|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Burke say he and Anna will wed in Act 4?
2. What noise does Chris make as he wrings his hands together and begins to weep in Act 3?
3. What is Burke about to do when he stops because he feels very doubtful about Anna's oath in Act 4?
4. What does Chris say he wants to do after he gets his tin of beer from the bedroom?
5. What does Anna tell Burke and Chris that stuns both men in Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of fog in the play. How does O'Neill use it as a metaphor for both opportunity and uncertainty?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Burke returns to talk with Anna again. What is he hoping he will hear from her? How does he take a leap of faith and believe her when she says she has never loved another man? How does he need to believe he has changed her in order to love her?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the central conflict between Burke and Chris. What intensifies their anger and causes them to lash out at each other? Provide textual examples to explain their conflict and how they resolve it.
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)