|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Herzog and his team meet to decide on May 14?
(a) How to climb Dhaulagiri.
(b) Which route to take.
(c) Where to get supplies.
(d) Whether to abandon the trip.
2. Which of the following blocked the ridge to the peak of Dhaulagiri?
3. How many expeditions had tried and failed to ascend higher than 8,000 meters before Herzog's expedition?
4. What was the weather like when Herzog, Rebuffat, Terray and Schatz set out up the spur?
5. Which of the following approaches to Annapurna did Herzog explore himself?
(b) The Tilicho Pass.
(d) The East Glacier.
6. Which of the following did Lachenal and Rebuffat look for after Herzog returned from the spur?
(a) A route to a plateau.
(b) An escape route.
(c) A route around the spur.
(d) A route through the Great Barrier.
7. Which of the following statements best reflects Herzog's thoughts on May 20 in relation to pressing on?
(a) He wanted to go back.
(b) He wanted to wait for Lachenal and Schatz.
(c) He wanted to wait to see how the weather changed.
(d) He wanted to press on.
8. What type of work did people in Tukucha primarily do?
(a) Smuggle opium.
(b) Herd cattle.
(c) Spin and weave goat hair.
(d) Guide mountain climbers.
9. How did Herzog feel about his team's chances of being able to summit?
10. How high had Herzog ascended when he cached equipment?
(a) 27,000 feet.
(b) 20,000 feet.
(c) 24,000 feet.
(d) 22,000 feet.
11. Who was in favor of continuing on, after Herzog, Rebuffat, Terray and Schatz reached a wide ledge on May 20?
12. Where did Herzog and Rebuffat camp on May 19?
(a) On a ledge that they had made.
(b) In the snow.
(c) At an advance campsite that they had set up.
(d) By the river.
13. What did Herzog pack for sustenance on his way back to the camp at Tilicho Pass?
14. What was the consensus of the May 14 meeting?
(a) To keep exploring.
(b) To return home.
(c) To abandon Dhaulagiri.
(d) To climb Dhaulagiri.
15. How did Herzog and Rebuffat set out to join their team?
(a) On skis.
(b) By horse.
(c) By dog sled.
(d) On foot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Herzog blaze a trail from Camp III?
2. Which of the following did Herzog have to cross in order to get supplies at Manangbhot?
3. Which of the following best describes the state that Couzy, Lachenal, Rebuffat and the others were in when Herzog found them at Camp III after having established Camp IV?
4. What was the author's role in the expedition?
5. Which of the following statements best reflects Rebuffat's thoughts on May 20 in relation to pressing on?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)