|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Chris's physical state when he is at the bar in the beginning of the play?
2. What does Anna hope to achieve by visiting Chris?
3. What does Marthy reveal to Anna?
4. What kind of job does Anna tell Burke she has?
5. What is the first question that Marthy asks Anna at the bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the playwright and her father describe Anna?
2. How does Anna stand up for herself against Burke?
3. What is Anna's initial reaction when she sees Burke?
4. What does Chris do when he is alone in the cabin after Anna leaves to walk to the end of the dock?
5. What is Burke's response to Anna's revelation about her past life?
6. How does Chris describe his family's history as sailors?
7. What is the setting of Act 1?
8. Why does Chris change his mind and tell Burke him and Anna should marry after all?
9. What is Anna planning at the beginning of Act 4?
10. What is Anna's state of mind at the beginning of Act 3?
Essay Topic 1
What kind of person is Anna? How does she bring out the best in Chris and Burke? Does she seem like a strong person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of man versus nature in Anna Christie. How does Burke describe his survival at sea? What stories does Chris share about men overcoming the challenges of the sea?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of forgiveness in Anna Christie. Do you think Anna easily forgives her father for his failure to protect her as a child? Why does Anna tell Burke he must forgive and forget?
This section contains 1,552 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)