Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chris react when he sees Anna and Burke talking?
2. What does Larry ask Chris when he orders a glass of wine?
3. What harbor was Burke's steamer headed to?
4. What does Larry suggest that Chris do after he arrives at the bar?
5. Why does Anna want to stay out on the deck at night at the beginning of Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Chris and Burke behaving that makes Anna feel like a piece of furniture?
2. Why does Chris change his mind and tell Burke him and Anna should marry after all?
3. How does Larry while at the bar treat Chris?
4. Does Chris think it is a good idea for Anna to travel out to sea on his barge?
5. How does Chris plan to help support Anna?
6. What is Anna's reaction when she returns from the docks to the cabin and finds Burke there?
7. What is Anna's viewpoint on the reality of being a sailor's wife?
8. What is Anna's state of mind at the beginning of Act 3?
9. Why has the playwright chosen fog as a setting detail in Act 4?
10. Why does Chris not see Anna from the time she was five?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of man versus nature in Anna Christie. How does Burke describe his survival at sea? What stories does Chris share about men overcoming the challenges of the sea?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the play is titled "Anna Christie"? What is the significance of using the name Anna chose in her past life? How does this title suggest that Anna's life should not just be considered in terms of her present, but also in terms of her past?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of fog in the play. How does O'Neill use it as a metaphor for both opportunity and uncertainty?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)