Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Herzog and his team celebrate with a party on May 24?
(a) They were celebrating having discovered a promising route.
(b) They were celebrating Herzog's birthday.
(c) They were celebrating a French holiday.
(d) They were celebrating the progress that they had made.
2. Who stayed with Herzog on May 20?
3. Which of the following roles did the expedition not arrange to fill with a specialist?
4. What did Herzog pack for sustenance on his way back to the camp at Tilicho Pass?
5. What did Herzog and his team do during their first days in Tukucha?
(a) Arrange passports.
(b) Reconnoiter the mountain.
(d) Set up camp.
6. What did Herzog's Nepalese guide tell him about the Tilicho Pass?
(a) That it was impassable.
(b) That it was off limits.
(c) That it was nearby.
(d) That he did not know anything about it.
7. What did Herzog do when he returned to camp?
(a) Returned to Manangbhot.
(b) Ate and slept.
(c) Talked with the other climbers.
(d) Explored the route to Annapurna.
8. What did the visitor tell the climbers?
(a) That it was not propitious to climb Dhaulagiri.
(b) That they would lose one of their team members.
(c) That Annapurna was close by.
(d) That they would be renowned for their efforts.
9. What were conditions like when Herzog continued up the spur on May 21?
(a) Iced like stone.
(b) Iced like cauliflower.
(c) Iced like rabbit fur.
(d) Iced like glass.
10. How high had Herzog ascended when he cached equipment?
(a) 22,000 feet.
(b) 24,000 feet.
(c) 27,000 feet.
(d) 20,000 feet.
11. Where do Terray and Schatz camp on May 19?
(a) On a ledge that they had made.
(b) In an advance camp that they had set up.
(c) At the campsite.
(d) In the snow.
12. What was the author's role in the expedition?
(a) To arrange logistics.
(b) To arrange the visas.
(c) To lead the club.
(d) To assemble the team.
13. What was the consensus of the May 14 meeting?
(a) To keep exploring.
(b) To climb Dhaulagiri.
(c) To return home.
(d) To abandon Dhaulagiri.
14. What did Herzog do to save time?
(a) Sent Sherpas to Tukucha for their gear.
(b) Establish Camp II.
(c) Divided the climbers into teams.
(d) Returned to Manangbhot for supplies.
15. Who was in favor of continuing on, after Herzog, Rebuffat, Terray and Schatz reached a wide ledge on May 20?
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Herzog and his team prevented from doing because of the weather?
2. Where and when does 'Annapurna' begin?
3. Who served as doctor during the expedition?
4. How did Herzog justify the position that he had taken during the May 14 conversation?
5. In addition to the party, how did Herzog and his team mark their celebration?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)