|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the stage direction for when Anna drinks her drink at the end of Act 1?
(a) Downs her port at a gulp like a drink of whiskey.
(b) Takes one gulp and spits it out.
(c) Sips modestly at her drink.
(d) Puts a straw in the glass and sips.
2. What does Anna want to learn more about from Marthy?
(a) Marthy's background.
(b) Her father's life.
(c) Her uncle's whereabouts.
(d) The best place to find a job.
3. How long was Burke rowing the boat without any help?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Six days.
4. After Anna tells Burke that Chris is her father, what does he call Chris?
(a) "A good guy."
(b) "The old square--the old Swede, I mean."
(c) "His angel."
(d) "The worst kind of father."
5. Who do all the women in Chris's family marry?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anna's reaction when she first sees Burke seated on the deck?
2. What is Chris's title?
3. When Chris is talking to Anna with Marthy, how old does he think she is?
4. What does Burke say he would rather be to Anna than anything else in the world?
5. When Chris asks Larry if he thinks Anna is a pretty girl, how does Larry respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Anna have a good experience living on her cousins' farm?
2. How do the playwright and her father describe Anna?
3. Why has the playwright chosen fog as a setting detail in Act 4?
4. What is Chris's reaction to receiving a letter from Anna?
5. Describe Marthy and Chris's relationship.
6. What is Anna's reaction when she returns from the docks to the cabin and finds Burke there?
7. Does Burke believe he had a hand in changing Anna?
8. How does Burke feel about himself when he returns to the cabin to Anna after two days of drinking and fighting?
9. Does Chris take control of the situation when the sailor Mat Burke shouts for rescue?
10. How do Anna and Chris celebrate their reunion?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)