|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The visitors call Ikem "oga." What do you guess is the meaning of that word?
(a) Writer or storyteller.
(d) Important man.
2. What does Elewa say about Ikem's car?
(a) She is proud to be seen in it.
(b) It makes her ashamed.
(c) It isn't flashy, but it's dependable.
(d) It is dangerous to drive.
3. What is Ikem's mood at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) He is terrified.
(b) He is exhausted.
(c) He is nervous, but hopeful.
(d) He is exhilarated.
4. What has Ikem done in the past with his writing, according to the visitors?
(a) Helped campaign for newer, safer roads.
(b) Forced the City Council to clean up the city.
(c) Pressured the President to change his mind on important issues.
(d) Stirred up trouble.
5. What does Ikem imply about charity work while addressing the charitable Rotary Club several months before?
(a) It is the only type of work that is truly worth doing.
(b) It is vital to the future of the nation.
(c) It is actually quite unnecessary.
(d) It serves to make the privileged feel good about themselves.
6. What kind of car does Ikem drive?
(a) A Peugeot.
(b) A Toyota.
(c) A Mercedes.
(d) A Datsun.
7. In Chapter 11, what does the President demand Chris do?
(a) Suspend Ikem from his job as editor of the National Gazette.
(b) Spy on Ikem for him.
(c) Break things off with Beatrice, who has insulted the President.
(d) Resign immediately as Commissioner of Information.
8. What does Ikem offer the soldier who stops him for questioning?
(a) A blessing.
(b) Palm wine.
(c) Kola nuts.
(d) A bribe.
9. How does Chris die?
(a) An old man identifies him as the Commissioner for Information, and he is shot by police for the reward.
(b) He dies of a combination of shock and heatstroke after learning of the coup.
(c) He is shot while saving a girl from being raped by a police officer.
(d) He stumbles in the road and is hit by a bus.
10. What happens to Ikem Osodi?
(a) He commits suicide.
(b) He is tortured and killed by government agents.
(c) He is shot by the secret police.
(d) He is publicly executed.
11. What happens to the President?
(a) He committed suicide when he learned the coup was imminent.
(b) He fled to England.
(c) He was kidnapped by "unknown persons" and is presumed dead.
(d) He was kidnapped, tortured, shot, and buried in the bush.
12. Which of the following is true about Elewa?
(a) She is well-educated, but unsure of herself.
(b) She is semi-illiterate and very insecure.
(c) She is semi-illiterate, but very self-confident.
(d) She is well-educated and confident.
13. What are the rich and powerful like, according to Ikem?
14. What is the job of Ikem's prospective mother-in-law (Elewa's mother)?
(a) She is a professor at the university.
(b) She is a union leader.
(c) She is a market-woman who sells cloth.
(d) She is a peasant.
15. In which direction is Chris traveling in Chapter 17?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do political leaders always claim to be working for, according to Ikem?
2. According to the poem at the beginning of Chapter 10, what is Africa?
3. What other piece of false information is given by the newspaper about Chris?
4. What should political leaders NOT do, according to Ikem?
5. What is the meaning of the phrase "Ife onye metalu," painted on the front of the bus?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)