|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men who visit Ikem want from him?
2. What does Chris want to do?
3. Who is Emmanuel?
4. What makes Chris smile as he dies?
5. In Chapter 11, what does the President demand Chris do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the idea of storytelling as a powerful tool.
1) Why, according to the Abazon elder, is the story of the battle more important than the battle itself?
2) Why, according to Ikem, are storytellers the enemies of tyrants?
3) How do Ikem's stories threaten the President? What change is he able to effect through them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the critique of male chauvinism in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) How are the female characters presented--are they equals to men?
2) Which characters display sexist or chauvinist attitudes?
3) How does Beatrice experience male chauvinism in her life, as recounted in Chapter 7, and how does she confront Ikem about his sexist attitudes?
4) How are females presented in traditional African folk tales about the Sky and Idemili?
5) What, if any, significance is there in the fact that Chris dies while defending a young woman from being raped?
Essay Topic 3
One theme in the novel is the need for unity between people of different classes and faiths in order to create a better future for the nation. Write an essay exploring this theme in the novel.
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)