|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word does Badua use to describe Kofi Ako in Phase one?
2. What is the voice of the old man and woman supposed to represent in terms of the village?
3. How many surviving children does Badua have?
4. Who does Badua discuss Anowa with at the beginning of Phase one?
5. Which of the following does not accurately describe Badua's character, as she is identified in the prologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the discussion that occurs when the audience is first introduced to Badua and Osam in Phase one.
2. What is the glue of the Yebi village, as can be seen in the prologue?
3. Because of the "glue" that shapes the Yebi village, why does that make Anowa's character even more problematic?
4. What suggestion does Kofi Ako make in order to save Anowa from some of the hard labor she puts in?
5. How does Kofi Ako die?
6. How does Anowa loot by Phase three?
7. Who is the old woman described in the prologue, and how is she described?
8. Why do the people of the village blame Badua for Anowa's odd behavior?
9. What does Anowa realize about Kofi Ako by Phase three?
10. Describe Kofi Ako's home.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the importance of tribe elders established, even in the prologue of the story?
Essay Topic 2
What circumstances improve the relationship that Anowa has with Badua and Osam? How do they contribute to its destruction?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the male-female relationship present throughout the play? What does Aidoo use this relationship to represent? Explain.
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)