|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of car does Ikem drive?
(a) A Datsun.
(b) A Peugeot.
(c) A Mercedes.
(d) A Toyota.
2. According to the poem at the beginning of Chapter 10, what is Africa?
(a) A whipped slave.
(b) An impetuous son.
(c) A young tree.
(d) A back trembling with red scars.
3. In Chapter 11, what does the President demand Chris do?
(a) Spy on Ikem for him.
(b) Resign immediately as Commissioner of Information.
(c) Suspend Ikem from his job as editor of the National Gazette.
(d) Break things off with Beatrice, who has insulted the President.
4. Who is Ikem preparing to see in Chapter 10?
(a) Mad Medico.
(d) The President.
5. What is Ikem's opinion of worker leaders and students?
(a) They are corrupt.
(b) They hold no power.
(c) They represent the good of the common people.
(d) They are "ordinary riff-raffs."
6. The visitors call Ikem "oga." What do you guess is the meaning of that word?
(a) Important man.
(d) Writer or storyteller.
7. Who is Braimoh?
(a) A student union leader.
(b) Chris's former government aide.
(c) A taxi driver.
(d) A priest.
8. Who is Emmanuel?
(a) A student union leader.
(b) A taxi driver.
(c) The person who arranged for him to take a flight to London.
(d) Chris's former government aide.
9. What do the men who visit Ikem want from him?
(a) They threaten him with death if he continues his crusade.
(b) To say he should write an article about Abazon.
(c) To apologize for causing him trouble in traffic.
(d) To warn that his life may be in danger.
10. What makes Chris smile as he dies?
(a) He smiled as he thought of Beatrice, his one true love.
(b) He smiled because the President was dead and Kangan would be free again.
(c) He was smiling as he remembered the innocence of the past.
(d) He was smiling at the irony of how the three once-proud friends had fallen.
11. What shocking news do the travelers hear toward the end of Chapter 17?
(a) The President has been shot dead in a coup d'etat.
(b) The President has officially pardoned Chris and he is free to return to Bassa.
(c) The national government has been overthrown in a coup d'etat.
(d) The President has been kidnapped and is being held for ransom.
12. What difficulty do Beatrice and Chris encounter on their last night together?
(a) They lie awake fearing they will be found out by security forces.
(b) They must sleep on the floor, as there is no bed.
(c) The tent is filled with mosquitoes.
(d) They wake Braimoh's children with their love-making.
13. What does Ikem offer the soldier who stops him for questioning?
(a) Kola nuts.
(b) A bribe.
(c) Palm wine.
(d) A blessing.
14. What is the job of Ikem's prospective mother-in-law (Elewa's mother)?
(a) She is a peasant.
(b) She is a union leader.
(c) She is a market-woman who sells cloth.
(d) She is a professor at the university.
15. Which of the following is true about Elewa?
(a) She is well-educated, but unsure of herself.
(b) She is well-educated and confident.
(c) She is semi-illiterate and very insecure.
(d) She is semi-illiterate, but very self-confident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the visitors say they have heard about Ikem?
2. What has Ikem done in the past with his writing, according to the visitors?
3. What should political leaders NOT do, according to Ikem?
4. What common convenience can the poor people Chris is staying with not afford?
5. What does Chris realize at the end of Chapter 15?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)