|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The fight between the President and the people of Abazon is likened to the struggle between which two animals?
(a) The elephant and the flea.
(b) The leopard and the tortoise.
(c) The fox and the rabbit.
(d) The lion and the mouse.
2. What is the meaning of Beatrice's given name, Nwanyibuife?
(a) African warrior.
(b) African beauty.
(c) A female is also something.
(d) A female is nothing.
3. Who disapproves of Beatrice's being physically intimate with Chris while the two are not married?
(a) Beatrice's sister.
(b) Beatrice's mother.
(d) Beatrice's maid, Agatha.
4. What does Mad Medico once do for the President while they are both in England?
(a) Introduced him to some powerful people.
(b) Lent him some money.
(c) Nursed him through a long illness.
(d) Found him a girlfriend.
5. Which is true about the Abazon elder?
(a) He is highly educated.
(b) He speaks very little.
(c) He has a soft voice, but a powerful message.
(d) He is illiterate.
6. Which best describes Elewa's personality?
(a) She rarely ever gets angry, so it is shocking when she does.
(b) She is constantly angry or in a bad mood.
(c) She is slow to get angry but then holds a grudge for a long time.
(d) She angers easily but cools off just as quickly.
7. Who does the Attorney-General say may not be one hundred percent behind the President?
(a) Chris Oriko.
(b) Major Johnson Ossai.
(c) Professor Okong.
(d) Ikem Osodi.
8. What does Chris say the President is becoming?
(a) A baby monster.
(b) A ruthless dictator.
(c) Increasingly reckless.
(d) A ridiculous buffoon.
9. Which best describes the religion practiced by Agatha?
(a) Ancestor worship.
(b) Animism, or spirit worship.
(c) She is a devout Muslim.
(d) She is an evangelical Christian.
10. What do the people of Abazon do to anger the President?
(a) They voted against his becoming President for life.
(b) They wanted to become an independent state.
(c) They tried to overthrow him.
(d) They took over a neighboring territory, brutally murdering the inhabitants.
11. Where does Ikem meet with the delegation from Abazon in Chapter 9?
(a) At his offices in the National Gazette.
(b) At his private home.
(c) At the Presidential Palace.
(d) At the hotel where they are staying.
12. What is Lou Cranford's attitude toward the President and his staff?
(a) Admiring to the point of being worshipful.
(b) Shy and a little fearful.
(c) Familiar and domineering.
(d) Polite and formal.
13. Which best describes Ikem's apparent attitude toward women, as explained by Chris in Chapter 5?
(a) They should be held on a pedestal and treated like princesses.
(b) They are the equals of men, according to his Marxist philosophy.
(c) They are there only to comfort him, but are not good intellectual partners.
(d) They are beneath men and should be treated as such.
14. What does the President claim to be?
(a) A simple soldier.
(b) A law expert.
(c) A career politician.
(d) A common civilian.
15. When Beatrice awakens the morning after her argument with the President, what does she hear a bird singing?
(a) Who mocks the king?
(b) Wake the lady, wake the lady!
(c) Beatrice, Beatrice!
(d) Is the king's property correct?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which major character is from Abazon?
2. Who, according to law, has control over what is printed in the national newspaper?
3. What is the job of Mad Medico's English friend, Dick?
4. What does the elder from Abazon call the President?
5. What is Chris's job when Beatrice first meets him?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)