|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What god does Beatrice worship?
(b) The unknown god.
(c) A pagan goddess.
2. Where will the dinner Beatrice attends in Chapter 6 be held?
(a) At the Presidential Palace.
(b) At the Presidential Retreat.
(c) At the White House.
(d) At the U.S. Embassy.
3. What is the Eye of God in the hymn?
(a) The Moon.
(b) The Sun.
(d) A hurricane.
4. Which best describes Beatrice's attitude as she is being driven to the dinner at the beginning of Chapter 6?
5. What does Ikem think of the President, Sam?
(a) He is a brutal and vicious dictator who must be overthrown.
(b) He is a fool.
(c) He is basically a good person who wants to do what is right.
(d) He is a brilliant man.
6. Which best describes Ikem's apparent attitude toward women, as explained by Chris in Chapter 5?
(a) They should be held on a pedestal and treated like princesses.
(b) They are there only to comfort him, but are not good intellectual partners.
(c) They are the equals of men, according to his Marxist philosophy.
(d) They are beneath men and should be treated as such.
7. Which best describes Sam as a young student?
8. To whom does the Attorney-General compare the President during their conversation near the end of Chapter 2?
9. What does Chris say the President is becoming?
(a) A ruthless dictator.
(b) A baby monster.
(c) A ridiculous buffoon.
(d) Increasingly reckless.
10. What does the powerful man have, according to the expression used by the Abazon elder?
(a) The palm oil and wine.
(b) The ear of God.
(c) The lightning bolt.
(d) The yam and the knife.
11. In Chapter 3, who does Ikem say must be overthrown?
(a) The Brigadier of Misfortune.
(b) The Messenger of the Creator.
(c) The wild Sun of April.
(d) The King of Misinformation.
12. At the beginning of Chapter 6, who invites Beatrice to a private dinner?
13. What is the name of the school attended by the President and Chris Oriko?
(a) Lord Lugard College.
(b) The Boys' Finishing School in Bassa.
(c) The Royal Academy of Kangan.
(d) Queen Mary College.
14. In Chapter 4, the reader first learns the name of the fictional African country in which this novel is set. What is it?
15. Who is Ikem Osodi?
(b) Commissioner for Education.
(c) Editor of the National Gazette.
(d) Commissioner for Information.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first shrine to Idemili?
2. What does Ikem religiously avoid?
3. What is Mad Medico's job?
4. What, according to Ikem, is the enemy of art?
5. What is Beatrice's job?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)