|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Ikem Osodi?
2. What do the men who visit Ikem want from him?
3. What ceremony is Beatrice planning to hold in her apartment at the beginning of Chapter 18?
4. What other piece of false information is given by the newspaper about Chris?
5. What shocking news do the travelers hear toward the end of Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the use of proverbs and folk tales in the novel.
1) How do the proverbs and folk tales provide a counterpoint to "Western" knowledge?
2) Choose one or more of the proverbs or folk tales to analyze and show how it relates to a major theme of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the "Desdemona complex."
1) Who suffers from the Desdemona complex?
2) Is the complex just about sex, or is it about the allure of the "Other" in all of its aspects? Explain.
3) What does the Desdemona complex suggest about the state of African identity in post colonial times?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the critique of male chauvinism in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) How are the female characters presented--are they equals to men?
2) Which characters display sexist or chauvinist attitudes?
3) How does Beatrice experience male chauvinism in her life, as recounted in Chapter 7, and how does she confront Ikem about his sexist attitudes?
4) How are females presented in traditional African folk tales about the Sky and Idemili?
5) What, if any, significance is there in the fact that Chris dies while defending a young woman from being raped?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)