|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far away from camp did Herzog collapse?
(a) 20 yards.
(b) 200 yards.
(c) Four miles.
(d) Two miles.
2. What did Herzog decide based on the information that Lachenal and Terray provided?
(a) To keep exploring.
(b) To climb up the spur and make camp.
(c) To launch a summit bid.
(d) To return for supplies.
3. What was the author's role in the expedition?
(a) To assemble the team.
(b) To lead the club.
(c) To arrange logistics.
(d) To arrange the visas.
4. Who offered to lead Herzog and his team to the Tilicho Pass?
(a) A guide.
(b) A shepherd.
(c) A girl.
(d) A lama.
5. Which of the climbers suffered a fall on the retreat above Camp II?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Herzog blaze a trail from Camp III?
2. Which of the following blocked the ridge to the peak of Dhaulagiri?
3. Which of the following best describes the state that Couzy, Lachenal, Rebuffat and the others were in when Herzog found them at Camp III after having established Camp IV?
4. Which of the following roles did the expedition not arrange to fill with a specialist?
5. Who served as doctor during the expedition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What various types of danger did Herzog and his team encounter above Camp II?
2. What was the context within which Herzog and his team made their attempt on Dhaulagiri and Annapurna?
3. Describe Herzog and his team's efforts to find the Tilicho Pass.
4. What strategy did Herzog decide to follow in climbing Annapurna?
5. Describe the Herzog team's first attempts to scout Annapurna.
6. Describe the time line the expedition was operating on.
7. Describe Herzog's ordeal traveling back to the camp at the Tilicho Pass from Manangbhot.
8. Where did Herzog establish Camp III?
9. Describe the first day of the exploratory expedition up the spur that was identified by Terray and Lachenal.
10. Describe the efforts to find an ascent route up the plateau route to Annapurna.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)