|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Anna's profession in the last city she lived?
2. Where does Anna live after her mother's death?
3. What time does Chris say five bells is?
4. What does Anna do at the beginning of the play when Chris leaves the room and goes to order the wine?
5. How long ago did Chris last see Anna?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Anna have a good experience living on her cousins' farm?
2. Why does Chris change his mind and tell Burke him and Anna should marry after all?
3. Describe the moment when Burke and Anna express their love for each other in Act 3.
4. Describe what Anna reveals about her past to Chris and Burke.
5. Describe Marthy and Chris's relationship.
6. Describe Chris and Anna's reunion.
7. How do Anna and Chris celebrate their reunion?
8. Why has Anna come to New York City?
9. Describe Burke's physical appearance when he returns to the cabin to speak with Anna after their argument.
10. How does Anna respond when Burke asks her if her past was all a lie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of forgiveness in Anna Christie. Do you think Anna easily forgives her father for his failure to protect her as a child? Why does Anna tell Burke he must forgive and forget?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the ways in which you see Anna acting as an independent woman who can take care of herself. What is her reaction when Chris and Burke begin ordering her around? Provide textual examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
How does the ending of the play reveal a feeling of foreboding? What do Burke and Chris say about their future on the sea? Does Anna sense this foreboding and choose to ignore it? How?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)