|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the old woman, what does time do to children?
2. What is the other woman in Phase one carrying?
3. At what point in Phase one, do the Old Man and woman appear?
4. Aidoo sets the prologue of the story in this place, setting the stage for the beginning of colonialism.
5. What is the name of the village, in which "Anowa" takes place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kofi Ako's reputation?
2. What suggestion does Kofi Ako make in order to save Anowa from some of the hard labor she puts in?
3. Why does Anowa vow to never return to Yebi?
4. As can be seen in Phase one, what is the father's role in finding his daughter a husband? How is this tradition made apparent through the text?
5. How does Badua react when Anowa insists upon marrying Kofi Ako?
6. In Phase two, what is it that Badua and Osam are discussing?
7. How does Kofi Ako die?
8. What does Kofi Ako want to buy woman slaves?
9. As some time passes, what becomes of the business Kofi Ako and Anowa begin at the opening of Phase two?
10. As mentioned in the prologue, what do the consequences of the story stem from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Men appear to be more sympathetic to Anowa's situation even from the very beginning, which men are perceived as being more sympathetic? And why is the sympathetic nature of these particular men fueled by, especially in regard to Anowa?
Essay Topic 2
By the end of the play, what conclusions can be drawn about the implications of following tribal conventions? Provide different perspectives for this answer, and give your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Anowa is referred to as a feminist.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)