|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following areas served as a retreat for Herzog and his team?
(a) Camp I.
(c) Camp III.
(d) Camp II.
2. What factors hindered Herzog during his ascent?
(a) Trouble with Sherpas.
(b) The altitude.
(c) Gear failures.
(d) Dissension among the climbers.
3. Who offered to lead Herzog and his team to the Tilicho Pass?
(a) A shepherd.
(b) A lama.
(c) A girl.
(d) A guide.
4. Why did Herzog and his team celebrate with a party on May 24?
(a) They were celebrating Herzog's birthday.
(b) They were celebrating having discovered a promising route.
(c) They were celebrating the progress that they had made.
(d) They were celebrating a French holiday.
5. Which of the following roles did the expedition not arrange to fill with a specialist?
6. Which of the following did Herzog find at Base Camp?
(a) That the gear was still missing.
(b) That the weather was setting in.
(c) That there was not any food.
(d) That the supplies had all arrived there.
7. Which of the following best describes the hidden valley?
(a) A dangerous area that the team had to cross.
(b) A valley left off the map.
(c) A valley that had looked like a lake on the maps.
(d) A valley inhabited by stone-age people.
8. What did Herzog decide based on the information that Lachenal and Terray provided?
(a) To keep exploring.
(b) To return for supplies.
(c) To climb up the spur and make camp.
(d) To launch a summit bid.
9. Which of the following was positioned south of Herzog's exploratory expedition route?
(a) The Tilicho Pass.
(d) The Great Barrier.
10. How were the team members selected?
(a) Based on financial capability.
(b) Based on diversity.
(c) Based on level of ambition and talent.
(d) Based on experience and ability to function.
11. What did Herzog do to save time?
(a) Returned to Manangbhot for supplies.
(b) Divided the climbers into teams.
(c) Sent Sherpas to Tukucha for their gear.
(d) Establish Camp II.
12. What prospect did Herzog explore when he broke the men into exploring teams?
(a) The north ridge of Dhaulagiri.
(b) The north face of Annapurna.
(c) The east ridge of Dhaulagiri.
(d) The Dhaulagiri Glacier.
13. Which of the following passes afforded Herzog and his team access to Annapurna?
(a) The Tilicho Pass.
(b) The Tukucha Pass.
(c) The Angawa Pass.
(d) The Annapurna Pass.
14. What did Herzog and his team meet to decide on May 14?
(a) How to climb Dhaulagiri.
(b) Whether to abandon the trip.
(c) Where to get supplies.
(d) Which route to take.
15. Which of the following statements best reflects Rebuffat's thoughts on May 20 in relation to pressing on?
(a) He wanted to wait for Lachenal and Schatz.
(b) He wanted to go back.
(c) He wanted to press on.
(d) He wanted to wait to see how the weather had changed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How high was Camp IV?
2. Where did Herzog establish Camp III?
3. How did Herzog feel about his team's chances of being able to summit?
4. Whom did Herzog send to look for the Tilicho Pass?
5. What did Herzog pack for sustenance on his way back to the camp at Tilicho Pass?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)