Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a crime problem in the city now, much feared by Elewa?
2. In Chapter 3, who does Ikem say must be overthrown?
3. Who is Mad Medico?
4. What is the SRC?
5. What does Chris's girlfriend study at the university?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message about women is portrayed in the African folk tale about why the sky is far away from the earth?
2. Explain how the President came to power and why he needed Christopher Oriko's help.
3. Describe the relationship between the President and his ministers of government, as revealed in Chapter 1.
4. According to Chris, why does Ikem resent him so much?
5. Describe the case of Mad Medico and Dr. Ofe. Why does the President's response to the crisis give Ikem hope?
6. Interpret Chris's dying words, "the last green."
7. Describe the American reporter's manner at the party. Why does Beatrice dislike her?
8. Why, according to Chris, does the President begin to distance himself from Ikem and Chris?
9. What is meant by the "Desdemona complex," and how does it apply to the President's behavior at the party?
10. How, according to Ikem, do working-class people expect their leaders to live?
Essay Topic 1
The President, Sam, is not presented as a one-dimensional tyrant. Rather, he is a complex character with many positive and negative qualities. Write an essay exploring the development of this complex character.
1) What picture do we get of the President in Chapter 1? What are the negative traits of the President? What does Chris admit is a positive trait?
2) What insight do we gain about the President from his point of view in Chapter 2?
3) What is Sam like as a younger man, according to Mad Medico?
4) How, according to Ikem, does Sam change after coming to power? In what sense is he like an actor playing a part?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the "Desdemona complex."
1) Who suffers from the Desdemona complex?
2) Is the complex just about sex, or is it about the allure of the "Other" in all of its aspects? Explain.
3) What does the Desdemona complex suggest about the state of African identity in post colonial times?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about lies and dishonesty in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) What lies are told to the Abazonians regarding the President's bid to become dictator-for-life, as told by the Abazon elder in Chapter 9?
2) What lies are told about Ikem and the circumstances surrounding his death?
3) What lies are told about the President's disappearance?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)