|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the visitors say they have heard about Ikem?
2. Who does Ikem point out is not in the audience?
3. Who is Ikem preparing to see in Chapter 10?
4. Who is prepared to go on strike to support Chris and protest Ikem's death?
5. Who comes unexpectedly to see Ikem at his home in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme in the novel is the need for unity between people of different classes and faiths in order to create a better future for the nation. Write an essay exploring this theme in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of hope for Africa's future expressed in the novel Anthills of the Savannah.
1) What is the significance of the name of Elewa's baby?
2) How is it significant that the baby was named by a group of people from different backgrounds, classes, and faiths--military, worker, academic, market-girl, Muslim, Christian, etc.?
Essay Topic 3
Ikem says at one point that the President is well meaning and will do the right thing if he is told what the right thing is. To what extent is this true?
1) The people around the President fear him and tell him what they think he wants to hear. Does this make them equally guilty for making him into a tyrant? Would he be less of a tyrant if people would stand up to him?
2) Chris says that Ikem's editorials accomplish nothing but aggravating people. Is he right? When, if ever, has the President taken action based on Ikem's urgings?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)