|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the former career of Professor Okong, the Commissioner for Home Affairs?
(a) Baptist minister.
(b) Army officer.
(d) Newspaper editor.
2. Who does the President send to officially welcome the Abazon delegation?
(a) Major Johnson Ossai.
(b) Ikem Osodi.
(c) Chris Oriko.
(d) Professor Okong.
3. Which best describes Chris's opinion of Okong?
(a) Okong, though a buffoon, is politically astute and adept at propaganda.
(b) Okong, though a buffoon, is one of the few honest politicians in the government.
(c) Okong is a brilliant journalist and literary artist, if not a good politician.
(d) Okong, though he may seem harmless, is a dangerous man.
4. Which best describes Beatrice's attitude as she is being driven to the dinner at the beginning of Chapter 6?
5. Who is the President warned may be plotting against him?
(a) Chris Oriko and Ikem Osodi.
(b) Major Johnson Ossai.
(c) Professor Okong.
(d) The Attorney-General.
6. Which best describes Ikem's apparent attitude toward women, as explained by Chris in Chapter 5?
(a) They should be held on a pedestal and treated like princesses.
(b) They are beneath men and should be treated as such.
(c) They are there only to comfort him, but are not good intellectual partners.
(d) They are the equals of men, according to his Marxist philosophy.
7. What is Lou Cranford's attitude toward the President and his staff?
(a) Shy and a little fearful.
(b) Polite and formal.
(c) Admiring to the point of being worshipful.
(d) Familiar and domineering.
8. What is Chris's job when Beatrice first meets him?
(a) Commissioner of Information.
(c) University student.
(d) Editor of the National Gazette.
9. Which is most important in a great fight, according to the Abazon elder: the sounding of the battle drum, the fierce waging of the war itself, or the telling of the story afterwards?
(a) All are equally important.
(b) The story.
(c) The fierce waging of the war itself.
(d) The battle drum.
10. What is the meaning of the word nneka?
(a) Mother is weak.
(b) Mother is love.
(c) Mother is supreme.
(d) Mother of God.
11. Where will the dinner Beatrice attends in Chapter 6 be held?
(a) At the U.S. Embassy.
(b) At the Presidential Palace.
(c) At the White House.
(d) At the Presidential Retreat.
12. What is the position held by Christopher Oriko?
(a) Commissioner for Education.
(b) Commissioner for Information.
(c) Editor of the National Gazette.
(d) Director of the State Research Council (SRC).
13. Why is Beatrice angry with Chris in Chapter 8?
(a) She thinks he meant for her to sleep with the President.
(b) She thinks he cheated with another woman.
(c) She is angry that he did not attend the party with her.
(d) She thinks he meant for her to spy on the President.
14. To whom does the Attorney-General compare the President during their conversation near the end of Chapter 2?
15. What is the name of the school attended by the President and Chris Oriko?
(a) The Boys' Finishing School in Bassa.
(b) Queen Mary College.
(c) Lord Lugard College.
(d) The Royal Academy of Kangan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chris say the modern leaders of Africa must be like in order to build up their nations?
2. What is the main message of the hymn written by Ikem?
3. What does Ikem Osodi speak out against in his first crusading editorial?
4. What have the Abazonians heard about Ikem?
5. What weapon does the SRC director, Johnson Ossai, use to torture his victims during interrogations?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)