|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following approaches to Annapurna did Herzog explore himself?
(b) The Tilicho Pass.
(c) The East Glacier.
2. What news did the Sherpa relay toHerzog as he was climbing along the Great Barrier?
(a) That a snowstorm had stopped Lachenal and Rebuffat.
(b) That Lachenal had hurt himself.
(c) That Lachenal and Rebuffat had retreated.
(d) That Lachenal and Rebuffat had camped.
3. Which of the following areas served as a retreat for Herzog and his team?
(a) Camp I.
(b) Camp II.
(d) Camp III.
4. Who served as doctor during the expedition?
(a) Marcel Schatz.
(b) Jacques Oudot.
(c) Jean Couzy.
(d) Louis Lachenal.
5. Whom did Herzog send to look for the Tilicho Pass?
(a) Couzy and Terray.
(b) Schatz and the Nepalese guide.
(c) Lachenal and Rebuffat.
(d) Couzy and Schatz.
6. What prospect did Herzog explore when he broke the men into exploring teams?
(a) The north ridge of Dhaulagiri.
(b) The east ridge of Dhaulagiri.
(c) The Dhaulagiri Glacier.
(d) The north face of Annapurna.
7. Which of the following was decided at the May 14 meeting?
(a) To get more supplies.
(b) To keep exploring.
(c) To climb Annapurna.
(d) To climb Dhaulagiri.
8. What did Herzog's Nepalese guide tell him about the Tilicho Pass?
(a) That it was nearby.
(b) That it was impassable.
(c) That he did not know anything about it.
(d) That it was off limits.
9. What did Herzog and his team do during their first days in Tukucha?
(a) Arrange passports.
(b) Set up camp.
(d) Reconnoiter the mountain.
10. How did Herzog justify the position that he had taken during the May 14 conversation?
(a) He wanted to lead the team to his decision on their own.
(b) He wanted to test his climbers' loyalty.
(c) He wanted to see if anyone would disobey him.
(d) He wanted to establish a consensus.
11. Which of the following did Dr. Oudot test on the climbers?
(a) Their tolerance for different drugs.
(d) Lung capacity.
12. How long was the trek into Tukucha, Nepal?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Four days.
(c) One day.
(d) Two weeks.
13. Which of the following actions did the climbers commit themselves to do via oath?
(a) To summit or die.
(b) To reach the summit before another team.
(c) To obey Herzog.
(d) To return alive.
14. How many expeditions had tried and failed to ascend higher than 8,000 meters before Herzog's expedition?
15. What was the author's role in the expedition?
(a) To lead the club.
(b) To arrange the visas.
(c) To assemble the team.
(d) To arrange logistics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Herzog have to cross in order to get supplies at Manangbhot?
2. Which of the following statements best reflects Rebuffat's thoughts on May 20 in relation to pressing on?
3. What factors hindered Herzog during his ascent?
4. What were conditions like when Herzog continued up the spur on May 21?
5. Where did Herzog and Rebuffat camp on May 19?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)