|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which of the following did Herzog compare the ascent?
(a) A poem.
(b) A river.
(c) A race.
(d) A military campaign.
2. What did Herzog and his team meet to decide on May 14?
(a) Whether to abandon the trip.
(b) Which route to take.
(c) Where to get supplies.
(d) How to climb Dhaulagiri.
3. What were Herzog and his team prevented from doing because of the weather?
(a) Getting word of their progress back to France.
(b) Establishing Camp II.
(c) Establishing Camp III.
(d) Returning to Manangbhot for gear.
4. What news did the climbers from Dhaulagiri announce?
(a) That one of the members had nearly frozen.
(b) That there was an impassable crevasse field.
(c) That they had found a way.
(d) That there was a wide river to cross.
5. Which of the following statements best reflects Rebuffat's thoughts on May 20 in relation to pressing on?
(a) He wanted to go back.
(b) He wanted to wait for Lachenal and Schatz.
(c) He wanted to press on.
(d) He wanted to wait to see how the weather had changed.
6. What did Herzog and his team find in Manangbhot?
(a) News of the Tilicho Pass.
(b) No supplies, and no news of Annapurna.
(c) Directions to Annapurna.
(d) News from France.
7. What did Herzog decide based on the information that Lachenal and Terray provided?
(a) To return for supplies.
(b) To launch a summit bid.
(c) To climb up the spur and make camp.
(d) To keep exploring.
8. In addition to the party, how did Herzog and his team mark their celebration?
(a) By sleeping late the next day.
(b) By taking a day for reading and writing letters.
(c) By drinking and dancing with the Sherpas.
(d) By eating their reserve rations.
9. What type of work did people in Tukucha primarily do?
(a) Smuggle opium.
(b) Herd cattle.
(c) Guide mountain climbers.
(d) Spin and weave goat hair.
10. What was the weather like when Herzog, Rebuffat, Terray and Schatz set out up the spur?
11. Which of the following statements best reflects Herzog's thoughts on May 20 in relation to pressing on?
(a) He wanted to wait for Lachenal and Schatz.
(b) He wanted to go back.
(c) He wanted to press on.
(d) He wanted to wait to see how the weather changed.
12. What did Herzog do when he returned to camp?
(a) Ate and slept.
(b) Explored the route to Annapurna.
(c) Returned to Manangbhot.
(d) Talked with the other climbers.
13. Which of the following did Herzog and his team get for the first time on May 23?
(b) A view of Annapurna.
(c) Letters from home.
(d) News about the Tilicho Pass.
14. What did Herzog's Nepalese guide tell him about the Tilicho Pass?
(a) That it was nearby.
(b) That it was impassable.
(c) That he did not know anything about it.
(d) That it was off limits.
15. What did Herzog do to save time?
(a) Establish Camp II.
(b) Sent Sherpas to Tukucha for their gear.
(c) Returned to Manangbhot for supplies.
(d) Divided the climbers into teams.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many team members were involved in planning the expedition?
2. Whom do Herzog and his team find at the end of their retreat?
3. Which of the following did Herzog do after Lachenal and Terry set out?
4. How high was Camp IV?
5. Where were all the supplies when Herzog and his team set up camp within view of Annapurna?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)