|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chris say the President is becoming?
(a) A baby monster.
(b) A ridiculous buffoon.
(c) A ruthless dictator.
(d) Increasingly reckless.
2. Which best describes Elewa's personality?
(a) She is constantly angry or in a bad mood.
(b) She rarely ever gets angry, so it is shocking when she does.
(c) She is slow to get angry but then holds a grudge for a long time.
(d) She angers easily but cools off just as quickly.
3. What, according to Ikem, is the enemy of art?
4. What do the anthills tell the grass of the savannah?
(a) They tell about the importance of hard work.
(b) They tell about last year's brush fires.
(c) They warn about a sandstorm on the way.
(d) They warn about a hard drought ahead.
5. What is the former career of Professor Okong, the Commissioner for Home Affairs?
(a) Army officer.
(b) Newspaper editor.
(c) Baptist minister.
6. What happens when Ikem goes to complain about the police constable's conduct?
(a) He is threatened.
(b) The officer who detained him is reprimanded severely.
(c) He is jailed.
(d) The officer who detained him denies ever seeing him before.
7. What is the meaning of the phrase uwa-t'uwa, which Beatrice used to repeat to herself as a child?
(a) World within a world.
(b) Woman born of woman.
(c) World without end.
(d) A woman is a woman.
8. How does Beatrice feel about Ikem?
(a) He was her first and greatest love.
(b) He was like a brother to her.
(c) She found him intelligent, but pompous and annoying.
(d) She admired him as if he were some kind of minor deity.
9. What is the Eye of God in the hymn?
(b) The Sun.
(c) A hurricane.
(d) The Moon.
10. At the end of Chapter 8, what does Chris say he won't do?
(a) Abandon his friend, the President.
(b) Give up the things he loves.
(c) Resign his job.
(d) Lie low.
11. What is Mad Medico's job?
(a) Malpractice lawyer.
(b) Hospital administrator.
(c) Surgeon general.
(d) The President's personal physician.
12. Who is Ikem Osodi?
(a) Commissioner for Information.
(c) Editor of the National Gazette.
(d) Commissioner for Education.
13. What does the powerful man have, according to the expression used by the Abazon elder?
(a) The yam and the knife.
(b) The ear of God.
(c) The palm oil and wine.
(d) The lightning bolt.
14. Which best describes Chris's opinion of Okong?
(a) Okong, though a buffoon, is one of the few honest politicians in the government.
(b) Okong, though a buffoon, is politically astute and adept at propaganda.
(c) Okong is a brilliant journalist and literary artist, if not a good politician.
(d) Okong, though he may seem harmless, is a dangerous man.
15. What god does Beatrice worship?
(a) The unknown god.
(b) A pagan goddess.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first shrine to Idemili?
2. In the hymn composed by Ikem, who is found dead in the marketplace?
3. In Chapter 4, the reader first learns the name of the fictional African country in which this novel is set. What is it?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 6, who invites Beatrice to a private dinner?
5. What advice does old President Ngongo once give to the President?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)