|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the national newspaper report about Ikem the following day?
(a) He will be deported immediately.
(b) He is guilty of the crime of regicide.
(c) He is in favor of killing the President.
(d) He has disappeared.
2. What is Ikem's opinion of worker leaders and students?
(a) They are corrupt.
(b) They represent the good of the common people.
(c) They hold no power.
(d) They are "ordinary riff-raffs."
3. Where does Ikem go to make a speech in Chapter 12?
(a) To Abazon.
(b) To the University of Bassa.
(c) To the Presidential Palace.
(d) To the American Embassy.
4. What does Ikem offer the soldier who stops him for questioning?
(a) Palm wine.
(b) Kola nuts.
(c) A bribe.
(d) A blessing.
5. What is the worst failure of government, according to Ikem?
(a) Subservience to foreign manipulation.
(b) The massive and pervasive corruption.
(c) The reliance on capitalism.
(d) The failure to connect with the poor and dispossessed.
6. Who does Ikem liken himself to at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) An explorer.
(b) A poet.
(c) A laborer.
(d) A beaten-down slave.
7. What shocking news is given over the radio at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) The six leaders from Abazon are under arrest for staging an illegal protest.
(b) The President is ill and is in the hospital.
(c) Ikem has been sacked from his job.
(d) The leaders from Abazon have mysteriously disappeared--likely kidnapped by the SRC.
8. In what has Ikem lost his faith?
(b) The monarchy.
(c) The art of journalism.
(d) Public affairs.
9. What makes Chris smile as he dies?
(a) He smiled because the President was dead and Kangan would be free again.
(b) He was smiling as he remembered the innocence of the past.
(c) He smiled as he thought of Beatrice, his one true love.
(d) He was smiling at the irony of how the three once-proud friends had fallen.
10. Who names Elewa's baby?
(a) The group of friends name her together.
(b) Beatrice's servant, Agatha.
(c) Elewa's elderly uncle.
11. The visitors call Ikem "oga." What do you guess is the meaning of that word?
(a) Writer or storyteller.
(b) Important man.
12. Why is the President angry when he meets with Chris in Chapter 11?
(a) Ikem has published yet another article demanding the President step down.
(b) He believes that Ikem helped plan the Abazonians' march on the Palace.
(c) Chris wants to resign from his position.
(d) Beatrice has humiliated him in front of the Americans.
13. In which direction is Chris traveling in Chapter 17?
14. What shocking news do the travelers hear toward the end of Chapter 17?
(a) The national government has been overthrown in a coup d'etat.
(b) The President has officially pardoned Chris and he is free to return to Bassa.
(c) The President has been kidnapped and is being held for ransom.
(d) The President has been shot dead in a coup d'etat.
15. What do the visitors say they have heard about Ikem?
(a) He fights for the small people.
(b) He is plotting against the President.
(c) He has caused a traffic accident.
(d) He stays home, drinks cold beer, and forgets about the people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is true about Elewa?
2. Who is prepared to go on strike to support Chris and protest Ikem's death?
3. What is revealed about Elewa in Chapter 13?
4. According to Professor Okong, why has the President been upset with both Chris and Ikem for the past two years?
5. What should political leaders NOT do, according to Ikem?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)