Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a crime problem in the city now, much feared by Elewa?
(b) Political killings.
(c) Armed robberies.
(d) Spousal abuse.
2. In Chapter 3, who does Ikem say must be overthrown?
(a) The Brigadier of Misfortune.
(b) The Messenger of the Creator.
(c) The King of Misinformation.
(d) The wild Sun of April.
3. Who is Mad Medico?
(a) A clinically insane mental patient who staged a protest against a hospital.
(b) The nickname of Dr. Ofe, a doctor guilty of serious malpractice.
(c) The President's personal physician, who made an attempt on the President's life.
(d) A foreigner who began a crusade against malpractice in the nation's hospitals.
4. What is the SRC?
(a) The committee in charge of propaganda.
(b) The secret police.
(c) A team of reporters from abroad.
(d) The national military.
5. What does Chris's girlfriend study at the university?
(a) Political philosophy.
(c) Chinese and Japanese.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the job of Mad Medico's English friend, Dick?
2. What does Chris say the modern leaders of Africa must be like in order to build up their nations?
3. Which is most important in a great fight, according to the Abazon elder: the sounding of the battle drum, the fierce waging of the war itself, or the telling of the story afterwards?
4. To what does Ikem compose a hymn?
5. What does the President say is true of all African chiefs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message about women is portrayed in the African folk tale about why the sky is far away from the earth?
2. Explain how the President came to power and why he needed Christopher Oriko's help.
3. Describe the relationship between the President and his ministers of government, as revealed in Chapter 1.
4. According to Chris, why does Ikem resent him so much?
5. Describe the case of Mad Medico and Dr. Ofe. Why does the President's response to the crisis give Ikem hope?
6. Interpret Chris's dying words, "the last green."
7. Describe the American reporter's manner at the party. Why does Beatrice dislike her?
8. Why, according to Chris, does the President begin to distance himself from Ikem and Chris?
9. What is meant by the "Desdemona complex," and how does it apply to the President's behavior at the party?
10. How, according to Ikem, do working-class people expect their leaders to live?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)