|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lou Cranford?
(a) A reporter with the American United Press.
(b) A student of political science.
(c) An American diplomat.
(d) A girlfriend of the President.
2. What is happening outside as the President holds a meeting with his cabinet?
(a) There is a large demonstration.
(b) There is a terrible dust storm.
(c) Gunfire breaks out on the streets.
(d) There is a violent hurricane.
3. When Beatrice awakens the morning after her argument with the President, what does she hear a bird singing?
(a) Is the king's property correct?
(b) Beatrice, Beatrice!
(c) Who mocks the king?
(d) Wake the lady, wake the lady!
4. What is Chris's job when Beatrice first meets him?
(a) Editor of the National Gazette.
(b) University student.
(c) Commissioner of Information.
5. What do the anthills tell the grass of the savannah?
(a) They tell about the importance of hard work.
(b) They warn about a sandstorm on the way.
(c) They warn about a hard drought ahead.
(d) They tell about last year's brush fires.
6. What is one of Beatrice's nicknames?
(a) Mama B.
7. On what pretext does a police constable detain Ikem as he leaves the meeting at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) The officer says he is driving an unregistered vehicle.
(b) He is forbidden to speak to the delegation or to write about it.
(c) The officer accuses him of colluding with the Abazonians in a plot against the President.
(d) The officer says he failed to use his parking light.
8. Where is Sam educated?
(c) West Point.
9. What is the real name of Mad Medico?
(a) Dick Smith.
(b) John Madsen.
(c) John Kent.
(d) Dr. Reginald Okong.
10. What does Mad Medico once do for the President while they are both in England?
(a) Introduced him to some powerful people.
(b) Nursed him through a long illness.
(c) Lent him some money.
(d) Found him a girlfriend.
11. To what does Ikem compose a hymn?
(a) To his country, Kangan.
(b) To God.
(c) To the Sun.
(d) To the Moon.
12. Which major character is from Abazon?
(a) The President himself.
(b) Ikem Osodi.
(c) Chris Oriko.
(d) Professor Okong.
13. What is the crime of Dr. Ofe, the target of another of Ikem's editorial crusades?
(a) He wrote insane graffiti terrorizing people in a hospital.
(b) He gave the family of a dead patient money to sue the hospital where he worked.
(c) He refused medical treatment to a man who could not pay, and the man died.
(d) He injected a patient with an overdose of morphine, and the man died.
14. To which character from literature does Beatrice compare the American woman, Lou Cranford?
15. What is the SRC?
(a) The committee in charge of propaganda.
(b) The secret police.
(c) A team of reporters from abroad.
(d) The national military.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the delegation from Abazon say they want?
2. What is the job of Mad Medico's English friend, Dick?
3. What does Beatrice criticize about Ikem's philosophy?
4. Who disapproves of Beatrice's being physically intimate with Chris while the two are not married?
5. What does Ikem think of the President, Sam?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)