|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which American poet does Ikem quote when he says, "Do I contradict myself? Very well, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes"?
2. What does Chris say about Ikem's crusading editorials?
3. How does Beatrice feel about Ikem?
4. What is the SRC?
5. Which best describes the religion practiced by Agatha?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Elewa angry with Ikem? Do you think she has a right to be angry?
2. Explain the meaning of the poem "Africa" by David Diop, which appears at the beginning of Chapter 10.
3. Who are the cab drivers who come to see Ikem, and why have they come?
4. The Abazon elder asks what is most important in a war--the battle-drum, the waging of the war, or the story afterwards. Tell which he thinks is most important, and why. What is the point of his analogy?
5. Who is Idemili and what does the folk tale about her convey about female power?
6. Why do most well-off city dwellers from Bassa never travel to the north of the country by bus?
7. What is Ikem's opinion of labor leaders?
8. Why must Chris leave the city?
9. Describe the case of Mad Medico and Dr. Ofe. Why does the President's response to the crisis give Ikem hope?
10. Why is Beatrice angry with Chris? Does she have a right to be angry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Beatrice and Elewa are the two major female characters in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) Compare and contrast Beatrice and Elewa. How are they similar and different?
2) Is one of the women stronger than the other, or do they both have unique strengths?
3) Both women argue with Ikem over his treatment of women. Describe their arguments with Ikem. Which woman is better able to influence him?
4) How do these two women from very different backgrounds grow to become close friends?
Essay Topic 2
Ikem says at one point that the President is well meaning and will do the right thing if he is told what the right thing is. To what extent is this true?
1) The people around the President fear him and tell him what they think he wants to hear. Does this make them equally guilty for making him into a tyrant? Would he be less of a tyrant if people would stand up to him?
2) Chris says that Ikem's editorials accomplish nothing but aggravating people. Is he right? When, if ever, has the President taken action based on Ikem's urgings?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the critique of male chauvinism in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) How are the female characters presented--are they equals to men?
2) Which characters display sexist or chauvinist attitudes?
3) How does Beatrice experience male chauvinism in her life, as recounted in Chapter 7, and how does she confront Ikem about his sexist attitudes?
4) How are females presented in traditional African folk tales about the Sky and Idemili?
5) What, if any, significance is there in the fact that Chris dies while defending a young woman from being raped?
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)