|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Herzog decide on Annapurna instead of Dhaulagiri?
(a) When climbers descending from Dhaulagiri told him how dangerous it was.
(b) When his visitor told him that Dhaulagiri was extremely dangerous.
(c) When he found the Tilicho Pass.
(d) When the reconnaissance team told him about the difficulties at Dhaulagiri.
2. Which of the following was to take place in early June?
(a) A monsoon.
(b) A simoom.
(c) The Santa Ana winds.
3. How did Herzog feel about his team's chances of being able to summit?
4. How far away from camp did Herzog collapse?
(a) Four miles.
(b) Two miles.
(c) 200 yards.
(d) 20 yards.
5. What did Herzog pack for sustenance on his way back to the camp at Tilicho Pass?
6. What was the author's role in the expedition?
(a) To arrange the visas.
(b) To lead the club.
(c) To assemble the team.
(d) To arrange logistics.
7. How long was the trek into Tukucha, Nepal?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One day.
(d) Four days.
8. What was the basis for Dawatondu's complaint when he and Herzog arrived at Camp III?
(a) Lack of food.
(b) Extremely cold temperature.
(c) Abdominal pains.
(d) Lack of pay.
9. Who served as doctor during the expedition?
(a) Jean Couzy.
(b) Jacques Oudot.
(c) Louis Lachenal.
(d) Marcel Schatz.
10. Which of the following best describes the Miristi Khola?
(a) A mountain.
(b) A mountain pass.
(c) A river.
(d) A town.
11. What were conditions like when Herzog continued up the spur on May 21?
(a) Iced like cauliflower.
(b) Iced like stone.
(c) Iced like glass.
(d) Iced like rabbit fur.
12. How high had Herzog ascended when he cached equipment?
(a) 22,000 feet.
(b) 20,000 feet.
(c) 24,000 feet.
(d) 27,000 feet.
13. Which of the following blocked the ridge to the peak of Dhaulagiri?
14. What news did the climbers from Dhaulagiri announce?
(a) That they had found a way.
(b) That there was a wide river to cross.
(c) That there was an impassable crevasse field.
(d) That one of the members had nearly frozen.
15. Which of the following did Herzog and his team get for the first time on May 23?
(b) A view of Annapurna.
(c) Letters from home.
(d) News about the Tilicho Pass.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the hidden valley?
2. Which of the following did Herzog have to cross in order to get supplies at Manangbhot?
3. Who visited the climbers' camp?
4. What did Herzog do when he returned to camp?
5. What did Herzog decide based on the information that Lachenal and Terray provided?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)