|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who names Elewa's baby?
(a) Elewa's elderly uncle.
(c) The group of friends name her together.
(d) Beatrice's servant, Agatha.
2. What will Africa eventually have, according to the poem at the beginning of Chapter 10?
3. Which of the following is true about Elewa?
(a) She is semi-illiterate, but very self-confident.
(b) She is semi-illiterate and very insecure.
(c) She is well-educated and confident.
(d) She is well-educated, but unsure of herself.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 16, where is Chris planning to travel?
(a) To the province of Abazon.
(b) To the sea coast in the west, where he can catch a boat to America.
(c) To guerrilla camps in the mountains.
(d) To London.
5. What does Ikem say when asked about plans to put the President's image on the national currency?
(a) The President must think he is a God.
(b) Any President who puts his image on money shows that he can be bought with money.
(c) The President has now officially become a tyrant.
(d) Any President foolish enough to put his head on a coin invites people to take his head off.
6. According to Ikem, what do all poor people seem to want from their leaders?
(a) They want their leaders to live in luxury.
(b) They want their leaders to be humble like them.
(c) They want handouts from their leaders.
(d) They want their leaders to leave them alone.
7. What does Elewa say about Ikem's car?
(a) She is proud to be seen in it.
(b) It isn't flashy, but it's dependable.
(c) It is dangerous to drive.
(d) It makes her ashamed.
8. What is the job of Ikem's prospective mother-in-law (Elewa's mother)?
(a) She is a market-woman who sells cloth.
(b) She is a union leader.
(c) She is a peasant.
(d) She is a professor at the university.
9. According to the poem at the beginning of Chapter 10, what is Africa?
(a) A whipped slave.
(b) An impetuous son.
(c) A back trembling with red scars.
(d) A young tree.
10. What do the visitors say they have heard about Ikem?
(a) He fights for the small people.
(b) He stays home, drinks cold beer, and forgets about the people.
(c) He has caused a traffic accident.
(d) He is plotting against the President.
11. Who comes unexpectedly to see Ikem at his home in Chapter 10?
(a) Members of the Secret Police.
(b) People from the Abazon delegation.
(c) A group of peasants.
(d) Taxi drivers.
12. How many people are present to hear the speech?
(a) Over 2000.
(b) Over 5000.
(c) About 500.
(d) Only about 100.
13. What other piece of false information is given by the newspaper about Chris?
(a) He is wanted by security officers.
(b) He is now in police custody.
(c) He may have fled for London.
(d) He is missing and presumed dead.
14. What message does Beatrice receive from an anonymous caller at the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) Chris wants to meet with her that evening.
(b) Chris will be sent to London that night.
(c) Chris's hiding place is secure and she should not worry.
(d) Chris must be moved to a new hiding place.
15. What does Chris find when he goes to Ikem's apartment?
(a) Army jeeps are outside the flat.
(b) Ikem's body, along with a suicide note.
(c) Ikem's flat is in a shambles.
(d) A letter Ikem wrote to the editor of the Gazette.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ikem go to make a speech in Chapter 12?
2. What is the meaning of the phrase "Ife onye metalu," painted on the front of the bus?
3. What do people call the type of bus Chris and his companions take?
4. What shocking news do the travelers hear toward the end of Chapter 17?
5. What does Chris ask for at a restaurant that he cannot get?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)