|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chris ask Anna to get from the cabin in Act 2?
2. How tall is Burke?
3. What is the playwright's description of Anna when she first enters the bar?
4. What does Chris call himself in Act 2 for bringing Anna on the voyage?
5. What does Marthy reveal to Anna?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Burke boast about to Anna?
2. What is Anna's viewpoint on the reality of being a sailor's wife?
3. Why does Chris not see Anna from the time she was five?
4. How does Burke behave toward Anna before he finds out she is the captain's daughter?
5. Why does Anna need to rest up and relax?
6. Describe Chris and Anna's reunion.
7. Why does Chris try to dissuade Anna from liking life at sea?
8. Describe Anna's experience of being at sea.
9. What is Burke's response to Anna's revelation about her past life?
10. What is Anna's reaction when she returns from the docks to the cabin and finds Burke there?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Chris's view of the sea and its "dirty ole tricks." Why does he blame his problems on the sea?
Essay Topic 2
When Burke hears about Anna's past life, he blames her for destroying him. In your opinion, what does this reveal about Burke's character? Does his harsh judgment of Anna's past behavior reflect on him poorly? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the central conflict between Burke and Chris. What intensifies their anger and causes them to lash out at each other? Provide textual examples to explain their conflict and how they resolve it.
This section contains 1,533 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)