|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How high had Herzog ascended when he cached equipment?
(a) 22,000 feet.
(b) 24,000 feet.
(c) 27,000 feet.
(d) 20,000 feet.
2. Which of the following areas served as a retreat for Herzog and his team?
(a) Camp I.
(b) Camp III.
(d) Camp II.
3. What did Herzog and his team find when they reached the Pass?
(a) A col.
(b) A lake, and another pass.
(c) A crevasse field.
(d) A serac.
4. Which of the following statements best reflects Rebuffat's thoughts on May 20 in relation to pressing on?
(a) He wanted to press on.
(b) He wanted to wait for Lachenal and Schatz.
(c) He wanted to go back.
(d) He wanted to wait to see how the weather had changed.
5. What prospect did Herzog explore when he broke the men into exploring teams?
(a) The Dhaulagiri Glacier.
(b) The north face of Annapurna.
(c) The north ridge of Dhaulagiri.
(d) The east ridge of Dhaulagiri.
6. Which of the following statements best reflects Herzog's thoughts on May 20 in relation to pressing on?
(a) He wanted to go back.
(b) He wanted to wait to see how the weather changed.
(c) He wanted to press on.
(d) He wanted to wait for Lachenal and Schatz.
7. Which of the following blocked the ridge to the peak of Dhaulagiri?
8. What did Herzog pack for sustenance on his way back to the camp at Tilicho Pass?
9. How did the Sherpas feel about following the route that Herzog had blazed?
10. Whom do Herzog and his team find at the end of their retreat?
11. Where and when does 'Annapurna' begin?
(a) Katmandu, 1952.
(b) Paris, 1950.
(c) Chamonix, 1950.
(d) Annapurna, 1951.
12. How did Herzog feel about his team's chances of being able to summit?
13. Who offered to lead Herzog and his team to the Tilicho Pass?
(a) A girl.
(b) A lama.
(c) A shepherd.
(d) A guide.
14. Where do Terray and Schatz camp on May 19?
(a) On a ledge that they had made.
(b) In the snow.
(c) In an advance camp that they had set up.
(d) At the campsite.
15. What did Herzog do to save time?
(a) Divided the climbers into teams.
(b) Returned to Manangbhot for supplies.
(c) Establish Camp II.
(d) Sent Sherpas to Tukucha for their gear.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Herzog have to cross in order to get supplies at Manangbhot?
2. Which of the following did Lachenal and Rebuffat look for after Herzog returned from the spur?
3. Which of the following was decided at the May 14 meeting?
4. What factors hindered Herzog during his ascent?
5. Which of the following did Herzog do after Lachenal and Terry set out?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)