|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ikem liken himself to at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) A poet.
(b) A laborer.
(c) A beaten-down slave.
(d) An explorer.
2. What do the visitors say they have heard about Ikem?
(a) He has caused a traffic accident.
(b) He fights for the small people.
(c) He stays home, drinks cold beer, and forgets about the people.
(d) He is plotting against the President.
3. When stopped by a soldier for questioning, what does Chris tell the soldier his profession is?
(a) A mechanic.
(b) A motor-parts salesman.
(c) A priest.
(d) A taxi driver.
4. What are the rich and powerful like, according to Ikem?
5. Where does Ikem go to make a speech in Chapter 12?
(a) To the Presidential Palace.
(b) To Abazon.
(c) To the American Embassy.
(d) To the University of Bassa.
6. In what has Ikem lost his faith?
(a) Public affairs.
(c) The art of journalism.
(d) The monarchy.
7. What does Chris's death teach Emmanuel?
(a) That it is possible to die with dignity.
(b) That the world is a cruel place.
(c) That death is something to be laughed at, not feared.
(d) That life is short and must be savored.
8. What is revealed about Elewa in Chapter 13?
(a) She is actually a spy for the secret police.
(b) She wrote the letter incriminating Ikem.
(c) She is pregnant with Ikem's baby.
(d) She also participated in the plot to overthrow the President.
9. What do the men who visit Ikem want from him?
(a) To apologize for causing him trouble in traffic.
(b) They threaten him with death if he continues his crusade.
(c) To say he should write an article about Abazon.
(d) To warn that his life may be in danger.
10. Who will make the journey with Chris?
(a) Braimoh and Emmanuel.
(b) Elewa and Braimoh.
(c) Elewa and Emmanuel.
(d) Braimoh and his wife, Aina.
11. What is the meaning of the phrase "Ife onye metalu," painted on the front of the bus?
(a) Angel of Mercy.
(c) All Saints Bus.
(d) What a man commits.
12. Who is Braimoh?
(a) A priest.
(b) Chris's former government aide.
(c) A student union leader.
(d) A taxi driver.
13. When the men show up unexpectedly at Ikem's house in Chapter 10, how do they greet Ikem?
(b) With scowls.
(c) In a friendly but insincere way.
(d) With smiles.
14. What typically happens at police and army checkpoints?
(a) The guards ask for every passenger's identification papers.
(b) Everyone must get off the bus for questioning.
(c) The guards rifle through the passengers' belongings and confiscate any valuables.
(d) The guards take a bribe from the bus driver and send him on his way.
15. What is the job of Ikem's prospective mother-in-law (Elewa's mother)?
(a) She is a union leader.
(b) She is a market-woman who sells cloth.
(c) She is a professor at the university.
(d) She is a peasant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the national newspaper report about Ikem the following day?
2. Which of the following does Beatrice realize about her servant, Agatha?
3. What message does Beatrice receive from an anonymous caller at the beginning of Chapter 14?
4. Who is Ikem preparing to see in Chapter 10?
5. What shocking news do the travelers hear toward the end of Chapter 17?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)