|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Anna wish she were in the beginning of Act 3?
(a) New York.
(b) St. Paul.
(d) San Francisco.
2. What does Burke say he is going to do so he will never see Anna again?
(a) Never come to Boston again.
(b) Move to New York.
(c) Live in the jungle.
(d) Ship away on a boat to the other end of the world.
3. What is the weather in Act 4?
(b) Partly cloudy.
4. What does Chris say is a million times worse than being a sailor?
(a) Big city businessman.
(c) Hardware store owner.
5. What does Chris see when he looks out the cabin window into the night at the end of the play?
(b) Sea birds.
(d) Another ship.
6. Where is Anna planning to take the train to when she leaves the barge?
(c) New York.
7. What does Burke say he will take in place of Anna's oath if it turns out not to be a proper one?
(a) Her written statement.
(b) Her word for it.
(c) The decision of a judge.
(d) A letter from a witness.
8. What does Chris do after Anna says to him he should have had her with him when she was a child?
(a) Puts his hands over his ears.
(b) Curses at her.
(c) Waves his hand dismissively.
9. What does Anna say just before throwing herself into a chair and sobbing hysterically in Act 3?
(a) She cannot remember her mother.
(b) She feels sick.
(c) Her favorite necklace is missing.
(d) She hates men.
10. What religion does Chris say his family was in Sweden?
11. Why does Anna push Chris out of the way in Act 3?
(a) She is trying to save him.
(b) She saw Burke was trying to hurt him.
(c) She doesn't want him interfering.
(d) She is afraid for him.
12. Who is the last character on stage at the end of Act 3?
(d) The deckhand.
13. What does Anna tell Burke and Chris that stuns both men in Act 3?
(a) She tried to kill herself.
(b) That she worked in a house of prostitution.
(c) That she had a baby.
(d) She is already married.
14. When does Burke say he and Anna will wed in Act 4?
(a) In three days.
(b) That night.
(d) The next morning.
15. What does Anna say to Burke about Chris going back to sea?
(a) He is cursed and should stay inland.
(b) She does not want him to leave.
(c) It is a great place to fish.
(d) It is where he belongs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chris attack Burke with?
2. What job did Chris get on a steamer that sets sail the next day?
3. What does Anna say about being alone after Burke goes back to sea?
4. What does Burke call Chris when Chris grasps Burke by the arm at the end of Act 3?
5. What is Anna holding but not reading while sitting in the rocking chair in the cabin?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)