|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is prepared to go on strike to support Chris and protest Ikem's death?
2. Who is Ikem preparing to see in Chapter 10?
3. Which of the following does Beatrice realize about her servant, Agatha?
4. According to Ikem, who poses a threat to leadership?
5. What does Ikem say when asked about plans to put the President's image on the national currency?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ikem says that "Writers don't give prescriptions, they give headaches."
1) Discuss what he means by this statement and tell whether you agree. Should writers provide solutions to the social problems they see, or is it their duty to simply bring these problems to light?
2) How does Ikem create "headaches" throughout the novel?
3) Do Ikem's headaches ever lead to solutions? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of hope for Africa's future expressed in the novel Anthills of the Savannah.
1) What is the significance of the name of Elewa's baby?
2) How is it significant that the baby was named by a group of people from different backgrounds, classes, and faiths--military, worker, academic, market-girl, Muslim, Christian, etc.?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Ikem's theory of "New Radicalism" as presented in his speech at the university.
1) What is the problem with the idea of a proletarian-led democracy?
2) Who needs to clean up their act before democracy can be achieved?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)