|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lou Cranford?
2. According to Ikem, which is the biggest single group of oppressed people in the world?
3. Who does the Attorney-General say may not be one hundred percent behind the President?
4. What is the meaning of NTBB?
5. When Beatrice awakens the morning after her argument with the President, what does she hear a bird singing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Abazon leaders fail to support the President's bid to become dictator-for-life, and what does the President do in response to their lack of support?
2. Why is Elewa angry with Ikem? Do you think she has a right to be angry?
3. Explain the story of the leopard and the tortoise. Why does the Abazon elder tell this story?
4. What is meant by the "Desdemona complex," and how does it apply to the President's behavior at the party?
5. Describe the male chauvinism in Beatrice's childhood home.
6. To whom are storytellers a threat, according to Ikem?
7. Why must Chris leave the city?
8. Whom does Okong warn the President about?
9. Describe the relationship between the President and his ministers of government, as revealed in Chapter 1.
10. Why, according to Chris, is it so difficult to resolve the conflicts between Ikem and himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of religion in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) Which religions are represented in the novel?
2) Compare and contrast the attitudes of Beatrice and Agatha toward their religions.
3) Nigeria is a country with three main religions: Christianity, Islam, and traditional animism. How is this religious diversity represented in the novel, particularly in the naming ceremony in Chapter 18?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay exploring the relationship between the classes as portrayed in Anthills of the Savannah. In your essay, analyze the interactions of the "elite" educated characters with the lower-class, uneducated ones.
Essay Topic 3
Beatrice and Elewa are the two major female characters in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) Compare and contrast Beatrice and Elewa. How are they similar and different?
2) Is one of the women stronger than the other, or do they both have unique strengths?
3) Both women argue with Ikem over his treatment of women. Describe their arguments with Ikem. Which woman is better able to influence him?
4) How do these two women from very different backgrounds grow to become close friends?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)