|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How high had Herzog ascended when he cached equipment?
(a) 24,000 feet.
(b) 27,000 feet.
(c) 22,000 feet.
(d) 20,000 feet.
2. Which of the following did Herzog find at Base Camp?
(a) That the supplies had all arrived there.
(b) That there was not any food.
(c) That the weather was setting in.
(d) That the gear was still missing.
3. What were Herzog, Rebuffat, Terray and Schatz looking for when they set out on May 19?
(a) A site for a camp.
(c) A village with Sherpas.
(d) A route to the Tilicho Pass.
4. What factors hindered Herzog during his ascent?
(a) Trouble with Sherpas.
(b) Dissension among the climbers.
(c) Gear failures.
(d) The altitude.
5. Who took equipment to Camp II with the Sherpas when Herzog and his team arrived from Base Camp?
6. How did Herzog justify the position that he had taken during the May 14 conversation?
(a) He wanted to establish a consensus.
(b) He wanted to test his climbers' loyalty.
(c) He wanted to see if anyone would disobey him.
(d) He wanted to lead the team to his decision on their own.
7. Where did Herzog and Rebuffat camp on May 19?
(a) On a ledge that they had made.
(b) By the river.
(c) At an advance campsite that they had set up.
(d) In the snow.
8. Where were all the supplies when Herzog and his team set up camp within view of Annapurna?
(a) In Manangbhot.
(b) In Tilicho.
(c) In Tinigaon.
(d) In Tukucha.
9. How many team members were involved in planning the expedition?
10. To which of the following did Herzog compare the ascent?
(a) A military campaign.
(b) A poem.
(c) A race.
(d) A river.
11. Who stayed with Herzog on May 20?
12. How did Herzog respond to the May 14 consensus?
(a) He defended the decision to abandon Dhaulagiri.
(b) He argued against returning home.
(c) He argued against continued exploration.
(d) He defended the idea of climbing Dhaulagiri.
13. How high was Camp IV?
(a) 23,500 feet.
(b) 22,000 feet.
(c) 25,000 feet.
(d) 27,000 feet.
14. What did Herzog and his team do during their first days in Tukucha?
(b) Set up camp.
(c) Reconnoiter the mountain.
(d) Arrange passports.
15. What news did the climbers from Dhaulagiri announce?
(a) That they had found a way.
(b) That one of the members had nearly frozen.
(c) That there was a wide river to cross.
(d) That there was an impassable crevasse field.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the state that Couzy, Lachenal, Rebuffat and the others were in when Herzog found them at Camp III after having established Camp IV?
2. Where did Herzog blaze a trail from Camp III?
3. Which of the following was Herzog determined not to do as he left Base Camp for Camp I?
4. What news did the Sherpa relay toHerzog as he was climbing along the Great Barrier?
5. Which of the following best describes the Miristi Khola?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)