|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what has Ikem lost his faith?
(a) The monarchy.
(b) The art of journalism.
(d) Public affairs.
2. What should political leaders NOT do, according to Ikem?
(a) Pretend to be like the poor by wearing aged jeans.
(b) Mingle with the poor or make friends with poor and low-class people.
(c) Drive luxury cars or otherwise show off their wealth.
(d) They can do anything they like.
3. According to Professor Okong, why has the President been upset with both Chris and Ikem for the past two years?
(a) They have been leaking information about him to the foreign press.
(b) He is still bitter about the way they gossiped about his English girlfriend.
(c) He thinks they have been working behind his back to have him overthrown.
(d) They did not help ensure his election as President for life.
4. Which of the following does Beatrice realize about her servant, Agatha?
(a) Although she worships "primitive" gods, she is not a primitive person.
(b) She pretends to be kind, but is really wicked and cruel.
(c) She is totally incompetent, but Beatrice loves her anyway.
(d) She is religious, but has no sense of charity.
5. What is the worst failure of government, according to Ikem?
(a) The reliance on capitalism.
(b) The failure to connect with the poor and dispossessed.
(c) The massive and pervasive corruption.
(d) Subservience to foreign manipulation.
6. What does Ikem say when asked about plans to put the President's image on the national currency?
(a) The President has now officially become a tyrant.
(b) The President must think he is a God.
(c) Any President foolish enough to put his head on a coin invites people to take his head off.
(d) Any President who puts his image on money shows that he can be bought with money.
7. What shocking news is given over the radio at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Ikem has been sacked from his job.
(b) The President is ill and is in the hospital.
(c) The six leaders from Abazon are under arrest for staging an illegal protest.
(d) The leaders from Abazon have mysteriously disappeared--likely kidnapped by the SRC.
8. To what does Chris compare himself, Ikem, and the President?
(a) Three green peacocks strutting proudly.
(b) Three green bottles on a shelf.
(c) Three green saplings about to be chopped for firewood.
(d) Three green beetles singing.
9. In which direction is Chris traveling in Chapter 17?
10. Who comes unexpectedly to see Ikem at his home in Chapter 10?
(a) Members of the Secret Police.
(b) A group of peasants.
(c) People from the Abazon delegation.
(d) Taxi drivers.
11. What do the visitors say they have heard about Ikem?
(a) He fights for the small people.
(b) He stays home, drinks cold beer, and forgets about the people.
(c) He has caused a traffic accident.
(d) He is plotting against the President.
12. Why is the President angry when he meets with Chris in Chapter 11?
(a) Ikem has published yet another article demanding the President step down.
(b) Beatrice has humiliated him in front of the Americans.
(c) Chris wants to resign from his position.
(d) He believes that Ikem helped plan the Abazonians' march on the Palace.
13. When the men show up unexpectedly at Ikem's house in Chapter 10, how do they greet Ikem?
(a) In a friendly but insincere way.
(b) With scowls.
(d) With smiles.
14. What is revealed about Elewa in Chapter 13?
(a) She is actually a spy for the secret police.
(b) She also participated in the plot to overthrow the President.
(c) She wrote the letter incriminating Ikem.
(d) She is pregnant with Ikem's baby.
15. What does the national newspaper report about Ikem the following day?
(a) He has disappeared.
(b) He will be deported immediately.
(c) He is guilty of the crime of regicide.
(d) He is in favor of killing the President.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the President?
2. What will Africa eventually have, according to the poem at the beginning of Chapter 10?
3. What happens to Ikem Osodi?
4. What common convenience can the poor people Chris is staying with not afford?
5. Who is prepared to go on strike to support Chris and protest Ikem's death?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)