|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was decided at the May 14 meeting?
(a) To climb Dhaulagiri.
(b) To keep exploring.
(c) To get more supplies.
(d) To climb Annapurna.
2. How did Herzog justify the position that he had taken during the May 14 conversation?
(a) He wanted to lead the team to his decision on their own.
(b) He wanted to establish a consensus.
(c) He wanted to see if anyone would disobey him.
(d) He wanted to test his climbers' loyalty.
3. Which of the following approaches to Annapurna did Herzog explore himself?
(c) The East Glacier.
(d) The Tilicho Pass.
4. What did Terray and Lachenal tell Herzog?
(a) That they needed supplies before continuing.
(b) That they could not find a way to get across a river.
(c) That they had encountered several dead ends.
(d) That they had found a possible route to Annapurna.
5. How did Herzog feel about Lachenal and Rebuffat's plan?
(a) He was optimistic.
(b) He was depressed about the last option.
(c) He was waiting to hear from them before drawing any conclusion.
(d) He was apprehensive.
6. Why did Herzog and his team celebrate with a party on May 24?
(a) They were celebrating Herzog's birthday.
(b) They were celebrating the progress that they had made.
(c) They were celebrating a French holiday.
(d) They were celebrating having discovered a promising route.
7. What was the weather like when Herzog, Rebuffat, Terray and Schatz set out up the spur?
8. What did Herzog do to save time?
(a) Sent Sherpas to Tukucha for their gear.
(b) Divided the climbers into teams.
(c) Returned to Manangbhot for supplies.
(d) Establish Camp II.
9. Which of the following best describes the hidden valley?
(a) A valley inhabited by stone-age people.
(b) A valley that had looked like a lake on the maps.
(c) A dangerous area that the team had to cross.
(d) A valley left off the map.
10. How high had Herzog ascended when he cached equipment?
(a) 24,000 feet.
(b) 27,000 feet.
(c) 20,000 feet.
(d) 22,000 feet.
11. Where did Herzog blaze a trail from Camp III?
(a) Up 'the Sickle'.
(b) Up the Great Barrier.
(c) Around the plateau.
(d) Through a crevasse field.
12. Which of the following did Herzog find at Base Camp?
(a) That the weather was setting in.
(b) That the supplies had all arrived there.
(c) That the gear was still missing.
(d) That there was not any food.
13. Which of the following did Dr. Oudot test on the climbers?
(c) Lung capacity.
(d) Their tolerance for different drugs.
14. What factors hindered Herzog during his ascent?
(a) Trouble with Sherpas.
(b) The altitude.
(c) Dissension among the climbers.
(d) Gear failures.
15. Who offered to lead Herzog and his team to the Tilicho Pass?
(a) A shepherd.
(b) A guide.
(c) A lama.
(d) A girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Herzog's Nepalese guide tell him about the Tilicho Pass?
2. Whom did Herzog send to look for the Tilicho Pass?
3. How did Herzog feel about his team's chances of being able to summit?
4. When did Herzog decide on Annapurna instead of Dhaulagiri?
5. Where did Herzog establish Camp III?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)