|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to legend, what happens in times past when the people of Abazon suffer?
(a) Other territories came to their aid.
(b) They prayed to the gods and were helped.
(c) They were helped by the great kings of the past.
(d) They moved to a new territory and conquered it.
2. On what pretext does a police constable detain Ikem as he leaves the meeting at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) The officer accuses him of colluding with the Abazonians in a plot against the President.
(b) The officer says he failed to use his parking light.
(c) The officer says he is driving an unregistered vehicle.
(d) He is forbidden to speak to the delegation or to write about it.
3. What does the President claim to be?
(a) A simple soldier.
(b) A career politician.
(c) A law expert.
(d) A common civilian.
4. How do the members of the Abazonian delegation receive Ikem?
(a) With jeers of derision.
(b) With shouts of anger.
(c) With murmurs of skepticism.
(d) With a tremendous ovation.
5. What does Chris do that angers Ikem in Chapter 3?
(a) Shouts at him in front of the Council.
(b) Tells a lie about him to the President.
(c) Forbids him to write a story about the delegation.
(d) Hangs up the phone on him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Idemili?
2. What does Ikem Osodi speak out against in his first crusading editorial?
3. Who is the President warned may be plotting against him?
4. What is the former career of Professor Okong, the Commissioner for Home Affairs?
5. What does the President say is true of all African chiefs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Chris's death ironic, considering the news the group has just heard?
2. Describe Mad Medico's relationship to the President and his attitude toward him.
3. Why must Chris leave the city?
4. Why, according to Chris, is it so difficult to resolve the conflicts between Ikem and himself?
5. Describe the American reporter's manner at the party. Why does Beatrice dislike her?
6. Explain the story of the leopard and the tortoise. Why does the Abazon elder tell this story?
7. Who calls Beatrice with an anonymous tip about Chris, and what is the apparent purpose of the calls?
8. Explain what happens in the parking lot after Ikem meets with the Abazon delegation. What does this incident seem to foreshadow?
9. What is happening outside the Presidential Palace in Chapter 1?
10. In what ways is the naming ceremony untraditional?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)