|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XVI The Retreat.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Terray worried about when he greeted Herzog at Camp II?
(a) The weather.
(b) The poor state of their supplies.
(c) The condition of climbers at Camp III.
(d) The rations.
2. What did some team members do while Herzog explored an approach to Annapurna?
(a) Look for a route up Dhaulagiri.
(b) Buy supplies.
(c) Negotiate with porters.
3. What news did Herzog get about the weather?
(a) That the summit had been cleared for an attempt.
(b) That a storm had enveloped base camp.
(c) That the monsoon had arrived early.
(d) That a storm had trapped climbers at Camp IV.
4. Who was Herzog tied to for the descent?
(a) Schatz and Lachenal.
(c) Rebuffat and Terray.
(d) Two Sherpas.
5. What did Herzog reply when Lachenal asked him what he would do if he (Lachenal) were to turn back?
(a) He replied that he would continue the expedition alone.
(b) He would turn back as well.
(c) He replied that he would make it Camp VI.
(d) He replied that he would stay at Camp V until he (Lachenal) would return.
Short Answer Questions
1. How high was Camp IV?
2. At whose mercy did Herzog ultimately collapse?
3. What did Herzog ultimately decide about his fingers?
4. What did Herzog do when he returned to camp?
5. When did Herzog give up on surviving the descent?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)