|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ikem imply about charity work while addressing the charitable Rotary Club several months before?
(a) It is actually quite unnecessary.
(b) It serves to make the privileged feel good about themselves.
(c) It is the only type of work that is truly worth doing.
(d) It is vital to the future of the nation.
2. What are the rich and powerful like, according to Ikem?
3. What is a main point of Ikem's speech?
(a) Democracy cannot work until the workers and students rid themselves of corruption.
(b) Writers should not simply document social problems, but must propose solutions.
(c) The country must not be run by the elite, but by the common people.
(d) The people must commit themselves to charitable work in order to help the poor.
4. What shocking news do the travelers hear toward the end of Chapter 17?
(a) The President has officially pardoned Chris and he is free to return to Bassa.
(b) The President has been kidnapped and is being held for ransom.
(c) The President has been shot dead in a coup d'etat.
(d) The national government has been overthrown in a coup d'etat.
5. What has Ikem done in the past with his writing, according to the visitors?
(a) Forced the City Council to clean up the city.
(b) Pressured the President to change his mind on important issues.
(c) Helped campaign for newer, safer roads.
(d) Stirred up trouble.
6. What does Elewa say about Ikem's car?
(a) It isn't flashy, but it's dependable.
(b) It makes her ashamed.
(c) It is dangerous to drive.
(d) She is proud to be seen in it.
7. When stopped by a soldier for questioning, what does Chris tell the soldier his profession is?
(a) A mechanic.
(b) A taxi driver.
(c) A motor-parts salesman.
(d) A priest.
8. What happens to the President?
(a) He was kidnapped by "unknown persons" and is presumed dead.
(b) He committed suicide when he learned the coup was imminent.
(c) He fled to England.
(d) He was kidnapped, tortured, shot, and buried in the bush.
9. Why is the President angry when he meets with Chris in Chapter 11?
(a) Beatrice has humiliated him in front of the Americans.
(b) He believes that Ikem helped plan the Abazonians' march on the Palace.
(c) Chris wants to resign from his position.
(d) Ikem has published yet another article demanding the President step down.
10. What does Chris's death teach Emmanuel?
(a) That the world is a cruel place.
(b) That it is possible to die with dignity.
(c) That death is something to be laughed at, not feared.
(d) That life is short and must be savored.
11. In what has Ikem lost his faith?
(b) The monarchy.
(c) The art of journalism.
(d) Public affairs.
12. What is the meaning of the phrase "Ife onye metalu," painted on the front of the bus?
(a) All Saints Bus.
(c) Angel of Mercy.
(d) What a man commits.
13. What kind of car does Ikem drive?
(a) A Mercedes.
(b) A Datsun.
(c) A Peugeot.
(d) A Toyota.
14. In Chapter 11, what does the President demand Chris do?
(a) Break things off with Beatrice, who has insulted the President.
(b) Suspend Ikem from his job as editor of the National Gazette.
(c) Resign immediately as Commissioner of Information.
(d) Spy on Ikem for him.
15. How many people are present to hear the speech?
(a) Over 2000.
(b) Over 5000.
(c) About 500.
(d) Only about 100.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who names Elewa's baby?
2. What is Ikem's mood at the beginning of Chapter 11?
3. Who comes unexpectedly to see Ikem at his home in Chapter 10?
4. Where does Ikem go to make a speech in Chapter 12?
5. Who is prepared to go on strike to support Chris and protest Ikem's death?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)