|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chris is talking to Anna with Marthy, how old does he think she is?
2. What is the playwright's description of Anna when she first enters the bar?
3. What does Burke say about Anna when he first sees her?
4. Where do Anna and her mother move to?
5. What does Chris ask Anna to get from the cabin in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Chris change his mind and tell Burke him and Anna should marry after all?
2. Describe Anna's experience of being at sea.
3. Does Anna have a good experience living on her cousins' farm?
4. What is Anna planning at the beginning of Act 4?
5. What is Anna's impression of the fog at the beginning of Act 2?
6. Why does Chris not see Anna from the time she was five?
7. Describe Chris and Anna's reunion.
8. Why does Burke propose to Anna after just a short acquaintance?
9. How do Anna and Chris celebrate their reunion?
10. Describe the crucifix that Burke uses so Anna can swear that he is the only man she has ever loved.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the central conflict between Burke and Chris. What intensifies their anger and causes them to lash out at each other? Provide textual examples to explain their conflict and how they resolve it.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Marthy's character. How does she seem to be a person of strength and compassion? In what ways does she show her thoughtfulness toward Chris when Anna arrives in New York?
Essay Topic 3
How does the ending of the play reveal a feeling of foreboding? What do Burke and Chris say about their future on the sea? Does Anna sense this foreboding and choose to ignore it? How?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)