|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to legend, what happens in times past when the people of Abazon suffer?
2. What is happening outside as the President holds a meeting with his cabinet?
3. How does the Attorney-General describe himself to the President?
4. What is Mad Medico's job?
5. What is Lou Cranford's attitude toward the President and his staff?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Professor Okong.
2. Why is Chris's death ironic, considering the news the group has just heard?
3. Describe Mr. So Therefore and how he got his nickname. What seems to be the attitude toward spousal abuse in Kangan?
4. What do the cab drivers think of Ikem?
5. In what ways is the naming ceremony untraditional?
6. What is Ikem's attitude toward women, according to Chris?
7. Compare Beatrice's religious attitudes with those of her maid, Agatha.
8. Who is Idemili and what does the folk tale about her convey about female power?
9. What does their stay at Braimoh's house teach Chris and Beatrice about the way the poor live?
10. How, according to Ikem, do working-class people expect their leaders to live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the critique of male chauvinism in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) How are the female characters presented--are they equals to men?
2) Which characters display sexist or chauvinist attitudes?
3) How does Beatrice experience male chauvinism in her life, as recounted in Chapter 7, and how does she confront Ikem about his sexist attitudes?
4) How are females presented in traditional African folk tales about the Sky and Idemili?
5) What, if any, significance is there in the fact that Chris dies while defending a young woman from being raped?
Essay Topic 2
One theme in the novel is the need for unity between people of different classes and faiths in order to create a better future for the nation. Write an essay exploring this theme in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of religion in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) Which religions are represented in the novel?
2) Compare and contrast the attitudes of Beatrice and Agatha toward their religions.
3) Nigeria is a country with three main religions: Christianity, Islam, and traditional animism. How is this religious diversity represented in the novel, particularly in the naming ceremony in Chapter 18?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)