|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Anowa dressed in Phase three?
(a) She is dressed modestly but in new clothes.
(b) She wears only a shabby dress.
(c) She is dressed in rich and luxurious fabrics.
(d) Her dress is not stated.
2. What is Kofi Ako carrying toward the end of Phase two as he and Anowa continue their trade?
(a) Only one animal skin.
(b) A large bundle of animal skins.
(c) Large sticks.
(d) A light bundle.
3. What suggestion does Kofi Ako make to Anowa, after he has his self discussion?
(a) That they buy some slaves.
(b) That he takes another wife.
(c) That they move back to Yebi.
(d) That they quit their business.
4. How many years pass when the scene is focused again on Kofi Ako and Anowa?
(a) Not many.
5. What does Anowa see to be her biggest problem at this point in the play?
(a) That she does not see her mother and father in many years.
(b) That she does not become a high priestess.
(c) That she does not love her husband.
(d) That she is still childless.
6. What is heard from offstage in Phase three?
(a) A gunshot.
(b) A loud crash.
(c) A laugh.
7. What does the old man say about the relationship between man and wife?
(a) That a man should have counsel over his wife.
(b) That a man and a wife should be equal.
(c) That a man should respect his wife's wishes.
(d) That the wife should speak freely from her husband.
8. What does Osam dissuade Badua from doing in Phase two?
(a) Arresting Anowa.
(b) Going to find Anowa.
(c) Marrying another man.
(d) Leaving Yebi.
9. What does Anowa realize about Kofi Ako in Phase three?
(a) That he does not love her.
(b) That he goes mad.
(c) That he is a bad man.
(d) That he becomes impotent.
10. The ending provided by Aidoo, is a traditional literary form of expression, a _____________ tale.
11. What does the issue of slavery do to the marriage of Kofi Ako and Anowa?
(a) It causes them to be grateful for the status of their lives.
(b) It allows them to spend more time together.
(c) It strengthens the marriage.
(d) It continues to divide them.
12. Before Anowa's realization in Phase three, what is the community's assumption about Anowa?
(a) That she is barren.
(b) That she is ascetic.
(c) That she is frigid.
(d) That she is Kofi's slave.
13. Who does the old woman blame for Kofi's death?
(a) His greediness.
(b) His impotence.
14. As stated in Phase three, it is many years since Kofi Ako and Anowa _________.
(a) Share a bed.
(b) Seak to one another.
(c) Live in the same home.
(d) Show affection.
15. Anowa begins a monologue regarding an incident that occurs when she is what age?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anowa carrying as she and Kofi Ako continue their trade in Phase two?
2. What is revealed in the old man and woman's commentary, regarding Kofi's tendency to buy slaves?
3. How does Kofi Ako react to Anowa's suggestion in Phase two?
4. Who does the old woman blame for the state of the marriage between Kofi Ako and Anowa?
5. What is Anowa doing in Phase two, while Kofi Ako talks to himself?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)