|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 3: The Script, pages 50-75.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Coulton believe about how the narrator and William Tallis might have gotten along?
(a) They would have been indifferent to one another.
(b) They would have gotten along splendidly.
(c) They would not have liked one another.
(d) Their political differences would have proved too much for even a casual acquaintance.
2. According to a chorus of youths, what is "the chief end of Man"?
(a) To eat, drink, and be merry.
(b) To protect and shelter women.
(c) To die in an inferno of glory.
(d) To propitiate Belial.
3. What is the reader told about how the "Ape and Essence" script appears in the novel?
(a) Ape and Essence was heavily edited to improve dialogue and story.
(b) The Ape and Essence appearing in the novel was created from a memory of the script itself.
(c) The names in the script were changed for legal reasons.
(d) Ape and Essence was reprinted without change or comment.
4. The primitives' religious leader presses a young woman about what matter, eventually beating her?
(a) The Power of Belial.
(b) The Nature of Woman.
(c) The Beauty of Nature.
(d) The Suffering of Mankind.
5. What is the name of the scientists' ship in Ape and Essence?
(a) The Kiwi.
(b) The Worchestershire.
(c) The Canterbury.
(d) The Flying Dutchman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What became of William Tallis' immediate family?
2. Which gravedigger apologizes to Dr. Poole by claiming that burying Dr. Poole was done only for fun?
3. How is Chief able to keep a tight rein on Dr. Poole after meeting him?
4. What does Dr. Poole tell Chief about why New Zealand was spared in the World War?
5. On which street corner does Chief order books to be incinerated?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)