|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, the reader first learns the name of the fictional African country in which this novel is set. What is it?
2. What do the anthills tell the grass of the savannah?
(a) They tell about the importance of hard work.
(b) They warn about a hard drought ahead.
(c) They tell about last year's brush fires.
(d) They warn about a sandstorm on the way.
3. What is one of Beatrice's nicknames?
(c) Mama B.
4. Who disapproves of Beatrice's being physically intimate with Chris while the two are not married?
(a) Beatrice's sister.
(b) Beatrice's mother.
(c) Beatrice's maid, Agatha.
5. Which is most important in a great fight, according to the Abazon elder: the sounding of the battle drum, the fierce waging of the war itself, or the telling of the story afterwards?
(a) The story.
(b) The battle drum.
(c) The fierce waging of the war itself.
(d) All are equally important.
6. Which of the following are mentioned in Ikem's hymn as dying off and leaving no void?
7. Which of the following is NOT true about the Director of the SRC, Johnson Ossai?
(a) He speaks obsequiously to the President.
(b) He looks strong in a very disagreeable way.
(c) He is friendly and talkative.
(d) He is young and good-looking.
8. What is the meaning of the word nneka?
(a) Mother of God.
(b) Mother is weak.
(c) Mother is love.
(d) Mother is supreme.
9. What happens when Ikem goes to complain about the police constable's conduct?
(a) The officer who detained him denies ever seeing him before.
(b) The officer who detained him is reprimanded severely.
(c) He is threatened.
(d) He is jailed.
10. To which character from literature does Beatrice compare the American woman, Lou Cranford?
11. Who is Idemili?
(a) Daughter of the Moon.
(b) The Goddess of Love.
(c) The Goddess of War.
(d) Daughter of the Sun.
12. What is the meaning of Beatrice's given name, Nwanyibuife?
(a) A female is also something.
(b) African beauty.
(c) African warrior.
(d) A female is nothing.
13. What does Ikem religiously avoid?
(a) Going out at night in a taxi.
(b) Getting married.
(c) Becoming too involved in neighborhood gossip.
(d) Allowing his girlfriends to sleep overnight.
14. What does Ikem think of the President, Sam?
(a) He is a fool.
(b) He is a brilliant man.
(c) He is a brutal and vicious dictator who must be overthrown.
(d) He is basically a good person who wants to do what is right.
15. What is Mad Medico's job?
(a) Malpractice lawyer.
(b) The President's personal physician.
(c) Hospital administrator.
(d) Surgeon general.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Beatrice angry with Chris in Chapter 8?
2. Which best describes Elewa's personality?
3. Who is Lou Cranford?
4. Which province is asking for the President's help?
5. In Chapter 3, who does Ikem say must be overthrown?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)