|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom do Herzog and his team find at the end of their retreat?
2. What region were the climbers thinking about climbing?
(a) The Adirondacks.
(b) The Rockies.
(c) The Himalayas.
(d) The Pyrenees.
3. How did the altitude affect Herzog?
(a) He was nauseous and dizzy.
(b) He was sleepy all the time.
(c) He began to experience headaches.
(d) He was not affected.
4. What was the basis for Dawatondu's complaint when he and Herzog arrived at Camp III?
(a) Lack of pay.
(b) Lack of food.
(c) Extremely cold temperature.
(d) Abdominal pains.
5. Which of the following best describes the Miristi Khola?
(a) A mountain pass.
(b) A town.
(c) A river.
(d) A mountain.
6. Which of the following best describes the hidden valley?
(a) A valley left off the map.
(b) A valley that had looked like a lake on the maps.
(c) A valley inhabited by stone-age people.
(d) A dangerous area that the team had to cross.
7. Where did Herzog establish Camp III?
(a) In a crevasse.
(b) On a plateau.
(c) On a barren area.
(d) On a ledge.
8. What did some team members do while Herzog explored an approach to Annapurna?
(b) Buy supplies.
(c) Look for a route up Dhaulagiri.
(d) Negotiate with porters.
9. How did Herzog justify the position that he had taken during the May 14 conversation?
(a) He wanted to establish a consensus.
(b) He wanted to test his climbers' loyalty.
(c) He wanted to lead the team to his decision on their own.
(d) He wanted to see if anyone would disobey him.
10. Who visited the climbers' camp?
(a) A lama.
(b) A runaway child.
(c) A woman.
(d) A general.
11. Which of the following actions did the climbers commit themselves to do via oath?
(a) To obey Herzog.
(b) To reach the summit before another team.
(c) To return alive.
(d) To summit or die.
12. Which of the following did Herzog do after Lachenal and Terry set out?
(b) Explored other routes.
13. Which of the following best describes the state that Couzy, Lachenal, Rebuffat and the others were in when Herzog found them at Camp III after having established Camp IV?
14. Which of the following did Herzog have to cross in order to get supplies at Manangbhot?
(a) A river.
(b) A pass.
(c) A crevasse field.
(d) A frozen lake.
15. Which of the following did Herzog find at Base Camp?
(a) That the weather was setting in.
(b) That the gear was still missing.
(c) That there was not any food.
(d) That the supplies had all arrived there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Herzog and Rebuffat camp on May 19?
2. What dangers did Herzog and his team encounter during their ascent?
3. Which of the following roles did the expedition not arrange to fill with a specialist?
4. Who stayed with Herzog on May 20?
5. What did Herzog's Nepalese guide tell him about the Tilicho Pass?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)