|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chris find when he goes to Ikem's apartment?
(a) Ikem's flat is in a shambles.
(b) A letter Ikem wrote to the editor of the Gazette.
(c) Ikem's body, along with a suicide note.
(d) Army jeeps are outside the flat.
2. To what does Chris compare himself, Ikem, and the President?
(a) Three green beetles singing.
(b) Three green peacocks strutting proudly.
(c) Three green bottles on a shelf.
(d) Three green saplings about to be chopped for firewood.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 16, where is Chris planning to travel?
(a) To London.
(b) To the province of Abazon.
(c) To guerrilla camps in the mountains.
(d) To the sea coast in the west, where he can catch a boat to America.
4. What shocking news is given over the radio at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) The President is ill and is in the hospital.
(b) The six leaders from Abazon are under arrest for staging an illegal protest.
(c) Ikem has been sacked from his job.
(d) The leaders from Abazon have mysteriously disappeared--likely kidnapped by the SRC.
5. Who comes unexpectedly to see Ikem at his home in Chapter 10?
(a) People from the Abazon delegation.
(b) A group of peasants.
(c) Taxi drivers.
(d) Members of the Secret Police.
6. Which of the following is true about Elewa?
(a) She is semi-illiterate, but very self-confident.
(b) She is well-educated and confident.
(c) She is well-educated, but unsure of herself.
(d) She is semi-illiterate and very insecure.
7. What is revealed about Elewa in Chapter 13?
(a) She wrote the letter incriminating Ikem.
(b) She also participated in the plot to overthrow the President.
(c) She is actually a spy for the secret police.
(d) She is pregnant with Ikem's baby.
8. Who do political leaders always claim to be working for, according to Ikem?
(a) Big business.
(d) The people.
9. What does Chris's death teach Emmanuel?
(a) That the world is a cruel place.
(b) That death is something to be laughed at, not feared.
(c) That life is short and must be savored.
(d) That it is possible to die with dignity.
10. How does Chris die?
(a) He is shot while saving a girl from being raped by a police officer.
(b) He dies of a combination of shock and heatstroke after learning of the coup.
(c) An old man identifies him as the Commissioner for Information, and he is shot by police for the reward.
(d) He stumbles in the road and is hit by a bus.
11. In what has Ikem lost his faith?
(b) Public affairs.
(c) The monarchy.
(d) The art of journalism.
12. What does Ikem say is the title of his speech?
(a) Samson and Jezebel.
(b) The Tortoise and the Leopard.
(c) Caesar and Brutus.
(d) The Elephant and the Mouse.
13. What is Ikem's opinion of worker leaders and students?
(a) They represent the good of the common people.
(b) They hold no power.
(c) They are corrupt.
(d) They are "ordinary riff-raffs."
14. What typically happens at police and army checkpoints?
(a) The guards ask for every passenger's identification papers.
(b) The guards rifle through the passengers' belongings and confiscate any valuables.
(c) The guards take a bribe from the bus driver and send him on his way.
(d) Everyone must get off the bus for questioning.
15. What happens to Ikem Osodi?
(a) He is shot by the secret police.
(b) He is publicly executed.
(c) He is tortured and killed by government agents.
(d) He commits suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people call the type of bus Chris and his companions take?
2. According to Professor Okong, why has the President been upset with both Chris and Ikem for the past two years?
3. Who names Elewa's baby?
4. What do the visitors say they have heard about Ikem?
5. In which direction is Chris traveling in Chapter 17?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)