|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the path Anowa is believed to be destined for?
2. Which character in the story uses a system of projection/replacement as a way of making up for his/her shortcomings?
3. As explained in the prologue, who sets up the tale of Anowa?
4. According to Aidoo's explanation in the prologue, where do the white men come from?
5. What aspect does the female part of Being-The-Mouth-That-Eats-Salt-And-Pepper take on according to Phase one of the text?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Anowa's personality like, as described in the Prologue of the play?
2. How does Anowa loot by Phase three?
3. What are Badua's thoughts on slave labor?
4. How does Badua react when Anowa insists upon marrying Kofi Ako?
5. What does Osam believe the future holds for Anowa?
6. As some time passes, what becomes of the business Kofi Ako and Anowa begin at the opening of Phase two?
7. What is the overarching theme of Phase one? Explain.
8. Describe Kofi Ako's home.
9. Who does the old woman blame for the tragedies of this story and why?
10. Describe the weather in the opening of Phase two.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Anowa introduced to the reader? Is she presented in a negative light? Positive light? Is there any foreshadowing in her introduction?
Essay Topic 2
What historical/cultural implications can be drawn about the Ghana area, as described throughout the play? How do these implications apply to the events within the story?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Anowa is referred to as a feminist.
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)