|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Herzog feel about his team's chances of being able to summit?
2. Where did Herzog and Rebuffat camp on May 19?
3. Who took equipment to Camp II with the Sherpas when Herzog and his team arrived from Base Camp?
4. What was the consensus of the May 14 meeting?
5. Who served as doctor during the expedition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would the expedition to Annapurna entail?
2. Describe the second day of the exploratory expedition up the spur.
3. Describe Herzog and his team's experience with acclimatization.
4. Describe Herzog and his team's progress en route to Camp II.
5. Describe the approach to Tukucha.
6. Where did Herzog establish Camp III?
7. Describe the tests that Dr. Oudot performed on the men at the beginning of the expedition.
8. What was the context within which Herzog and his team made their attempt on Dhaulagiri and Annapurna?
9. Describe the initial discoveries made by Herzog, Terray, and Lachenal as they searched for routes to the summit of Annapurna.
10. Name the team members on Herzog's team.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the standard of risk that the climbers established with their decisions? What risks did Herzog and his team members take? Which risks did they consider to be too dangerous?
Essay Topic 2
What type of medical challenges did the climbers encounter during the expedition?
Essay Topic 3
Can you describe Herzog's authority and his leadership style based on his decisions and his descriptions of same in the book?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)