|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Burke is boasting about his strength and courage in Act 2, what does Anna say to him?
2. How does Anna act when Chris returns with her drink in Act 1?
3. What is Chris's physical state when he is at the bar in the beginning of the play?
4. What gesture does Chris make at the sea at the end of Act 2?
5. What does Anna do at the beginning of the play when Chris leaves the room and goes to order the wine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Anna and Chris celebrate their reunion?
2. What is Chris's reaction to receiving a letter from Anna?
3. How do the playwright and her father describe Anna?
4. What is Anna's impression of the fog at the beginning of Act 2?
5. How does Burke feel about himself when he returns to the cabin to Anna after two days of drinking and fighting?
6. Describe Chris's reaction to the news that Anna and Burke have resolved their conflict and will wed the next morning.
7. Describe Burke's appearance.
8. How are Chris and Burke behaving that makes Anna feel like a piece of furniture?
9. How does Chris plan to help support Anna?
10. What does Anna have to say to Burke when he accuses Anna of being in love with the men from her past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of man versus nature in Anna Christie. How does Burke describe his survival at sea? What stories does Chris share about men overcoming the challenges of the sea?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Marthy's character. How does she seem to be a person of strength and compassion? In what ways does she show her thoughtfulness toward Chris when Anna arrives in New York?
Essay Topic 3
Exploitation of women is evident in Anna Christie. How does O'Neill present this theme in the play, and how does Anna fight against it?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)