|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nationality is Burke?
2. What does Larry agree to hold for Chris?
(a) A letter.
(c) Pocket change.
3. What happened to the other sailors in the open boat?
(a) They didn't know how to row.
(b) They couldn't stand up.
(c) They were unconscious.
(d) They had broken arms or fingers.
4. What does Chris say will help Anna get strong and healthy?
(a) Going to a resort.
(b) Getting a massage.
(c) Traveling to the Bahamas.
(d) Spending some time on the barge at sea.
5. What does Anna say to Chris when he comes on to the deck of the barge when she and Burke are talking in Act 2?
(a) She acts jealous of his attention to Burke.
(b) She is friendly.
(c) She resents his bullying tone.
(d) She invites him to join them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the veins in Burke's forearms look like when he first comes on board the barge?
2. When Chris returns to the bar, what does Marthy do?
3. What does Burke say he would give up if he found a girl to marry him?
4. What happened to the sailors' steamer in Act 2?
5. How does Chris react when he sees Anna and Burke talking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Anna's reaction when she returns from the docks to the cabin and finds Burke there?
2. Describe Anna's reaction to how Burke keeps his promise to go to "the other side of the earth" where he will never see Anna again.
3. How does Chris plan to help support Anna?
4. Describe Chris and Anna's reunion.
5. Why does Anna blame Chris for her terrible past experiences?
6. Describe the moment when Burke and Anna express their love for each other in Act 3.
7. What is Chris's reaction to receiving a letter from Anna?
8. What does Burke say about the other sailors in the rowboat?
9. Describe what Anna reveals about her past to Chris and Burke.
10. How does Anna respond when Burke asks her if her past was all a lie?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)