|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What factors hindered Herzog during his ascent?
(a) Trouble with Sherpas.
(b) The altitude.
(c) Dissension among the climbers.
(d) Gear failures.
2. What did some team members do while Herzog explored an approach to Annapurna?
(a) Buy supplies.
(c) Negotiate with porters.
(d) Look for a route up Dhaulagiri.
3. How many expeditions had tried and failed to ascend higher than 8,000 meters before Herzog's expedition?
4. How many team members were involved in planning the expedition?
5. Which of the following did Dr. Oudot test on the climbers?
(b) Their tolerance for different drugs.
(c) Lung capacity.
6. How did Herzog feel about his team's chances of being able to summit?
7. What did Herzog and his team find in Manangbhot?
(a) News of the Tilicho Pass.
(b) No supplies, and no news of Annapurna.
(c) Directions to Annapurna.
(d) News from France.
8. How did Herzog and Rebuffat set out to join their team?
(a) On foot.
(b) On skis.
(c) By horse.
(d) By dog sled.
9. Which of the following best describes the state that Couzy, Lachenal, Rebuffat and the others were in when Herzog found them at Camp III after having established Camp IV?
10. What did Herzog decide based on the information that Lachenal and Terray provided?
(a) To climb up the spur and make camp.
(b) To return for supplies.
(c) To keep exploring.
(d) To launch a summit bid.
11. Where did Herzog establish Camp III?
(a) On a barren area.
(b) On a plateau.
(c) In a crevasse.
(d) On a ledge.
12. What did Herzog and his team find when they reached the Pass?
(a) A lake, and another pass.
(b) A crevasse field.
(c) A col.
(d) A serac.
13. What did Herzog pack for sustenance on his way back to the camp at Tilicho Pass?
14. Which of the following best describes the Miristi Khola?
(a) A mountain pass.
(b) A town.
(c) A mountain.
(d) A river.
15. What did Terray and Lachenal tell Herzog?
(a) That they could not find a way to get across a river.
(b) That they had found a possible route to Annapurna.
(c) That they had encountered several dead ends.
(d) That they needed supplies before continuing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Herzog and his team meet to decide on May 14?
2. What did Herzog and his team do during their first days in Tukucha?
3. Where do Terray and Schatz camp on May 19?
4. Which of the following blocked the ridge to the peak of Dhaulagiri?
5. Whom do Herzog and his team find at the end of their retreat?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)