|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do political leaders always claim to be working for, according to Ikem?
(a) The people.
(d) Big business.
2. What does Chris's death teach Emmanuel?
(a) That life is short and must be savored.
(b) That it is possible to die with dignity.
(c) That death is something to be laughed at, not feared.
(d) That the world is a cruel place.
3. What is a main point of Ikem's speech?
(a) Writers should not simply document social problems, but must propose solutions.
(b) Democracy cannot work until the workers and students rid themselves of corruption.
(c) The country must not be run by the elite, but by the common people.
(d) The people must commit themselves to charitable work in order to help the poor.
4. According to the poem at the beginning of Chapter 10, what is Africa?
(a) A whipped slave.
(b) A young tree.
(c) An impetuous son.
(d) A back trembling with red scars.
5. What do the men who visit Ikem want from him?
(a) To say he should write an article about Abazon.
(b) To warn that his life may be in danger.
(c) To apologize for causing him trouble in traffic.
(d) They threaten him with death if he continues his crusade.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ikem's mood at the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. What should political leaders NOT do, according to Ikem?
3. What is the job of Ikem's prospective mother-in-law (Elewa's mother)?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 16, where is Chris planning to travel?
5. What does the national newspaper report about Ikem the following day?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)