Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chris react when he sees Anna and Burke talking?
2. What does Larry ask Chris when he orders a glass of wine?
3. What harbor was Burke's steamer headed to?
4. What does Larry suggest that Chris do after he arrives at the bar?
5. Why does Anna want to stay out on the deck at night at the beginning of Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Chris and Burke behaving that makes Anna feel like a piece of furniture?
2. Why does Chris change his mind and tell Burke him and Anna should marry after all?
3. How does Larry while at the bar treat Chris?
4. Does Chris think it is a good idea for Anna to travel out to sea on his barge?
5. How does Chris plan to help support Anna?
6. What is Anna's reaction when she returns from the docks to the cabin and finds Burke there?
7. What is Anna's viewpoint on the reality of being a sailor's wife?
8. What is Anna's state of mind at the beginning of Act 3?
9. Why has the playwright chosen fog as a setting detail in Act 4?
10. Why does Chris not see Anna from the time she was five?
Essay Topic 1
Exploitation of women is evident in Anna Christie. How does O'Neill present this theme in the play, and how does Anna fight against it?
Essay Topic 2
How does Anna change in this play? What helps create her transformation? Use textual examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
Does it seem believable that Burke concluded that he wanted to marry Anna after such a short acquaintance? How does a romantic vision fuel his decision? Do you think he knows Anna well enough to determine the kind of person she is? Why or why not?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)