|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Terray and Schatz camp on May 19?
(a) In an advance camp that they had set up.
(b) In the snow.
(c) At the campsite.
(d) On a ledge that they had made.
2. How did Herzog feel about Lachenal and Rebuffat's plan?
(a) He was apprehensive.
(b) He was depressed about the last option.
(c) He was waiting to hear from them before drawing any conclusion.
(d) He was optimistic.
3. How did the altitude affect Herzog?
(a) He was sleepy all the time.
(b) He was nauseous and dizzy.
(c) He began to experience headaches.
(d) He was not affected.
4. What were conditions like when Herzog continued up the spur on May 21?
(a) Iced like glass.
(b) Iced like cauliflower.
(c) Iced like rabbit fur.
(d) Iced like stone.
5. How high had Herzog ascended when he cached equipment?
(a) 20,000 feet.
(b) 24,000 feet.
(c) 27,000 feet.
(d) 22,000 feet.
6. What did Herzog and his team meet to decide on May 14?
(a) Which route to take.
(b) Whether to abandon the trip.
(c) How to climb Dhaulagiri.
(d) Where to get supplies.
7. How did Herzog respond to the May 14 consensus?
(a) He defended the idea of climbing Dhaulagiri.
(b) He argued against returning home.
(c) He argued against continued exploration.
(d) He defended the decision to abandon Dhaulagiri.
8. How many team members were involved in planning the expedition?
9. What did some team members do while Herzog explored an approach to Annapurna?
(a) Negotiate with porters.
(c) Buy supplies.
(d) Look for a route up Dhaulagiri.
10. Which of the following did Lachenal and Rebuffat look for after Herzog returned from the spur?
(a) A route to a plateau.
(b) A route through the Great Barrier.
(c) An escape route.
(d) A route around the spur.
11. What dangers did Herzog and his team encounter during their ascent?
(a) Lack of supplies.
(b) Extreme cold conditions.
12. Who took equipment to Camp II with the Sherpas when Herzog and his team arrived from Base Camp?
13. Who offered to lead Herzog and his team to the Tilicho Pass?
(a) A guide.
(b) A shepherd.
(c) A lama.
(d) A girl.
14. What were Herzog and his team prevented from doing because of the weather?
(a) Getting word of their progress back to France.
(b) Establishing Camp III.
(c) Returning to Manangbhot for gear.
(d) Establishing Camp II.
15. Which of the following did Herzog find at Base Camp?
(a) That the supplies had all arrived there.
(b) That the weather was setting in.
(c) That there was not any food.
(d) That the gear was still missing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Herzog have to cross in order to get supplies at Manangbhot?
2. Which of the following best describes the Miristi Khola?
3. What did Herzog pack for sustenance on his way back to the camp at Tilicho Pass?
4. Which of the following actions did the climbers commit themselves to do via oath?
5. What prospect did Herzog explore when he broke the men into exploring teams?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)