|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lou Cranford say the President should do?
(a) Increase aid to the people of Abazon.
(b) Maintain high levels of debt to the United States.
(c) Limit aid to the people of Abazon.
(d) Decrease the debt owed to the United States.
2. What does Chris say about Ikem's crusading editorials?
(a) He thinks they are brilliant, but dares not say so to the President.
(b) They don't accomplish anything but antagonizing everyone.
(c) They will get Ikem killed.
(d) He thinks they are rubbish and that Osodi is completely out of his mind.
3. Who, according to law, has control over what is printed in the national newspaper?
(a) The President.
(b) Chris Oriko.
(c) The Security Research Council.
(d) Ikem Osodi.
4. What is the position held by Christopher Oriko?
(a) Commissioner for Information.
(b) Editor of the National Gazette.
(c) Commissioner for Education.
(d) Director of the State Research Council (SRC).
5. Where is Sam educated?
(b) West Point.
6. What god does Beatrice worship?
(c) A pagan goddess.
(d) The unknown god.
7. What is the name of the school attended by the President and Chris Oriko?
(a) Queen Mary College.
(b) Lord Lugard College.
(c) The Boys' Finishing School in Bassa.
(d) The Royal Academy of Kangan.
8. Who disapproves of Beatrice's being physically intimate with Chris while the two are not married?
(a) Beatrice's maid, Agatha.
(b) Beatrice's sister.
(d) Beatrice's mother.
9. What is the meaning of the word nneka?
(a) Mother of God.
(b) Mother is supreme.
(c) Mother is weak.
(d) Mother is love.
10. What does Ikem religiously avoid?
(a) Getting married.
(b) Becoming too involved in neighborhood gossip.
(c) Allowing his girlfriends to sleep overnight.
(d) Going out at night in a taxi.
11. Which is true about the Abazon elder?
(a) He is highly educated.
(b) He speaks very little.
(c) He is illiterate.
(d) He has a soft voice, but a powerful message.
12. Who must appeal to Idemili?
(a) Farmers who wish to have a good crop.
(b) Women who wish to marry.
(c) Women who wish to bear children.
(d) A man who wishes to take on an important title.
13. What is the meaning of the phrase uwa-t'uwa, which Beatrice used to repeat to herself as a child?
(a) World without end.
(b) World within a world.
(c) Woman born of woman.
(d) A woman is a woman.
14. In Chapter 4, the reader first learns the name of the fictional African country in which this novel is set. What is it?
15. What is the meaning of Beatrice's given name, Nwanyibuife?
(a) African beauty.
(b) A female is also something.
(c) A female is nothing.
(d) African warrior.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Chris's girlfriend?
2. What does Mad Medico once do for the President while they are both in England?
3. What does Ikem think of the President, Sam?
4. What have the Abazonians heard about Ikem?
5. Which best describes Sam as a young student?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)