Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the old man and old woman react with during Phase one?
2. Which character "wasshes their hands" of Anowa in phase 1?
3. What is the name of the village, in which "Anowa" takes place?
4. Which character is at the center of the play?
5. How many years are men asking for Anowa's hand in marriage, as stated in the prologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the old man described in the prologue, and how is he described?
2. What are Badua's thoughts on slave labor?
3. Why is difference, or oddity, believed to be such a threat in the Yebi village, as can be deduced from the prologue?
4. Who is the old woman described in the prologue, and how is she described?
5. What do many people believe when they see Kofi Ako and Anowa working alongside each other?
6. What is Kofi Ako's reputation?
7. What is the overarching theme of Phase one? Explain.
8. What does Kofi Ako decide to do with Anowa in Phase three? What is his reasoning?
9. Why does Anowa vow to never return to Yebi?
10. What do the slave children say about Kofi Ako and Anowa?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of slavery present within the play, as well as the duality that slavery represents for multiple characters.
Essay Topic 2
Why is it that Badua feels a strong need for her daughter to marry, a man of her choosing?
Essay Topic 3
Men appear to be more sympathetic to Anowa's situation even from the very beginning, which men are perceived as being more sympathetic? And why is the sympathetic nature of these particular men fueled by, especially in regard to Anowa?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)