Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people are present to hear the speech?
2. What should political leaders NOT do, according to Ikem?
3. What does Ikem imply about charity work while addressing the charitable Rotary Club several months before?
4. What has Ikem done in the past with his writing, according to the visitors?
5. What does Ikem say when asked about plans to put the President's image on the national currency?
Essay Topic 1
According to The New York Review of Books, the novel Anthills of the Savannah "has wonderful satiric moments and resounds with big African laughter." Write an essay discussing the humor in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Anthills of the Savannah has something in common with a traditional tragedy, in which pride brings about the downfall of a tragic hero. Write an essay examining Ikem, Sam, and Chris as tragic heroes who bring about their own downfall.
1) What does each man do that shows he is prideful or obstinate?
2) At what point could any of the three men have acted differently or made better choices to avoid their ultimate downfall?
3) Reflect on the inscription "Ife onye metalu" or ("What a man commits...") which is painted on the bus Chris escapes on. What significance does Chris see in this quote?
4) Consider Chris's choice of nominating Okong, a man he knew to be unscrupulous, as a minister in Sam's government. To what extent does this implicate Chris in the injustice of Sam's rule?
Essay Topic 3
Beatrice and Elewa are the two major female characters in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) Compare and contrast Beatrice and Elewa. How are they similar and different?
2) Is one of the women stronger than the other, or do they both have unique strengths?
3) Both women argue with Ikem over his treatment of women. Describe their arguments with Ikem. Which woman is better able to influence him?
4) How do these two women from very different backgrounds grow to become close friends?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)