|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of car does Ikem drive?
(a) A Peugeot.
(b) A Datsun.
(c) A Mercedes.
(d) A Toyota.
2. What does Ikem imply about charity work while addressing the charitable Rotary Club several months before?
(a) It is vital to the future of the nation.
(b) It serves to make the privileged feel good about themselves.
(c) It is the only type of work that is truly worth doing.
(d) It is actually quite unnecessary.
3. What happens to Ikem Osodi?
(a) He is tortured and killed by government agents.
(b) He is shot by the secret police.
(c) He commits suicide.
(d) He is publicly executed.
4. Who is Braimoh?
(a) A taxi driver.
(b) A student union leader.
(c) A priest.
(d) Chris's former government aide.
5. What does the national newspaper report about Ikem the following day?
(a) He is guilty of the crime of regicide.
(b) He has disappeared.
(c) He is in favor of killing the President.
(d) He will be deported immediately.
6. When stopped by a soldier for questioning, what does Chris tell the soldier his profession is?
(a) A taxi driver.
(b) A priest.
(c) A mechanic.
(d) A motor-parts salesman.
7. What will Africa eventually have, according to the poem at the beginning of Chapter 10?
8. In which direction is Chris traveling in Chapter 17?
9. Who will make the journey with Chris?
(a) Braimoh and Emmanuel.
(b) Elewa and Braimoh.
(c) Elewa and Emmanuel.
(d) Braimoh and his wife, Aina.
10. Where does Ikem go to make a speech in Chapter 12?
(a) To Abazon.
(b) To the University of Bassa.
(c) To the American Embassy.
(d) To the Presidential Palace.
11. How many people are present to hear the speech?
(a) Over 2000.
(b) Over 5000.
(c) About 500.
(d) Only about 100.
12. What is a main point of Ikem's speech?
(a) Democracy cannot work until the workers and students rid themselves of corruption.
(b) The people must commit themselves to charitable work in order to help the poor.
(c) Writers should not simply document social problems, but must propose solutions.
(d) The country must not be run by the elite, but by the common people.
13. Who does Ikem liken himself to at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) A beaten-down slave.
(b) A laborer.
(c) An explorer.
(d) A poet.
14. Who is Ikem preparing to see in Chapter 10?
(b) Mad Medico.
(d) The President.
15. What difficulty do Beatrice and Chris encounter on their last night together?
(a) They must sleep on the floor, as there is no bed.
(b) They lie awake fearing they will be found out by security forces.
(c) They wake Braimoh's children with their love-making.
(d) The tent is filled with mosquitoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people call the type of bus Chris and his companions take?
2. How does Chris die?
3. What do members of the Civil Service Union say about Ikem Osodi?
4. Who does Ikem point out is not in the audience?
5. Who names Elewa's baby?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)