|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chris go into his room and retrieve before he leaves the barge in Act 3?
2. Why does Anna think it is funny when Burke tells her he signed up to work on a steamer?
3. What does Chris say he wants to do after he gets his tin of beer from the bedroom?
4. What does Chris say he is sorry for when he returns to the cabin and sees Anna with her suitcase?
5. What does Anna say about being alone after Burke goes back to sea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Marthy's character. How does she seem to be a person of strength and compassion? In what ways does she show her thoughtfulness toward Chris when Anna arrives in New York?
Essay Topic 2
How does the ending of the play reveal a feeling of foreboding? What do Burke and Chris say about their future on the sea? Does Anna sense this foreboding and choose to ignore it? How?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the ways in which you see Anna acting as an independent woman who can take care of herself. What is her reaction when Chris and Burke begin ordering her around? Provide textual examples to support your viewpoint.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)