|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ikem say when asked about plans to put the President's image on the national currency?
2. What shocking news do the travelers hear toward the end of Chapter 17?
3. What does Ikem imply about charity work while addressing the charitable Rotary Club several months before?
4. What is Ikem's opinion of worker leaders and students?
5. What message does Beatrice receive from an anonymous caller at the beginning of Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the use of proverbs and folk tales in the novel.
1) How do the proverbs and folk tales provide a counterpoint to "Western" knowledge?
2) Choose one or more of the proverbs or folk tales to analyze and show how it relates to a major theme of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
According to The New York Review of Books, the novel Anthills of the Savannah "has wonderful satiric moments and resounds with big African laughter." Write an essay discussing the humor in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Ikem's theory of "New Radicalism" as presented in his speech at the university.
1) What is the problem with the idea of a proletarian-led democracy?
2) Who needs to clean up their act before democracy can be achieved?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)