|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Terray worried about when he greeted Herzog at Camp II?
(a) The rations.
(b) The condition of climbers at Camp III.
(c) The weather.
(d) The poor state of their supplies.
2. What did Herzog reply when Lachenal asked him what he would do if he (Lachenal) were to turn back?
(a) He replied that he would stay at Camp V until he (Lachenal) would return.
(b) He replied that he would continue the expedition alone.
(c) He would turn back as well.
(d) He replied that he would make it Camp VI.
3. What did Herzog say in response to Terray's offer?
(a) That Terray should talk with the Sherpas at Camp III.
(b) That Terray should move up to Camp IV.
(c) That Terray should take gear to Camp III, and then return to Camp II.
(d) That Terray should stay at Camp III until morale improved.
4. What did Herzog receive from a figure in his vision?
(b) A wool cap.
(c) A climbing rope.
(d) An ice axe.
5. How did Herzog depart from his style in describing the descent?
(a) He used stream of consciousness.
(b) He flashed back to his first mountaineering trip.
(c) He described part of it from Ichac's journal.
(d) He described the account that was printed in the newspapers afterward.
Short Answer Questions
1. What terrified Herzog on his way out?
2. What state was Camp IV in when Rebuffat and Terray reached it?
3. How did Terray and Rebuffat help Herzog and Lachenal?
4. What did Herzog learn about the weather?
5. How long did Herzog have before the weather would set in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the splitting up of the climbing team in Gorakhpur.
2. What did Dr. Oudot threaten Herzog with on their descent?
3. What news did Herzog receive at Camp II?
4. How did Dr. Oudot treat Herzog's frostbite?
5. Describe Herzog's descent from the Woods of Lete.
6. How did Herzog describe Camp II on his descent?
7. Describe the amputation of Herzog's fingers and toes.
8. Describe Herzog's feelings while he was descending the mountain.
9. Why were Terray and Rebuffat descending to Camp II when Herzog and Lachenal met them?
10. What aspect of the conditions was Herzog worried about during his descent?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)