|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gesture does Chris make at the sea at the end of Act 2?
(a) Bows to it reverentially.
(b) Stands before it with open arms.
(c) Claps his hands with joy.
(d) Shakes his fist at it with bitter hatred.
2. What does Burke do to Anna's hand when he shakes it?
(a) Drops it quickly.
(b) Twists it by accident.
(c) Kisses it.
(d) Squeezes it tight.
3. What is the first question that Marthy asks Anna at the bar?
(a) Want a salad?
(b) Want to meet my husband?
(c) How about some music?
(d) Been on a boat?
4. What time does Chris say five bells is?
(a) Half past ten.
(b) Six o'clock.
(c) Twelve thirty.
(d) Two o'clock.
5. What kind of wine does Chris order for Anna in the bar when they are first reunited?
(a) Sauvignon Blanc.
(b) Port wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Anna pushes Burke away from her?
2. What is the name of the bar where Act 1 is set?
3. What job at sea does Burke mention as paying enough so he could afford a little house?
4. What does Anna say to Chris when he comes on to the deck of the barge when she and Burke are talking in Act 2?
5. What did Anna travel in to visit Chris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Anna's reaction to Burke's marriage proposal.
2. Does Anna have a good experience living on her cousins' farm?
3. How does Chris describe his family's history as sailors?
4. Describe Burke's appearance.
5. What is Anna's viewpoint on the reality of being a sailor's wife?
6. How does Larry while at the bar treat Chris?
7. What happens when Burke visits the cabin during Act 3 and finds Chris there?
8. How do Anna and Chris celebrate their reunion?
9. Describe Anna's reaction to how Burke keeps his promise to go to "the other side of the earth" where he will never see Anna again.
10. What is the setting of Act 1?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)