|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burke do to Anna's hand when he shakes it?
2. What does Burke describe as "quick and clane"?
3. Who does Anna say gives you a "kick when you're down"?
4. What is the relationship between Chris and Anna?
5. When Burke is boasting about his strength and courage in Act 2, what does Anna say to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has the playwright chosen fog as a setting detail in Act 4?
2. Describe Chris's appearance.
3. How does Burke behave toward Anna before he finds out she is the captain's daughter?
4. What is the setting of Act 1?
5. What important information does Anna learn about her father from Marthy?
6. Does Anna seem uncertain about living with her father?
7. Describe Burke's physical appearance when he returns to the cabin to speak with Anna after their argument.
8. Why does Chris not see Anna from the time she was five?
9. How does Larry while at the bar treat Chris?
10. Describe Anna's experience of being at sea.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Anna change in this play? What helps create her transformation? Use textual examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Burke returns to talk with Anna again. What is he hoping he will hear from her? How does he take a leap of faith and believe her when she says she has never loved another man? How does he need to believe he has changed her in order to love her?
Essay Topic 3
When Burke hears about Anna's past life, he blames her for destroying him. In your opinion, what does this reveal about Burke's character? Does his harsh judgment of Anna's past behavior reflect on him poorly? Why or why not?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)