|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of job does Burke not want to do on land?
(a) Digging potatoes.
(b) Milking cows.
(c) Being a store clerk.
(d) Working in a bank.
2. How many days were the sailors in the open boat?
(a) Ten days.
(b) One day.
(c) Five days.
(d) Twenty days.
3. What does Burke compare Anna to in Act 2 when he sees her for the first time?
4. What does Chris call the men in his family who chose to become sailors?
5. What does Chris call the sea in Act 2 when he and Anna are talking in the fog?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Chris and Anna?
2. Where does Anna live after her mother's death?
3. What reason does Chris give for never marrying again?
4. What does Burke say he would rather be to Anna than anything else in the world?
5. What did the veins in Burke's forearms look like when he first comes on board the barge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Anna need to rest up and relax?
2. Why does Anna become a prostitute in Minnesota?
3. What important information does Anna learn about her father from Marthy?
4. How does Chris plan to help support Anna?
5. What does Anna have to say to Burke when he accuses Anna of being in love with the men from her past?
6. What is Anna's reaction when she returns from the docks to the cabin and finds Burke there?
7. What is Anna's impression of the fog at the beginning of Act 2?
8. What references does Burke make about fog at the end of Act 2?
9. Describe Marthy and Chris's relationship.
10. Describe Anna's reaction to how Burke keeps his promise to go to "the other side of the earth" where he will never see Anna again.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)