|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Chris's barge?
2. When Chris is talking to Anna with Marthy, how old does he think she is?
3. How does Larry respond when Chris orders a drink for himself at the end of Act 1?
4. What time does Chris say five bells is?
5. When Chris returns to the bar, what does Marthy do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Anna's reaction to how Burke keeps his promise to go to "the other side of the earth" where he will never see Anna again.
2. Describe Anna's reaction to Burke's marriage proposal.
3. How does Burke behave toward Anna before he finds out she is the captain's daughter?
4. How does Burke feel about himself when he returns to the cabin to Anna after two days of drinking and fighting?
5. Why does Anna need to rest up and relax?
6. What is Anna's viewpoint on the reality of being a sailor's wife?
7. How does Chris describe his family's history as sailors?
8. What does Chris do when he is alone in the cabin after Anna leaves to walk to the end of the dock?
9. How does Chris respond to Anna's accusations that he abandoned her?
10. How do the playwright and her father describe Anna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Chris not want Anna to marry Burke? What does he worry about if she marries a sailor? How does his own personal experience with marriage color his attitude about sea faring men and their wives?
Essay Topic 2
How does Anna change in this play? What helps create her transformation? Use textual examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the play is titled "Anna Christie"? What is the significance of using the name Anna chose in her past life? How does this title suggest that Anna's life should not just be considered in terms of her present, but also in terms of her past?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)