|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How high was Camp IV?
2. Which of the following was positioned south of Herzog's exploratory expedition route?
3. What dangers did Herzog and his team encounter during their ascent?
4. What was the author's role in the expedition?
5. Which of the following roles did the expedition not arrange to fill with a specialist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Herzog team's first attempts to scout Annapurna.
2. What did Herzog find when he returned to Camp III after establishing Camp IV?
3. Describe the initial discoveries made by Herzog, Terray, and Lachenal as they searched for routes to the summit of Annapurna.
4. Describe Herzog and his team's visit from the Buddhist Lama.
5. Describe Herzog's technique for running the May 14 meeting.
6. What various types of danger did Herzog and his team encounter above Camp II?
7. Describe the first day of the exploratory expedition up the spur that was identified by Terray and Lachenal.
8. Describe the team's first attempts to reconnoiter Dhaulagiri.
9. Describe Herzog and his team's progress en route to Camp II.
10. What strategy did Herzog decide to follow in climbing Annapurna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On recent expeditions to Everest, it seems to have become commonplace for climbers to be left for dead. What were some of the factors that prevented that decision from being made in relation to the expedition to Annapurna?
Essay Topic 2
What were the international repercussions that resulted from the accomplishments that were attained by Herzog and his team?
Essay Topic 3
How did members of the expedition to Annapurna break new ground through discoveries or pioneering in fields of knowledge?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)