|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which of the following did Herzog compare the ascent?
(a) A river.
(b) A race.
(c) A poem.
(d) A military campaign.
2. What was the consensus of the May 14 meeting?
(a) To climb Dhaulagiri.
(b) To abandon Dhaulagiri.
(c) To return home.
(d) To keep exploring.
3. How were the team members selected?
(a) Based on diversity.
(b) Based on level of ambition and talent.
(c) Based on financial capability.
(d) Based on experience and ability to function.
4. How did Herzog respond to the May 14 consensus?
(a) He defended the decision to abandon Dhaulagiri.
(b) He argued against continued exploration.
(c) He defended the idea of climbing Dhaulagiri.
(d) He argued against returning home.
5. Which of the following roles did the expedition not arrange to fill with a specialist?
6. How high had Herzog ascended when he cached equipment?
(a) 24,000 feet.
(b) 22,000 feet.
(c) 20,000 feet.
(d) 27,000 feet.
7. Which of the following did Dr. Oudot test on the climbers?
(a) Lung capacity.
(b) Their tolerance for different drugs.
8. Which of the following did Lachenal and Rebuffat look for after Herzog returned from the spur?
(a) A route around the spur.
(b) An escape route.
(c) A route through the Great Barrier.
(d) A route to a plateau.
9. Which of the following was to take place in early June?
(a) A monsoon.
(c) A simoom.
(d) The Santa Ana winds.
10. What was the weather like when Herzog, Rebuffat, Terray and Schatz set out up the spur?
11. Whom do Herzog and his team find at the end of their retreat?
12. What were Herzog and his team prevented from doing because of the weather?
(a) Establishing Camp III.
(b) Establishing Camp II.
(c) Returning to Manangbhot for gear.
(d) Getting word of their progress back to France.
13. Which of the following did Herzog and his team get for the first time on May 23?
(a) Letters from home.
(b) News about the Tilicho Pass.
(c) A view of Annapurna.
14. Which of the following best describes the state that Couzy, Lachenal, Rebuffat and the others were in when Herzog found them at Camp III after having established Camp IV?
15. What were Herzog, Rebuffat, Terray and Schatz looking for when they set out on May 19?
(a) A route to the Tilicho Pass.
(c) A village with Sherpas.
(d) A site for a camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Herzog and his team find when they reached the Pass?
2. What was the basis for Dawatondu's complaint when he and Herzog arrived at Camp III?
3. Which of the following did Herzog find at Base Camp?
4. What news did the climbers from Dhaulagiri announce?
5. What did Herzog and his team do during their first days in Tukucha?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)