|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Beatrice criticize about Ikem's philosophy?
(a) He fails to include women in his political vision.
(b) He considers black people inferior to white Europeans.
(c) He is classist against poor people and peasants.
(d) He considers black people superior to white Europeans.
2. According to Ikem, which is the biggest single group of oppressed people in the world?
(a) Black people.
(b) Urban poor.
(d) Rural peasants.
3. What does Chris say about Ikem's crusading editorials?
(a) They will get Ikem killed.
(b) They don't accomplish anything but antagonizing everyone.
(c) He thinks they are brilliant, but dares not say so to the President.
(d) He thinks they are rubbish and that Osodi is completely out of his mind.
4. When Beatrice awakens the morning after her argument with the President, what does she hear a bird singing?
(a) Wake the lady, wake the lady!
(b) Who mocks the king?
(c) Beatrice, Beatrice!
(d) Is the king's property correct?
5. How does Mad Medico address the President?
(a) Mister President.
(b) Uncle John.
(c) By his given name, Sam.
(d) Your Excellency.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chris say the President is becoming?
2. What does Ikem think of the President, Sam?
3. Which best describes the religion practiced by Agatha?
4. According to Chris, which of the following describes Ikem?
5. Which province is asking for the President's help?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of Ikem's editorial "Hymn to the Sun"? What point is he trying to make with it?
2. Why is Beatrice angry with Chris? Does she have a right to be angry?
3. Whom does Okong warn the President about?
4. Describe the relationship between the President and his ministers of government, as revealed in Chapter 1.
5. Why is Chris's death ironic, considering the news the group has just heard?
6. What does Ikem mean when he says it is a writer's job to give headaches and not prescriptions? Do you agree with this statement?
7. What does Beatrice help Ikem to realize about women?
8. Explain the story of the leopard and the tortoise. Why does the Abazon elder tell this story?
9. Describe the male chauvinism in Beatrice's childhood home.
10. Describe the case of Mad Medico and Dr. Ofe. Why does the President's response to the crisis give Ikem hope?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)