|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 3: The Script, pages 50-75.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the primitives explain the men's propensity to hit women?
(a) Women deserve beatings for their inherent wickedness.
(b) Women are possessed by Belial.
(c) Women need to be toughened up to survive in the wilderness.
(d) Men are possessed by Belial.
2. What is the first thing to appear in the "Ape and Essence" screenplay?
(a) The title.
(b) The ship called the Canterbury.
(c) The name of the producer.
(d) A gathering of baboons.
3. What is the leashed scientist beaten with by the female baboon holding him?
(a) A riding switch.
(b) A spatula.
(c) The Bible.
(d) A candlestick.
4. The novel begins on what important day?
(a) The day World War II formally ended.
(b) The day Gandhi was assassinated.
(c) The day John F. Kennedy was assassinated.
(d) The day the U.S. stock market crashed.
5. What is the reader told about how the "Ape and Essence" script appears in the novel?
(a) Ape and Essence was reprinted without change or comment.
(b) The Ape and Essence appearing in the novel was created from a memory of the script itself.
(c) Ape and Essence was heavily edited to improve dialogue and story.
(d) The names in the script were changed for legal reasons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the scientists' ship in Ape and Essence?
2. What destination have the team of scientists from New Zealand chosen?
3. Who kidnaps Dr. Poole?
4. Why did William Tallis write "Ape and Essence"?
5. How do the primitives mark women who have not produced a healthy baby during the season?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)