|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the anthills tell the grass of the savannah?
(a) They tell about last year's brush fires.
(b) They warn about a sandstorm on the way.
(c) They warn about a hard drought ahead.
(d) They tell about the importance of hard work.
2. According to Chris, which of the following describes Ikem?
3. What is apparently the main reason the President refuses to visit Abazon?
(a) He fears being assassinated in Abazon.
(b) The people of Abazon are mere peasants, not worthy of a visit.
(c) He believes the President should not give in to the will of the people.
(d) The people of Abazon voted against his becoming President for life.
4. What happens when Ikem goes to complain about the police constable's conduct?
(a) He is jailed.
(b) He is threatened.
(c) The officer who detained him is reprimanded severely.
(d) The officer who detained him denies ever seeing him before.
5. In their conversation near the end of Chapter 8, what does Beatrice urge Chris to do?
(a) Work to patch things up with Ikem and help protect him.
(b) Run away with her to Europe.
(c) Distance himself from Ikem, who is in the President's disfavor.
(d) Apologize to the President on her behalf.
6. What advice does old President Ngongo once give to the President?
(a) Rely on military training and discipline to survive.
(b) Beware your boyhood friends.
(c) Beware the men who flatter you most.
(d) Trust only your boyhood friends.
7. What is one of Beatrice's nicknames?
(d) Mama B.
8. What is the crime of Dr. Ofe, the target of another of Ikem's editorial crusades?
(a) He refused medical treatment to a man who could not pay, and the man died.
(b) He injected a patient with an overdose of morphine, and the man died.
(c) He wrote insane graffiti terrorizing people in a hospital.
(d) He gave the family of a dead patient money to sue the hospital where he worked.
9. In the hymn written by Ikem, what is happening to the world?
(a) It is burning up.
(b) It is drowning in a new flood.
(c) It is breaking out in a terrible war.
(d) It is suffering from a terrible plague.
10. Which best describes Elewa's personality?
(a) She is constantly angry or in a bad mood.
(b) She angers easily but cools off just as quickly.
(c) She is slow to get angry but then holds a grudge for a long time.
(d) She rarely ever gets angry, so it is shocking when she does.
11. What is the meaning of the word nneka?
(a) Mother is weak.
(b) Mother is love.
(c) Mother of God.
(d) Mother is supreme.
12. Who disapproves of Beatrice's being physically intimate with Chris while the two are not married?
(a) Beatrice's sister.
(b) Beatrice's mother.
(d) Beatrice's maid, Agatha.
13. What is the main message of the hymn written by Ikem?
(a) The people of Abazon must rise up and overthrow the President.
(b) God must help the people of Abazon.
(c) The President must help the people of Abazon.
(d) God is punishing the people of Abazon.
14. Which best describes the religion practiced by Agatha?
(a) Animism, or spirit worship.
(b) Ancestor worship.
(c) She is a devout Muslim.
(d) She is an evangelical Christian.
15. Which best describes Sam as a young student?
Short Answer Questions
1. To which character from literature does Beatrice compare the American woman, Lou Cranford?
2. Who is Mad Medico?
3. Who does the Attorney-General say may not be one hundred percent behind the President?
4. What is the name of Chris's girlfriend?
5. Who is Ikem Osodi?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)