|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Burke think that Anna is on the barge?
2. What does Burke say about Anna when he first sees her?
3. Who does Anna say gives you a "kick when you're down"?
4. What job at sea does Burke mention as paying enough so he could afford a little house?
5. What does Burke do to Anna's hand when he shakes it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Anna's viewpoint on the reality of being a sailor's wife?
2. What is Anna's impression of the fog at the beginning of Act 2?
3. Does Anna have a good experience living on her cousins' farm?
4. Describe Anna's reaction to Burke's marriage proposal.
5. What references does Burke make about fog at the end of Act 2?
6. What is Burke's response to Anna's revelation about her past life?
7. How does Anna stand up for herself against Burke?
8. What is Anna's initial reaction when she sees Burke?
9. What does Anna have to say to Burke when he accuses Anna of being in love with the men from her past?
10. Describe Chris's appearance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Exploitation of women is evident in Anna Christie. How does O'Neill present this theme in the play, and how does Anna fight against it?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Marthy's character. How does she seem to be a person of strength and compassion? In what ways does she show her thoughtfulness toward Chris when Anna arrives in New York?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Burke's impact on Anna. How does he influence her in a positive way? How does she see him as a worthwhile man?
This section contains 1,454 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)