|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what season does the beginning of the play take place?
2. What time does Chris say five bells is?
3. What does Anna think that Chris does for a living when she is talking with Marthy?
4. What is Larry reading behind the bar when Chris orders a glass of wine for Anna?
5. What was Anna's profession in the last city she lived?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chris and Anna's reunion.
2. Why does Anna blame Chris for her terrible past experiences?
3. What is Anna's viewpoint on the reality of being a sailor's wife?
4. Describe Burke's physical appearance when he returns to the cabin to speak with Anna after their argument.
5. What does Burke boast about to Anna?
6. Why does Chris not see Anna from the time she was five?
7. Does Anna seem uncertain about living with her father?
8. Describe Chris's reaction to seeing Anna and Burke in conversation.
9. Why does Anna need to rest up and relax?
10. Describe Anna's experience of being at sea.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of man versus nature in Anna Christie. How does Burke describe his survival at sea? What stories does Chris share about men overcoming the challenges of the sea?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the ways in which you see Anna acting as an independent woman who can take care of herself. What is her reaction when Chris and Burke begin ordering her around? Provide textual examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the play is titled "Anna Christie"? What is the significance of using the name Anna chose in her past life? How does this title suggest that Anna's life should not just be considered in terms of her present, but also in terms of her past?
This section contains 1,538 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)