|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Larry ask Chris when he orders a glass of wine?
2. What color eyes does Chris Christopherson have?
3. Who do all the women in Chris's family marry?
4. Why does Anna want to stay out on the deck at night at the beginning of Act 2?
5. What does Chris ask Anna to get from the cabin in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Anna tells Burke "good-by" after saying she loves him?
2. Why has the playwright chosen fog as a setting detail in Act 4?
3. What does Anna have to say to Burke when he accuses Anna of being in love with the men from her past?
4. Describe what Anna reveals about her past to Chris and Burke.
5. What is Anna's viewpoint on the reality of being a sailor's wife?
6. What does Burke say about the other sailors in the rowboat?
7. Describe Marthy and Chris's relationship.
8. How are Chris and Burke behaving that makes Anna feel like a piece of furniture?
9. What is the setting of Act 1?
10. Describe Burke's physical appearance when he returns to the cabin to speak with Anna after their argument.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Anna change in this play? What helps create her transformation? Use textual examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of forgiveness in Anna Christie. Do you think Anna easily forgives her father for his failure to protect her as a child? Why does Anna tell Burke he must forgive and forget?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of fog in the play. How does O'Neill use it as a metaphor for both opportunity and uncertainty?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)