|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Beatrice educated?
2. When Beatrice awakens the morning after her argument with the President, what does she hear a bird singing?
3. What does the Attorney-General claim the people of the nation want from the President?
4. What have the Abazonians heard about Ikem?
5. How does Mad Medico address the President?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does their stay at Braimoh's house teach Chris and Beatrice about the way the poor live?
2. What does the "Sun of April" represent in Ikem's allegory, and what does the allegory imply about the state of affairs in Kangan?
3. Describe Mad Medico's relationship to the President and his attitude toward him.
4. Explain the meaning of the poem "Africa" by David Diop, which appears at the beginning of Chapter 10.
5. In what ways is the naming ceremony untraditional?
6. How, according to Ikem, do working-class people expect their leaders to live?
7. Describe Mr. So Therefore and how he got his nickname. What seems to be the attitude toward spousal abuse in Kangan?
8. Describe the relationship between the President and his ministers of government, as revealed in Chapter 1.
9. The Abazon elder asks what is most important in a war--the battle-drum, the waging of the war, or the story afterwards. Tell which he thinks is most important, and why. What is the point of his analogy?
10. What meaning does Chris find in the inscription "What a man commits," which is painted on the back of the bus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anthills of the Savannah describes a country under the rule of an increasingly tyrannical dictator. Describe the various ways in which the dictator exerts control over his Cabinet and over the people.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the critique of male chauvinism in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) How are the female characters presented--are they equals to men?
2) Which characters display sexist or chauvinist attitudes?
3) How does Beatrice experience male chauvinism in her life, as recounted in Chapter 7, and how does she confront Ikem about his sexist attitudes?
4) How are females presented in traditional African folk tales about the Sky and Idemili?
5) What, if any, significance is there in the fact that Chris dies while defending a young woman from being raped?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about lies and dishonesty in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) What lies are told to the Abazonians regarding the President's bid to become dictator-for-life, as told by the Abazon elder in Chapter 9?
2) What lies are told about Ikem and the circumstances surrounding his death?
3) What lies are told about the President's disappearance?
This section contains 2,284 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)