|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ikem, what do all poor people seem to want from their leaders?
2. What common convenience can the poor people Chris is staying with not afford?
3. What is Ikem's opinion of worker leaders and students?
4. What does Ikem imply about charity work while addressing the charitable Rotary Club several months before?
5. Who is deported within forty-eight hours after Ikem's speech?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the use of proverbs and folk tales in the novel.
1) How do the proverbs and folk tales provide a counterpoint to "Western" knowledge?
2) Choose one or more of the proverbs or folk tales to analyze and show how it relates to a major theme of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay exploring the relationship between the classes as portrayed in Anthills of the Savannah. In your essay, analyze the interactions of the "elite" educated characters with the lower-class, uneducated ones.
Essay Topic 3
According to The New York Review of Books, the novel Anthills of the Savannah "has wonderful satiric moments and resounds with big African laughter." Write an essay discussing the humor in the novel.
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)