|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chris call himself in Act 2 for bringing Anna on the voyage?
2. What job at sea does Burke mention as paying enough so he could afford a little house?
3. What does Anna do at the beginning of the play when Chris leaves the room and goes to order the wine?
4. What is the playwright's description of Anna when she first enters the bar?
5. How tall is Burke?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chris's reaction to seeing Anna and Burke in conversation.
2. How does Chris respond to Anna's accusations that he abandoned her?
3. Why does Anna need to rest up and relax?
4. What is Anna planning at the beginning of Act 4?
5. Does Anna seem uncertain about living with her father?
6. Describe Burke's appearance.
7. Why does Anna tells Burke "good-by" after saying she loves him?
8. What is Chris's reaction to receiving a letter from Anna?
9. What does Burke say about the other sailors in the rowboat?
10. Describe Burke's response to Anna's comments that she has changed.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Chris takes responsibilities for his past failures? What does it say about him that he covers his ears when Anna is telling him about the horrors of her past? How does he accept responsibility in the final Act of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Does it seem believable that Burke concluded that he wanted to marry Anna after such a short acquaintance? How does a romantic vision fuel his decision? Do you think he knows Anna well enough to determine the kind of person she is? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Chris not want Anna to marry Burke? What does he worry about if she marries a sailor? How does his own personal experience with marriage color his attitude about sea faring men and their wives?
This section contains 1,594 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)