|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Ikem compose a hymn?
2. Which best describes Elewa's personality?
3. The fight between the President and the people of Abazon is likened to the struggle between which two animals?
4. Which best describes the Commissioners' attitude toward the President as shown throughout Chapter 1?
5. What advice does old President Ngongo once give to the President?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the meaning of the poem "Africa" by David Diop, which appears at the beginning of Chapter 10.
2. Explain how Chris is able to fool the police at a security checkpoint.
3. Describe the confrontation between Ikem and the taxi driver in Chapter 3. What does it reveal about Ikem's character?
4. What is Ikem's opinion of labor leaders?
5. How, according to Ikem, do working-class people expect their leaders to live?
6. Describe Mad Medico's relationship to the President and his attitude toward him.
7. Why is the President so angry with Ikem?
8. Why, according to Chris, is it so difficult to resolve the conflicts between Ikem and himself?
9. What do the cab drivers think of Ikem?
10. Explain the argument between Ikem and Chris at the beginning of Chapter 3. Who has more integrity, Ikem or Chris, and what does their argument reveal about the state of the free press in Kangan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the idea of storytelling as a powerful tool.
1) Why, according to the Abazon elder, is the story of the battle more important than the battle itself?
2) Why, according to Ikem, are storytellers the enemies of tyrants?
3) How do Ikem's stories threaten the President? What change is he able to effect through them?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the use of West African Pidgin dialect in the dialogue.
1) Who uses the dialect? Why do some characters use it all the time while others switch back and forth?
2) What attitude is shown toward the dialect by various characters? For instance, consider how Ikem talks "deliberately over the head" of Elewa, and how Emmanuel speaks Pidgin to Adamma on the bus.
Essay Topic 3
Chris and Ikem are former schoolmates who end up in high positions in the government, but handle their responsibility in different ways.
1) Compare and contrast Chris and Ikem. How are they different in terms of personality, motivation, and in the way they react to the growing power of their friend the President?
2) Which character do you think has more integrity? Which character is wiser or more practical?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)