|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chris do that angers Ikem in Chapter 3?
2. What does Ikem religiously avoid?
3. Who is Ikem Osodi?
4. What is one of Beatrice's nicknames?
5. Which best describes Beatrice's attitude as she is being driven to the dinner at the beginning of Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ikem's opinion of labor leaders?
2. Why is Chris's death ironic, considering the news the group has just heard?
3. Why do most well-off city dwellers from Bassa never travel to the north of the country by bus?
4. What does Ikem urge the students to do?
5. Describe the American reporter's manner at the party. Why does Beatrice dislike her?
6. How does the National Gazette distort Ikem's words to make him seem guilty? What lies are told about his death?
7. What does the "Sun of April" represent in Ikem's allegory, and what does the allegory imply about the state of affairs in Kangan?
8. How is Beatrice portrayed in the media? How does she think of herself?
9. Explain the argument between Ikem and Chris at the beginning of Chapter 3. Who has more integrity, Ikem or Chris, and what does their argument reveal about the state of the free press in Kangan?
10. Why is Beatrice angry with Chris? Does she have a right to be angry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay exploring the relationship between the classes as portrayed in Anthills of the Savannah. In your essay, analyze the interactions of the "elite" educated characters with the lower-class, uneducated ones.
Essay Topic 2
Ikem says that "Writers don't give prescriptions, they give headaches."
1) Discuss what he means by this statement and tell whether you agree. Should writers provide solutions to the social problems they see, or is it their duty to simply bring these problems to light?
2) How does Ikem create "headaches" throughout the novel?
3) Do Ikem's headaches ever lead to solutions? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Beatrice and Elewa are the two major female characters in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) Compare and contrast Beatrice and Elewa. How are they similar and different?
2) Is one of the women stronger than the other, or do they both have unique strengths?
3) Both women argue with Ikem over his treatment of women. Describe their arguments with Ikem. Which woman is better able to influence him?
4) How do these two women from very different backgrounds grow to become close friends?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)