• In the fictional African state of Kangan in the late 1980s, the President meets with his Council at government headquarters.
• The President's Commissioner for Information, Christopher Oriko, insists the President visit the province of Abazon, but the President angrily refuses.
• The other government ministers flatter the President and remind him that he is, after all, the nation's President-for-life.
• Eventually the topic returns to Abazon, and the President storms out in a huff.
• Moments later, a mass protest gathers outside.
• The alarmed President summons his Commissioner for Home Affairs, Professor Okong, described as a politically immoral master of propaganda.
• Christopher Oriko, who has known the President since both were schoolboys, reflects on the disturbing changes in his former friend.
• The President, a former Army Commander, came to power unexpectedly after a military coup and knew nothing of politics; now, his insecurity and greed for power are making him...
This section contains 1,965 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)