|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chris ask for at a restaurant that he cannot get?
(b) Clean water.
(d) Fresh vegetables.
2. What is the meaning of Amaechina, the name of Elewa and Ikem's baby girl?
(a) May the path never close.
(b) The remnant shall return.
(c) A woman is also something.
(d) A new hope is born.
3. Where does Ikem go to make a speech in Chapter 12?
(a) To Abazon.
(b) To the Presidential Palace.
(c) To the University of Bassa.
(d) To the American Embassy.
4. How does Chris die?
(a) He dies of a combination of shock and heatstroke after learning of the coup.
(b) He stumbles in the road and is hit by a bus.
(c) An old man identifies him as the Commissioner for Information, and he is shot by police for the reward.
(d) He is shot while saving a girl from being raped by a police officer.
5. What should political leaders NOT do, according to Ikem?
(a) They can do anything they like.
(b) Pretend to be like the poor by wearing aged jeans.
(c) Mingle with the poor or make friends with poor and low-class people.
(d) Drive luxury cars or otherwise show off their wealth.
6. Who do political leaders always claim to be working for, according to Ikem?
(a) Big business.
(c) The people.
7. What does Ikem offer the soldier who stops him for questioning?
(a) Palm wine.
(b) A bribe.
(c) A blessing.
(d) Kola nuts.
8. Who does Ikem point out is not in the audience?
9. What does Chris find when he goes to Ikem's apartment?
(a) Ikem's flat is in a shambles.
(b) A letter Ikem wrote to the editor of the Gazette.
(c) Army jeeps are outside the flat.
(d) Ikem's body, along with a suicide note.
10. According to the poem at the beginning of Chapter 10, what is Africa?
(a) A whipped slave.
(b) A back trembling with red scars.
(c) An impetuous son.
(d) A young tree.
11. What happens to Ikem Osodi?
(a) He is publicly executed.
(b) He commits suicide.
(c) He is tortured and killed by government agents.
(d) He is shot by the secret police.
12. What typically happens at police and army checkpoints?
(a) The guards ask for every passenger's identification papers.
(b) The guards rifle through the passengers' belongings and confiscate any valuables.
(c) Everyone must get off the bus for questioning.
(d) The guards take a bribe from the bus driver and send him on his way.
13. What message does Beatrice receive from an anonymous caller at the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) Chris wants to meet with her that evening.
(b) Chris will be sent to London that night.
(c) Chris's hiding place is secure and she should not worry.
(d) Chris must be moved to a new hiding place.
14. In Chapter 11, what does the President demand Chris do?
(a) Break things off with Beatrice, who has insulted the President.
(b) Suspend Ikem from his job as editor of the National Gazette.
(c) Spy on Ikem for him.
(d) Resign immediately as Commissioner of Information.
15. Which of the following best describes Ikem's speeches?
(a) They can be shocking and even offensive to their listeners.
(b) They are serious speeches with little or no humor.
(c) They are not typically controversial.
(d) They make listeners feel good about themselves and their land.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Chris compare himself, Ikem, and the President?
2. According to the National Gazette, Chris is spotted wearing what disguise?
3. What common convenience can the poor people Chris is staying with not afford?
4. What is the meaning of the phrase "Ife onye metalu," painted on the front of the bus?
5. What is the worst failure of government, according to Ikem?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)