|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the meaning of Beatrice's given name, Nwanyibuife?
(a) A female is also something.
(b) African warrior.
(c) African beauty.
(d) A female is nothing.
2. What do the anthills tell the grass of the savannah?
(a) They warn about a sandstorm on the way.
(b) They tell about last year's brush fires.
(c) They tell about the importance of hard work.
(d) They warn about a hard drought ahead.
3. What is the name of Chris's girlfriend?
4. Which best describes Elewa's personality?
(a) She rarely ever gets angry, so it is shocking when she does.
(b) She angers easily but cools off just as quickly.
(c) She is constantly angry or in a bad mood.
(d) She is slow to get angry but then holds a grudge for a long time.
5. Where is Beatrice educated?
(a) She is uneducated, but has good common sense.
(b) Yale University School of Economics.
(c) Queen's College at the University of London.
(d) The University of Bassa in Kangan.
6. What is the meaning of the phrase uwa-t'uwa, which Beatrice used to repeat to herself as a child?
(a) Woman born of woman.
(b) World within a world.
(c) World without end.
(d) A woman is a woman.
7. What does Beatrice criticize about Ikem's philosophy?
(a) He considers black people superior to white Europeans.
(b) He is classist against poor people and peasants.
(c) He fails to include women in his political vision.
(d) He considers black people inferior to white Europeans.
8. What is the first shrine to Idemili?
(a) A temple on a hill.
(b) A holy river.
(c) A holy lake.
(d) A cave grotto.
9. What is the former career of Professor Okong, the Commissioner for Home Affairs?
(a) Newspaper editor.
(b) Baptist minister.
(c) Army officer.
10. What is Beatrice's job?
(a) She is a literature professor.
(b) She works in a shop.
(c) She is a newspaper reporter.
(d) She works for the Ministry of Finance.
11. What does Ikem think of the President, Sam?
(a) He is a fool.
(b) He is basically a good person who wants to do what is right.
(c) He is a brilliant man.
(d) He is a brutal and vicious dictator who must be overthrown.
12. Which major character is from Abazon?
(a) The President himself.
(b) Chris Oriko.
(c) Professor Okong.
(d) Ikem Osodi.
13. What is Chris's job when Beatrice first meets him?
(a) University student.
(b) Editor of the National Gazette.
(d) Commissioner of Information.
14. How do Chris Oriko and the President first meet?
(a) They met at university in England.
(b) They were in the military together.
(c) They were schoolmates at the age of 13 or 14.
(d) They grew up in the same small village.
15. Who, according to law, has control over what is printed in the national newspaper?
(a) Chris Oriko.
(b) The Security Research Council.
(c) Ikem Osodi.
(d) The President.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to legend, what happens in times past when the people of Abazon suffer?
2. Who does the President send to officially welcome the Abazon delegation?
3. What is apparently the main reason the President refuses to visit Abazon?
4. On what pretext does a police constable detain Ikem as he leaves the meeting at the end of Chapter 9?
5. What does Ikem Osodi speak out against in his first crusading editorial?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)