|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the President send to officially welcome the Abazon delegation?
(a) Chris Oriko.
(b) Professor Okong.
(c) Ikem Osodi.
(d) Major Johnson Ossai.
2. Why is Ikem Osodi's girlfriend, Elewa, angry with him in Chapter 4?
(a) Ikem refused to call the police when the neighbor beat his wife.
(b) Ikem will not eat the food Elewa cooked.
(c) She thinks Ikem's controversial editorials are putting them both at risk.
(d) Ikem is sending her home.
3. What does Lou Cranford say the President should do?
(a) Maintain high levels of debt to the United States.
(b) Increase aid to the people of Abazon.
(c) Decrease the debt owed to the United States.
(d) Limit aid to the people of Abazon.
4. What does the President claim to be?
(a) A career politician.
(b) A common civilian.
(c) A law expert.
(d) A simple soldier.
5. Which best describes the religion practiced by Agatha?
(a) She is an evangelical Christian.
(b) Ancestor worship.
(c) She is a devout Muslim.
(d) Animism, or spirit worship.
6. In the hymn written by Ikem, what is happening to the world?
(a) It is breaking out in a terrible war.
(b) It is burning up.
(c) It is suffering from a terrible plague.
(d) It is drowning in a new flood.
7. What does the President do to punish the people from Abazon?
(a) He refused to allow medical personnel and supplies to enter the region.
(b) He discontinued foreign aid to the territory.
(c) He sent a military force in to police the territory.
(d) He filled in the wells that were being dug on Abazon territory.
8. Where does Ikem meet with the delegation from Abazon in Chapter 9?
(a) At the Presidential Palace.
(b) At his private home.
(c) At the hotel where they are staying.
(d) At his offices in the National Gazette.
9. What is the former career of Professor Okong, the Commissioner for Home Affairs?
(a) Baptist minister.
(b) Newspaper editor.
(c) Army officer.
10. Who does the Attorney-General say may not be one hundred percent behind the President?
(a) Ikem Osodi.
(b) Chris Oriko.
(c) Major Johnson Ossai.
(d) Professor Okong.
11. At the end of Chapter 8, what does Chris say he won't do?
(a) Resign his job.
(b) Lie low.
(c) Abandon his friend, the President.
(d) Give up the things he loves.
12. What does Mad Medico once do for the President while they are both in England?
(a) Lent him some money.
(b) Found him a girlfriend.
(c) Introduced him to some powerful people.
(d) Nursed him through a long illness.
13. Which best describes Elewa's personality?
(a) She is slow to get angry but then holds a grudge for a long time.
(b) She is constantly angry or in a bad mood.
(c) She rarely ever gets angry, so it is shocking when she does.
(d) She angers easily but cools off just as quickly.
14. When Beatrice awakens the morning after her argument with the President, what does she hear a bird singing?
(a) Who mocks the king?
(b) Beatrice, Beatrice!
(c) Wake the lady, wake the lady!
(d) Is the king's property correct?
15. What is the meaning of the word nneka?
(a) Mother is weak.
(b) Mother of God.
(c) Mother is love.
(d) Mother is supreme.
Short Answer Questions
1. What natural disaster has occurred in Abazon province?
2. Who, according to law, has control over what is printed in the national newspaper?
3. What, according to Ikem, is the enemy of art?
4. What does Chris say the modern leaders of Africa must be like in order to build up their nations?
5. What is the main message of the hymn written by Ikem?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)