|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Herzog do to save time?
(a) Divided the climbers into teams.
(b) Sent Sherpas to Tukucha for their gear.
(c) Returned to Manangbhot for supplies.
(d) Establish Camp II.
2. What dangers did Herzog and his team encounter during their ascent?
(a) Extreme cold conditions.
(c) Lack of supplies.
3. What region were the climbers thinking about climbing?
(a) The Pyrenees.
(b) The Himalayas.
(c) The Adirondacks.
(d) The Rockies.
4. What did Herzog and his men decide after attempting to climb the East Glacier of Dhaulagiri?
(a) That it was a dead end.
(b) That it was too difficult.
(c) That they should not separate from the others.
(d) That it was too easy.
5. Which of the following best describes the Miristi Khola?
(a) A mountain.
(b) A mountain pass.
(c) A river.
(d) A town.
6. Which of the following was positioned south of Herzog's exploratory expedition route?
(a) The Great Barrier.
(d) The Tilicho Pass.
7. In addition to the party, how did Herzog and his team mark their celebration?
(a) By drinking and dancing with the Sherpas.
(b) By taking a day for reading and writing letters.
(c) By sleeping late the next day.
(d) By eating their reserve rations.
8. Which of the following passes afforded Herzog and his team access to Annapurna?
(a) The Angawa Pass.
(b) The Tukucha Pass.
(c) The Tilicho Pass.
(d) The Annapurna Pass.
9. What did Herzog and his team find when they reached the Pass?
(a) A col.
(b) A lake, and another pass.
(c) A crevasse field.
(d) A serac.
10. Which of the following did Dr. Oudot test on the climbers?
(a) Lung capacity.
(b) Their tolerance for different drugs.
11. Where do Terray and Schatz camp on May 19?
(a) In an advance camp that they had set up.
(b) On a ledge that they had made.
(c) At the campsite.
(d) In the snow.
12. Who took equipment to Camp II with the Sherpas when Herzog and his team arrived from Base Camp?
13. Which of the following statements best reflects Herzog's thoughts on May 20 in relation to pressing on?
(a) He wanted to wait for Lachenal and Schatz.
(b) He wanted to press on.
(c) He wanted to wait to see how the weather changed.
(d) He wanted to go back.
14. Which of the following actions did the climbers commit themselves to do via oath?
(a) To summit or die.
(b) To return alive.
(c) To reach the summit before another team.
(d) To obey Herzog.
15. Where did Herzog and Rebuffat camp on May 19?
(a) On a ledge that they had made.
(b) In the snow.
(c) At an advance campsite that they had set up.
(d) By the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was in favor of continuing on, after Herzog, Rebuffat, Terray and Schatz reached a wide ledge on May 20?
2. How did Herzog and Rebuffat set out to join their team?
3. Who visited the climbers' camp?
4. Whom do Herzog and his team find at the end of their retreat?
5. Who stayed with Herzog on May 20?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)