Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chris react when he sees Anna and Burke talking?
2. What does Larry ask Chris when he orders a glass of wine?
3. What harbor was Burke's steamer headed to?
4. What does Larry suggest that Chris do after he arrives at the bar?
5. Why does Anna want to stay out on the deck at night at the beginning of Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Chris and Burke behaving that makes Anna feel like a piece of furniture?
2. Why does Chris change his mind and tell Burke him and Anna should marry after all?
3. How does Larry while at the bar treat Chris?
4. Does Chris think it is a good idea for Anna to travel out to sea on his barge?
5. How does Chris plan to help support Anna?
6. What is Anna's reaction when she returns from the docks to the cabin and finds Burke there?
7. What is Anna's viewpoint on the reality of being a sailor's wife?
8. What is Anna's state of mind at the beginning of Act 3?
9. Why has the playwright chosen fog as a setting detail in Act 4?
10. Why does Chris not see Anna from the time she was five?
Identify the central conflict between Burke and Chris. What intensifies their anger and causes them to lash out at each other? Provide textual examples to explain their conflict and how they resolve it.
Do you think Chris takes responsibilities for his past failures? What does it say about him that he covers his ears when Anna is telling him about the horrors of her past? How does he accept responsibility in the final Act of the play?
Does it seem believable that Burke concluded that he wanted to marry Anna after such a short acquaintance? How does a romantic vision fuel his decision? Do you think he knows Anna well enough to determine the kind of person she is? Why or why not?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)