Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a crime problem in the city now, much feared by Elewa?
2. In Chapter 3, who does Ikem say must be overthrown?
3. Who is Mad Medico?
4. What is the SRC?
5. What does Chris's girlfriend study at the university?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message about women is portrayed in the African folk tale about why the sky is far away from the earth?
2. Explain how the President came to power and why he needed Christopher Oriko's help.
3. Describe the relationship between the President and his ministers of government, as revealed in Chapter 1.
4. According to Chris, why does Ikem resent him so much?
5. Describe the case of Mad Medico and Dr. Ofe. Why does the President's response to the crisis give Ikem hope?
6. Interpret Chris's dying words, "the last green."
7. Describe the American reporter's manner at the party. Why does Beatrice dislike her?
8. Why, according to Chris, does the President begin to distance himself from Ikem and Chris?
9. What is meant by the "Desdemona complex," and how does it apply to the President's behavior at the party?
10. How, according to Ikem, do working-class people expect their leaders to live?
Chris and Ikem are former schoolmates who end up in high positions in the government, but handle their responsibility in different ways.
1) Compare and contrast Chris and Ikem. How are they different in terms of personality, motivation, and in the way they react to the growing power of their friend the President?
2) Which character do you think has more integrity? Which character is wiser or more practical?
Discuss the idea of storytelling as a powerful tool.
1) Why, according to the Abazon elder, is the story of the battle more important than the battle itself?
2) Why, according to Ikem, are storytellers the enemies of tyrants?
3) How do Ikem's stories threaten the President? What change is he able to effect through them?
Write an essay about lies and dishonesty in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) What lies are told to the Abazonians regarding the President's bid to become dictator-for-life, as told by the Abazon elder in Chapter 9?
2) What lies are told about Ikem and the circumstances surrounding his death?
3) What lies are told about the President's disappearance?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)