|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chris find when he goes to Ikem's apartment?
2. What do members of the Civil Service Union say about Ikem Osodi?
3. Who will make the journey with Chris?
4. Who does Ikem point out is not in the audience?
5. Why is the President angry when he meets with Chris in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the "Desdemona complex."
1) Who suffers from the Desdemona complex?
2) Is the complex just about sex, or is it about the allure of the "Other" in all of its aspects? Explain.
3) What does the Desdemona complex suggest about the state of African identity in post colonial times?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the use of West African Pidgin dialect in the dialogue.
1) Who uses the dialect? Why do some characters use it all the time while others switch back and forth?
2) What attitude is shown toward the dialect by various characters? For instance, consider how Ikem talks "deliberately over the head" of Elewa, and how Emmanuel speaks Pidgin to Adamma on the bus.
Essay Topic 3
According to The New York Review of Books, the novel Anthills of the Savannah "has wonderful satiric moments and resounds with big African laughter." Write an essay discussing the humor in the novel.
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)