|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the hymn composed by Ikem, who is found dead in the marketplace?
(a) A prostitute.
(b) A fortune teller.
(c) All the villagers.
(d) A madman.
2. What does the powerful man have, according to the expression used by the Abazon elder?
(a) The ear of God.
(b) The yam and the knife.
(c) The lightning bolt.
(d) The palm oil and wine.
3. What is a crime problem in the city now, much feared by Elewa?
(a) Armed robberies.
(c) Spousal abuse.
(d) Political killings.
4. Who, according to law, has control over what is printed in the national newspaper?
(a) Ikem Osodi.
(b) The Security Research Council.
(c) The President.
(d) Chris Oriko.
5. At the end of Chapter 8, what does Chris say he won't do?
(a) Resign his job.
(b) Abandon his friend, the President.
(c) Lie low.
(d) Give up the things he loves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the position held by Christopher Oriko?
2. On what pretext does a police constable detain Ikem as he leaves the meeting at the end of Chapter 9?
3. Who is drinking with Mad Medico at the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. What have the Abazonians heard about Ikem?
5. Who does the President send to officially welcome the Abazon delegation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, according to Chris, does the President begin to distance himself from Ikem and Chris?
2. According to Chris, why does Ikem resent him so much?
3. To whom are storytellers a threat, according to Ikem?
4. Describe the relationship between the President and his ministers of government, as revealed in Chapter 1.
5. Who are the demonstrators outside the Palace, and what do they want?
6. Why does Ikem feel exhilarated after his meeting with the taxi drivers?
7. Describe the male chauvinism in Beatrice's childhood home.
8. Why is the President so angry with Ikem?
9. What do the cab drivers think of Ikem?
10. What meaning does Chris find in the inscription "What a man commits," which is painted on the back of the bus?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)