|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Herzog feel about Lachenal and Rebuffat's plan?
(a) He was optimistic.
(b) He was apprehensive.
(c) He was depressed about the last option.
(d) He was waiting to hear from them before drawing any conclusion.
2. How high had Herzog ascended when he cached equipment?
(a) 20,000 feet.
(b) 24,000 feet.
(c) 27,000 feet.
(d) 22,000 feet.
3. Which of the following best describes the state that Couzy, Lachenal, Rebuffat and the others were in when Herzog found them at Camp III after having established Camp IV?
4. Which of the following did Herzog have to cross in order to get supplies at Manangbhot?
(a) A pass.
(b) A river.
(c) A frozen lake.
(d) A crevasse field.
5. Which of the following did Herzog find at Base Camp?
(a) That the supplies had all arrived there.
(b) That there was not any food.
(c) That the weather was setting in.
(d) That the gear was still missing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many expeditions had tried and failed to ascend higher than 8,000 meters before Herzog's expedition?
2. What did Herzog do when he returned to camp?
3. What factors hindered Herzog during his ascent?
4. In what way did Herzog demonstrate his leadership and prowess?
5. Who had the final decision about which mountain to climb?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the second day of the exploratory expedition up the spur.
2. Describe the approach to Tukucha.
3. Describe Herzog's ordeal traveling back to the camp at the Tilicho Pass from Manangbhot.
4. What strategy did Herzog decide to follow in climbing Annapurna?
5. Describe the first day of the exploratory expedition up the spur that was identified by Terray and Lachenal.
6. Describe Herzog and his team's visit from the Buddhist Lama.
7. What would the expedition to Annapurna entail?
8. What happened at the May 14 meeting?
9. Where did Herzog establish Camp III?
10. Describe Herzog and his team's progress en route to Camp II.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)