|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is happening outside as the President holds a meeting with his cabinet?
(a) Gunfire breaks out on the streets.
(b) There is a terrible dust storm.
(c) There is a large demonstration.
(d) There is a violent hurricane.
2. Which is most important in a great fight, according to the Abazon elder: the sounding of the battle drum, the fierce waging of the war itself, or the telling of the story afterwards?
(a) The fierce waging of the war itself.
(b) All are equally important.
(c) The battle drum.
(d) The story.
3. According to the African legend recounted by Ikem, what is once true about the Sky?
(a) It was made of food.
(b) It was white instead of blue.
(c) It was a woman.
(d) It was close to the Earth.
4. Who disapproves of Beatrice's being physically intimate with Chris while the two are not married?
(a) Beatrice's maid, Agatha.
(b) Beatrice's sister.
(c) Beatrice's mother.
5. What does the President wish to be called?
(a) By his Christian name, Sam.
(c) Kabisa, or "King."
(d) Your Excellency.
6. What, according to Ikem, is the enemy of art?
7. What is the SRC?
(a) The committee in charge of propaganda.
(b) A team of reporters from abroad.
(c) The national military.
(d) The secret police.
8. What does the elder from Abazon call the President?
(b) The Great Ruler.
(c) The Big Chief.
9. What is Chris's job when Beatrice first meets him?
(a) University student.
(b) Commissioner of Information.
(c) Editor of the National Gazette.
10. What is apparently the main reason the President refuses to visit Abazon?
(a) The people of Abazon voted against his becoming President for life.
(b) He believes the President should not give in to the will of the people.
(c) He fears being assassinated in Abazon.
(d) The people of Abazon are mere peasants, not worthy of a visit.
11. What have the Abazonians heard about Ikem?
(a) He has fought for the poor people of the nation.
(b) He has no power to help them now, as he is in disfavor with the President.
(c) He has written critical articles about the Abazon people.
(d) He is the puppet of the President.
12. What is the meaning of the word nneka?
(a) Mother is weak.
(b) Mother is supreme.
(c) Mother is love.
(d) Mother of God.
13. Who must appeal to Idemili?
(a) Women who wish to marry.
(b) A man who wishes to take on an important title.
(c) Women who wish to bear children.
(d) Farmers who wish to have a good crop.
14. What does the delegation from Abazon say they want?
(a) To protest the local government's lack of action.
(b) To declare loyalty to the president and ask for help.
(c) To demand that the president hold elections.
(d) To demand that the president step down.
15. At the end of Chapter 8, what does Chris say he won't do?
(a) Give up the things he loves.
(b) Lie low.
(c) Resign his job.
(d) Abandon his friend, the President.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Attorney-General say may not be one hundred percent behind the President?
2. In Chapter 3, who does Ikem say must be overthrown?
3. Who does the President send to officially welcome the Abazon delegation?
4. What does the President say is true of all African chiefs?
5. Where will the dinner Beatrice attends in Chapter 6 be held?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)