|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ikem, what do all poor people seem to want from their leaders?
2. Who is Ikem preparing to see in Chapter 10?
3. What does Chris ask for at a restaurant that he cannot get?
4. What are the rich and powerful like, according to Ikem?
5. What will Africa eventually have, according to the poem at the beginning of Chapter 10?
Essay Topic 1
According to The New York Review of Books, the novel Anthills of the Savannah "has wonderful satiric moments and resounds with big African laughter." Write an essay discussing the humor in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the idea of storytelling as a powerful tool.
1) Why, according to the Abazon elder, is the story of the battle more important than the battle itself?
2) Why, according to Ikem, are storytellers the enemies of tyrants?
3) How do Ikem's stories threaten the President? What change is he able to effect through them?
Essay Topic 3
One theme in the novel is the need for unity between people of different classes and faiths in order to create a better future for the nation. Write an essay exploring this theme in the novel.
This section contains 1,538 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)