|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ikem say is the title of his speech?
(a) The Tortoise and the Leopard.
(b) Samson and Jezebel.
(c) The Elephant and the Mouse.
(d) Caesar and Brutus.
2. What do people call the type of bus Chris and his companions take?
3. What happens to the President?
(a) He was kidnapped, tortured, shot, and buried in the bush.
(b) He was kidnapped by "unknown persons" and is presumed dead.
(c) He fled to England.
(d) He committed suicide when he learned the coup was imminent.
4. According to Professor Okong, why has the President been upset with both Chris and Ikem for the past two years?
(a) They have been leaking information about him to the foreign press.
(b) He is still bitter about the way they gossiped about his English girlfriend.
(c) They did not help ensure his election as President for life.
(d) He thinks they have been working behind his back to have him overthrown.
5. What other piece of false information is given by the newspaper about Chris?
(a) He is wanted by security officers.
(b) He may have fled for London.
(c) He is missing and presumed dead.
(d) He is now in police custody.
6. What does Chris find when he goes to Ikem's apartment?
(a) Ikem's flat is in a shambles.
(b) Army jeeps are outside the flat.
(c) A letter Ikem wrote to the editor of the Gazette.
(d) Ikem's body, along with a suicide note.
7. How does the landscape change as the bus continues on its journey?
(a) It changes from arid desert to lush rainforest.
(b) It changes from flat plains to rolling hills and valleys.
(c) It changes from rainforest to increasingly dry grassland.
(d) It changes from flat plains to rugged mountains.
8. Which of the following does Beatrice realize about her servant, Agatha?
(a) She is totally incompetent, but Beatrice loves her anyway.
(b) She is religious, but has no sense of charity.
(c) She pretends to be kind, but is really wicked and cruel.
(d) Although she worships "primitive" gods, she is not a primitive person.
9. What typically happens at police and army checkpoints?
(a) Everyone must get off the bus for questioning.
(b) The guards ask for every passenger's identification papers.
(c) The guards take a bribe from the bus driver and send him on his way.
(d) The guards rifle through the passengers' belongings and confiscate any valuables.
10. What message does Beatrice receive from an anonymous caller at the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) Chris wants to meet with her that evening.
(b) Chris must be moved to a new hiding place.
(c) Chris's hiding place is secure and she should not worry.
(d) Chris will be sent to London that night.
11. What type of government is proposed by one of the audience members?
(a) A democratic dictatorship led by the working class, or proletariat.
(b) An oligarchy led by the educated people of the nation.
(c) A theocratic dictatorship guided by the principles of Islam.
(d) A Western-style democracy led by the middle class, or bourgeoisie.
12. Where does Ikem go to make a speech in Chapter 12?
(a) To the University of Bassa.
(b) To Abazon.
(c) To the Presidential Palace.
(d) To the American Embassy.
13. What ceremony is Beatrice planning to hold in her apartment at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) A welcoming ceremony for the new government of Kangan.
(b) A naming ceremony for Elewa's baby girl.
(c) A wedding ceremony for Emmanuel and Adamma.
(d) A funeral ceremony in memory of Chris and Ikem.
14. What kind of car does Ikem drive?
(a) A Peugeot.
(b) A Datsun.
(c) A Toyota.
(d) A Mercedes.
15. What does Chris realize at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) He learned nothing of value in college.
(b) He is braver than he ever thought possible.
(c) The poor are actually much happier than the rich.
(d) It is not easy for a rich man to pretend he is poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Chris smile as he dies?
2. How many people are present to hear the speech?
3. What is the job of Ikem's prospective mother-in-law (Elewa's mother)?
4. What has Ikem done in the past with his writing, according to the visitors?
5. What do the visitors say they have heard about Ikem?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)