|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom do Herzog and his team find at the end of their retreat?
2. What news did the climbers from Dhaulagiri announce?
(a) That there was an impassable crevasse field.
(b) That they had found a way.
(c) That there was a wide river to cross.
(d) That one of the members had nearly frozen.
3. In addition to the party, how did Herzog and his team mark their celebration?
(a) By drinking and dancing with the Sherpas.
(b) By eating their reserve rations.
(c) By taking a day for reading and writing letters.
(d) By sleeping late the next day.
4. Who offered to lead Herzog and his team to the Tilicho Pass?
(a) A shepherd.
(b) A lama.
(c) A guide.
(d) A girl.
5. Which of the following roles did the expedition not arrange to fill with a specialist?
6. How did Herzog feel about his team's chances of being able to summit?
7. What type of work did people in Tukucha primarily do?
(a) Herd cattle.
(b) Smuggle opium.
(c) Guide mountain climbers.
(d) Spin and weave goat hair.
8. What did Herzog and his team find in Manangbhot?
(a) News of the Tilicho Pass.
(b) No supplies, and no news of Annapurna.
(c) Directions to Annapurna.
(d) News from France.
9. How far away from camp did Herzog collapse?
(a) 200 yards.
(b) 20 yards.
(c) Two miles.
(d) Four miles.
10. To which of the following did Herzog compare the ascent?
(a) A military campaign.
(b) A river.
(c) A poem.
(d) A race.
11. What was the consensus of the May 14 meeting?
(a) To keep exploring.
(b) To abandon Dhaulagiri.
(c) To return home.
(d) To climb Dhaulagiri.
12. Where and when does 'Annapurna' begin?
(a) Chamonix, 1950.
(b) Paris, 1950.
(c) Annapurna, 1951.
(d) Katmandu, 1952.
13. Where were all the supplies when Herzog and his team set up camp within view of Annapurna?
(a) In Manangbhot.
(b) In Tinigaon.
(c) In Tilicho.
(d) In Tukucha.
14. Whom did Herzog send to look for the Tilicho Pass?
(a) Couzy and Terray.
(b) Schatz and the Nepalese guide.
(c) Lachenal and Rebuffat.
(d) Couzy and Schatz.
15. Which of the following best describes the hidden valley?
(a) A valley left off the map.
(b) A valley inhabited by stone-age people.
(c) A valley that had looked like a lake on the maps.
(d) A dangerous area that the team had to cross.
Short Answer Questions
1. How high was Camp IV?
2. When did Herzog decide on Annapurna instead of Dhaulagiri?
3. Which of the following was positioned south of Herzog's exploratory expedition route?
4. How did Herzog justify the position that he had taken during the May 14 conversation?
5. What factors hindered Herzog during his ascent?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)