|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where and when does 'Annapurna' begin?
(a) Chamonix, 1950.
(b) Katmandu, 1952.
(c) Annapurna, 1951.
(d) Paris, 1950.
2. Which of the following statements best reflects Herzog's thoughts on May 20 in relation to pressing on?
(a) He wanted to press on.
(b) He wanted to wait to see how the weather changed.
(c) He wanted to wait for Lachenal and Schatz.
(d) He wanted to go back.
3. Who took equipment to Camp II with the Sherpas when Herzog and his team arrived from Base Camp?
4. How high had Herzog ascended when he cached equipment?
(a) 22,000 feet.
(b) 20,000 feet.
(c) 27,000 feet.
(d) 24,000 feet.
5. What did Herzog and his team find in Manangbhot?
(a) News of the Tilicho Pass.
(b) Directions to Annapurna.
(c) News from France.
(d) No supplies, and no news of Annapurna.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Lachenal and Rebuffat look for after Herzog returned from the spur?
2. What did Herzog ask Lachenal and Terray to do?
3. Which of the following blocked the ridge to the peak of Dhaulagiri?
4. Which of the following did Dr. Oudot test on the climbers?
5. How did the Sherpas feel about following the route that Herzog had blazed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What order did Herzog issue on May 23?
2. What strategy did Herzog decide to follow in climbing Annapurna?
3. Name the team members on Herzog's team.
4. Describe the initial discoveries made by Herzog, Terray, and Lachenal as they searched for routes to the summit of Annapurna.
5. Describe Herzog's ordeal traveling back to the camp at the Tilicho Pass from Manangbhot.
6. Describe the Herzog team's first attempts to scout Annapurna.
7. What various types of danger did Herzog and his team encounter above Camp II?
8. What did Herzog and his team celebrate on May 24?
9. What trail did Herzog establish the day after setting up Camp III?
10. What did Herzog find when he returned to Camp III after establishing Camp IV?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)