|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 16, where is Chris planning to travel?
2. What shocking news is given over the radio at the end of Chapter 11?
3. What does Elewa say about Ikem's car?
4. To what does Chris compare himself, Ikem, and the President?
5. The visitors call Ikem "oga." What do you guess is the meaning of that word?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the critique of male chauvinism in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) How are the female characters presented--are they equals to men?
2) Which characters display sexist or chauvinist attitudes?
3) How does Beatrice experience male chauvinism in her life, as recounted in Chapter 7, and how does she confront Ikem about his sexist attitudes?
4) How are females presented in traditional African folk tales about the Sky and Idemili?
5) What, if any, significance is there in the fact that Chris dies while defending a young woman from being raped?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the use of proverbs and folk tales in the novel.
1) How do the proverbs and folk tales provide a counterpoint to "Western" knowledge?
2) Choose one or more of the proverbs or folk tales to analyze and show how it relates to a major theme of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring the relationship between the classes as portrayed in Anthills of the Savannah. In your essay, analyze the interactions of the "elite" educated characters with the lower-class, uneducated ones.
This section contains 1,607 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)