|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visited the climbers' camp?
2. Which of the following did Lachenal and Rebuffat look for after Herzog returned from the spur?
3. What was the consensus of the May 14 meeting?
4. How did the Sherpas feel about following the route that Herzog had blazed?
5. How many expeditions had tried and failed to ascend higher than 8,000 meters before Herzog's expedition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the context within which Herzog and his team made their attempt on Dhaulagiri and Annapurna?
2. What would the expedition to Annapurna entail?
3. Describe the tests that Dr. Oudot performed on the men at the beginning of the expedition.
4. Describe the efforts to find an ascent route up the plateau route to Annapurna.
5. Describe Herzog and his team's visit from the Buddhist Lama.
6. What trail did Herzog establish the day after setting up Camp III?
7. Describe the first day of the exploratory expedition up the spur that was identified by Terray and Lachenal.
8. Describe the approach to Tukucha.
9. What happened at the May 14 meeting?
10. Describe Herzog and his team's efforts to find the Tilicho Pass.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Can 'Annapurna' best be described as a morality tale, an allegory, or a symbolic quest? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Do you agree with the claim that the expedition was not a complete success, because out of all the team members, only Herzog and Lachenal ultimately reached the summit?
Essay Topic 3
Can you describe Herzog's authority and his leadership style based on his decisions and his descriptions of same in the book?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)