|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Marthy, what does Chris think of Anna?
2. What happened to the sailors' steamer in Act 2?
3. What does Chris call the men in his family who chose to become sailors?
4. What does Marthy say about Chris's view of farm life?
5. What does Burke say men must be to wed girls like Anna?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Chris think it is a good idea for Anna to travel out to sea on his barge?
2. What is Anna's viewpoint on the reality of being a sailor's wife?
3. What is Burke's response to Anna's revelation about her past life?
4. What is Anna's reaction when she returns from the docks to the cabin and finds Burke there?
5. Why does Anna blame Chris for her terrible past experiences?
6. How are Chris and Burke behaving that makes Anna feel like a piece of furniture?
7. Why does Burke propose to Anna after just a short acquaintance?
8. How do the playwright and her father describe Anna?
9. Describe Chris's physical and emotional state when he returns to the cabin after two days.
10. Why does Chris try to dissuade Anna from liking life at sea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the play is titled "Anna Christie"? What is the significance of using the name Anna chose in her past life? How does this title suggest that Anna's life should not just be considered in terms of her present, but also in terms of her past?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of person is Anna? How does she bring out the best in Chris and Burke? Does she seem like a strong person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Chris's view of the sea and its "dirty ole tricks." Why does he blame his problems on the sea?
This section contains 1,614 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)