|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the other party react, when seeing the nature of the connection between Kofi Ako and Anowa in Phase one?
2. Anowa's personality/attitude _________ her from those around her.
3. As stated in the prologue, who is the most important enemy for the Fanti, as well and the British?
4. Which word does Badua use to describe Kofi Ako in Phase one?
5. According to the village customs, being born a high priestess is ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the weather in the opening of Phase two.
2. What is the overarching theme of Phase one? Explain.
3. Who does the old woman blame for the tragedies of this story and why?
4. How is life lived in the village of Yebi?
5. Explain the discussion that occurs when the audience is first introduced to Badua and Osam in Phase one.
6. What is Anowa's position on purchasing slave labor?
7. As can be seen in Phase two, what is Anowa's chief concern?
8. What suggestion does Kofi Ako make in order to save Anowa from some of the hard labor she puts in?
9. How does Anowa react to Kofi Ako's request that she buy a new dress?
10. How do you describe Kofi Ako's personality, as seen in Phase one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aidoo often writes with some kind of political agenda. Provided what you know about Aidoo and the play, what type of political agenda is present within the story? Be sure to cite specific passages and clarify to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of slavery present within the play, as well as the duality that slavery represents for multiple characters.
Essay Topic 3
Given Anowa's refusal to marry a man who is chosen for her, what is said about the values placed on love within the confines of the story?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)