|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mad Medico once do for the President while they are both in England?
(a) Lent him some money.
(b) Introduced him to some powerful people.
(c) Found him a girlfriend.
(d) Nursed him through a long illness.
2. On what pretext does a police constable detain Ikem as he leaves the meeting at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) The officer says he is driving an unregistered vehicle.
(b) He is forbidden to speak to the delegation or to write about it.
(c) The officer says he failed to use his parking light.
(d) The officer accuses him of colluding with the Abazonians in a plot against the President.
3. What is Lou Cranford's attitude toward the President and his staff?
(a) Shy and a little fearful.
(b) Familiar and domineering.
(c) Polite and formal.
(d) Admiring to the point of being worshipful.
4. In the hymn written by Ikem, what is happening to the world?
(a) It is drowning in a new flood.
(b) It is burning up.
(c) It is breaking out in a terrible war.
(d) It is suffering from a terrible plague.
5. What weapon does the SRC director, Johnson Ossai, use to torture his victims during interrogations?
(a) A pair of scissors.
(b) A stapler.
(c) A toilet plunger.
(d) A razor.
6. Which best describes the Commissioners' attitude toward the President as shown throughout Chapter 1?
7. What is the crime of Dr. Ofe, the target of another of Ikem's editorial crusades?
(a) He gave the family of a dead patient money to sue the hospital where he worked.
(b) He wrote insane graffiti terrorizing people in a hospital.
(c) He refused medical treatment to a man who could not pay, and the man died.
(d) He injected a patient with an overdose of morphine, and the man died.
8. Who must appeal to Idemili?
(a) A man who wishes to take on an important title.
(b) Farmers who wish to have a good crop.
(c) Women who wish to bear children.
(d) Women who wish to marry.
9. What is the SRC?
(a) A team of reporters from abroad.
(b) The secret police.
(c) The committee in charge of propaganda.
(d) The national military.
10. What is the position held by Christopher Oriko?
(a) Commissioner for Information.
(b) Editor of the National Gazette.
(c) Director of the State Research Council (SRC).
(d) Commissioner for Education.
11. What is happening outside as the President holds a meeting with his cabinet?
(a) There is a violent hurricane.
(b) There is a terrible dust storm.
(c) Gunfire breaks out on the streets.
(d) There is a large demonstration.
12. How do the members of the Abazonian delegation receive Ikem?
(a) With jeers of derision.
(b) With a tremendous ovation.
(c) With murmurs of skepticism.
(d) With shouts of anger.
13. What does Chris do that angers Ikem in Chapter 3?
(a) Forbids him to write a story about the delegation.
(b) Tells a lie about him to the President.
(c) Shouts at him in front of the Council.
(d) Hangs up the phone on him.
14. Who is Lou Cranford?
(a) A girlfriend of the President.
(b) An American diplomat.
(c) A student of political science.
(d) A reporter with the American United Press.
15. What happens to Ikem on his way to the Palace in Chapter 3?
(a) He narrowly avoids a terrible accident.
(b) He is arrested by the state police.
(c) A taxi sideswipes him, drawing an ugly gash on his car.
(d) He has a standoff with a taxi driver who tries to cut in front of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Attorney-General claim the people of the nation want from the President?
2. Which of the following are mentioned in Ikem's hymn as dying off and leaving no void?
3. How does Beatrice feel about Ikem?
4. What does the President claim to be?
5. What is a crime problem in the city now, much feared by Elewa?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)