|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements best reflects Rebuffat's thoughts on May 20 in relation to pressing on?
(a) He wanted to wait for Lachenal and Schatz.
(b) He wanted to wait to see how the weather had changed.
(c) He wanted to go back.
(d) He wanted to press on.
2. Which of the following passes afforded Herzog and his team access to Annapurna?
(a) The Annapurna Pass.
(b) The Angawa Pass.
(c) The Tukucha Pass.
(d) The Tilicho Pass.
3. What type of work did people in Tukucha primarily do?
(a) Guide mountain climbers.
(b) Spin and weave goat hair.
(c) Herd cattle.
(d) Smuggle opium.
4. To which of the following did Herzog compare the ascent?
(a) A military campaign.
(b) A river.
(c) A race.
(d) A poem.
5. What were Herzog and his team prevented from doing because of the weather?
(a) Establishing Camp II.
(b) Getting word of their progress back to France.
(c) Returning to Manangbhot for gear.
(d) Establishing Camp III.
6. Which of the following blocked the ridge to the peak of Dhaulagiri?
7. How did Herzog respond to the May 14 consensus?
(a) He argued against returning home.
(b) He defended the idea of climbing Dhaulagiri.
(c) He argued against continued exploration.
(d) He defended the decision to abandon Dhaulagiri.
8. Where did Herzog blaze a trail from Camp III?
(a) Through a crevasse field.
(b) Up 'the Sickle'.
(c) Up the Great Barrier.
(d) Around the plateau.
9. Which of the following did Dr. Oudot test on the climbers?
(a) Lung capacity.
(c) Their tolerance for different drugs.
10. In addition to the party, how did Herzog and his team mark their celebration?
(a) By sleeping late the next day.
(b) By eating their reserve rations.
(c) By taking a day for reading and writing letters.
(d) By drinking and dancing with the Sherpas.
11. What did Herzog and his team do during their first days in Tukucha?
(a) Set up camp.
(b) Arrange passports.
(c) Reconnoiter the mountain.
12. Which of the following was Herzog determined not to do as he left Base Camp for Camp I?
(a) Die on the mountain.
(b) Allow the survival of individuals to inhibit the team's progress.
(c) Return without having summitted.
(d) Leave any men on the mountain.
13. Where were all the supplies when Herzog and his team set up camp within view of Annapurna?
(a) In Manangbhot.
(b) In Tinigaon.
(c) In Tukucha.
(d) In Tilicho.
14. Which of the climbers suffered a fall on the retreat above Camp II?
15. Who was in favor of continuing on, after Herzog, Rebuffat, Terray and Schatz reached a wide ledge on May 20?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following approaches to Annapurna did Herzog explore himself?
2. When did Herzog decide on Annapurna instead of Dhaulagiri?
3. Who had the final decision about which mountain to climb?
4. Which of the following best describes the Miristi Khola?
5. What did Herzog decide based on the information that Lachenal and Terray provided?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)