|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Chris and Anna?
(b) Second cousins.
2. What does Burke say he would give up if he found a girl to marry him?
(a) Drinking and roving about.
(b) His long hair.
(c) Wearing boots in the house.
(d) Smoking a pipe.
3. How old is Burke?
(b) About thirty.
4. What is a Bo'sun according to Chris?
(b) An officer.
(c) Galley hand.
5. What does Anna do at the beginning of the play when Chris leaves the room and goes to order the wine?
(a) Writes a quick letter.
(b) Picks up her bag and thinks about leaving.
(c) Looks in a mirror and brushes her hair.
(d) Sits back and relaxes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the veins in Burke's forearms look like when he first comes on board the barge?
2. What is Anna's reaction when she first sees Burke seated on the deck?
3. Why does Burke think that Anna is on the barge?
4. Where are Chris and Anna when Act 2 begins?
5. What does Marthy reveal to Anna?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Burke and Chris's thoughts on setting off to sea different from Anna?
2. Describe Burke's response to Anna's comments that she has changed.
3. Why does Anna blame Chris for her terrible past experiences?
4. What does Chris do when he is alone in the cabin after Anna leaves to walk to the end of the dock?
5. Describe Burke's appearance.
6. How do the playwright and her father describe Anna?
7. Describe Chris's physical and emotional state when he returns to the cabin after two days.
8. What is Anna planning at the beginning of Act 4?
9. Why does Chris not see Anna from the time she was five?
10. Why does Chris change his mind and tell Burke him and Anna should marry after all?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)