|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Anna's profession in the last city she lived?
2. What is Mat Burke wearing when Anna first sees him?
3. What does Burke compare Anna to in Act 2 when he sees her for the first time?
4. What word does Chris ask Anna if she knows at the end of Act 1?
5. What does Marthy reveal to Anna?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Anna have a good experience living on her cousins' farm?
2. How does Chris describe his family's history as sailors?
3. What is Anna's state of mind at the beginning of Act 3?
4. What is Chris's reaction to receiving a letter from Anna?
5. Why does Anna need to rest up and relax?
6. What does Chris do when he is alone in the cabin after Anna leaves to walk to the end of the dock?
7. How does Larry while at the bar treat Chris?
8. In what way does Anna say she has changed after she tells Chris and Burke about her past?
9. What is Anna's viewpoint on the reality of being a sailor's wife?
10. Does Anna seem uncertain about living with her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Chris takes responsibilities for his past failures? What does it say about him that he covers his ears when Anna is telling him about the horrors of her past? How does he accept responsibility in the final Act of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Burke returns to talk with Anna again. What is he hoping he will hear from her? How does he take a leap of faith and believe her when she says she has never loved another man? How does he need to believe he has changed her in order to love her?
Essay Topic 3
When Burke hears about Anna's past life, he blames her for destroying him. In your opinion, what does this reveal about Burke's character? Does his harsh judgment of Anna's past behavior reflect on him poorly? Why or why not?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)