|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do members of the Civil Service Union say about Ikem Osodi?
(a) He is nothing more than ordinary riff-raff.
(b) He is a communist.
(c) He is an elitist.
(d) He is corrupt.
2. Who is deported within forty-eight hours after Ikem's speech?
(a) The leader of the University of Bassa Student Union.
(c) Mad Medico.
3. What is Ikem's opinion of worker leaders and students?
(a) They hold no power.
(b) They are "ordinary riff-raffs."
(c) They are corrupt.
(d) They represent the good of the common people.
4. Which of the following does Beatrice realize about her servant, Agatha?
(a) Although she worships "primitive" gods, she is not a primitive person.
(b) She pretends to be kind, but is really wicked and cruel.
(c) She is religious, but has no sense of charity.
(d) She is totally incompetent, but Beatrice loves her anyway.
5. Which of the following is true about Elewa?
(a) She is semi-illiterate, but very self-confident.
(b) She is semi-illiterate and very insecure.
(c) She is well-educated and confident.
(d) She is well-educated, but unsure of herself.
6. What do the visitors say they have heard about Ikem?
(a) He is plotting against the President.
(b) He fights for the small people.
(c) He has caused a traffic accident.
(d) He stays home, drinks cold beer, and forgets about the people.
7. What do the men who visit Ikem want from him?
(a) They threaten him with death if he continues his crusade.
(b) To say he should write an article about Abazon.
(c) To warn that his life may be in danger.
(d) To apologize for causing him trouble in traffic.
8. According to Professor Okong, why has the President been upset with both Chris and Ikem for the past two years?
(a) He is still bitter about the way they gossiped about his English girlfriend.
(b) He thinks they have been working behind his back to have him overthrown.
(c) They did not help ensure his election as President for life.
(d) They have been leaking information about him to the foreign press.
9. How does the landscape change as the bus continues on its journey?
(a) It changes from flat plains to rugged mountains.
(b) It changes from rainforest to increasingly dry grassland.
(c) It changes from arid desert to lush rainforest.
(d) It changes from flat plains to rolling hills and valleys.
10. Who is Braimoh?
(a) A priest.
(b) A taxi driver.
(c) A student union leader.
(d) Chris's former government aide.
11. Who does Ikem liken himself to at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) A beaten-down slave.
(b) A poet.
(c) An explorer.
(d) A laborer.
12. What message does Beatrice receive from an anonymous caller at the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) Chris will be sent to London that night.
(b) Chris must be moved to a new hiding place.
(c) Chris wants to meet with her that evening.
(d) Chris's hiding place is secure and she should not worry.
13. What does the national newspaper report about Ikem the following day?
(a) He is in favor of killing the President.
(b) He will be deported immediately.
(c) He has disappeared.
(d) He is guilty of the crime of regicide.
14. Who is Emmanuel?
(a) The person who arranged for him to take a flight to London.
(b) Chris's former government aide.
(c) A taxi driver.
(d) A student union leader.
15. Who names Elewa's baby?
(b) Elewa's elderly uncle.
(c) Beatrice's servant, Agatha.
(d) The group of friends name her together.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ikem go to make a speech in Chapter 12?
2. According to Ikem, who poses a threat to leadership?
3. What kind of car does Ikem drive?
4. What makes Chris smile as he dies?
5. What has Ikem done in the past with his writing, according to the visitors?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)