|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Anowa's response to Kofi Ako inability to understand why Anowa cannot be like other wives and be content?
(a) A hysterical laugh.
(b) She tells him that she tries.
(c) She begins to cry.
(d) She is awed and stunned into complete silence.
2. How is Anowa dressed in Phase three?
(a) She is dressed modestly but in new clothes.
(b) She wears only a shabby dress.
(c) Her dress is not stated.
(d) She is dressed in rich and luxurious fabrics.
3. How does Anowa commit suicide?
4. In Phase three, the statement is made that Kofi Ako is afraid of what?
(b) The gods.
5. Whom does the old woman think is the root of a problem like Anowa?
(a) The Yebi village.
(d) Kofi Ako.
6. Who does the old woman blame for Kofi's death?
(a) His greediness.
(c) His impotence.
7. What does the old woman say about the business of slavery?
(a) That it is necessary.
(b) She says nothing about it.
(c) That it is morally wrong.
(d) That she does not understand it.
8. How many times throughout Phase two, is the suggestion of Kofi Ako taking another wife made?
9. What type of business do Anowa and Kofi Ako start?
(b) The do not start a business.
(d) Animal trading.
10. Who seems particularly excited about Kofi Ako's arrival into town?
(a) Young women.
(d) Kofi's mother and sister.
11. What prediction does the Old woman make in regard to the marriage of Kofi Ako and Anowa?
(a) That he exercises his power over her.
(b) That Anowa crushes Kofi Ako.
(c) That they split up.
(d) That Kofi Ako kills Anowa.
12. How does Anowa react to Kofi Ako's suggestion in Phase two?
(a) She is saddened.
(b) She is pleased.
(c) She is relieved.
(d) She is angry.
13. How does Kofi Ako travel into town?
(a) On a train.
(b) In a luxurious carriage.
(c) In a luxurious car.
(d) On a chair carried by his slaves.
14. Anowa is told to do what with these memories, present in her monologue?
(a) Forget them.
(b) Keep them close.
(c) Hold on to them always.
(d) Use them as a source of strength.
15. Whom does Anowa begin talking to during her breakdown in Phase three?
(a) The spirits of her siblings.
(b) The slaves.
(c) The house furnishings.
(d) The tribe elders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Anowa's realization in Phase three, what is the community's assumption about Anowa?
2. How does Kofi Ako commit suicide?
3. Who offers up the lessons in the story?
4. Who is the funeral procession headed by?
5. What does Kofi Ako finally tell Anowa she must do?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)