|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What typically happens at police and army checkpoints?
(a) Everyone must get off the bus for questioning.
(b) The guards rifle through the passengers' belongings and confiscate any valuables.
(c) The guards ask for every passenger's identification papers.
(d) The guards take a bribe from the bus driver and send him on his way.
2. What message does Beatrice receive from an anonymous caller at the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) Chris's hiding place is secure and she should not worry.
(b) Chris must be moved to a new hiding place.
(c) Chris will be sent to London that night.
(d) Chris wants to meet with her that evening.
3. What is revealed about Elewa in Chapter 13?
(a) She is pregnant with Ikem's baby.
(b) She is actually a spy for the secret police.
(c) She wrote the letter incriminating Ikem.
(d) She also participated in the plot to overthrow the President.
4. What makes Chris smile as he dies?
(a) He smiled as he thought of Beatrice, his one true love.
(b) He smiled because the President was dead and Kangan would be free again.
(c) He was smiling as he remembered the innocence of the past.
(d) He was smiling at the irony of how the three once-proud friends had fallen.
5. What is a main point of Ikem's speech?
(a) The people must commit themselves to charitable work in order to help the poor.
(b) Democracy cannot work until the workers and students rid themselves of corruption.
(c) The country must not be run by the elite, but by the common people.
(d) Writers should not simply document social problems, but must propose solutions.
6. What do the visitors say they have heard about Ikem?
(a) He stays home, drinks cold beer, and forgets about the people.
(b) He has caused a traffic accident.
(c) He is plotting against the President.
(d) He fights for the small people.
7. What difficulty do Beatrice and Chris encounter on their last night together?
(a) They wake Braimoh's children with their love-making.
(b) The tent is filled with mosquitoes.
(c) They lie awake fearing they will be found out by security forces.
(d) They must sleep on the floor, as there is no bed.
8. Who will make the journey with Chris?
(a) Elewa and Emmanuel.
(b) Braimoh and his wife, Aina.
(c) Elewa and Braimoh.
(d) Braimoh and Emmanuel.
9. According to Ikem, who poses a threat to leadership?
(c) The poor and dispossessed.
10. What does Ikem say is the title of his speech?
(a) The Tortoise and the Leopard.
(b) The Elephant and the Mouse.
(c) Caesar and Brutus.
(d) Samson and Jezebel.
11. What does Chris's death teach Emmanuel?
(a) That it is possible to die with dignity.
(b) That death is something to be laughed at, not feared.
(c) That life is short and must be savored.
(d) That the world is a cruel place.
12. What do the men who visit Ikem want from him?
(a) To apologize for causing him trouble in traffic.
(b) They threaten him with death if he continues his crusade.
(c) To warn that his life may be in danger.
(d) To say he should write an article about Abazon.
13. What is the job of Ikem's prospective mother-in-law (Elewa's mother)?
(a) She is a market-woman who sells cloth.
(b) She is a peasant.
(c) She is a professor at the university.
(d) She is a union leader.
14. What should political leaders NOT do, according to Ikem?
(a) Drive luxury cars or otherwise show off their wealth.
(b) Mingle with the poor or make friends with poor and low-class people.
(c) Pretend to be like the poor by wearing aged jeans.
(d) They can do anything they like.
15. How many people are present to hear the speech?
(a) About 500.
(b) Over 5000.
(c) Over 2000.
(d) Only about 100.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ikem imply about charity work while addressing the charitable Rotary Club several months before?
2. What does Chris find when he goes to Ikem's apartment?
3. Which of the following best describes Ikem's speeches?
4. Who names Elewa's baby?
5. What shocking news do the travelers hear toward the end of Chapter 17?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)