Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chris react when he sees Anna and Burke talking?
2. What does Larry ask Chris when he orders a glass of wine?
3. What harbor was Burke's steamer headed to?
4. What does Larry suggest that Chris do after he arrives at the bar?
5. Why does Anna want to stay out on the deck at night at the beginning of Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Chris and Burke behaving that makes Anna feel like a piece of furniture?
2. Why does Chris change his mind and tell Burke him and Anna should marry after all?
3. How does Larry while at the bar treat Chris?
4. Does Chris think it is a good idea for Anna to travel out to sea on his barge?
5. How does Chris plan to help support Anna?
6. What is Anna's reaction when she returns from the docks to the cabin and finds Burke there?
7. What is Anna's viewpoint on the reality of being a sailor's wife?
8. What is Anna's state of mind at the beginning of Act 3?
9. Why has the playwright chosen fog as a setting detail in Act 4?
10. Why does Chris not see Anna from the time she was five?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Anna's childhood and life in St. Paul. What led her to run away and eventually become a prostitute? What are her feelings about men in general before she meets Burke?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the central conflict between Burke and Chris. What intensifies their anger and causes them to lash out at each other? Provide textual examples to explain their conflict and how they resolve it.
Essay Topic 3
How does the ending of the play reveal a feeling of foreboding? What do Burke and Chris say about their future on the sea? Does Anna sense this foreboding and choose to ignore it? How?
This section contains 1,558 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)