|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Chris's physical state when he is at the bar in the beginning of the play?
2. What does Burke compare Anna to in Act 2 when he sees her for the first time?
3. In what season does the beginning of the play take place?
4. What does Larry suggest that Chris do after he arrives at the bar?
5. What does Anna hope to achieve by visiting Chris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What references does Burke make about fog at the end of Act 2?
2. Describe Anna's reaction to how Burke keeps his promise to go to "the other side of the earth" where he will never see Anna again.
3. How does Anna respond when Burke asks her if her past was all a lie?
4. How are Chris and Burke behaving that makes Anna feel like a piece of furniture?
5. Describe the crucifix that Burke uses so Anna can swear that he is the only man she has ever loved.
6. Describe Burke's appearance.
7. What is Anna's impression of the fog at the beginning of Act 2?
8. What happens when Burke visits the cabin during Act 3 and finds Chris there?
9. Does Anna seem uncertain about living with her father?
10. What does Burke say about the other sailors in the rowboat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of fog in the play. How does O'Neill use it as a metaphor for both opportunity and uncertainty?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the ways in which you see Anna acting as an independent woman who can take care of herself. What is her reaction when Chris and Burke begin ordering her around? Provide textual examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the central conflict between Burke and Chris. What intensifies their anger and causes them to lash out at each other? Provide textual examples to explain their conflict and how they resolve it.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)