|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Burke make Anna swear that she is telling the truth about?
(a) Her age.
(b) Her religion.
(c) He is the only man she has ever loved.
(d) The amount of money she has in the bank.
2. When Chris interrupts Anna and Burke's embrace in Act 4, what does Burke do?
(a) Shakes Chris's hand.
(b) Has a coughing fit.
(c) Is so startled he falls over.
(d) Steps toward Chris in a threatening manner.
3. When does Burke say he and Anna will wed in Act 4?
(a) In three days.
(c) That night.
(d) The next morning.
4. What does Anna do to Chris when she tells him "Don't go to sleep, Old Man!"?
(a) Claps her hands in front of his face.
(b) Slaps him.
(c) Sings loudly to wake him up.
(d) Shakes him violently by the shoulder.
5. Why does Anna think it is funny when Burke tells her he signed up to work on a steamer?
(a) She cannot see him working as a sailor.
(b) It is the same one Chris will be working on.
(c) She is boarding the same steamer for a ride to the next port.
(d) Because she thought he was going to work inland.
6. When Chris returns to the cabin when Anna and Burke are embracing in Act 4, what expression first appears in his eye?
7. What expression does Anna have in her eyes as she looks at Burke when he is rushing toward her in Act 3?
(b) Fearlessness of despair.
8. Who is the last character on stage at the end of Act 3?
(c) The deckhand.
9. What does Anna pound her fists on at the end of Act 3?
10. What does Anna call Chris when she is angry about him making things worse in Act 3?
(a) A Pest.
(d) A devil.
11. What expression is Chris wearing when he returns to the cabin from his bedroom with his tin of beer?
(a) He looks despondent.
(b) A tired one.
(c) A look of gloominess.
(d) He is grinning.
12. What does Chris knock over when he attacks Burke?
13. What is Burke about to do when he stops because he feels very doubtful about Anna's oath in Act 4?
(a) Give Anna some flowers.
(b) Shake her hand.
(c) Leave the cabin.
(d) Kiss Anna.
14. Where does Anna wish she were in the beginning of Act 3?
(a) New York.
(b) San Francisco.
(d) St. Paul.
15. What news does Burke tell Chris in the cabin when Anna is not there?
(a) He has decided to go to college.
(b) He is getting a new job.
(c) His parents are in town.
(d) He will marry Anna by day's end.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burke say he is going to do so he will never see Anna again?
2. How does Chris respond when Burke says to Anna "I'll be killing you now"?
3. What does Anna tell Burke has changed her in Act 3?
4. What has happened to Burke's clothes in Act 4?
5. What does Burke say he would believe about Anna if he were sure she is telling him the truth in Act 4?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)