Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a crime problem in the city now, much feared by Elewa?
2. In Chapter 3, who does Ikem say must be overthrown?
3. Who is Mad Medico?
4. What is the SRC?
5. What does Chris's girlfriend study at the university?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message about women is portrayed in the African folk tale about why the sky is far away from the earth?
2. Explain how the President came to power and why he needed Christopher Oriko's help.
3. Describe the relationship between the President and his ministers of government, as revealed in Chapter 1.
4. According to Chris, why does Ikem resent him so much?
5. Describe the case of Mad Medico and Dr. Ofe. Why does the President's response to the crisis give Ikem hope?
6. Interpret Chris's dying words, "the last green."
7. Describe the American reporter's manner at the party. Why does Beatrice dislike her?
8. Why, according to Chris, does the President begin to distance himself from Ikem and Chris?
9. What is meant by the "Desdemona complex," and how does it apply to the President's behavior at the party?
10. How, according to Ikem, do working-class people expect their leaders to live?
Essay Topic 1
Ikem says that "Writers don't give prescriptions, they give headaches."
1) Discuss what he means by this statement and tell whether you agree. Should writers provide solutions to the social problems they see, or is it their duty to simply bring these problems to light?
2) How does Ikem create "headaches" throughout the novel?
3) Do Ikem's headaches ever lead to solutions? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the critique of male chauvinism in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) How are the female characters presented--are they equals to men?
2) Which characters display sexist or chauvinist attitudes?
3) How does Beatrice experience male chauvinism in her life, as recounted in Chapter 7, and how does she confront Ikem about his sexist attitudes?
4) How are females presented in traditional African folk tales about the Sky and Idemili?
5) What, if any, significance is there in the fact that Chris dies while defending a young woman from being raped?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the use of West African Pidgin dialect in the dialogue.
1) Who uses the dialect? Why do some characters use it all the time while others switch back and forth?
2) What attitude is shown toward the dialect by various characters? For instance, consider how Ikem talks "deliberately over the head" of Elewa, and how Emmanuel speaks Pidgin to Adamma on the bus.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)