|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 3: The Script, pages 50-75.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is NOT part of the ceremony held to safeguard against having deformed babies?
(a) Women are pampered and treated to mineral baths.
(b) A religious leader berates a young woman about the nature of woman.
(c) The Chief is presented with a token of the community's gratitude.
(d) Books are burned.
2. Why does Dr. Poole claim he cannot fix the Chief's train?
(a) Dr. Poole does not possess the necessary engineering background.
(b) Dr. Poole would only fix the train if the Chief released Loola.
(c) Dr. Poole does not wish to help the Chief, whom he considers evil.
(d) Dr. Poole pretends he does not know how to fix the train to provide leverage for future negotiations.
3. Who decides to drive to Cottonwood Ranch to find William Tallis?
(a) Bob Briggs only.
(b) The narrator only.
(c) The narrator and Bob Briggs.
(d) The narrator, Bob Briggs, and Lou Lublin.
4. Why was a gravedigger subjected to a punishment of twenty-five lashes?
(a) He tried to run away.
(b) He tried to steal a corpse's ring for himself.
(c) He argued with the leader about the best way to dig up graves.
(d) He stepped on a grave.
5. Where do the narrator and Bob Briggs meet at the outset of the novel?
(a) The Cottonwood Ranch.
(b) Murcia, California.
(c) The Studio Commissary.
(d) The Hollywood Cemetery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Loola's nickname for Dr. Poole?
2. How does Dr. Poole convince the gravediggers to spare him from being buried alive?
3. What is the first thing to appear in the "Ape and Essence" screenplay?
4. Which book does Dr. Poole save from the book burning ordered by the Chief?
5. What promise does Bob make to Rosie?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)