|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ikem liken himself to at the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. Which of the following is true about Elewa?
3. What does Ikem offer the soldier who stops him for questioning?
4. According to Ikem, who poses a threat to leadership?
5. What does Chris's death teach Emmanuel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the use of West African Pidgin dialect in the dialogue.
1) Who uses the dialect? Why do some characters use it all the time while others switch back and forth?
2) What attitude is shown toward the dialect by various characters? For instance, consider how Ikem talks "deliberately over the head" of Elewa, and how Emmanuel speaks Pidgin to Adamma on the bus.
Essay Topic 2
Beatrice and Elewa are the two major female characters in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) Compare and contrast Beatrice and Elewa. How are they similar and different?
2) Is one of the women stronger than the other, or do they both have unique strengths?
3) Both women argue with Ikem over his treatment of women. Describe their arguments with Ikem. Which woman is better able to influence him?
4) How do these two women from very different backgrounds grow to become close friends?
Essay Topic 3
Anthills of the Savannah has something in common with a traditional tragedy, in which pride brings about the downfall of a tragic hero. Write an essay examining Ikem, Sam, and Chris as tragic heroes who bring about their own downfall.
1) What does each man do that shows he is prideful or obstinate?
2) At what point could any of the three men have acted differently or made better choices to avoid their ultimate downfall?
3) Reflect on the inscription "Ife onye metalu" or ("What a man commits...") which is painted on the bus Chris escapes on. What significance does Chris see in this quote?
4) Consider Chris's choice of nominating Okong, a man he knew to be unscrupulous, as a minister in Sam's government. To what extent does this implicate Chris in the injustice of Sam's rule?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)