|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which part of the landscape, as described in the prologue, balances out the lands?
2. How many years past puberty is Anowa?
3. According to Aidoo's explanation in the prologue, where do the white men come from?
4. What type of chorus do the old man and the old woman represent throughout the play, as stated in the prologue?
5. By the end of Phase one, the old man believes that Anowa is destined for ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the old man described in the prologue, and how is he described?
2. Describe Kofi Ako's home.
3. What is the glue of the Yebi village, as can be seen in the prologue?
4. What is the function of Being-The-Mouth-That-Eats-Salt-And-Pepper, as described by Aidoo in the prologue?
5. Describe the weather in the opening of Phase two.
6. What does Anowa realize about Kofi Ako by Phase three?
7. Describe the type of relationships that are presented in the prologue and which are said to recur throughout the play.
8. Describe the gap of communication that exists between Badua and Anowa.
9. As can be seen in Phase one, how do you describe the voice of the old man?
10. What do many people believe when they see Kofi Ako and Anowa working alongside each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Kofi Ako's character deceiving? What is it that Kofi Ako embodies and how does he differ from the embodiment that is, Anowa?
Essay Topic 2
Given Anowa's refusal to marry a man who is chosen for her, what is said about the values placed on love within the confines of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why is it that Badua feels a strong need for her daughter to marry, a man of her choosing?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)