|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Herzog and his team find in Manangbhot?
(a) News from France.
(b) No supplies, and no news of Annapurna.
(c) News of the Tilicho Pass.
(d) Directions to Annapurna.
2. How long was the trek into Tukucha, Nepal?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Four days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One day.
3. What did Herzog and his team find when they reached the Pass?
(a) A crevasse field.
(b) A serac.
(c) A col.
(d) A lake, and another pass.
4. Who visited the climbers' camp?
(a) A woman.
(b) A lama.
(c) A runaway child.
(d) A general.
5. Where did Herzog and Rebuffat camp on May 19?
(a) In the snow.
(b) By the river.
(c) On a ledge that they had made.
(d) At an advance campsite that they had set up.
6. What news did the climbers from Dhaulagiri announce?
(a) That there was an impassable crevasse field.
(b) That there was a wide river to cross.
(c) That they had found a way.
(d) That one of the members had nearly frozen.
7. What was the weather like when Herzog, Rebuffat, Terray and Schatz set out up the spur?
8. How did the altitude affect Herzog?
(a) He was sleepy all the time.
(b) He was not affected.
(c) He began to experience headaches.
(d) He was nauseous and dizzy.
9. What did Herzog pack for sustenance on his way back to the camp at Tilicho Pass?
10. How did Herzog feel about Lachenal and Rebuffat's plan?
(a) He was waiting to hear from them before drawing any conclusion.
(b) He was depressed about the last option.
(c) He was optimistic.
(d) He was apprehensive.
11. What prospect did Herzog explore when he broke the men into exploring teams?
(a) The north face of Annapurna.
(b) The Dhaulagiri Glacier.
(c) The north ridge of Dhaulagiri.
(d) The east ridge of Dhaulagiri.
12. Who offered to lead Herzog and his team to the Tilicho Pass?
(a) A guide.
(b) A lama.
(c) A shepherd.
(d) A girl.
13. Where do Terray and Schatz camp on May 19?
(a) In an advance camp that they had set up.
(b) In the snow.
(c) At the campsite.
(d) On a ledge that they had made.
14. Where did Herzog establish Camp III?
(a) On a ledge.
(b) On a plateau.
(c) In a crevasse.
(d) On a barren area.
15. What were Herzog, Rebuffat, Terray and Schatz looking for when they set out on May 19?
(a) A route to the Tilicho Pass.
(b) A site for a camp.
(c) A village with Sherpas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following roles did the expedition not arrange to fill with a specialist?
2. Which of the following blocked the ridge to the peak of Dhaulagiri?
3. Where were all the supplies when Herzog and his team set up camp within view of Annapurna?
4. How many team members were involved in planning the expedition?
5. How did Herzog justify the position that he had taken during the May 14 conversation?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)