|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 16, where is Chris planning to travel?
2. What does Ikem say when asked about plans to put the President's image on the national currency?
3. What makes Chris smile as he dies?
4. When the men show up unexpectedly at Ikem's house in Chapter 10, how do they greet Ikem?
5. What will Africa eventually have, according to the poem at the beginning of Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the "Desdemona complex."
1) Who suffers from the Desdemona complex?
2) Is the complex just about sex, or is it about the allure of the "Other" in all of its aspects? Explain.
3) What does the Desdemona complex suggest about the state of African identity in post colonial times?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of religion in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) Which religions are represented in the novel?
2) Compare and contrast the attitudes of Beatrice and Agatha toward their religions.
3) Nigeria is a country with three main religions: Christianity, Islam, and traditional animism. How is this religious diversity represented in the novel, particularly in the naming ceremony in Chapter 18?
Essay Topic 3
Chris and Ikem are former schoolmates who end up in high positions in the government, but handle their responsibility in different ways.
1) Compare and contrast Chris and Ikem. How are they different in terms of personality, motivation, and in the way they react to the growing power of their friend the President?
2) Which character do you think has more integrity? Which character is wiser or more practical?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)