|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ikem say when asked about plans to put the President's image on the national currency?
(a) The President must think he is a God.
(b) Any President who puts his image on money shows that he can be bought with money.
(c) The President has now officially become a tyrant.
(d) Any President foolish enough to put his head on a coin invites people to take his head off.
2. What does the national newspaper report about Ikem the following day?
(a) He will be deported immediately.
(b) He has disappeared.
(c) He is guilty of the crime of regicide.
(d) He is in favor of killing the President.
3. What are the rich and powerful like, according to Ikem?
4. Which of the following is true about Elewa?
(a) She is semi-illiterate, but very self-confident.
(b) She is well-educated, but unsure of herself.
(c) She is semi-illiterate and very insecure.
(d) She is well-educated and confident.
5. In Chapter 11, what does the President demand Chris do?
(a) Suspend Ikem from his job as editor of the National Gazette.
(b) Break things off with Beatrice, who has insulted the President.
(c) Spy on Ikem for him.
(d) Resign immediately as Commissioner of Information.
6. To what does Chris compare himself, Ikem, and the President?
(a) Three green beetles singing.
(b) Three green saplings about to be chopped for firewood.
(c) Three green bottles on a shelf.
(d) Three green peacocks strutting proudly.
7. What is the job of Ikem's prospective mother-in-law (Elewa's mother)?
(a) She is a market-woman who sells cloth.
(b) She is a peasant.
(c) She is a union leader.
(d) She is a professor at the university.
8. What does Elewa say about Ikem's car?
(a) It isn't flashy, but it's dependable.
(b) It makes her ashamed.
(c) She is proud to be seen in it.
(d) It is dangerous to drive.
9. What kind of car does Ikem drive?
(a) A Toyota.
(b) A Datsun.
(c) A Peugeot.
(d) A Mercedes.
10. Who is Braimoh?
(a) A taxi driver.
(b) Chris's former government aide.
(c) A student union leader.
(d) A priest.
11. In what has Ikem lost his faith?
(a) The art of journalism.
(b) The monarchy.
(c) Public affairs.
12. What should political leaders NOT do, according to Ikem?
(a) Drive luxury cars or otherwise show off their wealth.
(b) Mingle with the poor or make friends with poor and low-class people.
(c) Pretend to be like the poor by wearing aged jeans.
(d) They can do anything they like.
13. What difficulty do Beatrice and Chris encounter on their last night together?
(a) They wake Braimoh's children with their love-making.
(b) They must sleep on the floor, as there is no bed.
(c) The tent is filled with mosquitoes.
(d) They lie awake fearing they will be found out by security forces.
14. Which of the following best describes Ikem's speeches?
(a) They are serious speeches with little or no humor.
(b) They are not typically controversial.
(c) They can be shocking and even offensive to their listeners.
(d) They make listeners feel good about themselves and their land.
15. According to Ikem, who poses a threat to leadership?
(b) The poor and dispossessed.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Professor Okong, why has the President been upset with both Chris and Ikem for the past two years?
2. Who do political leaders always claim to be working for, according to Ikem?
3. What ceremony is Beatrice planning to hold in her apartment at the beginning of Chapter 18?
4. What does Chris ask for at a restaurant that he cannot get?
5. When the men show up unexpectedly at Ikem's house in Chapter 10, how do they greet Ikem?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)