|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Anna's profession in the last city she lived?
2. Why does Burke say he got so strong?
(a) Lifting weights at the gym.
(b) Lifting fishing nets out of the sea.
(c) Shoveling a million tons of coal since he was a lad.
(d) Cutting stone out of the quarry.
3. What does Chris say about fog?
(a) It feels cozy to him.
(b) It gives him goose bumps.
(c) It is one of the sea's dirtiest tricks.
(d) It magnifies sound.
4. What is a Bo'sun according to Chris?
(b) Galley hand.
(d) An officer.
5. When Burke is boasting about his strength and courage in Act 2, what does Anna say to him?
(a) "You had enough time to yourself."
(b) "Gee, you hate yourself, don't you?"
(c) "The ocean must have been pretty."
(d) "You were so busy."
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Anna live after her mother's death?
2. What is Larry reading behind the bar when Chris orders a glass of wine for Anna?
3. What did Anna travel in to visit Chris?
4. What happened to the sailors' steamer in Act 2?
5. What is the playwright's description of Anna when she first enters the bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Larry while at the bar treat Chris?
2. Describe Chris's reaction to the news that Anna and Burke have resolved their conflict and will wed the next morning.
3. Why does Chris change his mind and tell Burke him and Anna should marry after all?
4. What is Anna's reaction when she returns from the docks to the cabin and finds Burke there?
5. What is Anna's state of mind at the beginning of Act 3?
6. What does Burke boast about to Anna?
7. How does Burke behave toward Anna before he finds out she is the captain's daughter?
8. What does Burke say about the other sailors in the rowboat?
9. How does Anna respond when Burke asks her if her past was all a lie?
10. What is Anna's impression of the fog at the beginning of Act 2?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)