|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the President angry when he meets with Chris in Chapter 11?
2. What message does Beatrice receive from an anonymous caller at the beginning of Chapter 14?
3. What is Ikem's mood at the beginning of Chapter 11?
4. According to Professor Okong, why has the President been upset with both Chris and Ikem for the past two years?
5. What shocking news is given over the radio at the end of Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of hope for Africa's future expressed in the novel Anthills of the Savannah.
1) What is the significance of the name of Elewa's baby?
2) How is it significant that the baby was named by a group of people from different backgrounds, classes, and faiths--military, worker, academic, market-girl, Muslim, Christian, etc.?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Ikem's theory of "New Radicalism" as presented in his speech at the university.
1) What is the problem with the idea of a proletarian-led democracy?
2) Who needs to clean up their act before democracy can be achieved?
Essay Topic 3
Ikem says that "Writers don't give prescriptions, they give headaches."
1) Discuss what he means by this statement and tell whether you agree. Should writers provide solutions to the social problems they see, or is it their duty to simply bring these problems to light?
2) How does Ikem create "headaches" throughout the novel?
3) Do Ikem's headaches ever lead to solutions? If so, how?
This section contains 1,673 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)