|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes unexpectedly to see Ikem at his home in Chapter 10?
(a) People from the Abazon delegation.
(b) A group of peasants.
(c) Taxi drivers.
(d) Members of the Secret Police.
2. What happens to Ikem Osodi?
(a) He is publicly executed.
(b) He is shot by the secret police.
(c) He commits suicide.
(d) He is tortured and killed by government agents.
3. What is the meaning of Amaechina, the name of Elewa and Ikem's baby girl?
(a) A woman is also something.
(b) A new hope is born.
(c) The remnant shall return.
(d) May the path never close.
4. According to the National Gazette, Chris is spotted wearing what disguise?
(a) A turban.
(b) A nun's habit.
(c) A false beard.
(d) A cap and sunglasses.
5. What is a main point of Ikem's speech?
(a) Writers should not simply document social problems, but must propose solutions.
(b) Democracy cannot work until the workers and students rid themselves of corruption.
(c) The country must not be run by the elite, but by the common people.
(d) The people must commit themselves to charitable work in order to help the poor.
6. What does Chris's death teach Emmanuel?
(a) That death is something to be laughed at, not feared.
(b) That the world is a cruel place.
(c) That it is possible to die with dignity.
(d) That life is short and must be savored.
7. What is the meaning of the phrase "Ife onye metalu," painted on the front of the bus?
(a) What a man commits.
(b) Angel of Mercy.
(d) All Saints Bus.
8. What typically happens at police and army checkpoints?
(a) The guards take a bribe from the bus driver and send him on his way.
(b) The guards ask for every passenger's identification papers.
(c) Everyone must get off the bus for questioning.
(d) The guards rifle through the passengers' belongings and confiscate any valuables.
9. How does the landscape change as the bus continues on its journey?
(a) It changes from arid desert to lush rainforest.
(b) It changes from rainforest to increasingly dry grassland.
(c) It changes from flat plains to rugged mountains.
(d) It changes from flat plains to rolling hills and valleys.
10. What does Elewa say about Ikem's car?
(a) She is proud to be seen in it.
(b) It makes her ashamed.
(c) It is dangerous to drive.
(d) It isn't flashy, but it's dependable.
11. What does Chris realize at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) He is braver than he ever thought possible.
(b) He learned nothing of value in college.
(c) The poor are actually much happier than the rich.
(d) It is not easy for a rich man to pretend he is poor.
12. What are the rich and powerful like, according to Ikem?
13. What does Chris find when he goes to Ikem's apartment?
(a) Ikem's body, along with a suicide note.
(b) A letter Ikem wrote to the editor of the Gazette.
(c) Army jeeps are outside the flat.
(d) Ikem's flat is in a shambles.
14. What is the worst failure of government, according to Ikem?
(a) The massive and pervasive corruption.
(b) The reliance on capitalism.
(c) The failure to connect with the poor and dispossessed.
(d) Subservience to foreign manipulation.
15. What does Chris ask for at a restaurant that he cannot get?
(a) Fresh vegetables.
(d) Clean water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ikem say when asked about plans to put the President's image on the national currency?
2. Who is Braimoh?
3. In what has Ikem lost his faith?
4. In Chapter 11, what does the President demand Chris do?
5. What makes Chris smile as he dies?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)