|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Burke say about Anna when he first sees her?
(a) "Is it dreaming I am?"
(b) "Who are you?"
(c) "Where am I?"
(d) "When can I get on land?"
2. How tall is Burke?
(a) Five feet six inches.
(b) Six feet.
(c) Five feet nine inches.
(d) Six feet four inches.
3. How long was Burke rowing the boat without any help?
(a) Two days.
(b) Six days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Ten days.
4. How does Larry respond when Chris orders a drink for himself at the end of Act 1?
(a) "Good choice!"
(b) "You're done."
(c) "What? You don't want a larger size?"
(d) "She's reformin' you already."
5. What does Burke compare Anna to in Act 2 when he sees her for the first time?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Anna's profession in the last city she lived?
2. What does Burke say men must be to wed girls like Anna?
3. How many days were the sailors in the open boat?
4. What does Chris call the men in his family who chose to become sailors?
5. What is Chris's physical state when he is at the bar in the beginning of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chris plan to help support Anna?
2. How do the playwright and her father describe Anna?
3. Why has Anna come to New York City?
4. What is Anna's state of mind at the beginning of Act 3?
5. Does Anna seem uncertain about living with her father?
6. In what way does Anna say she has changed after she tells Chris and Burke about her past?
7. Why does Chris change his mind and tell Burke him and Anna should marry after all?
8. What is Anna's viewpoint on the reality of being a sailor's wife?
9. How are Burke and Chris's thoughts on setting off to sea different from Anna?
10. Describe Anna's experience of being at sea.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)