|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements best reflects Rebuffat's thoughts on May 20 in relation to pressing on?
(a) He wanted to wait to see how the weather had changed.
(b) He wanted to press on.
(c) He wanted to wait for Lachenal and Schatz.
(d) He wanted to go back.
2. What news did the climbers from Dhaulagiri announce?
(a) That they had found a way.
(b) That one of the members had nearly frozen.
(c) That there was a wide river to cross.
(d) That there was an impassable crevasse field.
3. How many expeditions had tried and failed to ascend higher than 8,000 meters before Herzog's expedition?
4. Who served as doctor during the expedition?
(a) Jean Couzy.
(b) Marcel Schatz.
(c) Louis Lachenal.
(d) Jacques Oudot.
5. Which of the following best describes the hidden valley?
(a) A valley that had looked like a lake on the maps.
(b) A valley left off the map.
(c) A valley inhabited by stone-age people.
(d) A dangerous area that the team had to cross.
6. How long was the trek into Tukucha, Nepal?
(a) One day.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Four days.
(d) Three weeks.
7. Which of the following passes afforded Herzog and his team access to Annapurna?
(a) The Angawa Pass.
(b) The Tilicho Pass.
(c) The Tukucha Pass.
(d) The Annapurna Pass.
8. Which of the following blocked the ridge to the peak of Dhaulagiri?
9. What type of work did people in Tukucha primarily do?
(a) Guide mountain climbers.
(b) Smuggle opium.
(c) Herd cattle.
(d) Spin and weave goat hair.
10. Which of the climbers suffered a fall on the retreat above Camp II?
11. What did Herzog ask Lachenal and Terray to do?
(a) To write to France with updates.
(b) To obtain supplies.
(c) To set up an advance camp.
(d) To take letters to Tukucha.
12. How did Herzog feel about his team's chances of being able to summit?
13. What was the weather like when Herzog, Rebuffat, Terray and Schatz set out up the spur?
14. Where do Terray and Schatz camp on May 19?
(a) On a ledge that they had made.
(b) In an advance camp that they had set up.
(c) At the campsite.
(d) In the snow.
15. What did Herzog and his team find in Manangbhot?
(a) No supplies, and no news of Annapurna.
(b) News from France.
(c) Directions to Annapurna.
(d) News of the Tilicho Pass.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were all the supplies when Herzog and his team set up camp within view of Annapurna?
2. What was the basis for Dawatondu's complaint when he and Herzog arrived at Camp III?
3. Which of the following did Herzog have to cross in order to get supplies at Manangbhot?
4. Which of the following was decided at the May 14 meeting?
5. Whom do Herzog and his team find at the end of their retreat?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)