|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What explanation does Burke give for why he and Chris were fighting?
2. Why does Anna think it is funny when Burke tells her he signed up to work on a steamer?
3. At the end of Act 3, who does Chris blame for having to learn about Anna's past?
4. What does Anna accuse Burke and Chris of treating her like when they are arguing over whom is going to give her orders.
5. When Chris returns to the cabin when Anna and Burke are embracing in Act 4, what expression first appears in his eye?
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the play is titled "Anna Christie"? What is the significance of using the name Anna chose in her past life? How does this title suggest that Anna's life should not just be considered in terms of her present, but also in terms of her past?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Marthy's character. How does she seem to be a person of strength and compassion? In what ways does she show her thoughtfulness toward Chris when Anna arrives in New York?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Chris not want Anna to marry Burke? What does he worry about if she marries a sailor? How does his own personal experience with marriage color his attitude about sea faring men and their wives?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)