|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which American poet does Ikem quote when he says, "Do I contradict myself? Very well, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes"?
(a) Graham Greene.
(b) Walt Whitman.
(c) Robert Frost.
(d) Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 6, who invites Beatrice to a private dinner?
3. What is the name of Chris's girlfriend?
4. What weapon does the SRC director, Johnson Ossai, use to torture his victims during interrogations?
(a) A toilet plunger.
(b) A razor.
(c) A stapler.
(d) A pair of scissors.
5. What is Sam's great talent?
(a) He is basically an actor with a great sense of theater.
(b) He is extremely clever at manipulating people.
(c) He is a talented military strategist.
(d) He is an accomplished classical pianist.
6. Which best describes Chris's opinion of Okong?
(a) Okong, though a buffoon, is politically astute and adept at propaganda.
(b) Okong is a brilliant journalist and literary artist, if not a good politician.
(c) Okong, though he may seem harmless, is a dangerous man.
(d) Okong, though a buffoon, is one of the few honest politicians in the government.
7. What does the delegation from Abazon say they want?
(a) To demand that the president step down.
(b) To demand that the president hold elections.
(c) To protest the local government's lack of action.
(d) To declare loyalty to the president and ask for help.
8. Why is Beatrice angry with Chris in Chapter 8?
(a) She is angry that he did not attend the party with her.
(b) She thinks he meant for her to sleep with the President.
(c) She thinks he meant for her to spy on the President.
(d) She thinks he cheated with another woman.
9. What is the meaning of Beatrice's given name, Nwanyibuife?
(a) A female is nothing.
(b) African warrior.
(c) A female is also something.
(d) African beauty.
10. Where is Beatrice educated?
(a) Queen's College at the University of London.
(b) She is uneducated, but has good common sense.
(c) The University of Bassa in Kangan.
(d) Yale University School of Economics.
11. Where will the dinner Beatrice attends in Chapter 6 be held?
(a) At the Presidential Palace.
(b) At the Presidential Retreat.
(c) At the U.S. Embassy.
(d) At the White House.
12. What is the first shrine to Idemili?
(a) A temple on a hill.
(b) A cave grotto.
(c) A holy river.
(d) A holy lake.
13. What does the President claim to be?
(a) A simple soldier.
(b) A law expert.
(c) A career politician.
(d) A common civilian.
14. Which best describes Ikem's apparent attitude toward women, as explained by Chris in Chapter 5?
(a) They are there only to comfort him, but are not good intellectual partners.
(b) They are the equals of men, according to his Marxist philosophy.
(c) They are beneath men and should be treated as such.
(d) They should be held on a pedestal and treated like princesses.
15. According to the African legend recounted by Ikem, what is once true about the Sky?
(a) It was white instead of blue.
(b) It was close to the Earth.
(c) It was a woman.
(d) It was made of food.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which best describes Elewa's personality?
2. What is Mad Medico's job?
3. What does Ikem Osodi speak out against in his first crusading editorial?
4. What does Sam originally want to become, before he is steered into a military career?
5. To what does Ikem compose a hymn?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)