|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ikem, who poses a threat to leadership?
(b) The poor and dispossessed.
2. Where does Ikem go to make a speech in Chapter 12?
(a) To the American Embassy.
(b) To the University of Bassa.
(c) To Abazon.
(d) To the Presidential Palace.
3. What is the worst failure of government, according to Ikem?
(a) Subservience to foreign manipulation.
(b) The failure to connect with the poor and dispossessed.
(c) The massive and pervasive corruption.
(d) The reliance on capitalism.
4. Who is Braimoh?
(a) Chris's former government aide.
(b) A student union leader.
(c) A taxi driver.
(d) A priest.
5. What shocking news is given over the radio at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) The leaders from Abazon have mysteriously disappeared--likely kidnapped by the SRC.
(b) The President is ill and is in the hospital.
(c) The six leaders from Abazon are under arrest for staging an illegal protest.
(d) Ikem has been sacked from his job.
6. What is Ikem's opinion of worker leaders and students?
(a) They are corrupt.
(b) They represent the good of the common people.
(c) They hold no power.
(d) They are "ordinary riff-raffs."
7. What other piece of false information is given by the newspaper about Chris?
(a) He is now in police custody.
(b) He is missing and presumed dead.
(c) He is wanted by security officers.
(d) He may have fled for London.
8. What has Ikem done in the past with his writing, according to the visitors?
(a) Forced the City Council to clean up the city.
(b) Helped campaign for newer, safer roads.
(c) Stirred up trouble.
(d) Pressured the President to change his mind on important issues.
9. What is a main point of Ikem's speech?
(a) Writers should not simply document social problems, but must propose solutions.
(b) Democracy cannot work until the workers and students rid themselves of corruption.
(c) The people must commit themselves to charitable work in order to help the poor.
(d) The country must not be run by the elite, but by the common people.
10. What makes Chris smile as he dies?
(a) He smiled because the President was dead and Kangan would be free again.
(b) He was smiling as he remembered the innocence of the past.
(c) He was smiling at the irony of how the three once-proud friends had fallen.
(d) He smiled as he thought of Beatrice, his one true love.
11. When the men show up unexpectedly at Ikem's house in Chapter 10, how do they greet Ikem?
(b) With scowls.
(c) With smiles.
(d) In a friendly but insincere way.
12. In Chapter 11, what does the President demand Chris do?
(a) Suspend Ikem from his job as editor of the National Gazette.
(b) Spy on Ikem for him.
(c) Break things off with Beatrice, who has insulted the President.
(d) Resign immediately as Commissioner of Information.
13. When stopped by a soldier for questioning, what does Chris tell the soldier his profession is?
(a) A priest.
(b) A taxi driver.
(c) A mechanic.
(d) A motor-parts salesman.
14. What does Chris find when he goes to Ikem's apartment?
(a) Army jeeps are outside the flat.
(b) Ikem's flat is in a shambles.
(c) Ikem's body, along with a suicide note.
(d) A letter Ikem wrote to the editor of the Gazette.
15. What do the men who visit Ikem want from him?
(a) To say he should write an article about Abazon.
(b) To warn that his life may be in danger.
(c) To apologize for causing him trouble in traffic.
(d) They threaten him with death if he continues his crusade.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of Amaechina, the name of Elewa and Ikem's baby girl?
2. The visitors call Ikem "oga." What do you guess is the meaning of that word?
3. What happens to Ikem Osodi?
4. What is Ikem's mood at the beginning of Chapter 11?
5. What are the rich and powerful like, according to Ikem?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)