|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news did the Sherpa relay toHerzog as he was climbing along the Great Barrier?
(a) That Lachenal and Rebuffat had retreated.
(b) That Lachenal had hurt himself.
(c) That a snowstorm had stopped Lachenal and Rebuffat.
(d) That Lachenal and Rebuffat had camped.
2. Who offered to lead Herzog and his team to the Tilicho Pass?
(a) A guide.
(b) A shepherd.
(c) A lama.
(d) A girl.
3. Which of the following did Dr. Oudot test on the climbers?
(a) Their tolerance for different drugs.
(b) Lung capacity.
4. Which of the following did Herzog do after Lachenal and Terry set out?
(a) Explored other routes.
5. How did Herzog feel about Lachenal and Rebuffat's plan?
(a) He was optimistic.
(b) He was waiting to hear from them before drawing any conclusion.
(c) He was apprehensive.
(d) He was depressed about the last option.
6. Which of the following did Lachenal and Rebuffat look for after Herzog returned from the spur?
(a) A route around the spur.
(b) An escape route.
(c) A route to a plateau.
(d) A route through the Great Barrier.
7. How did Herzog justify the position that he had taken during the May 14 conversation?
(a) He wanted to lead the team to his decision on their own.
(b) He wanted to establish a consensus.
(c) He wanted to test his climbers' loyalty.
(d) He wanted to see if anyone would disobey him.
8. What was the consensus of the May 14 meeting?
(a) To keep exploring.
(b) To climb Dhaulagiri.
(c) To abandon Dhaulagiri.
(d) To return home.
9. Which of the following approaches to Annapurna did Herzog explore himself?
(b) The Tilicho Pass.
(c) The East Glacier.
10. Which of the following statements best reflects Herzog's thoughts on May 20 in relation to pressing on?
(a) He wanted to wait to see how the weather changed.
(b) He wanted to go back.
(c) He wanted to press on.
(d) He wanted to wait for Lachenal and Schatz.
11. What did Herzog and his men decide after attempting to climb the East Glacier of Dhaulagiri?
(a) That it was too difficult.
(b) That it was a dead end.
(c) That they should not separate from the others.
(d) That it was too easy.
12. How high had Herzog ascended when he cached equipment?
(a) 20,000 feet.
(b) 27,000 feet.
(c) 24,000 feet.
(d) 22,000 feet.
13. How did Herzog and Rebuffat set out to join their team?
(a) By horse.
(b) By dog sled.
(c) On foot.
(d) On skis.
14. Which of the climbers suffered a fall on the retreat above Camp II?
15. Which of the following actions did the climbers commit themselves to do via oath?
(a) To obey Herzog.
(b) To reach the summit before another team.
(c) To summit or die.
(d) To return alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Herzog and his team find in Manangbhot?
2. How were the team members selected?
3. Who served as doctor during the expedition?
4. Which of the following was positioned south of Herzog's exploratory expedition route?
5. Which of the following best describes the state that Couzy, Lachenal, Rebuffat and the others were in when Herzog found them at Camp III after having established Camp IV?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)