|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chris die?
2. What is the meaning of Amaechina, the name of Elewa and Ikem's baby girl?
3. According to Ikem, what do all poor people seem to want from their leaders?
4. What happens to the President?
5. Which of the following is true about Elewa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the idea of storytelling as a powerful tool.
1) Why, according to the Abazon elder, is the story of the battle more important than the battle itself?
2) Why, according to Ikem, are storytellers the enemies of tyrants?
3) How do Ikem's stories threaten the President? What change is he able to effect through them?
Essay Topic 2
Anthills of the Savannah describes a country under the rule of an increasingly tyrannical dictator. Describe the various ways in which the dictator exerts control over his Cabinet and over the people.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of religion in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) Which religions are represented in the novel?
2) Compare and contrast the attitudes of Beatrice and Agatha toward their religions.
3) Nigeria is a country with three main religions: Christianity, Islam, and traditional animism. How is this religious diversity represented in the novel, particularly in the naming ceremony in Chapter 18?
This section contains 1,640 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)