|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, the reader first learns the name of the fictional African country in which this novel is set. What is it?
2. What does Chris do that angers Ikem in Chapter 3?
(a) Shouts at him in front of the Council.
(b) Hangs up the phone on him.
(c) Forbids him to write a story about the delegation.
(d) Tells a lie about him to the President.
3. What advice does old President Ngongo once give to the President?
(a) Beware the men who flatter you most.
(b) Rely on military training and discipline to survive.
(c) Beware your boyhood friends.
(d) Trust only your boyhood friends.
4. Which of the following is NOT true about the Director of the SRC, Johnson Ossai?
(a) He speaks obsequiously to the President.
(b) He looks strong in a very disagreeable way.
(c) He is young and good-looking.
(d) He is friendly and talkative.
5. According to Chris, which of the following describes Ikem?
6. In the hymn composed by Ikem, who is found dead in the marketplace?
(a) All the villagers.
(b) A madman.
(c) A prostitute.
(d) A fortune teller.
7. Why is Ikem Osodi's girlfriend, Elewa, angry with him in Chapter 4?
(a) Ikem refused to call the police when the neighbor beat his wife.
(b) Ikem is sending her home.
(c) She thinks Ikem's controversial editorials are putting them both at risk.
(d) Ikem will not eat the food Elewa cooked.
8. Why is Beatrice angry with Chris in Chapter 8?
(a) She thinks he meant for her to spy on the President.
(b) She is angry that he did not attend the party with her.
(c) She thinks he meant for her to sleep with the President.
(d) She thinks he cheated with another woman.
9. Who is Ikem Osodi?
(b) Editor of the National Gazette.
(c) Commissioner for Education.
(d) Commissioner for Information.
10. What does Chris's girlfriend study at the university?
(a) Chinese and Japanese.
(d) Political philosophy.
11. What natural disaster has occurred in Abazon province?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A hurricane.
(c) A flood.
(d) A drought.
12. What does the President say is true of all African chiefs?
(a) They are greedy.
(b) They are polygamists.
(c) They can never trust anyone.
(d) They are dictators.
13. What is Sam's great talent?
(a) He is an accomplished classical pianist.
(b) He is extremely clever at manipulating people.
(c) He is basically an actor with a great sense of theater.
(d) He is a talented military strategist.
14. To which character from literature does Beatrice compare the American woman, Lou Cranford?
15. What is the former career of Professor Okong, the Commissioner for Home Affairs?
(a) Newspaper editor.
(c) Army officer.
(d) Baptist minister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the real name of Mad Medico?
2. Which best describes Beatrice's attitude as she is being driven to the dinner at the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. What is the meaning of the phrase uwa-t'uwa, which Beatrice used to repeat to herself as a child?
4. Which major character is from Abazon?
5. What does Chris say the President is becoming?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)