|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the biologist do with the special journal that she discovers inside the lighthouse?
2. How does the psychologist describe the biologist's mother?
3. How do the biologist's perceptions change in the moments before the surveyor dies?
4. What does the biologist discover piled into a hidden area underneath the secret trapdoor in the lighthouse?
5. How did the psychologist end up on the ground at the bottom of the lighthouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the biologist discover about the black boxes?
2. What reason does the psychologist give the biologist for being on the beach?
3. What does the biologist suspect about those personality traits of hers that the psychologist might have been professionally inclined to disapprove of?
4. What does the biologist describe as her best field assignment?
5. What does the biologist discover below the trap door in the lighthouse?
6. What are some details that the biologist learns from the journals that she finds under the trap door in the lighthouse?
7. What does the biologist learn about the moaning noise on her way back to basecamp in 04: Immersion?
8. What are the psychologist's first words to the biologist at the bottom of the lighthouse and what do we later learn they mean?
9. How do the words on the walls of the lighthouse differ from the words on the walls of the tower?
10. What does the biologist reveal about the first expedition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At multiple points in the novel, the biologist describes the diverse ecosystem that exists within Area X. At multiple times, she thinks back to ecosystems that she has experienced in her work and her personal life. Write an essay analyzing the role that ecosystem play in the action of the novel. In your conclusion, explain the relevance of ecosystems to the novel's themes.
Essay Topic 2
One of the prominent themes of the novel is "what makes us human." Analyze how this text grapples with that idea. Use the text for evidence and analyze, according to the text, what makes us human.
Essay Topic 3
The journals that are found in the lighthouse reveal as much to the biologist as they do further her confusion. What do the journals symbolize? In what ways do they make her understanding of this missions and Area X more defined? In what ways do they further confuse her?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)