|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As explained in the prologue, who sets up the tale of Anowa?
(b) Slave boys.
(c) Tribe elders.
(d) The ghost of Anowa.
2. What does Aidoo use to help in the construction of the play's characters?
(a) Creation mythology.
(b) African heritage.
(c) Historical elements.
(d) Her mother.
3. What genre does Aidoo's play fall into?
(b) The victorian novel.
(d) Post colonialism.
4. How many of these relationship couplings are presented within the play?
5. How many surviving children does Badua have?
6. What does Osam say about the men from Kofi Ako's family?
(a) They make good husbands.
(b) They are lazy.
(c) They are thieves.
(d) They are horrible men.
7. How many different settings are there in Aidoo's play?
8. How many years pass since the treaty is signed with the Europeans, as Aidoo sets the play up?
9. Which of the following is not said to be included in the play?
(a) Conventional relationships.
(d) Familial values.
10. What does Anowa vow to do in Phase one?
(a) To never marry.
(b) To become a high priestess.
(c) To never return home.
(d) To never have children.
11. What does Osam attempt in Phase one in order to gain some control/peace?
(b) An argument.
(c) An intervention.
12. Who originally tells Aidoo the story of Anowa?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
13. What is the voice of the old man and woman supposed to represent in terms of the village?
(a) A type of godly figure.
(b) The whole of the village.
(c) Anowa's grandparents.
(d) Tribe ghosts.
14. What type of chorus do the old man and the old woman represent throughout the play, as stated in the prologue?
(a) Greek chorus.
(c) Roman chorus.
(d) Elizabethan chorus.
15. What is the surest way for Badua to get Anowa to do something?
(a) To encourage it.
(b) To force it.
(c) To ignore it.
(d) To forbid it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, in Phase one, makes the suggestion of Anowa becoming a high priestess?
2. Finish the statement, as seen in Phase one. Anowa ___________ to marry the men her parents choose.
3. Aidoo sets the prologue of the story in this place, setting the stage for the beginning of colonialism.
4. How does the other party react, when seeing the nature of the connection between Kofi Ako and Anowa in Phase one?
5. What is another name for the coast on which the play is set?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)