|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 3: The Script, pages 50-75.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Coulton believe about how the narrator and William Tallis might have gotten along?
(a) They would not have liked one another.
(b) They would have gotten along splendidly.
(c) Their political differences would have proved too much for even a casual acquaintance.
(d) They would have been indifferent to one another.
2. Which gravedigger apologizes to Dr. Poole by claiming that burying Dr. Poole was done only for fun?
3. How do the primitives explain the men's propensity to hit women?
(a) Women are possessed by Belial.
(b) Men are possessed by Belial.
(c) Women deserve beatings for their inherent wickedness.
(d) Women need to be toughened up to survive in the wilderness.
4. What is Miss Ethel Hook's desire, with respect to Dr. Poole?
(a) She wishes Dr. Poole would propose marriage to her.
(b) She wishes Dr. Poole would leave the team and go back to New Zealand, for his own safety.
(c) She wishes Dr. Poole would teach her more about the flora and fauna they discover.
(d) She wishes Dr. Poole would drop dead.
5. What ritual is held among the primitives as a protection against deformed babies?
(a) The Purification Ceremonies.
(c) Belial's Feast.
(d) The Devil's Dance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the narrator and Bob Briggs meet at the outset of the novel?
2. What surprises Chief about Dr. Poole's admission that he arrived on a boat?
3. What became of William Tallis' second wife?
4. Where is Cottonwood Ranch located?
5. How does Dr. Poole convince the gravediggers to spare him from being buried alive?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)