|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kofi Ako finally tell Anowa she must do?
(a) Have a child.
(b) Begin to act normal.
(c) Leave his house.
(d) Buy a better dress.
2. Anowa's monologue recalls memories about the arrival of whom?
(a) Her parents.
(d) White men.
3. Anowa is told to do what with these memories, present in her monologue?
(a) Keep them close.
(b) Forget them.
(c) Use them as a source of strength.
(d) Hold on to them always.
4. What type of footwear does Anowa wear?
(a) Rich leather shoes.
(b) Cloth shoes.
(c) Cheaply made shoes from animal skins.
(d) She is barefoot.
5. How is Anowa dressed in Phase three?
(a) She wears only a shabby dress.
(b) She is dressed in rich and luxurious fabrics.
(c) Her dress is not stated.
(d) She is dressed modestly but in new clothes.
6. What is Anowa's response to Kofi Ako inability to understand why Anowa cannot be like other wives and be content?
(a) A hysterical laugh.
(b) She is awed and stunned into complete silence.
(c) She tells him that she tries.
(d) She begins to cry.
7. Who offers up the lessons in the story?
(a) The old man.
(c) The old woman.
8. What is the ultimate cause of Kofi Ako's decision to commit suicide?
(a) Feelings of guilt
(b) He is miserable.
(d) He has nowhere else to go.
9. Whom does Anowa begin talking to during her breakdown in Phase three?
(a) The tribe elders.
(b) The slaves.
(c) The spirits of her siblings.
(d) The house furnishings.
10. Kofi Ako suggests to Anowa that she _________________, in Phase three.
(a) Buy a new dress.
(c) Have a child.
(d) Make some friends.
11. Who does the old man blame for Anowa's death?
(a) Kofi Ako.
(c) The villagers of Yebi.
12. In Phase three, the statement is made that Kofi Ako is afraid of what?
(c) The gods.
13. What is heard from offstage in Phase three?
(a) A laugh.
(b) A gunshot.
(c) A loud crash.
14. What is Anowa carrying as she and Kofi Ako continue their trade in Phase two?
(a) A light bundle.
(b) A large bundle.
(c) Only one animal skin.
(d) A stick.
15. Who is the funeral procession headed by?
(a) Kofi's parents.
(b) Badua and Osam.
(c) The slaves of Kofi and Anowa.
(d) The old man and woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anowa realize about Kofi Ako in Phase three?
2. What does the old woman say about the business of slavery?
3. The ending provided by Aidoo, is a traditional literary form of expression, a _____________ tale.
4. Before Anowa's realization in Phase three, what is the community's assumption about Anowa?
5. What is Badua and Osam's reaction to the tragedy?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)