|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Larry respond when Chris orders a drink for himself at the end of Act 1?
2. Where has Anna just been released from at the beginning of the play?
3. What does Chris call the men in his family who chose to become sailors?
4. What does Marthy reveal to Anna?
5. What is the name of Chris's barge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Anna's reaction when she returns from the docks to the cabin and finds Burke there?
2. Why does Burke propose to Anna after just a short acquaintance?
3. How does Anna respond when Burke asks her if her past was all a lie?
4. How do the playwright and her father describe Anna?
5. Describe Chris and Anna's reunion.
6. Why does Anna need to rest up and relax?
7. Describe Anna's reaction to how Burke keeps his promise to go to "the other side of the earth" where he will never see Anna again.
8. Describe the moment when Burke and Anna express their love for each other in Act 3.
9. What is Anna's initial reaction when she sees Burke?
10. How do Anna and Chris celebrate their reunion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Marthy's character. How does she seem to be a person of strength and compassion? In what ways does she show her thoughtfulness toward Chris when Anna arrives in New York?
Essay Topic 2
How does Anna change in this play? What helps create her transformation? Use textual examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Chris not want Anna to marry Burke? What does he worry about if she marries a sailor? How does his own personal experience with marriage color his attitude about sea faring men and their wives?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)