|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chris want to do?
(b) Give Beatrice another chance.
(c) Discuss the issue with Ikem first.
(d) Suspend Ikem.
2. What shocking news do the travelers hear toward the end of Chapter 17?
(a) The President has been shot dead in a coup d'etat.
(b) The President has officially pardoned Chris and he is free to return to Bassa.
(c) The national government has been overthrown in a coup d'etat.
(d) The President has been kidnapped and is being held for ransom.
3. What is Ikem's opinion of worker leaders and students?
(a) They are "ordinary riff-raffs."
(b) They hold no power.
(c) They represent the good of the common people.
(d) They are corrupt.
4. According to Professor Okong, why has the President been upset with both Chris and Ikem for the past two years?
(a) He thinks they have been working behind his back to have him overthrown.
(b) They did not help ensure his election as President for life.
(c) They have been leaking information about him to the foreign press.
(d) He is still bitter about the way they gossiped about his English girlfriend.
5. What is revealed about Elewa in Chapter 13?
(a) She is pregnant with Ikem's baby.
(b) She also participated in the plot to overthrow the President.
(c) She wrote the letter incriminating Ikem.
(d) She is actually a spy for the secret police.
6. What is the job of Ikem's prospective mother-in-law (Elewa's mother)?
(a) She is a professor at the university.
(b) She is a market-woman who sells cloth.
(c) She is a peasant.
(d) She is a union leader.
7. Who comes unexpectedly to see Ikem at his home in Chapter 10?
(a) People from the Abazon delegation.
(b) A group of peasants.
(c) Taxi drivers.
(d) Members of the Secret Police.
8. According to the poem at the beginning of Chapter 10, what is Africa?
(a) An impetuous son.
(b) A whipped slave.
(c) A young tree.
(d) A back trembling with red scars.
9. What makes Chris smile as he dies?
(a) He was smiling as he remembered the innocence of the past.
(b) He smiled as he thought of Beatrice, his one true love.
(c) He smiled because the President was dead and Kangan would be free again.
(d) He was smiling at the irony of how the three once-proud friends had fallen.
10. Who is deported within forty-eight hours after Ikem's speech?
(a) Mad Medico.
(b) The leader of the University of Bassa Student Union.
11. Who names Elewa's baby?
(a) Beatrice's servant, Agatha.
(b) The group of friends name her together.
(d) Elewa's elderly uncle.
12. What should political leaders NOT do, according to Ikem?
(a) They can do anything they like.
(b) Drive luxury cars or otherwise show off their wealth.
(c) Mingle with the poor or make friends with poor and low-class people.
(d) Pretend to be like the poor by wearing aged jeans.
13. Which of the following is true about Elewa?
(a) She is well-educated and confident.
(b) She is semi-illiterate and very insecure.
(c) She is semi-illiterate, but very self-confident.
(d) She is well-educated, but unsure of herself.
14. What ceremony is Beatrice planning to hold in her apartment at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) A welcoming ceremony for the new government of Kangan.
(b) A funeral ceremony in memory of Chris and Ikem.
(c) A naming ceremony for Elewa's baby girl.
(d) A wedding ceremony for Emmanuel and Adamma.
15. According to Ikem, who poses a threat to leadership?
(b) The poor and dispossessed.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which direction is Chris traveling in Chapter 17?
2. What do the men who visit Ikem want from him?
3. Which of the following does Beatrice realize about her servant, Agatha?
4. What is Ikem's mood at the beginning of Chapter 11?
5. What does Chris find when he goes to Ikem's apartment?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)