|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following roles did the expedition not arrange to fill with a specialist?
2. Which of the following was positioned south of Herzog's exploratory expedition route?
(a) The Tilicho Pass.
(d) The Great Barrier.
3. What did Terray and Lachenal tell Herzog?
(a) That they had found a possible route to Annapurna.
(b) That they could not find a way to get across a river.
(c) That they had encountered several dead ends.
(d) That they needed supplies before continuing.
4. Who served as doctor during the expedition?
(a) Louis Lachenal.
(b) Jacques Oudot.
(c) Marcel Schatz.
(d) Jean Couzy.
5. What did Herzog decide based on the information that Lachenal and Terray provided?
(a) To launch a summit bid.
(b) To climb up the spur and make camp.
(c) To return for supplies.
(d) To keep exploring.
6. How did Herzog feel about his team's chances of being able to summit?
7. Which of the following was decided at the May 14 meeting?
(a) To keep exploring.
(b) To climb Annapurna.
(c) To climb Dhaulagiri.
(d) To get more supplies.
8. What was the basis for Dawatondu's complaint when he and Herzog arrived at Camp III?
(a) Lack of food.
(b) Abdominal pains.
(c) Extremely cold temperature.
(d) Lack of pay.
9. Who took equipment to Camp II with the Sherpas when Herzog and his team arrived from Base Camp?
10. What type of work did people in Tukucha primarily do?
(a) Guide mountain climbers.
(b) Smuggle opium.
(c) Spin and weave goat hair.
(d) Herd cattle.
11. Which of the following was to take place in early June?
(a) The Santa Ana winds.
(b) A simoom.
(d) A monsoon.
12. Which of the following best describes the Miristi Khola?
(a) A town.
(b) A mountain pass.
(c) A mountain.
(d) A river.
13. Which of the following areas served as a retreat for Herzog and his team?
(a) Camp II.
(c) Camp III.
(d) Camp I.
14. What was the consensus of the May 14 meeting?
(a) To return home.
(b) To climb Dhaulagiri.
(c) To abandon Dhaulagiri.
(d) To keep exploring.
15. Who visited the climbers' camp?
(a) A general.
(b) A lama.
(c) A woman.
(d) A runaway child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Herzog send to look for the Tilicho Pass?
2. Which of the following actions did the climbers commit themselves to do via oath?
3. How high had Herzog ascended when he cached equipment?
4. How far away from camp did Herzog collapse?
5. Which of the following did Herzog do after Lachenal and Terry set out?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)