|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ikem imply about charity work while addressing the charitable Rotary Club several months before?
(a) It is vital to the future of the nation.
(b) It is actually quite unnecessary.
(c) It serves to make the privileged feel good about themselves.
(d) It is the only type of work that is truly worth doing.
2. What does Elewa say about Ikem's car?
(a) It is dangerous to drive.
(b) She is proud to be seen in it.
(c) It makes her ashamed.
(d) It isn't flashy, but it's dependable.
3. What message does Beatrice receive from an anonymous caller at the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) Chris must be moved to a new hiding place.
(b) Chris will be sent to London that night.
(c) Chris's hiding place is secure and she should not worry.
(d) Chris wants to meet with her that evening.
4. What does Chris realize at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) The poor are actually much happier than the rich.
(b) He learned nothing of value in college.
(c) It is not easy for a rich man to pretend he is poor.
(d) He is braver than he ever thought possible.
5. What shocking news is given over the radio at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) The President is ill and is in the hospital.
(b) The leaders from Abazon have mysteriously disappeared--likely kidnapped by the SRC.
(c) The six leaders from Abazon are under arrest for staging an illegal protest.
(d) Ikem has been sacked from his job.
6. Who is Emmanuel?
(a) Chris's former government aide.
(b) A taxi driver.
(c) A student union leader.
(d) The person who arranged for him to take a flight to London.
7. What does Chris want to do?
(b) Discuss the issue with Ikem first.
(c) Give Beatrice another chance.
(d) Suspend Ikem.
8. How does Chris die?
(a) An old man identifies him as the Commissioner for Information, and he is shot by police for the reward.
(b) He is shot while saving a girl from being raped by a police officer.
(c) He dies of a combination of shock and heatstroke after learning of the coup.
(d) He stumbles in the road and is hit by a bus.
9. Which of the following is true about Elewa?
(a) She is well-educated, but unsure of herself.
(b) She is semi-illiterate and very insecure.
(c) She is well-educated and confident.
(d) She is semi-illiterate, but very self-confident.
10. How does the landscape change as the bus continues on its journey?
(a) It changes from arid desert to lush rainforest.
(b) It changes from flat plains to rugged mountains.
(c) It changes from rainforest to increasingly dry grassland.
(d) It changes from flat plains to rolling hills and valleys.
11. According to Professor Okong, why has the President been upset with both Chris and Ikem for the past two years?
(a) He thinks they have been working behind his back to have him overthrown.
(b) They did not help ensure his election as President for life.
(c) He is still bitter about the way they gossiped about his English girlfriend.
(d) They have been leaking information about him to the foreign press.
12. Who names Elewa's baby?
(a) Beatrice's servant, Agatha.
(b) The group of friends name her together.
(d) Elewa's elderly uncle.
13. Where does Ikem go to make a speech in Chapter 12?
(a) To the Presidential Palace.
(b) To the American Embassy.
(c) To Abazon.
(d) To the University of Bassa.
14. What is Ikem's mood at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) He is exhilarated.
(b) He is exhausted.
(c) He is terrified.
(d) He is nervous, but hopeful.
15. What does Chris ask for at a restaurant that he cannot get?
(a) Clean water.
(b) Fresh vegetables.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ikem point out is not in the audience?
2. What is revealed about Elewa in Chapter 13?
3. What is the job of Ikem's prospective mother-in-law (Elewa's mother)?
4. What happens to Ikem Osodi?
5. In Chapter 11, what does the President demand Chris do?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)