|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Chris's girlfriend?
2. Which best describes Ikem's apparent attitude toward women, as explained by Chris in Chapter 5?
3. Why is Beatrice angry with Chris in Chapter 8?
4. On what pretext does a police constable detain Ikem as he leaves the meeting at the end of Chapter 9?
5. Which best describes the religion practiced by Agatha?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is meant by the "Desdemona complex," and how does it apply to the President's behavior at the party?
2. Why does Agatha refuse to serve Elewa? What does the incident suggest about class differences in their society?
3. In what ways is the naming ceremony untraditional?
4. Describe the American reporter's manner at the party. Why does Beatrice dislike her?
5. Why do most well-off city dwellers from Bassa never travel to the north of the country by bus?
6. Describe Professor Okong.
7. Why is Beatrice unhappy about the dinner invitation from the President?
8. Describe the confrontation between Ikem and the taxi driver in Chapter 3. What does it reveal about Ikem's character?
9. Why is Elewa angry with Ikem? Do you think she has a right to be angry?
10. According to Chris, why does Ikem resent him so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme in the novel is the conflict between modern and traditional African cultures. Explore this conflict or dichotomy, considering the following questions:
1) How is modern culture contrasted with the traditional one in Chapter 3 as we go from a scene in traffic to a very mythical story of "Hymn to the Sun"?
2) Beatrice does not know much about traditional culture and is ignorant of myths such as the rather feminist story of Idemili. Why is this a bad thing?
3) What wisdom is possessed by the Abazon elders and how is this contrasted with the wisdom, or lack thereof, in the university group Ikem speaks to?
4) In what sense does Beatrice seem to have two people inside her--the prophetess and the modern, educated woman?
5) How do traditional and modern clash in the baby-naming ceremony in Chapter 18, and how is the conflict resolved?
Essay Topic 2
Chris and Ikem are former schoolmates who end up in high positions in the government, but handle their responsibility in different ways.
1) Compare and contrast Chris and Ikem. How are they different in terms of personality, motivation, and in the way they react to the growing power of their friend the President?
2) Which character do you think has more integrity? Which character is wiser or more practical?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the "Desdemona complex."
1) Who suffers from the Desdemona complex?
2) Is the complex just about sex, or is it about the allure of the "Other" in all of its aspects? Explain.
3) What does the Desdemona complex suggest about the state of African identity in post colonial times?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)