|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anowa vow to do in Phase one?
2. What genre does Aidoo's play fall into?
3. What does Anowa insist she helps Kofi Ako with?
4. What is the name of the village, in which "Anowa" takes place?
5. The grand theme of this play lies mainly in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kofi Ako's reputation?
2. What suggestion does Kofi Ako make in order to save Anowa from some of the hard labor she puts in?
3. How do you describe Kofi Ako's personality, as seen in Phase one?
4. What does the old man say about the argument between Badua and Anowa?
5. Why is difference, or oddity, believed to be such a threat in the Yebi village, as can be deduced from the prologue?
6. What is the primary conflict between Anowa and her parents as describe in the Prologue?
7. Describe the weather in the opening of Phase two.
8. Describe the monologue that Anowa gives in Phase three.
9. What does Kofi Ako wish for as Anowa sleeps?
10. Explain the discussion that occurs when the audience is first introduced to Badua and Osam in Phase one.
Essay Topic 1
Differences are things that occur in everyday life. How are differences, or things of unusual nature, perceived by the people of the Yebi village? Given the authors prologue and direction of the story, do you consider the author to be tolerant of things that are different? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What circumstances improve the relationship that Anowa has with Badua and Osam? How do they contribute to its destruction?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the male-female relationship present throughout the play? What does Aidoo use this relationship to represent? Explain.
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)