|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Aidoo select the time period to set the play?
2. Which of the following is not said to be included in the play?
3. As explained in the prologue, who sets up the tale of Anowa?
4. In what year does Aidoo write "Anowa"?
5. Who does Anowa's willfulness reflect on? As is typically seen in the villagers tradition.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the weather of the Ghana coast described in the prologue?
2. What is Anowa's personality like, as described in the Prologue of the play?
3. Who is the old woman described in the prologue, and how is she described?
4. As some time passes, what becomes of the business Kofi Ako and Anowa begin at the opening of Phase two?
5. As can been seen in Phase one, how do you describe the voice of the old woman?
6. What is the old man's view on the situation?
7. How does Badua react when Anowa insists upon marrying Kofi Ako?
8. Why is Kofi Ako concerned for Anowa and the work she is doing with the animal skins?
9. As can be seen in Phase one, what is the father's role in finding his daughter a husband? How is this tradition made apparent through the text?
10. Describe the type of relationships that are presented in the prologue and which are said to recur throughout the play.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Men appear to be more sympathetic to Anowa's situation even from the very beginning, which men are perceived as being more sympathetic? And why is the sympathetic nature of these particular men fueled by, especially in regard to Anowa?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the subjugation of women is relevant in the case of the this story. Use in-text citations to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
How do those around Anowa, contribute to the tragic events of her life? How can these tragedies be prevented?
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)