|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Anna's hair?
2. What does Burke compare Anna to in Act 2 when he sees her for the first time?
3. When Burke is boasting about his strength and courage in Act 2, what does Anna say to him?
4. What is Larry's job?
5. What kind of wine does Chris order for Anna in the bar when they are first reunited?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chris describe his family's history as sailors?
2. Why does Burke propose to Anna after just a short acquaintance?
3. What is Anna's reaction when she returns from the docks to the cabin and finds Burke there?
4. Why has the playwright chosen fog as a setting detail in Act 4?
5. Why does Chris change his mind and tell Burke him and Anna should marry after all?
6. What does Chris do when he is alone in the cabin after Anna leaves to walk to the end of the dock?
7. How does Chris plan to help support Anna?
8. Describe Chris's physical and emotional state when he returns to the cabin after two days.
9. What is Anna's viewpoint on the reality of being a sailor's wife?
10. What is Anna planning at the beginning of Act 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Discuss the theme of forgiveness in Anna Christie. Do you think Anna easily forgives her father for his failure to protect her as a child? Why does Anna tell Burke he must forgive and forget?
Essay Topic 2Discuss Chris's view of the sea and its "dirty ole tricks." Why does he blame his problems on the sea?
Essay Topic 3Do you think Chris takes responsibilities for his past failures? What does it say about him that he covers his ears when Anna is telling him about the horrors of her past? How does he accept responsibility in the final Act of the play?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)