|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chris ask Anna to get from the cabin in Act 2?
2. What did Anna travel in to visit Chris?
3. What is the first question that Marthy asks Anna at the bar?
4. Who is described as having choirboy looks?
5. According to Marthy, what does Chris think of Anna?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Burke visits the cabin during Act 3 and finds Chris there?
2. Does Burke believe he had a hand in changing Anna?
3. Describe Burke's physical appearance when he returns to the cabin to speak with Anna after their argument.
4. Describe Chris's physical and emotional state when he returns to the cabin after two days.
5. Why does Burke propose to Anna after just a short acquaintance?
6. What important information does Anna learn about her father from Marthy?
7. What is the setting of Act 1?
8. What is Anna's initial reaction when she sees Burke?
9. Why does Chris change his mind and tell Burke him and Anna should marry after all?
10. Describe Anna's response when Burke asks what work she does when she is not sailing with her father.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of fog in the play. How does O'Neill use it as a metaphor for both opportunity and uncertainty?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Anna reveal the secret of her past to Burke and Chris? What does she say she was going to do instead? What are the consequences of her revelation?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Chris takes responsibilities for his past failures? What does it say about him that he covers his ears when Anna is telling him about the horrors of her past? How does he accept responsibility in the final Act of the play?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)