|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following passes afforded Herzog and his team access to Annapurna?
(a) The Angawa Pass.
(b) The Tilicho Pass.
(c) The Annapurna Pass.
(d) The Tukucha Pass.
2. What did Herzog and his team do during their first days in Tukucha?
(a) Set up camp.
(c) Arrange passports.
(d) Reconnoiter the mountain.
3. How did Herzog feel about Lachenal and Rebuffat's plan?
(a) He was depressed about the last option.
(b) He was apprehensive.
(c) He was waiting to hear from them before drawing any conclusion.
(d) He was optimistic.
4. Which of the following best describes the state that Couzy, Lachenal, Rebuffat and the others were in when Herzog found them at Camp III after having established Camp IV?
5. What did the visitor tell the climbers?
(a) That Annapurna was close by.
(b) That they would be renowned for their efforts.
(c) That they would lose one of their team members.
(d) That it was not propitious to climb Dhaulagiri.
6. Who took equipment to Camp II with the Sherpas when Herzog and his team arrived from Base Camp?
7. What did some team members do while Herzog explored an approach to Annapurna?
(a) Negotiate with porters.
(b) Look for a route up Dhaulagiri.
(d) Buy supplies.
8. Which of the following was decided at the May 14 meeting?
(a) To climb Dhaulagiri.
(b) To climb Annapurna.
(c) To keep exploring.
(d) To get more supplies.
9. What did Herzog decide based on the information that Lachenal and Terray provided?
(a) To return for supplies.
(b) To keep exploring.
(c) To launch a summit bid.
(d) To climb up the spur and make camp.
10. Who served as doctor during the expedition?
(a) Marcel Schatz.
(b) Jean Couzy.
(c) Louis Lachenal.
(d) Jacques Oudot.
11. How did Herzog feel about his team's chances of being able to summit?
12. What was the consensus of the May 14 meeting?
(a) To keep exploring.
(b) To return home.
(c) To climb Dhaulagiri.
(d) To abandon Dhaulagiri.
13. What factors hindered Herzog during his ascent?
(a) Gear failures.
(b) Trouble with Sherpas.
(c) Dissension among the climbers.
(d) The altitude.
14. Who offered to lead Herzog and his team to the Tilicho Pass?
(a) A guide.
(b) A girl.
(c) A lama.
(d) A shepherd.
15. What were conditions like when Herzog continued up the spur on May 21?
(a) Iced like stone.
(b) Iced like cauliflower.
(c) Iced like rabbit fur.
(d) Iced like glass.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was to take place in early June?
2. What was the author's role in the expedition?
3. How did Herzog and Rebuffat set out to join their team?
4. What did Herzog and his team find when they reached the Pass?
5. Which of the following did Herzog have to cross in order to get supplies at Manangbhot?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)