|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Anna want to stay out on the deck at night at the beginning of Act 2?
2. What does Larry suggest that Chris do after he arrives at the bar?
3. Where does Anna help Burke move to at the end of Act 2?
4. Where did Anna run away to?
5. How many days were the sailors in the open boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Anna seem uncertain about living with her father?
2. How does Anna respond when Burke asks her if her past was all a lie?
3. Describe Burke's response to Anna's comments that she has changed.
4. Describe Anna's reaction to how Burke keeps his promise to go to "the other side of the earth" where he will never see Anna again.
5. How does Burke feel about himself when he returns to the cabin to Anna after two days of drinking and fighting?
6. Why has Anna come to New York City?
7. How does Chris respond to Anna's accusations that he abandoned her?
8. Describe Burke's physical appearance when he returns to the cabin to speak with Anna after their argument.
9. What is Anna's state of mind at the beginning of Act 3?
10. Describe Chris's appearance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Anna change in this play? What helps create her transformation? Use textual examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Burke's impact on Anna. How does he influence her in a positive way? How does she see him as a worthwhile man?
Essay Topic 3
When Burke hears about Anna's past life, he blames her for destroying him. In your opinion, what does this reveal about Burke's character? Does his harsh judgment of Anna's past behavior reflect on him poorly? Why or why not?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)