|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Anna just been released from at the beginning of the play?
2. Why does Anna want to stay out on the deck at night at the beginning of Act 2?
3. What does Larry ask Chris when he orders a glass of wine?
4. Who is described as having choirboy looks?
5. Where does Anna help Burke move to at the end of Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Burke feel about himself when he returns to the cabin to Anna after two days of drinking and fighting?
2. Describe what Anna reveals about her past to Chris and Burke.
3. How do the playwright and her father describe Anna?
4. Describe Chris's reaction to seeing Anna and Burke in conversation.
5. Why does Chris not see Anna from the time she was five?
6. Describe the crucifix that Burke uses so Anna can swear that he is the only man she has ever loved.
7. Does Chris think it is a good idea for Anna to travel out to sea on his barge?
8. What is Anna's viewpoint on the reality of being a sailor's wife?
9. What important information does Anna learn about her father from Marthy?
10. Why does Burke propose to Anna after just a short acquaintance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of person is Anna? How does she bring out the best in Chris and Burke? Does she seem like a strong person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does the ending of the play reveal a feeling of foreboding? What do Burke and Chris say about their future on the sea? Does Anna sense this foreboding and choose to ignore it? How?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Anna's childhood and life in St. Paul. What led her to run away and eventually become a prostitute? What are her feelings about men in general before she meets Burke?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)