|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aidoo sets the prologue of the story in this place, setting the stage for the beginning of colonialism.
2. Which word best describes Badua's feelings upon hearing Anowa's news in Phase one, as can be seen in the text?
3. As explained in the prologue, who sets up the tale of Anowa?
(a) The ghost of Anowa.
(b) Slave boys.
(c) Tribe elders.
4. This person typically is responsible for choosing a husband for the daughter.
(a) The matchmaker.
(b) The old woman.
(c) The mother.
(d) The father.
5. Which part of the landscape, as described in the prologue, balances out the lands?
(a) A river.
(b) A valley.
(c) A lake.
(d) A mountain.
6. _____________ is the surest way of survival in the village that the characters live in.
7. Badua believes that Kofi Ako comes from what kind of family?
(a) An honest family.
(b) A bad family.
(c) A wealthy family.
(d) A family of thieves.
8. Who, in Phase one, makes the suggestion of Anowa becoming a high priestess?
(a) Kofi Ako.
9. According to the village customs, being born a high priestess is ____________.
(a) A high honor.
(b) A great tragedy.
(c) Great responsibility.
(d) Frowned upon.
10. What is the one oddity in the village, as described in the prologue?
(a) The weather.
(c) Kofi Ako.
(d) The high priestess.
11. Which character in the play portrays the ideal woman figure in African culture?
(b) The girl slave.
12. In the prologue, Aidoo explains this treaty that binds the people of Ghana to the white men.
(a) Bond of 1845.
(b) The Bond of the 1800s.
(c) Bond of 1844.
(d) 1844 Fanti.
13. Anowa and Badua ____________ in Phase one, regarding Anowa's marriage.
14. What genre does Aidoo's play fall into?
(a) The victorian novel.
(c) Post colonialism.
15. How many generations of characters are presented in the prologue of the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Aidoo select the time period to set the play?
2. What is the other woman in Phase one carrying?
3. Who does the old woman have sympathy for by the end of Phase one?
4. By the end of Phase one, the old man believes that Anowa is destined for ________________.
5. What type of input do the people of Anowa's village have in regard to how their country is run politically?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)