|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What typically happens at police and army checkpoints?
(a) The guards rifle through the passengers' belongings and confiscate any valuables.
(b) The guards take a bribe from the bus driver and send him on his way.
(c) The guards ask for every passenger's identification papers.
(d) Everyone must get off the bus for questioning.
2. Who is prepared to go on strike to support Chris and protest Ikem's death?
(a) Taxi drivers.
(b) Factory laborers.
(c) Members of the President's Cabinet.
(d) University students.
3. How does Chris die?
(a) He stumbles in the road and is hit by a bus.
(b) He is shot while saving a girl from being raped by a police officer.
(c) He dies of a combination of shock and heatstroke after learning of the coup.
(d) An old man identifies him as the Commissioner for Information, and he is shot by police for the reward.
4. Who is Ikem preparing to see in Chapter 10?
(b) The President.
(c) Mad Medico.
5. According to Professor Okong, why has the President been upset with both Chris and Ikem for the past two years?
(a) They have been leaking information about him to the foreign press.
(b) He is still bitter about the way they gossiped about his English girlfriend.
(c) He thinks they have been working behind his back to have him overthrown.
(d) They did not help ensure his election as President for life.
6. Who does Ikem liken himself to at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) A beaten-down slave.
(b) A laborer.
(c) A poet.
(d) An explorer.
7. In what has Ikem lost his faith?
(a) The art of journalism.
(c) Public affairs.
(d) The monarchy.
8. Where does Ikem go to make a speech in Chapter 12?
(a) To the American Embassy.
(b) To Abazon.
(c) To the University of Bassa.
(d) To the Presidential Palace.
9. What shocking news do the travelers hear toward the end of Chapter 17?
(a) The President has been kidnapped and is being held for ransom.
(b) The national government has been overthrown in a coup d'etat.
(c) The President has officially pardoned Chris and he is free to return to Bassa.
(d) The President has been shot dead in a coup d'etat.
10. What does Chris realize at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) It is not easy for a rich man to pretend he is poor.
(b) He learned nothing of value in college.
(c) The poor are actually much happier than the rich.
(d) He is braver than he ever thought possible.
11. What does Ikem offer the soldier who stops him for questioning?
(a) Palm wine.
(b) A blessing.
(c) Kola nuts.
(d) A bribe.
12. What does Ikem say when asked about plans to put the President's image on the national currency?
(a) The President must think he is a God.
(b) Any President who puts his image on money shows that he can be bought with money.
(c) The President has now officially become a tyrant.
(d) Any President foolish enough to put his head on a coin invites people to take his head off.
13. What does Ikem say is the title of his speech?
(a) Samson and Jezebel.
(b) The Elephant and the Mouse.
(c) The Tortoise and the Leopard.
(d) Caesar and Brutus.
14. What will Africa eventually have, according to the poem at the beginning of Chapter 10?
15. What do the visitors say they have heard about Ikem?
(a) He stays home, drinks cold beer, and forgets about the people.
(b) He has caused a traffic accident.
(c) He is plotting against the President.
(d) He fights for the small people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the President?
2. What is Ikem's mood at the beginning of Chapter 11?
3. Who is Braimoh?
4. What message does Beatrice receive from an anonymous caller at the beginning of Chapter 14?
5. What are the rich and powerful like, according to Ikem?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)