|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Herzog and his team celebrate with a party on May 24?
(a) They were celebrating the progress that they had made.
(b) They were celebrating having discovered a promising route.
(c) They were celebrating a French holiday.
(d) They were celebrating Herzog's birthday.
2. Who had the final decision about which mountain to climb?
(b) The majority of the team.
3. What prospect did Herzog explore when he broke the men into exploring teams?
(a) The east ridge of Dhaulagiri.
(b) The Dhaulagiri Glacier.
(c) The north ridge of Dhaulagiri.
(d) The north face of Annapurna.
4. Where did Herzog and Rebuffat camp on May 19?
(a) By the river.
(b) In the snow.
(c) On a ledge that they had made.
(d) At an advance campsite that they had set up.
5. What type of work did people in Tukucha primarily do?
(a) Smuggle opium.
(b) Herd cattle.
(c) Spin and weave goat hair.
(d) Guide mountain climbers.
6. How did Herzog and Rebuffat set out to join their team?
(a) By dog sled.
(b) On foot.
(c) On skis.
(d) By horse.
7. How did Herzog feel about his team's chances of being able to summit?
8. What did Herzog do to save time?
(a) Divided the climbers into teams.
(b) Returned to Manangbhot for supplies.
(c) Sent Sherpas to Tukucha for their gear.
(d) Establish Camp II.
9. How did Herzog respond to the May 14 consensus?
(a) He argued against continued exploration.
(b) He defended the idea of climbing Dhaulagiri.
(c) He argued against returning home.
(d) He defended the decision to abandon Dhaulagiri.
10. What dangers did Herzog and his team encounter during their ascent?
(a) Lack of supplies.
(d) Extreme cold conditions.
11. Which of the following best describes the hidden valley?
(a) A valley left off the map.
(b) A dangerous area that the team had to cross.
(c) A valley that had looked like a lake on the maps.
(d) A valley inhabited by stone-age people.
12. Which of the climbers suffered a fall on the retreat above Camp II?
13. Whom did Herzog send to look for the Tilicho Pass?
(a) Couzy and Schatz.
(b) Couzy and Terray.
(c) Lachenal and Rebuffat.
(d) Schatz and the Nepalese guide.
14. Which of the following roles did the expedition not arrange to fill with a specialist?
15. What news did the Sherpa relay toHerzog as he was climbing along the Great Barrier?
(a) That Lachenal and Rebuffat had retreated.
(b) That a snowstorm had stopped Lachenal and Rebuffat.
(c) That Lachenal and Rebuffat had camped.
(d) That Lachenal had hurt himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Lachenal and Rebuffat look for after Herzog returned from the spur?
2. What was the consensus of the May 14 meeting?
3. What did Herzog and his team do during their first days in Tukucha?
4. How many team members were involved in planning the expedition?
5. Who offered to lead Herzog and his team to the Tilicho Pass?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)