|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which best describes Ikem's apparent attitude toward women, as explained by Chris in Chapter 5?
(a) They are the equals of men, according to his Marxist philosophy.
(b) They are there only to comfort him, but are not good intellectual partners.
(c) They are beneath men and should be treated as such.
(d) They should be held on a pedestal and treated like princesses.
2. What is one of Beatrice's nicknames?
(b) Mama B.
3. Which is true about the Abazon elder?
(a) He is highly educated.
(b) He speaks very little.
(c) He is illiterate.
(d) He has a soft voice, but a powerful message.
4. What does the Attorney-General claim the people of the nation want from the President?
(a) They want him to step down immediately.
(b) They want an end to the political killings.
(c) They want him to be president-for-life.
(d) They want him to call for national elections.
5. Why is Beatrice angry with Chris in Chapter 8?
(a) She thinks he meant for her to sleep with the President.
(b) She is angry that he did not attend the party with her.
(c) She thinks he cheated with another woman.
(d) She thinks he meant for her to spy on the President.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Beatrice educated?
2. Which best describes Beatrice's attitude as she is being driven to the dinner at the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. What happens when Ikem goes to complain about the police constable's conduct?
4. In Chapter 3, who does Ikem say must be overthrown?
5. Who is drinking with Mad Medico at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the President so angry with Ikem?
2. Explain how Chris is able to fool the police at a security checkpoint.
3. Describe the male chauvinism in Beatrice's childhood home.
4. Explain what happens in the parking lot after Ikem meets with the Abazon delegation. What does this incident seem to foreshadow?
5. Why does Agatha refuse to serve Elewa? What does the incident suggest about class differences in their society?
6. What is the subject of Ikem's editorial "Hymn to the Sun"? What point is he trying to make with it?
7. Describe Professor Okong.
8. Explain the story of the leopard and the tortoise. Why does the Abazon elder tell this story?
9. Who calls Beatrice with an anonymous tip about Chris, and what is the apparent purpose of the calls?
10. What is Ikem's opinion of labor leaders?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)