|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anowa's personality/attitude _________ her from those around her.
2. Which character is at the center of the play?
3. How many young men propose to Anowa over the years?
4. As explained in the prologue, who sets up the tale of Anowa?
5. Who, in Phase one, makes the suggestion of Anowa becoming a high priestess?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the primary conflict between Anowa and her parents as describe in the Prologue?
2. What does Kofi Ako decide to do with Anowa in Phase three? What is his reasoning?
3. What is the overarching theme of Phase one? Explain.
4. How does Anowa loot by Phase three?
5. Describe the type of relationships that are presented in the prologue and which are said to recur throughout the play.
6. What does Osam believe the future holds for Anowa?
7. What is the real reason that Anowa commits suicide?
8. What is the glue of the Yebi village, as can be seen in the prologue?
9. Describe the weather in the opening of Phase two.
10. Why is difference, or oddity, believed to be such a threat in the Yebi village, as can be deduced from the prologue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the male-female relationship present throughout the play? What does Aidoo use this relationship to represent? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How do those around Anowa, contribute to the tragic events of her life? How can these tragedies be prevented?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Aidoo choose to involve the tribe elders in the story? What do they contribute? What points arise in their commentary?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)