|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Beatrice's job?
(a) She is a literature professor.
(b) She works in a shop.
(c) She is a newspaper reporter.
(d) She works for the Ministry of Finance.
2. What is happening outside as the President holds a meeting with his cabinet?
(a) There is a terrible dust storm.
(b) There is a large demonstration.
(c) Gunfire breaks out on the streets.
(d) There is a violent hurricane.
3. Which is true about the Abazon elder?
(a) He has a soft voice, but a powerful message.
(b) He speaks very little.
(c) He is highly educated.
(d) He is illiterate.
4. Where is Sam educated?
(b) West Point.
5. In Chapter 4, the reader first learns the name of the fictional African country in which this novel is set. What is it?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of Beatrice's given name, Nwanyibuife?
2. How does Mad Medico address the President?
3. What is the name of the school attended by the President and Chris Oriko?
4. What is the Eye of God in the hymn?
5. What is apparently the main reason the President refuses to visit Abazon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the confrontation between Ikem and the taxi driver in Chapter 3. What does it reveal about Ikem's character?
2. According to Chris, why does Ikem resent him so much?
3. How does the National Gazette distort Ikem's words to make him seem guilty? What lies are told about his death?
4. Why is Chris's death ironic, considering the news the group has just heard?
5. Why is the President so angry with Ikem?
6. Explain what happens in the parking lot after Ikem meets with the Abazon delegation. What does this incident seem to foreshadow?
7. What is the subject of Ikem's editorial "Hymn to the Sun"? What point is he trying to make with it?
8. How, according to Ikem, do working-class people expect their leaders to live?
9. Why must Chris leave the city?
10. How has the President changed, according to Ikem, and why has he done so?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)