|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anowa pack up during Phase one?
2. What is the voice of the old man and woman supposed to represent in terms of the village?
3. Whom does Anowa encounter in Phase one?
4. What type of relationships is the play built around?
5. How many different settings are there in Aidoo's play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kofi Ako concerned for Anowa and the work she is doing with the animal skins?
2. What is Kofi Ako's status by the beginning of Phase three
3. What is the primary conflict between Anowa and her parents as describe in the Prologue?
4. What is the overarching theme of Phase one? Explain.
5. What are Badua's thoughts on slave labor?
6. Explain what affects Badua's outlook and opinions for Anowa, as explained in the prologue.
7. What is the old man's view on the situation?
8. What do the slave children say about Kofi Ako and Anowa?
9. Explain the level of understanding that Osam has for Anowa.
10. Describe the first encounter between Kofi Ako and Anowa.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the subjugation of women is relevant in the case of the this story. Use in-text citations to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
How do those around Anowa, contribute to the tragic events of her life? How can these tragedies be prevented?
Essay Topic 3
What historical/cultural implications can be drawn about the Ghana area, as described throughout the play? How do these implications apply to the events within the story?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)