|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ikem say when asked about plans to put the President's image on the national currency?
2. In what has Ikem lost his faith?
3. When the men show up unexpectedly at Ikem's house in Chapter 10, how do they greet Ikem?
4. What does Ikem say is the title of his speech?
5. What ceremony is Beatrice planning to hold in her apartment at the beginning of Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the use of West African Pidgin dialect in the dialogue.
1) Who uses the dialect? Why do some characters use it all the time while others switch back and forth?
2) What attitude is shown toward the dialect by various characters? For instance, consider how Ikem talks "deliberately over the head" of Elewa, and how Emmanuel speaks Pidgin to Adamma on the bus.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the "Desdemona complex."
1) Who suffers from the Desdemona complex?
2) Is the complex just about sex, or is it about the allure of the "Other" in all of its aspects? Explain.
3) What does the Desdemona complex suggest about the state of African identity in post colonial times?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of religion in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) Which religions are represented in the novel?
2) Compare and contrast the attitudes of Beatrice and Agatha toward their religions.
3) Nigeria is a country with three main religions: Christianity, Islam, and traditional animism. How is this religious diversity represented in the novel, particularly in the naming ceremony in Chapter 18?
This section contains 1,612 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)