|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Aidoo write "Anowa"?
2. Who asks Anowa to marry him in Phase one?
3. How does the other party react, when seeing the nature of the connection between Kofi Ako and Anowa in Phase one?
4. What is the path Anowa is believed to be destined for?
5. Which character "wasshes their hands" of Anowa in phase 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the old woman described in the prologue, and how is she described?
2. How is life lived in the village of Yebi?
3. Why does Anowa vow to never return to Yebi?
4. What do many people believe when they see Kofi Ako and Anowa working alongside each other?
5. What is the real reason that Anowa commits suicide?
6. How does Anowa die?
7. As can be seen in Phase one, what is the father's role in finding his daughter a husband? How is this tradition made apparent through the text?
8. Describe what Kofi Ako and Anowa are doing at the beginning of Phase two.
9. Who is the old man described in the prologue, and how is he described?
10. What is the overarching theme of Phase one? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anowa's character is clearly a vehicle for a different kind of thinking. Which way of thinking is represented with Anowa's character? And what is the purpose for presenting this way of thinking as such?
Essay Topic 2
Given Anowa's refusal to marry a man who is chosen for her, what is said about the values placed on love within the confines of the story?
Essay Topic 3
How is Kofi Ako's character deceiving? What is it that Kofi Ako embodies and how does he differ from the embodiment that is, Anowa?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)