|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ikem meet with the delegation from Abazon in Chapter 9?
(a) At his private home.
(b) At his offices in the National Gazette.
(c) At the Presidential Palace.
(d) At the hotel where they are staying.
2. What is the SRC?
(a) The secret police.
(b) The national military.
(c) A team of reporters from abroad.
(d) The committee in charge of propaganda.
3. Who is the President warned may be plotting against him?
(a) The Attorney-General.
(b) Chris Oriko and Ikem Osodi.
(c) Major Johnson Ossai.
(d) Professor Okong.
4. What is Sam's great talent?
(a) He is basically an actor with a great sense of theater.
(b) He is extremely clever at manipulating people.
(c) He is an accomplished classical pianist.
(d) He is a talented military strategist.
5. What does Chris say about Ikem's crusading editorials?
(a) They don't accomplish anything but antagonizing everyone.
(b) He thinks they are rubbish and that Osodi is completely out of his mind.
(c) He thinks they are brilliant, but dares not say so to the President.
(d) They will get Ikem killed.
6. Which best describes the Commissioners' attitude toward the President as shown throughout Chapter 1?
7. Which is true about the Abazon elder?
(a) He is illiterate.
(b) He speaks very little.
(c) He has a soft voice, but a powerful message.
(d) He is highly educated.
8. In the hymn written by Ikem, what is happening to the world?
(a) It is breaking out in a terrible war.
(b) It is drowning in a new flood.
(c) It is suffering from a terrible plague.
(d) It is burning up.
9. Who disapproves of Beatrice's being physically intimate with Chris while the two are not married?
(a) Beatrice's sister.
(b) Beatrice's maid, Agatha.
(d) Beatrice's mother.
10. Which best describes Ikem's apparent attitude toward women, as explained by Chris in Chapter 5?
(a) They should be held on a pedestal and treated like princesses.
(b) They are the equals of men, according to his Marxist philosophy.
(c) They are beneath men and should be treated as such.
(d) They are there only to comfort him, but are not good intellectual partners.
11. What is the meaning of the word nneka?
(a) Mother is supreme.
(b) Mother of God.
(c) Mother is love.
(d) Mother is weak.
12. What is the name of the school attended by the President and Chris Oriko?
(a) Lord Lugard College.
(b) The Royal Academy of Kangan.
(c) The Boys' Finishing School in Bassa.
(d) Queen Mary College.
13. To which character from literature does Beatrice compare the American woman, Lou Cranford?
14. What does Ikem religiously avoid?
(a) Going out at night in a taxi.
(b) Getting married.
(c) Becoming too involved in neighborhood gossip.
(d) Allowing his girlfriends to sleep overnight.
15. What is Lou Cranford's attitude toward the President and his staff?
(a) Shy and a little fearful.
(b) Polite and formal.
(c) Admiring to the point of being worshipful.
(d) Familiar and domineering.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ikem Osodi speak out against in his first crusading editorial?
2. What weapon does the SRC director, Johnson Ossai, use to torture his victims during interrogations?
3. Which best describes Elewa's personality?
4. What is Mad Medico's job?
5. What is the real name of Mad Medico?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)