|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the President angry when he meets with Chris in Chapter 11?
(a) Beatrice has humiliated him in front of the Americans.
(b) He believes that Ikem helped plan the Abazonians' march on the Palace.
(c) Ikem has published yet another article demanding the President step down.
(d) Chris wants to resign from his position.
2. What will Africa eventually have, according to the poem at the beginning of Chapter 10?
3. Who does Ikem liken himself to at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) A beaten-down slave.
(b) An explorer.
(c) A laborer.
(d) A poet.
4. What should political leaders NOT do, according to Ikem?
(a) Pretend to be like the poor by wearing aged jeans.
(b) Mingle with the poor or make friends with poor and low-class people.
(c) Drive luxury cars or otherwise show off their wealth.
(d) They can do anything they like.
5. What do the men who visit Ikem want from him?
(a) They threaten him with death if he continues his crusade.
(b) To apologize for causing him trouble in traffic.
(c) To say he should write an article about Abazon.
(d) To warn that his life may be in danger.
6. What does Chris ask for at a restaurant that he cannot get?
(a) Clean water.
(c) Fresh vegetables.
7. What does Chris want to do?
(a) Discuss the issue with Ikem first.
(b) Give Beatrice another chance.
(d) Suspend Ikem.
8. Which of the following does Beatrice realize about her servant, Agatha?
(a) She is totally incompetent, but Beatrice loves her anyway.
(b) Although she worships "primitive" gods, she is not a primitive person.
(c) She is religious, but has no sense of charity.
(d) She pretends to be kind, but is really wicked and cruel.
9. Who is Ikem preparing to see in Chapter 10?
(b) The President.
(c) Mad Medico.
10. What does Chris find when he goes to Ikem's apartment?
(a) Ikem's body, along with a suicide note.
(b) A letter Ikem wrote to the editor of the Gazette.
(c) Army jeeps are outside the flat.
(d) Ikem's flat is in a shambles.
11. How does the landscape change as the bus continues on its journey?
(a) It changes from rainforest to increasingly dry grassland.
(b) It changes from flat plains to rolling hills and valleys.
(c) It changes from arid desert to lush rainforest.
(d) It changes from flat plains to rugged mountains.
12. Who is deported within forty-eight hours after Ikem's speech?
(b) The leader of the University of Bassa Student Union.
(d) Mad Medico.
13. What does Elewa say about Ikem's car?
(a) It makes her ashamed.
(b) She is proud to be seen in it.
(c) It isn't flashy, but it's dependable.
(d) It is dangerous to drive.
14. What happens to the President?
(a) He was kidnapped by "unknown persons" and is presumed dead.
(b) He fled to England.
(c) He committed suicide when he learned the coup was imminent.
(d) He was kidnapped, tortured, shot, and buried in the bush.
15. Which of the following best describes Ikem's speeches?
(a) They make listeners feel good about themselves and their land.
(b) They can be shocking and even offensive to their listeners.
(c) They are serious speeches with little or no humor.
(d) They are not typically controversial.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ikem's opinion of worker leaders and students?
2. Who will make the journey with Chris?
3. What does Ikem say when asked about plans to put the President's image on the national currency?
4. According to Professor Okong, why has the President been upset with both Chris and Ikem for the past two years?
5. What shocking news is given over the radio at the end of Chapter 11?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)