(c) He gives them several pieces of jewelry.
(d) He offers to fix their train.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what structure are the babies sacrificed?
2. What does Dr. Poole tell Chief about why New Zealand was spared in the World War?
3. How does the Arch Vicar respond when Dr. Poole expresses horror at the sight of blood at the sacrifice of the babies?
4. What is the name of Loola's friend who recently gave birth to a deformed baby?
5. What is the youngest gravedigger tempted by, which he must resist?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)