|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chris react when he sees Anna and Burke talking?
(c) He is in a rage.
2. What is Anna's reaction when Burke proposes?
(a) She runs away from him.
(b) She accepts him immediately.
(c) She politely declines.
(d) She asks him if he is going crazy.
3. What harbor was Burke's steamer headed to?
4. What is Burke's reaction to Anna's strength?
5. When Chris asks Larry if he thinks Anna is a pretty girl, how does Larry respond?
(b) "Sure! A peach."
(c) "I didn't see her."
(d) "She's not my type."
Short Answer Questions
1. What job at sea does Burke mention as paying enough so he could afford a little house?
2. Why does Burke say he got so strong?
3. What does Chris order for himself when he gets Anna a glass of wine?
4. Where does Anna live after her mother's death?
5. How does Marthy describe Chris to Anna?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Chris not see Anna from the time she was five?
2. Describe Burke's physical appearance when he returns to the cabin to speak with Anna after their argument.
3. Why has Anna come to New York City?
4. Describe Chris's reaction to the news that Anna and Burke have resolved their conflict and will wed the next morning.
5. Does Chris think it is a good idea for Anna to travel out to sea on his barge?
6. What is Anna's viewpoint on the reality of being a sailor's wife?
7. How does Burke feel about himself when he returns to the cabin to Anna after two days of drinking and fighting?
8. How are Burke and Chris's thoughts on setting off to sea different from Anna?
9. Describe Chris's reaction to seeing Anna and Burke in conversation.
10. Describe Burke's appearance.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)