|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the position held by Christopher Oriko?
(a) Director of the State Research Council (SRC).
(b) Commissioner for Information.
(c) Commissioner for Education.
(d) Editor of the National Gazette.
2. What is the name of Chris's girlfriend?
3. What happens when Ikem goes to complain about the police constable's conduct?
(a) The officer who detained him denies ever seeing him before.
(b) The officer who detained him is reprimanded severely.
(c) He is jailed.
(d) He is threatened.
4. What is one of Beatrice's nicknames?
(b) Mama B.
5. Which best describes Sam as a young student?
6. Who disapproves of Beatrice's being physically intimate with Chris while the two are not married?
(a) Beatrice's mother.
(b) Beatrice's sister.
(d) Beatrice's maid, Agatha.
7. What happens to Ikem on his way to the Palace in Chapter 3?
(a) He narrowly avoids a terrible accident.
(b) He has a standoff with a taxi driver who tries to cut in front of him.
(c) A taxi sideswipes him, drawing an ugly gash on his car.
(d) He is arrested by the state police.
8. What is a crime problem in the city now, much feared by Elewa?
(b) Spousal abuse.
(c) Political killings.
(d) Armed robberies.
9. What is the main message of the hymn written by Ikem?
(a) God must help the people of Abazon.
(b) God is punishing the people of Abazon.
(c) The people of Abazon must rise up and overthrow the President.
(d) The President must help the people of Abazon.
10. Why is Ikem Osodi's girlfriend, Elewa, angry with him in Chapter 4?
(a) She thinks Ikem's controversial editorials are putting them both at risk.
(b) Ikem will not eat the food Elewa cooked.
(c) Ikem refused to call the police when the neighbor beat his wife.
(d) Ikem is sending her home.
11. Which best describes the religion practiced by Agatha?
(a) She is an evangelical Christian.
(b) Animism, or spirit worship.
(c) She is a devout Muslim.
(d) Ancestor worship.
12. What is Chris's job when Beatrice first meets him?
(a) University student.
(c) Editor of the National Gazette.
(d) Commissioner of Information.
13. Which best describes Elewa's personality?
(a) She is slow to get angry but then holds a grudge for a long time.
(b) She angers easily but cools off just as quickly.
(c) She is constantly angry or in a bad mood.
(d) She rarely ever gets angry, so it is shocking when she does.
14. To what does Ikem compose a hymn?
(a) To his country, Kangan.
(b) To the Sun.
(c) To God.
(d) To the Moon.
15. Which American poet does Ikem quote when he says, "Do I contradict myself? Very well, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes"?
(a) Robert Frost.
(b) Walt Whitman.
(c) Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
(d) Graham Greene.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 6, who invites Beatrice to a private dinner?
2. What, according to Ikem, is the enemy of art?
3. What is Mad Medico's job?
4. Which province is asking for the President's help?
5. According to legend, what happens in times past when the people of Abazon suffer?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)