|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of Beatrice's nicknames?
(a) Mama B.
2. Where is Sam educated?
(b) West Point.
3. When Beatrice awakens the morning after her argument with the President, what does she hear a bird singing?
(a) Wake the lady, wake the lady!
(b) Beatrice, Beatrice!
(c) Is the king's property correct?
(d) Who mocks the king?
4. What is the meaning of Beatrice's given name, Nwanyibuife?
(a) African beauty.
(b) African warrior.
(c) A female is also something.
(d) A female is nothing.
5. What is the meaning of the word nneka?
(a) Mother is supreme.
(b) Mother is weak.
(c) Mother of God.
(d) Mother is love.
6. What does Chris do that angers Ikem in Chapter 3?
(a) Hangs up the phone on him.
(b) Forbids him to write a story about the delegation.
(c) Tells a lie about him to the President.
(d) Shouts at him in front of the Council.
7. What is the former career of Professor Okong, the Commissioner for Home Affairs?
(a) Baptist minister.
(b) Newspaper editor.
(c) Army officer.
8. Which of the following is NOT true about the Director of the SRC, Johnson Ossai?
(a) He speaks obsequiously to the President.
(b) He is young and good-looking.
(c) He looks strong in a very disagreeable way.
(d) He is friendly and talkative.
9. What does Chris say about Ikem's crusading editorials?
(a) They don't accomplish anything but antagonizing everyone.
(b) He thinks they are brilliant, but dares not say so to the President.
(c) They will get Ikem killed.
(d) He thinks they are rubbish and that Osodi is completely out of his mind.
10. To what does Ikem compose a hymn?
(a) To the Sun.
(b) To the Moon.
(c) To his country, Kangan.
(d) To God.
11. On what pretext does a police constable detain Ikem as he leaves the meeting at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) The officer accuses him of colluding with the Abazonians in a plot against the President.
(b) He is forbidden to speak to the delegation or to write about it.
(c) The officer says he is driving an unregistered vehicle.
(d) The officer says he failed to use his parking light.
12. Whom does Beatrice sometimes feel like while in bed with Chris?
(a) Queen Elizabeth with her paramour.
(b) Beatrice from Dante's Divine Comedy.
(c) Chielo, the holy priestess and prophetess.
(d) The goddess Idemili.
13. In Chapter 4, the reader first learns the name of the fictional African country in which this novel is set. What is it?
14. What does the President do to punish the people from Abazon?
(a) He sent a military force in to police the territory.
(b) He refused to allow medical personnel and supplies to enter the region.
(c) He discontinued foreign aid to the territory.
(d) He filled in the wells that were being dug on Abazon territory.
15. What weapon does the SRC director, Johnson Ossai, use to torture his victims during interrogations?
(a) A stapler.
(b) A razor.
(c) A toilet plunger.
(d) A pair of scissors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the elder from Abazon call the President?
2. What happens when Ikem goes to complain about the police constable's conduct?
3. What does Mad Medico once do for the President while they are both in England?
4. Who, according to law, has control over what is printed in the national newspaper?
5. Who is Lou Cranford?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)