|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Beatrice's job?
(a) She works in a shop.
(b) She is a newspaper reporter.
(c) She is a literature professor.
(d) She works for the Ministry of Finance.
2. According to legend, what happens in times past when the people of Abazon suffer?
(a) They were helped by the great kings of the past.
(b) Other territories came to their aid.
(c) They prayed to the gods and were helped.
(d) They moved to a new territory and conquered it.
3. What have the Abazonians heard about Ikem?
(a) He has fought for the poor people of the nation.
(b) He is the puppet of the President.
(c) He has no power to help them now, as he is in disfavor with the President.
(d) He has written critical articles about the Abazon people.
4. Who is drinking with Mad Medico at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(b) Chris Oriko.
(c) Ikem and Chris Oriko.
(d) No one.
5. Who must appeal to Idemili?
(a) Farmers who wish to have a good crop.
(b) A man who wishes to take on an important title.
(c) Women who wish to bear children.
(d) Women who wish to marry.
6. How do Chris Oriko and the President first meet?
(a) They were schoolmates at the age of 13 or 14.
(b) They met at university in England.
(c) They were in the military together.
(d) They grew up in the same small village.
7. What is the meaning of NTBB?
(a) No Treatment Before Billing.
(b) Not To Be Broadcast.
(c) National Trust Bank of Bassa.
(d) National Telecommunications Bureau of Bassa.
8. What does Mad Medico once do for the President while they are both in England?
(a) Lent him some money.
(b) Found him a girlfriend.
(c) Introduced him to some powerful people.
(d) Nursed him through a long illness.
9. Why is Beatrice angry with Chris in Chapter 8?
(a) She thinks he meant for her to sleep with the President.
(b) She is angry that he did not attend the party with her.
(c) She thinks he meant for her to spy on the President.
(d) She thinks he cheated with another woman.
10. What does Lou Cranford say the President should do?
(a) Limit aid to the people of Abazon.
(b) Decrease the debt owed to the United States.
(c) Maintain high levels of debt to the United States.
(d) Increase aid to the people of Abazon.
11. Who is Lou Cranford?
(a) A student of political science.
(b) An American diplomat.
(c) A girlfriend of the President.
(d) A reporter with the American United Press.
12. On what pretext does a police constable detain Ikem as he leaves the meeting at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) The officer says he is driving an unregistered vehicle.
(b) The officer says he failed to use his parking light.
(c) He is forbidden to speak to the delegation or to write about it.
(d) The officer accuses him of colluding with the Abazonians in a plot against the President.
13. Why is Ikem Osodi's girlfriend, Elewa, angry with him in Chapter 4?
(a) Ikem is sending her home.
(b) Ikem refused to call the police when the neighbor beat his wife.
(c) Ikem will not eat the food Elewa cooked.
(d) She thinks Ikem's controversial editorials are putting them both at risk.
14. What do the people of Abazon do to anger the President?
(a) They voted against his becoming President for life.
(b) They wanted to become an independent state.
(c) They tried to overthrow him.
(d) They took over a neighboring territory, brutally murdering the inhabitants.
15. What is the name of Chris's girlfriend?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Attorney-General claim the people of the nation want from the President?
2. What does the elder from Abazon call the President?
3. Which best describes the Commissioners' attitude toward the President as shown throughout Chapter 1?
4. Where will the dinner Beatrice attends in Chapter 6 be held?
5. What does the President do to punish the people from Abazon?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)