|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does old President Ngongo once give to the President?
(a) Beware your boyhood friends.
(b) Rely on military training and discipline to survive.
(c) Trust only your boyhood friends.
(d) Beware the men who flatter you most.
2. In the hymn written by Ikem, what is happening to the world?
(a) It is burning up.
(b) It is drowning in a new flood.
(c) It is breaking out in a terrible war.
(d) It is suffering from a terrible plague.
3. What is Lou Cranford's attitude toward the President and his staff?
(a) Polite and formal.
(b) Familiar and domineering.
(c) Admiring to the point of being worshipful.
(d) Shy and a little fearful.
4. Who does the President send to officially welcome the Abazon delegation?
(a) Major Johnson Ossai.
(b) Chris Oriko.
(c) Ikem Osodi.
(d) Professor Okong.
5. What is a crime problem in the city now, much feared by Elewa?
(b) Political killings.
(c) Armed robberies.
(d) Spousal abuse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of Beatrice's given name, Nwanyibuife?
2. What is Sam's great talent?
3. Which of the following are mentioned in Ikem's hymn as dying off and leaving no void?
4. According to Ikem, which is the biggest single group of oppressed people in the world?
5. Where is Beatrice educated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, according to Chris, is it so difficult to resolve the conflicts between Ikem and himself?
2. Why is Beatrice angry with Chris? Does she have a right to be angry?
3. Explain what happens in the parking lot after Ikem meets with the Abazon delegation. What does this incident seem to foreshadow?
4. Explain the argument between Ikem and Chris at the beginning of Chapter 3. Who has more integrity, Ikem or Chris, and what does their argument reveal about the state of the free press in Kangan?
5. How has the President changed, according to Ikem, and why has he done so?
6. What does the "Sun of April" represent in Ikem's allegory, and what does the allegory imply about the state of affairs in Kangan?
7. Why do the Abazon leaders fail to support the President's bid to become dictator-for-life, and what does the President do in response to their lack of support?
8. Why should the President be ashamed, according to Beatrice?
9. Compare Beatrice's religious attitudes with those of her maid, Agatha.
10. How is Beatrice portrayed in the media? How does she think of herself?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)