|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the President wish to be called?
(a) Your Excellency.
(b) By his Christian name, Sam.
(d) Kabisa, or "King."
2. Why is Beatrice angry with Chris in Chapter 8?
(a) She thinks he cheated with another woman.
(b) She thinks he meant for her to spy on the President.
(c) She thinks he meant for her to sleep with the President.
(d) She is angry that he did not attend the party with her.
3. In their conversation near the end of Chapter 8, what does Beatrice urge Chris to do?
(a) Run away with her to Europe.
(b) Apologize to the President on her behalf.
(c) Work to patch things up with Ikem and help protect him.
(d) Distance himself from Ikem, who is in the President's disfavor.
4. At the end of Chapter 8, what does Chris say he won't do?
(a) Give up the things he loves.
(b) Lie low.
(c) Resign his job.
(d) Abandon his friend, the President.
5. What does the President do to punish the people from Abazon?
(a) He refused to allow medical personnel and supplies to enter the region.
(b) He sent a military force in to police the territory.
(c) He filled in the wells that were being dug on Abazon territory.
(d) He discontinued foreign aid to the territory.
6. What is Chris's job when Beatrice first meets him?
(a) Editor of the National Gazette.
(c) University student.
(d) Commissioner of Information.
7. Why is Ikem Osodi's girlfriend, Elewa, angry with him in Chapter 4?
(a) Ikem is sending her home.
(b) Ikem refused to call the police when the neighbor beat his wife.
(c) Ikem will not eat the food Elewa cooked.
(d) She thinks Ikem's controversial editorials are putting them both at risk.
8. What does Chris say about Ikem's crusading editorials?
(a) They don't accomplish anything but antagonizing everyone.
(b) He thinks they are brilliant, but dares not say so to the President.
(c) He thinks they are rubbish and that Osodi is completely out of his mind.
(d) They will get Ikem killed.
9. Who does the Attorney-General say may not be one hundred percent behind the President?
(a) Major Johnson Ossai.
(b) Chris Oriko.
(c) Ikem Osodi.
(d) Professor Okong.
10. What advice does old President Ngongo once give to the President?
(a) Trust only your boyhood friends.
(b) Beware your boyhood friends.
(c) Beware the men who flatter you most.
(d) Rely on military training and discipline to survive.
11. Who is Mad Medico?
(a) The President's personal physician, who made an attempt on the President's life.
(b) The nickname of Dr. Ofe, a doctor guilty of serious malpractice.
(c) A clinically insane mental patient who staged a protest against a hospital.
(d) A foreigner who began a crusade against malpractice in the nation's hospitals.
12. Which best describes the religion practiced by Agatha?
(a) Ancestor worship.
(b) She is an evangelical Christian.
(c) She is a devout Muslim.
(d) Animism, or spirit worship.
13. Which of the following are mentioned in Ikem's hymn as dying off and leaving no void?
14. Who disapproves of Beatrice's being physically intimate with Chris while the two are not married?
(a) Beatrice's mother.
(c) Beatrice's maid, Agatha.
(d) Beatrice's sister.
15. What is the SRC?
(a) The secret police.
(b) The national military.
(c) A team of reporters from abroad.
(d) The committee in charge of propaganda.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Beatrice awakens the morning after her argument with the President, what does she hear a bird singing?
2. What does the President claim to be?
3. To which character from literature does Beatrice compare the American woman, Lou Cranford?
4. What is the meaning of Beatrice's given name, Nwanyibuife?
5. What is the name of the school attended by the President and Chris Oriko?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)