|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chris die?
(a) He is shot while saving a girl from being raped by a police officer.
(b) He stumbles in the road and is hit by a bus.
(c) He dies of a combination of shock and heatstroke after learning of the coup.
(d) An old man identifies him as the Commissioner for Information, and he is shot by police for the reward.
2. What are the rich and powerful like, according to Ikem?
3. Who is Braimoh?
(a) A priest.
(b) A taxi driver.
(c) Chris's former government aide.
(d) A student union leader.
4. Which of the following is true about Elewa?
(a) She is well-educated and confident.
(b) She is well-educated, but unsure of herself.
(c) She is semi-illiterate and very insecure.
(d) She is semi-illiterate, but very self-confident.
5. What is the worst failure of government, according to Ikem?
(a) The massive and pervasive corruption.
(b) The reliance on capitalism.
(c) Subservience to foreign manipulation.
(d) The failure to connect with the poor and dispossessed.
6. What typically happens at police and army checkpoints?
(a) The guards take a bribe from the bus driver and send him on his way.
(b) The guards rifle through the passengers' belongings and confiscate any valuables.
(c) Everyone must get off the bus for questioning.
(d) The guards ask for every passenger's identification papers.
7. What do members of the Civil Service Union say about Ikem Osodi?
(a) He is nothing more than ordinary riff-raff.
(b) He is corrupt.
(c) He is an elitist.
(d) He is a communist.
8. What does Chris ask for at a restaurant that he cannot get?
(a) Clean water.
(b) Fresh vegetables.
9. Where does Ikem go to make a speech in Chapter 12?
(a) To the University of Bassa.
(b) To the American Embassy.
(c) To the Presidential Palace.
(d) To Abazon.
10. What should political leaders NOT do, according to Ikem?
(a) Mingle with the poor or make friends with poor and low-class people.
(b) They can do anything they like.
(c) Drive luxury cars or otherwise show off their wealth.
(d) Pretend to be like the poor by wearing aged jeans.
11. The visitors call Ikem "oga." What do you guess is the meaning of that word?
(b) Important man.
(c) Writer or storyteller.
12. What happens to the President?
(a) He was kidnapped by "unknown persons" and is presumed dead.
(b) He fled to England.
(c) He committed suicide when he learned the coup was imminent.
(d) He was kidnapped, tortured, shot, and buried in the bush.
13. What is the job of Ikem's prospective mother-in-law (Elewa's mother)?
(a) She is a union leader.
(b) She is a peasant.
(c) She is a professor at the university.
(d) She is a market-woman who sells cloth.
14. According to Professor Okong, why has the President been upset with both Chris and Ikem for the past two years?
(a) He thinks they have been working behind his back to have him overthrown.
(b) They have been leaking information about him to the foreign press.
(c) He is still bitter about the way they gossiped about his English girlfriend.
(d) They did not help ensure his election as President for life.
15. What does Chris's death teach Emmanuel?
(a) That death is something to be laughed at, not feared.
(b) That life is short and must be savored.
(c) That the world is a cruel place.
(d) That it is possible to die with dignity.
Short Answer Questions
1. When stopped by a soldier for questioning, what does Chris tell the soldier his profession is?
2. According to the National Gazette, Chris is spotted wearing what disguise?
3. What do the visitors say they have heard about Ikem?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 16, where is Chris planning to travel?
5. Who is deported within forty-eight hours after Ikem's speech?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)