|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Phase two of the text, which word best describes how Anowa is feeling at the beginning of the phase?
2. What suggestion does Kofi Ako make to Anowa, after he has his self discussion?
(a) That he takes another wife.
(b) That they quit their business.
(c) That they move back to Yebi.
(d) That they buy some slaves.
3. Badua believes that slavery _________________.
(a) Is nothing she ever hears of.
(b) Is something that cannot be changed.
(c) Is morally wrong.
(d) Makes life easier.
4. Whom does Anowa begin talking to during her breakdown in Phase three?
(a) The house furnishings.
(b) The tribe elders.
(c) The slaves.
(d) The spirits of her siblings.
5. How many years pass when the scene is focused again on Kofi Ako and Anowa?
(d) Not many.
6. By the middle of Phase two, how is the business of Anowa and Kofi Ako doing?
(a) It is doing poorly.
(b) It plumets.
(c) It is prosperous.
(d) It is doing alright.
7. Anowa is told to do what with these memories, present in her monologue?
(a) Hold on to them always.
(b) Keep them close.
(c) Use them as a source of strength.
(d) Forget them.
8. What does Anowa realize about Kofi Ako in Phase three?
(a) That he does not love her.
(b) That he goes mad.
(c) That he becomes impotent.
(d) That he is a bad man.
9. What is the ultimate cause of Kofi Ako's decision to commit suicide?
(b) He has nowhere else to go.
(c) Feelings of guilt
(d) He is miserable.
10. What is it that keeps Anowa from returning to Yebi?
11. What is revealed in the old man and woman's commentary, regarding Kofi's tendency to buy slaves?
(a) He is too greedy.
(b) He uses slaves to solve his financial problems.
(c) He is doing it as an attempt to please Anowa.
(d) He uses the slaves to replace children.
12. What does Anowa do as the lights begin to dim?
13. Kofi Ako suggests to Anowa that she _________________, in Phase three.
(a) Have a child.
(b) Buy a new dress.
(d) Make some friends.
14. How is Anowa dressed in Phase three?
(a) She is dressed modestly but in new clothes.
(b) Her dress is not stated.
(c) She is dressed in rich and luxurious fabrics.
(d) She wears only a shabby dress.
15. Who enters Anowa's home in Phase three, and begins to discuss the relationship of Kofi Ako and Anowa?
(a) The old man and old woman.
(b) Kofi Ako monologues about their relationship.
(c) A boy and girl slave.
(d) Osam and Badua.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of effect does Anowa's behavior have on her marriage with Kofi Ako?
2. The ending provided by Aidoo, is a traditional literary form of expression, a _____________ tale.
3. How does Anowa react to Kofi Ako's suggestion in Phase two?
4. What is Anowa unable to do by the end of Phase two?
5. How does Kofi Ako travel into town?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)