|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes unexpectedly to see Ikem at his home in Chapter 10?
2. What does Chris's death teach Emmanuel?
3. What will Africa eventually have, according to the poem at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. What does Chris realize at the end of Chapter 15?
5. What type of government is proposed by one of the audience members?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ikem says at one point that the President is well meaning and will do the right thing if he is told what the right thing is. To what extent is this true?
1) The people around the President fear him and tell him what they think he wants to hear. Does this make them equally guilty for making him into a tyrant? Would he be less of a tyrant if people would stand up to him?
2) Chris says that Ikem's editorials accomplish nothing but aggravating people. Is he right? When, if ever, has the President taken action based on Ikem's urgings?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Ikem's theory of "New Radicalism" as presented in his speech at the university.
1) What is the problem with the idea of a proletarian-led democracy?
2) Who needs to clean up their act before democracy can be achieved?
Essay Topic 3
Chris and Ikem are former schoolmates who end up in high positions in the government, but handle their responsibility in different ways.
1) Compare and contrast Chris and Ikem. How are they different in terms of personality, motivation, and in the way they react to the growing power of their friend the President?
2) Which character do you think has more integrity? Which character is wiser or more practical?
This section contains 1,610 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)