|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who took equipment to Camp II with the Sherpas when Herzog and his team arrived from Base Camp?
2. How did Herzog feel about his team's chances of being able to summit?
3. What was the basis for Dawatondu's complaint when he and Herzog arrived at Camp III?
(a) Lack of food.
(b) Lack of pay.
(c) Extremely cold temperature.
(d) Abdominal pains.
4. Who served as doctor during the expedition?
(a) Jacques Oudot.
(b) Louis Lachenal.
(c) Marcel Schatz.
(d) Jean Couzy.
5. What was the weather like when Herzog, Rebuffat, Terray and Schatz set out up the spur?
6. Which of the following statements best reflects Rebuffat's thoughts on May 20 in relation to pressing on?
(a) He wanted to go back.
(b) He wanted to wait to see how the weather had changed.
(c) He wanted to press on.
(d) He wanted to wait for Lachenal and Schatz.
7. What was the consensus of the May 14 meeting?
(a) To return home.
(b) To abandon Dhaulagiri.
(c) To keep exploring.
(d) To climb Dhaulagiri.
8. What were Herzog and his team prevented from doing because of the weather?
(a) Establishing Camp II.
(b) Establishing Camp III.
(c) Getting word of their progress back to France.
(d) Returning to Manangbhot for gear.
9. What did Herzog ask Lachenal and Terray to do?
(a) To obtain supplies.
(b) To write to France with updates.
(c) To set up an advance camp.
(d) To take letters to Tukucha.
10. What did some team members do while Herzog explored an approach to Annapurna?
(a) Buy supplies.
(b) Negotiate with porters.
(c) Look for a route up Dhaulagiri.
11. What type of work did people in Tukucha primarily do?
(a) Herd cattle.
(b) Smuggle opium.
(c) Guide mountain climbers.
(d) Spin and weave goat hair.
12. What did Herzog and his team find when they reached the Pass?
(a) A crevasse field.
(b) A lake, and another pass.
(c) A serac.
(d) A col.
13. Which of the following was decided at the May 14 meeting?
(a) To climb Dhaulagiri.
(b) To climb Annapurna.
(c) To get more supplies.
(d) To keep exploring.
14. To which of the following did Herzog compare the ascent?
(a) A military campaign.
(b) A river.
(c) A race.
(d) A poem.
15. What did Herzog pack for sustenance on his way back to the camp at Tilicho Pass?
Short Answer Questions
1. What news did the climbers from Dhaulagiri announce?
2. How did the altitude affect Herzog?
3. In what way did Herzog demonstrate his leadership and prowess?
4. What did Herzog's Nepalese guide tell him about the Tilicho Pass?
5. Which of the following areas served as a retreat for Herzog and his team?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)