|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 1: Tallis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did William Tallis write "Ape and Essence"?
(a) He wanted to became a world-famous film director.
(b) He wrote the script on a bet with a friend.
(c) He wanted to warn people about the fluoride put in the nation's water supply.
(d) He wanted to earn money to send to his granddaughter.
2. The novel begins on what important day?
(a) The day World War II formally ended.
(b) The day Gandhi was assassinated.
(c) The day John F. Kennedy was assassinated.
(d) The day the U.S. stock market crashed.
3. Why is Bob Briggs in financial trouble?
(a) He has made a series of poor investments.
(b) His home was recently robbed.
(c) He has accrued gambling debts.
(d) He owes back taxes.
4. Where do the narrator and Bob Briggs discover the screenplay at the heart of the novel?
(a) In Murcia, California.
(b) On the Canterbury ship.
(c) At Cottonwood Ranch.
(d) Outside the Studio Commissary.
5. The narrator makes an analogy between Gandhi's nonviolence and what feature of Bob Brigg's life?
(a) His writing.
(b) His gambling.
(c) His adultery.
(d) His drinking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bob fears Elaine is cheating on him with which man?
2. Why does the narrator of "Tallis" believe that Gandhi was assassinated?
3. Where do the narrator and Bob Briggs meet at the outset of the novel?
4. What is the occupation of Bob Briggs?
5. What is the reader told about how the "Ape and Essence" script appears in the novel?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)