|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Anowa represents a ____________ to the conventional ways of her village.
2. Which character in the story uses a system of projection/replacement as a way of making up for his/her shortcomings?
(b) Kofi Ako.
3. Anowa's personality/attitude _________ her from those around her.
4. What is the name of the village, in which "Anowa" takes place?
5. How many surviving children does Badua have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character "wasshes their hands" of Anowa in phase 1?
2. What is the voice of the old man and woman supposed to represent in terms of the village?
3. What is the path Anowa is believed to be destined for?
4. In what part of Africa does the "Anowa" take place?
5. What is the surest way for Badua to get Anowa to do something?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the weather in the opening of Phase two.
2. As can be seen in Phase two, what is Anowa's chief concern?
3. What does Anowa realize about Kofi Ako by Phase three?
4. As can been seen in Phase one, how do you describe the voice of the old woman?
5. Describe the reasoning that the old man gives for the anger of those in the Yebi village toward Anowa?
6. What suggestion does Kofi Ako make in order to save Anowa from some of the hard labor she puts in?
7. As can be seen in Phase one, what is the father's role in finding his daughter a husband? How is this tradition made apparent through the text?
8. What does Kofi Ako want to buy woman slaves?
9. Why do the people of the village blame Badua for Anowa's odd behavior?
10. What is the function of Being-The-Mouth-That-Eats-Salt-And-Pepper, as described by Aidoo in the prologue?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)