|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ikem liken himself to at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) A laborer.
(b) A poet.
(c) A beaten-down slave.
(d) An explorer.
2. What do the visitors say they have heard about Ikem?
(a) He fights for the small people.
(b) He is plotting against the President.
(c) He stays home, drinks cold beer, and forgets about the people.
(d) He has caused a traffic accident.
3. Who is Braimoh?
(a) A student union leader.
(b) Chris's former government aide.
(c) A priest.
(d) A taxi driver.
4. Who does Ikem point out is not in the audience?
5. To what does Chris compare himself, Ikem, and the President?
(a) Three green saplings about to be chopped for firewood.
(b) Three green peacocks strutting proudly.
(c) Three green bottles on a shelf.
(d) Three green beetles singing.
6. Why is the President angry when he meets with Chris in Chapter 11?
(a) Ikem has published yet another article demanding the President step down.
(b) Chris wants to resign from his position.
(c) He believes that Ikem helped plan the Abazonians' march on the Palace.
(d) Beatrice has humiliated him in front of the Americans.
7. What common convenience can the poor people Chris is staying with not afford?
(c) A stove to heat water.
(d) Bug spray.
8. What other piece of false information is given by the newspaper about Chris?
(a) He is missing and presumed dead.
(b) He is now in police custody.
(c) He is wanted by security officers.
(d) He may have fled for London.
9. According to the poem at the beginning of Chapter 10, what is Africa?
(a) A young tree.
(b) A whipped slave.
(c) An impetuous son.
(d) A back trembling with red scars.
10. Who is deported within forty-eight hours after Ikem's speech?
(b) Mad Medico.
(d) The leader of the University of Bassa Student Union.
11. What happens to the President?
(a) He was kidnapped, tortured, shot, and buried in the bush.
(b) He was kidnapped by "unknown persons" and is presumed dead.
(c) He committed suicide when he learned the coup was imminent.
(d) He fled to England.
12. What type of government is proposed by one of the audience members?
(a) A democratic dictatorship led by the working class, or proletariat.
(b) A Western-style democracy led by the middle class, or bourgeoisie.
(c) An oligarchy led by the educated people of the nation.
(d) A theocratic dictatorship guided by the principles of Islam.
13. What makes Chris smile as he dies?
(a) He smiled as he thought of Beatrice, his one true love.
(b) He was smiling as he remembered the innocence of the past.
(c) He smiled because the President was dead and Kangan would be free again.
(d) He was smiling at the irony of how the three once-proud friends had fallen.
14. What is the job of Ikem's prospective mother-in-law (Elewa's mother)?
(a) She is a peasant.
(b) She is a professor at the university.
(c) She is a union leader.
(d) She is a market-woman who sells cloth.
15. Which of the following does Beatrice realize about her servant, Agatha?
(a) She is totally incompetent, but Beatrice loves her anyway.
(b) Although she worships "primitive" gods, she is not a primitive person.
(c) She pretends to be kind, but is really wicked and cruel.
(d) She is religious, but has no sense of charity.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Professor Okong, why has the President been upset with both Chris and Ikem for the past two years?
2. What is the meaning of the phrase "Ife onye metalu," painted on the front of the bus?
3. What do members of the Civil Service Union say about Ikem Osodi?
4. What does Ikem offer the soldier who stops him for questioning?
5. Which of the following is true about Elewa?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)