|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Ikem goes to complain about the police constable's conduct?
(a) He is jailed.
(b) The officer who detained him is reprimanded severely.
(c) The officer who detained him denies ever seeing him before.
(d) He is threatened.
2. What is the meaning of Beatrice's given name, Nwanyibuife?
(a) African beauty.
(b) A female is also something.
(c) A female is nothing.
(d) African warrior.
3. According to the African legend recounted by Ikem, what is once true about the Sky?
(a) It was a woman.
(b) It was white instead of blue.
(c) It was close to the Earth.
(d) It was made of food.
4. What does Beatrice criticize about Ikem's philosophy?
(a) He considers black people inferior to white Europeans.
(b) He is classist against poor people and peasants.
(c) He fails to include women in his political vision.
(d) He considers black people superior to white Europeans.
5. To whom does the Attorney-General compare the President during their conversation near the end of Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the President warned may be plotting against him?
2. Which best describes the religion practiced by Agatha?
3. What have the Abazonians heard about Ikem?
4. What does Sam originally want to become, before he is steered into a military career?
5. What does Chris's girlfriend study at the university?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Beatrice's religious attitudes with those of her maid, Agatha.
2. What does the "Sun of April" represent in Ikem's allegory, and what does the allegory imply about the state of affairs in Kangan?
3. Why is the President so angry with Ikem?
4. Explain how the President came to power and why he needed Christopher Oriko's help.
5. To whom are storytellers a threat, according to Ikem?
6. Describe Professor Okong.
7. Why does Ikem feel exhilarated after his meeting with the taxi drivers?
8. Explain what the President wants Okong to do about the demonstration. Why won't he meet with the delegation himself?
9. Why does Agatha refuse to serve Elewa? What does the incident suggest about class differences in their society?
10. Explain what happens in the parking lot after Ikem meets with the Abazon delegation. What does this incident seem to foreshadow?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)