|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Osam, Anowa is not like _____________.
2. In what part of Africa does the "Anowa" take place?
3. Aidoo writes her play during what major political literary movement?
4. What else does Anowa's becoming a priestess bring to her family?
5. What is the path Anowa is believed to be destined for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the level of understanding that Osam has for Anowa.
2. Describe what Kofi Ako and Anowa are doing at the beginning of Phase two.
3. What is the real reason that Anowa commits suicide?
4. What does Anowa realize about Kofi Ako by Phase three?
5. As can be seen in Phase one, what is the father's role in finding his daughter a husband? How is this tradition made apparent through the text?
6. Why is Kofi Ako concerned for Anowa and the work she is doing with the animal skins?
7. Describe Kofi Ako's home.
8. Why does Anowa vow to never return to Yebi?
9. Explain what affects Badua's outlook and opinions for Anowa, as explained in the prologue.
10. How does Anowa die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Men appear to be more sympathetic to Anowa's situation even from the very beginning, which men are perceived as being more sympathetic? And why is the sympathetic nature of these particular men fueled by, especially in regard to Anowa?
Essay Topic 2
How is Kofi Ako's character deceiving? What is it that Kofi Ako embodies and how does he differ from the embodiment that is, Anowa?
Essay Topic 3
How is the importance of tribe elders established, even in the prologue of the story?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)