|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocking news is given over the radio at the end of Chapter 11?
2. What happens to Ikem Osodi?
3. Who names Elewa's baby?
4. What is Ikem's opinion of worker leaders and students?
5. What is a main point of Ikem's speech?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about lies and dishonesty in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) What lies are told to the Abazonians regarding the President's bid to become dictator-for-life, as told by the Abazon elder in Chapter 9?
2) What lies are told about Ikem and the circumstances surrounding his death?
3) What lies are told about the President's disappearance?
Essay Topic 2
One theme in the novel is the need for unity between people of different classes and faiths in order to create a better future for the nation. Write an essay exploring this theme in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the use of West African Pidgin dialect in the dialogue.
1) Who uses the dialect? Why do some characters use it all the time while others switch back and forth?
2) What attitude is shown toward the dialect by various characters? For instance, consider how Ikem talks "deliberately over the head" of Elewa, and how Emmanuel speaks Pidgin to Adamma on the bus.
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)