|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements best reflects Herzog's thoughts on May 20 in relation to pressing on?
(a) He wanted to go back.
(b) He wanted to wait to see how the weather changed.
(c) He wanted to wait for Lachenal and Schatz.
(d) He wanted to press on.
2. How were the team members selected?
(a) Based on experience and ability to function.
(b) Based on level of ambition and talent.
(c) Based on financial capability.
(d) Based on diversity.
3. How many expeditions had tried and failed to ascend higher than 8,000 meters before Herzog's expedition?
4. What type of work did people in Tukucha primarily do?
(a) Spin and weave goat hair.
(b) Smuggle opium.
(c) Guide mountain climbers.
(d) Herd cattle.
5. What dangers did Herzog and his team encounter during their ascent?
(b) Lack of supplies.
(c) Extreme cold conditions.
Short Answer Questions
1. How high had Herzog ascended when he cached equipment?
2. Which of the following was positioned south of Herzog's exploratory expedition route?
3. What did Herzog pack for sustenance on his way back to the camp at Tilicho Pass?
4. How long was the trek into Tukucha, Nepal?
5. How did Herzog and Rebuffat set out to join their team?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would the expedition to Annapurna entail?
2. Describe Herzog and his team's progress en route to Camp II.
3. What various types of danger did Herzog and his team encounter above Camp II?
4. Describe Herzog and his team's visit from the Buddhist Lama.
5. Describe the initial discoveries made by Herzog, Terray, and Lachenal as they searched for routes to the summit of Annapurna.
6. Describe the time line the expedition was operating on.
7. Name the team members on Herzog's team.
8. Describe the first day of the exploratory expedition up the spur that was identified by Terray and Lachenal.
9. What did Herzog and his team celebrate on May 24?
10. Describe the efforts to find an ascent route up the plateau route to Annapurna.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)