|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anna's opinion about the fog?
2. Where does Anna live after her mother's death?
3. What happened to the sailors' steamer in Act 2?
4. What does Chris call the men in his family who chose to become sailors?
5. What is Chris's title?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Burke say about the other sailors in the rowboat?
2. What does Chris do when he is alone in the cabin after Anna leaves to walk to the end of the dock?
3. Describe the crucifix that Burke uses so Anna can swear that he is the only man she has ever loved.
4. How does Burke feel about himself when he returns to the cabin to Anna after two days of drinking and fighting?
5. Why does Chris change his mind and tell Burke him and Anna should marry after all?
6. What is Anna planning at the beginning of Act 4?
7. How does Chris describe his family's history as sailors?
8. What is Anna's initial reaction when she sees Burke?
9. Does Chris take control of the situation when the sailor Mat Burke shouts for rescue?
10. How does Larry while at the bar treat Chris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Anna change in this play? What helps create her transformation? Use textual examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Chris takes responsibilities for his past failures? What does it say about him that he covers his ears when Anna is telling him about the horrors of her past? How does he accept responsibility in the final Act of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the play is titled "Anna Christie"? What is the significance of using the name Anna chose in her past life? How does this title suggest that Anna's life should not just be considered in terms of her present, but also in terms of her past?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)