Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chris react when he sees Anna and Burke talking?
2. What does Larry ask Chris when he orders a glass of wine?
3. What harbor was Burke's steamer headed to?
4. What does Larry suggest that Chris do after he arrives at the bar?
5. Why does Anna want to stay out on the deck at night at the beginning of Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Chris and Burke behaving that makes Anna feel like a piece of furniture?
2. Why does Chris change his mind and tell Burke him and Anna should marry after all?
3. How does Larry while at the bar treat Chris?
4. Does Chris think it is a good idea for Anna to travel out to sea on his barge?
5. How does Chris plan to help support Anna?
6. What is Anna's reaction when she returns from the docks to the cabin and finds Burke there?
7. What is Anna's viewpoint on the reality of being a sailor's wife?
8. What is Anna's state of mind at the beginning of Act 3?
9. Why has the playwright chosen fog as a setting detail in Act 4?
10. Why does Chris not see Anna from the time she was five?
Essay Topic 1
How does the ending of the play reveal a feeling of foreboding? What do Burke and Chris say about their future on the sea? Does Anna sense this foreboding and choose to ignore it? How?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of forgiveness in Anna Christie. Do you think Anna easily forgives her father for his failure to protect her as a child? Why does Anna tell Burke he must forgive and forget?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of man versus nature in Anna Christie. How does Burke describe his survival at sea? What stories does Chris share about men overcoming the challenges of the sea?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)