|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does old President Ngongo once give to the President?
(a) Rely on military training and discipline to survive.
(b) Beware your boyhood friends.
(c) Trust only your boyhood friends.
(d) Beware the men who flatter you most.
2. What is Chris's job when Beatrice first meets him?
(a) University student.
(c) Editor of the National Gazette.
(d) Commissioner of Information.
3. Which American poet does Ikem quote when he says, "Do I contradict myself? Very well, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes"?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
(c) Graham Greene.
(d) Robert Frost.
4. According to Chris, which of the following describes Ikem?
5. What do the people of Abazon do to anger the President?
(a) They took over a neighboring territory, brutally murdering the inhabitants.
(b) They wanted to become an independent state.
(c) They voted against his becoming President for life.
(d) They tried to overthrow him.
6. What is the first shrine to Idemili?
(a) A holy lake.
(b) A temple on a hill.
(c) A cave grotto.
(d) A holy river.
7. Why is Ikem Osodi's girlfriend, Elewa, angry with him in Chapter 4?
(a) Ikem refused to call the police when the neighbor beat his wife.
(b) Ikem is sending her home.
(c) Ikem will not eat the food Elewa cooked.
(d) She thinks Ikem's controversial editorials are putting them both at risk.
8. What does Chris do that angers Ikem in Chapter 3?
(a) Tells a lie about him to the President.
(b) Shouts at him in front of the Council.
(c) Forbids him to write a story about the delegation.
(d) Hangs up the phone on him.
9. At the beginning of Chapter 6, who invites Beatrice to a private dinner?
10. Which is most important in a great fight, according to the Abazon elder: the sounding of the battle drum, the fierce waging of the war itself, or the telling of the story afterwards?
(a) All are equally important.
(b) The fierce waging of the war itself.
(c) The battle drum.
(d) The story.
11. What is the real name of Mad Medico?
(a) John Madsen.
(b) Dick Smith.
(c) John Kent.
(d) Dr. Reginald Okong.
12. What is happening outside as the President holds a meeting with his cabinet?
(a) Gunfire breaks out on the streets.
(b) There is a large demonstration.
(c) There is a terrible dust storm.
(d) There is a violent hurricane.
13. What does the President claim to be?
(a) A simple soldier.
(b) A career politician.
(c) A law expert.
(d) A common civilian.
14. What is Sam's great talent?
(a) He is basically an actor with a great sense of theater.
(b) He is an accomplished classical pianist.
(c) He is extremely clever at manipulating people.
(d) He is a talented military strategist.
15. Who is Ikem Osodi?
(b) Editor of the National Gazette.
(c) Commissioner for Information.
(d) Commissioner for Education.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Idemili?
2. Which best describes Elewa's personality?
3. When Beatrice awakens the morning after her argument with the President, what does she hear a bird singing?
4. What does the delegation from Abazon say they want?
5. What natural disaster has occurred in Abazon province?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)