|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which part of the landscape, as described in the prologue, balances out the lands?
(a) A lake.
(b) A valley.
(c) A river.
(d) A mountain.
2. Which African form of oral literature is Aidoo's play passed down from?
(b) The African affirmation tale.
3. What is the name of the village, in which "Anowa" takes place?
4. What genre does Aidoo's play fall into?
(c) The victorian novel.
(d) Post colonialism.
5. Aidoo sets the prologue of the story in this place, setting the stage for the beginning of colonialism.
6. How many different settings are there in Aidoo's play?
7. According to the village customs, being born a high priestess is ____________.
(a) A high honor.
(b) Frowned upon.
(c) A great tragedy.
(d) Great responsibility.
8. How many surviving children does Badua have?
9. What aspect does the female part of Being-The-Mouth-That-Eats-Salt-And-Pepper take on according to Phase one of the text?
10. According to Kofi Ako's reputation with the village, he thinks himself to be __________.
(a) A con artist.
(b) Very intelligent.
(c) Destined for greatness.
(d) Too handsome.
11. Where is Aidoo originally from, as stated in the prologue of the story?
12. What does Badua say in response to Anowa insisting on helping Kofi Ako?
(a) She questions Anowa.
(b) She begins to understand Anowa's side.
(c) She insists upon his laziness.
(d) She points out his failures.
13. Anowa represents a ____________ to the conventional ways of her village.
14. Who does Badua discuss Anowa with at the beginning of Phase one?
(a) The old woman.
(c) The old man.
(d) Kofi Ako.
15. According to Osam, Anowa is not like _____________.
(a) Other people.
(b) Other boys.
(c) Other girls.
(d) He and Badua.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the prologue, Aidoo explains this treaty that binds the people of Ghana to the white men.
2. Who, in Phase one, makes the suggestion of Anowa becoming a high priestess?
3. What does Aidoo use to help in the construction of the play's characters?
4. What does Osam attempt in Phase one in order to gain some control/peace?
5. Who do the old man and old woman react with during Phase one?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)