|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Chris's barge?
2. What gesture does Chris make at the sea at the end of Act 2?
3. What happens when Anna pushes Burke away from her?
4. What does Chris say will help Anna get strong and healthy?
5. When Chris is talking to Anna with Marthy, how old does he think she is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the playwright and her father describe Anna?
2. Describe Anna's experience of being at sea.
3. What is Chris's reaction to receiving a letter from Anna?
4. Why has Anna come to New York City?
5. Describe Anna's reaction to how Burke keeps his promise to go to "the other side of the earth" where he will never see Anna again.
6. Why does Chris change his mind and tell Burke him and Anna should marry after all?
7. How are Burke and Chris's thoughts on setting off to sea different from Anna?
8. Does Burke believe he had a hand in changing Anna?
9. How do Anna and Chris celebrate their reunion?
10. Describe Chris and Anna's reunion.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of fog in the play. How does O'Neill use it as a metaphor for both opportunity and uncertainty?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Chris not want Anna to marry Burke? What does he worry about if she marries a sailor? How does his own personal experience with marriage color his attitude about sea faring men and their wives?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Anna reveal the secret of her past to Burke and Chris? What does she say she was going to do instead? What are the consequences of her revelation?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)