|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did some team members do while Herzog explored an approach to Annapurna?
(b) Buy supplies.
(c) Look for a route up Dhaulagiri.
(d) Negotiate with porters.
2. Which of the following passes afforded Herzog and his team access to Annapurna?
(a) The Annapurna Pass.
(b) The Angawa Pass.
(c) The Tilicho Pass.
(d) The Tukucha Pass.
3. How did Herzog feel about his team's chances of being able to summit?
4. How many team members were involved in planning the expedition?
5. Where and when does 'Annapurna' begin?
(a) Chamonix, 1950.
(b) Annapurna, 1951.
(c) Katmandu, 1952.
(d) Paris, 1950.
6. How did the Sherpas feel about following the route that Herzog had blazed?
7. In what way did Herzog demonstrate his leadership and prowess?
(a) By bribing the officials who wanted to stop the ascent.
(b) By negotiating with the discontented Sherpas.
(c) By descending into a crevasse for lost gear.
(d) By leading up overhanging ice.
8. How high was Camp IV?
(a) 27,000 feet.
(b) 22,000 feet.
(c) 23,500 feet.
(d) 25,000 feet.
9. What did Herzog ask Lachenal and Terray to do?
(a) To obtain supplies.
(b) To set up an advance camp.
(c) To write to France with updates.
(d) To take letters to Tukucha.
10. Whom do Herzog and his team find at the end of their retreat?
11. Which of the climbers suffered a fall on the retreat above Camp II?
12. How did the altitude affect Herzog?
(a) He was sleepy all the time.
(b) He began to experience headaches.
(c) He was not affected.
(d) He was nauseous and dizzy.
13. When did Herzog decide on Annapurna instead of Dhaulagiri?
(a) When his visitor told him that Dhaulagiri was extremely dangerous.
(b) When he found the Tilicho Pass.
(c) When the reconnaissance team told him about the difficulties at Dhaulagiri.
(d) When climbers descending from Dhaulagiri told him how dangerous it was.
14. What did Herzog and his team do during their first days in Tukucha?
(a) Arrange passports.
(b) Reconnoiter the mountain.
(d) Set up camp.
15. Who stayed with Herzog on May 20?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Herzog do after Lachenal and Terry set out?
2. Which of the following did Dr. Oudot test on the climbers?
3. Which of the following did Herzog and his team get for the first time on May 23?
4. Where were all the supplies when Herzog and his team set up camp within view of Annapurna?
5. Which of the following roles did the expedition not arrange to fill with a specialist?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)