|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes unexpectedly to see Ikem at his home in Chapter 10?
(a) Taxi drivers.
(b) People from the Abazon delegation.
(c) A group of peasants.
(d) Members of the Secret Police.
2. Who is Ikem preparing to see in Chapter 10?
(c) The President.
(d) Mad Medico.
3. What happens to the President?
(a) He committed suicide when he learned the coup was imminent.
(b) He was kidnapped, tortured, shot, and buried in the bush.
(c) He was kidnapped by "unknown persons" and is presumed dead.
(d) He fled to England.
4. What does Ikem offer the soldier who stops him for questioning?
(a) A bribe.
(b) A blessing.
(c) Kola nuts.
(d) Palm wine.
5. According to Ikem, who poses a threat to leadership?
(d) The poor and dispossessed.
6. How does Chris die?
(a) An old man identifies him as the Commissioner for Information, and he is shot by police for the reward.
(b) He stumbles in the road and is hit by a bus.
(c) He dies of a combination of shock and heatstroke after learning of the coup.
(d) He is shot while saving a girl from being raped by a police officer.
7. What does the national newspaper report about Ikem the following day?
(a) He has disappeared.
(b) He is guilty of the crime of regicide.
(c) He is in favor of killing the President.
(d) He will be deported immediately.
8. What message does Beatrice receive from an anonymous caller at the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) Chris must be moved to a new hiding place.
(b) Chris's hiding place is secure and she should not worry.
(c) Chris wants to meet with her that evening.
(d) Chris will be sent to London that night.
9. What type of government is proposed by one of the audience members?
(a) A theocratic dictatorship guided by the principles of Islam.
(b) An oligarchy led by the educated people of the nation.
(c) A Western-style democracy led by the middle class, or bourgeoisie.
(d) A democratic dictatorship led by the working class, or proletariat.
10. What is the meaning of Amaechina, the name of Elewa and Ikem's baby girl?
(a) May the path never close.
(b) A woman is also something.
(c) The remnant shall return.
(d) A new hope is born.
11. The visitors call Ikem "oga." What do you guess is the meaning of that word?
(b) Writer or storyteller.
(d) Important man.
12. What does Chris find when he goes to Ikem's apartment?
(a) Ikem's body, along with a suicide note.
(b) Army jeeps are outside the flat.
(c) Ikem's flat is in a shambles.
(d) A letter Ikem wrote to the editor of the Gazette.
13. What should political leaders NOT do, according to Ikem?
(a) Pretend to be like the poor by wearing aged jeans.
(b) Drive luxury cars or otherwise show off their wealth.
(c) Mingle with the poor or make friends with poor and low-class people.
(d) They can do anything they like.
14. What is the meaning of the phrase "Ife onye metalu," painted on the front of the bus?
(a) All Saints Bus.
(c) What a man commits.
(d) Angel of Mercy.
15. What other piece of false information is given by the newspaper about Chris?
(a) He is wanted by security officers.
(b) He is missing and presumed dead.
(c) He may have fled for London.
(d) He is now in police custody.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Braimoh?
2. What does Elewa say about Ikem's car?
3. Who do political leaders always claim to be working for, according to Ikem?
4. Why is the President angry when he meets with Chris in Chapter 11?
5. Who is Emmanuel?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)