|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a crime problem in the city now, much feared by Elewa?
2. In Chapter 3, who does Ikem say must be overthrown?
3. Who is Mad Medico?
4. What is the SRC?
5. What does Chris's girlfriend study at the university?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message about women is portrayed in the African folk tale about why the sky is far away from the earth?
2. Explain how the President came to power and why he needed Christopher Oriko's help.
3. Describe the relationship between the President and his ministers of government, as revealed in Chapter 1.
4. According to Chris, why does Ikem resent him so much?
5. Describe the case of Mad Medico and Dr. Ofe. Why does the President's response to the crisis give Ikem hope?
6. Interpret Chris's dying words, "the last green."
7. Describe the American reporter's manner at the party. Why does Beatrice dislike her?
8. Why, according to Chris, does the President begin to distance himself from Ikem and Chris?
9. What is meant by the "Desdemona complex," and how does it apply to the President's behavior at the party?
10. How, according to Ikem, do working-class people expect their leaders to live?
Essay Topic 1
Anthills of the Savannah has something in common with a traditional tragedy, in which pride brings about the downfall of a tragic hero. Write an essay examining Ikem, Sam, and Chris as tragic heroes who bring about their own downfall.
1) What does each man do that shows he is prideful or obstinate?
2) At what point could any of the three men have acted differently or made better choices to avoid their ultimate downfall?
3) Reflect on the inscription "Ife onye metalu" or ("What a man commits...") which is painted on the bus Chris escapes on. What significance does Chris see in this quote?
4) Consider Chris's choice of nominating Okong, a man he knew to be unscrupulous, as a minister in Sam's government. To what extent does this implicate Chris in the injustice of Sam's rule?
Essay Topic 2
Ikem says at one point that the President is well meaning and will do the right thing if he is told what the right thing is. To what extent is this true?
1) The people around the President fear him and tell him what they think he wants to hear. Does this make them equally guilty for making him into a tyrant? Would he be less of a tyrant if people would stand up to him?
2) Chris says that Ikem's editorials accomplish nothing but aggravating people. Is he right? When, if ever, has the President taken action based on Ikem's urgings?
Essay Topic 3
According to The New York Review of Books, the novel Anthills of the Savannah "has wonderful satiric moments and resounds with big African laughter." Write an essay discussing the humor in the novel.
This section contains 2,179 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)