|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Herzog confide to Terray after digging out in the morning?
(a) That he would probably die.
(b) That summitting was far too risky.
(c) That he (Terray) should be in charge if Herzog were to die.
(d) That he wished that he had never climbed.
2. What had Herzog lost sight of upon returning to camp?
(a) The approaching simoom.
(b) The damage that he had done to his hands and feet.
(c) The approaching monsoon.
(d) The poor state of morale among the other climbers.
3. What threatened Herzog's fingers and toes?
(a) The rigors of getting him out of the valley.
4. How did Terray and Rebuffat help Herzog and Lachenal?
(a) By making shelters for them.
(b) By carrying them down the mountain.
(c) By rubbing their hands and feet.
(d) By making food for them.
5. How did Herzog depart from his style in describing the descent?
(a) He used stream of consciousness.
(b) He described the account that was printed in the newspapers afterward.
(c) He flashed back to his first mountaineering trip.
(d) He described part of it from Ichac's journal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Herzog reply when Lachenal asked him what he would do if he (Lachenal) were to turn back?
2. What were the climbers covered by in the morning?
3. What was the weather like as Herzog and Lachenal were making their way down?
4. What did Dr. Oudot insist that Herzog do as they descended?
5. Where did Herzog and Lachenal spend the night after summitting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Herzog's condition upon his return to Camp II.
2. Why was Herzog angry with Schatz, and what news did Schatz take to Camp II?
3. Describe Lachenal and Herzog's arrival at Camp IV.
4. How did Herzog change Camp IV when he reached it?
5. How did Herzog describe Camp II on his descent?
6. Describe the splitting up of the climbing team in Gorakhpur.
7. How did Dr. Oudot treat Herzog's frostbite?
8. Describe Herzog's feelings while he was descending the mountain.
9. What news did Herzog receive at Camp II?
10. Describe the fall that Herzog took on his descent.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)