|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Chris Oriko and the President first meet?
(a) They grew up in the same small village.
(b) They were schoolmates at the age of 13 or 14.
(c) They met at university in England.
(d) They were in the military together.
2. What is Beatrice's job?
(a) She works for the Ministry of Finance.
(b) She is a newspaper reporter.
(c) She is a literature professor.
(d) She works in a shop.
3. What weapon does the SRC director, Johnson Ossai, use to torture his victims during interrogations?
(a) A razor.
(b) A toilet plunger.
(c) A pair of scissors.
(d) A stapler.
4. Which American poet does Ikem quote when he says, "Do I contradict myself? Very well, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes"?
(a) Robert Frost.
(b) Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
(c) Graham Greene.
(d) Walt Whitman.
5. What is the Eye of God in the hymn?
(b) The Moon.
(c) A hurricane.
(d) The Sun.
6. What is the meaning of NTBB?
(a) No Treatment Before Billing.
(b) Not To Be Broadcast.
(c) National Trust Bank of Bassa.
(d) National Telecommunications Bureau of Bassa.
7. What does Sam originally want to become, before he is steered into a military career?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A musician.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A teacher.
8. What natural disaster has occurred in Abazon province?
(a) A flood.
(b) A hurricane.
(c) A drought.
(d) An earthquake.
9. When Beatrice awakens the morning after her argument with the President, what does she hear a bird singing?
(a) Is the king's property correct?
(b) Who mocks the king?
(c) Wake the lady, wake the lady!
(d) Beatrice, Beatrice!
10. Why is Beatrice angry with Chris in Chapter 8?
(a) She is angry that he did not attend the party with her.
(b) She thinks he meant for her to spy on the President.
(c) She thinks he cheated with another woman.
(d) She thinks he meant for her to sleep with the President.
11. Which is most important in a great fight, according to the Abazon elder: the sounding of the battle drum, the fierce waging of the war itself, or the telling of the story afterwards?
(a) The battle drum.
(b) The fierce waging of the war itself.
(c) The story.
(d) All are equally important.
12. In their conversation near the end of Chapter 8, what does Beatrice urge Chris to do?
(a) Run away with her to Europe.
(b) Distance himself from Ikem, who is in the President's disfavor.
(c) Apologize to the President on her behalf.
(d) Work to patch things up with Ikem and help protect him.
13. Where will the dinner Beatrice attends in Chapter 6 be held?
(a) At the Presidential Retreat.
(b) At the White House.
(c) At the U.S. Embassy.
(d) At the Presidential Palace.
14. What does the elder from Abazon call the President?
(c) The Great Ruler.
(d) The Big Chief.
15. How does the Attorney-General describe himself to the President?
(a) As a slave to his master.
(b) As the equal to any white man.
(c) As a good friend, like a brother to the President.
(d) As a poor ignorant bush person.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chris do that angers Ikem in Chapter 3?
2. What does Chris say the President is becoming?
3. Who is drinking with Mad Medico at the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. What is apparently the main reason the President refuses to visit Abazon?
5. What is the SRC?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)