|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What common convenience can the poor people Chris is staying with not afford?
2. What do the visitors say they have heard about Ikem?
3. What do members of the Civil Service Union say about Ikem Osodi?
4. Who names Elewa's baby?
5. According to Professor Okong, why has the President been upset with both Chris and Ikem for the past two years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anthills of the Savannah describes a country under the rule of an increasingly tyrannical dictator. Describe the various ways in which the dictator exerts control over his Cabinet and over the people.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the "Desdemona complex."
1) Who suffers from the Desdemona complex?
2) Is the complex just about sex, or is it about the allure of the "Other" in all of its aspects? Explain.
3) What does the Desdemona complex suggest about the state of African identity in post colonial times?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the use of West African Pidgin dialect in the dialogue.
1) Who uses the dialect? Why do some characters use it all the time while others switch back and forth?
2) What attitude is shown toward the dialect by various characters? For instance, consider how Ikem talks "deliberately over the head" of Elewa, and how Emmanuel speaks Pidgin to Adamma on the bus.
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)