|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were Herzog and his team prevented from doing because of the weather?
(a) Getting word of their progress back to France.
(b) Returning to Manangbhot for gear.
(c) Establishing Camp II.
(d) Establishing Camp III.
2. Which of the following was Herzog determined not to do as he left Base Camp for Camp I?
(a) Leave any men on the mountain.
(b) Return without having summitted.
(c) Die on the mountain.
(d) Allow the survival of individuals to inhibit the team's progress.
3. What did Herzog do when he returned to camp?
(a) Explored the route to Annapurna.
(b) Ate and slept.
(c) Talked with the other climbers.
(d) Returned to Manangbhot.
4. What were conditions like when Herzog continued up the spur on May 21?
(a) Iced like glass.
(b) Iced like rabbit fur.
(c) Iced like stone.
(d) Iced like cauliflower.
5. What region were the climbers thinking about climbing?
(a) The Himalayas.
(b) The Rockies.
(c) The Adirondacks.
(d) The Pyrenees.
6. Which of the following roles did the expedition not arrange to fill with a specialist?
7. How did Herzog justify the position that he had taken during the May 14 conversation?
(a) He wanted to establish a consensus.
(b) He wanted to see if anyone would disobey him.
(c) He wanted to lead the team to his decision on their own.
(d) He wanted to test his climbers' loyalty.
8. Which of the following best describes the hidden valley?
(a) A valley left off the map.
(b) A valley inhabited by stone-age people.
(c) A dangerous area that the team had to cross.
(d) A valley that had looked like a lake on the maps.
9. What did Herzog decide based on the information that Lachenal and Terray provided?
(a) To return for supplies.
(b) To launch a summit bid.
(c) To climb up the spur and make camp.
(d) To keep exploring.
10. What did Herzog pack for sustenance on his way back to the camp at Tilicho Pass?
11. Whom did Herzog send to look for the Tilicho Pass?
(a) Schatz and the Nepalese guide.
(b) Lachenal and Rebuffat.
(c) Couzy and Schatz.
(d) Couzy and Terray.
12. How long was the trek into Tukucha, Nepal?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) One day.
(c) Four days.
(d) Two weeks.
13. How high had Herzog ascended when he cached equipment?
(a) 24,000 feet.
(b) 22,000 feet.
(c) 27,000 feet.
(d) 20,000 feet.
14. In addition to the party, how did Herzog and his team mark their celebration?
(a) By taking a day for reading and writing letters.
(b) By drinking and dancing with the Sherpas.
(c) By eating their reserve rations.
(d) By sleeping late the next day.
15. Where were all the supplies when Herzog and his team set up camp within view of Annapurna?
(a) In Manangbhot.
(b) In Tilicho.
(c) In Tukucha.
(d) In Tinigaon.
Short Answer Questions
1. How high was Camp IV?
2. How did Herzog feel about Lachenal and Rebuffat's plan?
3. In what way did Herzog demonstrate his leadership and prowess?
4. What prospect did Herzog explore when he broke the men into exploring teams?
5. What did Herzog and his team meet to decide on May 14?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)