|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Emmanuel?
(a) The person who arranged for him to take a flight to London.
(b) Chris's former government aide.
(c) A student union leader.
(d) A taxi driver.
2. What does the national newspaper report about Ikem the following day?
(a) He is guilty of the crime of regicide.
(b) He will be deported immediately.
(c) He is in favor of killing the President.
(d) He has disappeared.
3. Which of the following is true about Elewa?
(a) She is semi-illiterate and very insecure.
(b) She is well-educated and confident.
(c) She is semi-illiterate, but very self-confident.
(d) She is well-educated, but unsure of herself.
4. According to the National Gazette, Chris is spotted wearing what disguise?
(a) A turban.
(b) A false beard.
(c) A cap and sunglasses.
(d) A nun's habit.
5. Who is Ikem preparing to see in Chapter 10?
(a) Mad Medico.
(d) The President.
6. What message does Beatrice receive from an anonymous caller at the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) Chris will be sent to London that night.
(b) Chris's hiding place is secure and she should not worry.
(c) Chris wants to meet with her that evening.
(d) Chris must be moved to a new hiding place.
7. Who does Ikem liken himself to at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) A laborer.
(b) A beaten-down slave.
(c) A poet.
(d) An explorer.
8. What is Ikem's opinion of worker leaders and students?
(a) They are corrupt.
(b) They represent the good of the common people.
(c) They hold no power.
(d) They are "ordinary riff-raffs."
9. Where does Ikem go to make a speech in Chapter 12?
(a) To the American Embassy.
(b) To Abazon.
(c) To the University of Bassa.
(d) To the Presidential Palace.
10. Who is Braimoh?
(a) Chris's former government aide.
(b) A student union leader.
(c) A taxi driver.
(d) A priest.
11. The visitors call Ikem "oga." What do you guess is the meaning of that word?
(b) Important man.
(d) Writer or storyteller.
12. What shocking news is given over the radio at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Ikem has been sacked from his job.
(b) The six leaders from Abazon are under arrest for staging an illegal protest.
(c) The President is ill and is in the hospital.
(d) The leaders from Abazon have mysteriously disappeared--likely kidnapped by the SRC.
13. What does Elewa say about Ikem's car?
(a) It isn't flashy, but it's dependable.
(b) She is proud to be seen in it.
(c) It makes her ashamed.
(d) It is dangerous to drive.
14. What is the worst failure of government, according to Ikem?
(a) Subservience to foreign manipulation.
(b) The massive and pervasive corruption.
(c) The reliance on capitalism.
(d) The failure to connect with the poor and dispossessed.
15. Why is the President angry when he meets with Chris in Chapter 11?
(a) Ikem has published yet another article demanding the President step down.
(b) Beatrice has humiliated him in front of the Americans.
(c) Chris wants to resign from his position.
(d) He believes that Ikem helped plan the Abazonians' march on the Palace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other piece of false information is given by the newspaper about Chris?
2. When the men show up unexpectedly at Ikem's house in Chapter 10, how do they greet Ikem?
3. What does Chris want to do?
4. What does Chris find when he goes to Ikem's apartment?
5. What happens to the President?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)