|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Herzog feel about Lachenal and Rebuffat's plan?
(a) He was waiting to hear from them before drawing any conclusion.
(b) He was depressed about the last option.
(c) He was apprehensive.
(d) He was optimistic.
2. How far away from camp did Herzog collapse?
(a) Two miles.
(b) Four miles.
(c) 20 yards.
(d) 200 yards.
3. What type of work did people in Tukucha primarily do?
(a) Herd cattle.
(b) Guide mountain climbers.
(c) Smuggle opium.
(d) Spin and weave goat hair.
4. Which of the following actions did the climbers commit themselves to do via oath?
(a) To return alive.
(b) To summit or die.
(c) To obey Herzog.
(d) To reach the summit before another team.
5. What did Herzog's Nepalese guide tell him about the Tilicho Pass?
(a) That it was impassable.
(b) That it was nearby.
(c) That he did not know anything about it.
(d) That it was off limits.
6. Which of the following did Dr. Oudot test on the climbers?
(b) Their tolerance for different drugs.
(c) Lung capacity.
7. Which of the following roles did the expedition not arrange to fill with a specialist?
8. Who stayed with Herzog on May 20?
9. Which of the following was Herzog determined not to do as he left Base Camp for Camp I?
(a) Leave any men on the mountain.
(b) Die on the mountain.
(c) Return without having summitted.
(d) Allow the survival of individuals to inhibit the team's progress.
10. How long was the trek into Tukucha, Nepal?
(a) Four days.
(b) One day.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Three weeks.
11. What did Herzog do when he returned to camp?
(a) Returned to Manangbhot.
(b) Ate and slept.
(c) Explored the route to Annapurna.
(d) Talked with the other climbers.
12. Which of the following was positioned south of Herzog's exploratory expedition route?
(b) The Great Barrier.
(d) The Tilicho Pass.
13. Who offered to lead Herzog and his team to the Tilicho Pass?
(a) A guide.
(b) A lama.
(c) A girl.
(d) A shepherd.
14. How did Herzog feel about his team's chances of being able to summit?
15. Why did Herzog and his team celebrate with a party on May 24?
(a) They were celebrating having discovered a promising route.
(b) They were celebrating a French holiday.
(c) They were celebrating Herzog's birthday.
(d) They were celebrating the progress that they had made.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who served as doctor during the expedition?
2. How did Herzog and Rebuffat set out to join their team?
3. Who visited the climbers' camp?
4. What did Herzog decide based on the information that Lachenal and Terray provided?
5. To which of the following did Herzog compare the ascent?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)