|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ikem liken himself to at the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. What typically happens at police and army checkpoints?
3. How does the landscape change as the bus continues on its journey?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 16, where is Chris planning to travel?
5. What type of government is proposed by one of the audience members?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the use of West African Pidgin dialect in the dialogue.
1) Who uses the dialect? Why do some characters use it all the time while others switch back and forth?
2) What attitude is shown toward the dialect by various characters? For instance, consider how Ikem talks "deliberately over the head" of Elewa, and how Emmanuel speaks Pidgin to Adamma on the bus.
Essay Topic 2
Anthills of the Savannah describes a country under the rule of an increasingly tyrannical dictator. Describe the various ways in which the dictator exerts control over his Cabinet and over the people.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the "Desdemona complex."
1) Who suffers from the Desdemona complex?
2) Is the complex just about sex, or is it about the allure of the "Other" in all of its aspects? Explain.
3) What does the Desdemona complex suggest about the state of African identity in post colonial times?
This section contains 1,635 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)