|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burke say he is going to do so he will never see Anna again?
2. What is the name of the steamer Chris has signed on to work for?
3. What sounds can be heard at the beginning of Act 4?
4. What does Chris say is a million times worse than being a sailor?
5. What is Burke about to do when he stops because he feels very doubtful about Anna's oath in Act 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Chris takes responsibilities for his past failures? What does it say about him that he covers his ears when Anna is telling him about the horrors of her past? How does he accept responsibility in the final Act of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Marthy's character. How does she seem to be a person of strength and compassion? In what ways does she show her thoughtfulness toward Chris when Anna arrives in New York?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Chris not want Anna to marry Burke? What does he worry about if she marries a sailor? How does his own personal experience with marriage color his attitude about sea faring men and their wives?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)