|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beatrice criticize about Ikem's philosophy?
2. What is the name of Chris's girlfriend?
3. According to Ikem, which is the biggest single group of oppressed people in the world?
4. Which best describes Beatrice's attitude as she is being driven to the dinner at the beginning of Chapter 6?
5. What does Ikem religiously avoid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who calls Beatrice with an anonymous tip about Chris, and what is the apparent purpose of the calls?
2. Describe Mr. So Therefore and how he got his nickname. What seems to be the attitude toward spousal abuse in Kangan?
3. How does the National Gazette distort Ikem's words to make him seem guilty? What lies are told about his death?
4. Why do most well-off city dwellers from Bassa never travel to the north of the country by bus?
5. Explain the story of the leopard and the tortoise. Why does the Abazon elder tell this story?
6. Describe the relationship between the President and his ministers of government, as revealed in Chapter 1.
7. Why is Beatrice angry with Chris? Does she have a right to be angry?
8. In what ways is the naming ceremony untraditional?
9. What is meant by the "Desdemona complex," and how does it apply to the President's behavior at the party?
10. To whom are storytellers a threat, according to Ikem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anthills of the Savannah has something in common with a traditional tragedy, in which pride brings about the downfall of a tragic hero. Write an essay examining Ikem, Sam, and Chris as tragic heroes who bring about their own downfall.
1) What does each man do that shows he is prideful or obstinate?
2) At what point could any of the three men have acted differently or made better choices to avoid their ultimate downfall?
3) Reflect on the inscription "Ife onye metalu" or ("What a man commits...") which is painted on the bus Chris escapes on. What significance does Chris see in this quote?
4) Consider Chris's choice of nominating Okong, a man he knew to be unscrupulous, as a minister in Sam's government. To what extent does this implicate Chris in the injustice of Sam's rule?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about lies and dishonesty in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) What lies are told to the Abazonians regarding the President's bid to become dictator-for-life, as told by the Abazon elder in Chapter 9?
2) What lies are told about Ikem and the circumstances surrounding his death?
3) What lies are told about the President's disappearance?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the critique of male chauvinism in Anthills of the Savannah.
1) How are the female characters presented--are they equals to men?
2) Which characters display sexist or chauvinist attitudes?
3) How does Beatrice experience male chauvinism in her life, as recounted in Chapter 7, and how does she confront Ikem about his sexist attitudes?
4) How are females presented in traditional African folk tales about the Sky and Idemili?
5) What, if any, significance is there in the fact that Chris dies while defending a young woman from being raped?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)