|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Sherpas feel about following the route that Herzog had blazed?
2. Where were all the supplies when Herzog and his team set up camp within view of Annapurna?
3. Which of the following was Herzog determined not to do as he left Base Camp for Camp I?
4. What did Herzog and his team do during their first days in Tukucha?
5. Where and when does 'Annapurna' begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the context within which Herzog and his team made their attempt on Dhaulagiri and Annapurna?
2. Describe Herzog and his team's visit from the Buddhist Lama.
3. Describe Herzog and his team's efforts to find the Tilicho Pass.
4. Describe the team's first attempts to reconnoiter Dhaulagiri.
5. What happened at the May 14 meeting?
6. Name the team members on Herzog's team.
7. Describe Herzog's ordeal traveling back to the camp at the Tilicho Pass from Manangbhot.
8. Describe Herzog and his team's progress en route to Camp II.
9. Where did Herzog establish Camp III?
10. Describe the time line the expedition was operating on.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where was the expedition to Annapurna in the history of mountaineering? What was the accomplishment attained by Herzog and his team? What was the team's legacy?
Essay Topic 2
What was the standard of risk that the climbers established with their decisions? What risks did Herzog and his team members take? Which risks did they consider to be too dangerous?
Essay Topic 3
Can you describe the significance of Herzog's invitation to Ang-Tharkay to summit with him and Lachenal? What different constituencies would interpret that gesture, and how would they be apt to view it?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)