|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mat Burke wearing when Anna first sees him?
(a) Dirty dungarees.
(b) Long underwear.
(c) Shirt and nice pair of pants.
(d) Shorts and sandals.
2. What happens when Anna pushes Burke away from her?
(a) He walks away and doesn't speak to her.
(b) He squeezes her even tighter.
(c) He gets angry.
(d) He falls and hits his head.
3. What is Burke's reaction to Anna's strength?
4. Why does Burke say he got so strong?
(a) Cutting stone out of the quarry.
(b) Lifting fishing nets out of the sea.
(c) Lifting weights at the gym.
(d) Shoveling a million tons of coal since he was a lad.
5. What does Marthy say about Chris's view of farm life?
(a) Is afraid of animals.
(b) Best place for a kid to grow up.
(c) Would like to own a farm.
(d) Too smelly for a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Chris and Anna when Act 2 begins?
2. Why does Burke think that Anna is on the barge?
3. How does Anna feel about being out at sea in the beginning of Act 2?
4. What does Anna hope to achieve by visiting Chris?
5. When Chris asks Larry if he thinks Anna is a pretty girl, how does Larry respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Chris take control of the situation when the sailor Mat Burke shouts for rescue?
2. Describe what Anna reveals about her past to Chris and Burke.
3. What is Burke's response to Anna's revelation about her past life?
4. How does Chris describe his family's history as sailors?
5. What does Burke say about the other sailors in the rowboat?
6. What is Anna's initial reaction when she sees Burke?
7. Describe Anna's reaction to Burke's marriage proposal.
8. Describe Burke's appearance.
9. Describe Anna's experience of being at sea.
10. Why does Burke propose to Anna after just a short acquaintance?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)