|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Chris give Burke about why he doesn't want Anna to leave him all alone?
(a) He is old and has not had much time with her.
(b) He has arthritis.
(c) His eyesight is failing.
(d) He has no friends.
2. What does Chris do after Anna says to him he should have had her with him when she was a child?
(a) Curses at her.
(b) Puts his hands over his ears.
(d) Waves his hand dismissively.
3. What does Anna say about being alone after Burke goes back to sea?
(a) She hates it.
(b) She would rather be with everyone on the steamer.
(c) Being alone runs in her family and she will get used to it.
(d) She will not be alone as she plans to stay in a hotel.
4. What does Anna say she will have ready for them when they return from sea?
(a) A little house.
(b) Proper gloves and scarves.
(c) A new suit.
5. What is Burke about to do when he stops because he feels very doubtful about Anna's oath in Act 4?
(a) Leave the cabin.
(b) Shake her hand.
(c) Give Anna some flowers.
(d) Kiss Anna.
6. What did Burke's mother give him when he was young that he says brings him good luck.
(b) Rabbit foot.
7. What does Burke tell Anna that she has done to him after she tells him about her past?
(a) He can no longer pray.
(b) That she has destroyed him.
(c) He feels happy.
(d) She has made him sad.
8. What does Burke say that he and Anna will be happy in spite of?
(a) The devil.
(b) Her worries about being alone.
(c) The curse of the sea.
(d) Her worries that she will not find a house to live in.
9. What does Anna say it is time for Burke and Chris to do at the end of Act 4?
(a) Sing together.
(b) Kiss and make up.
(c) Go out to get some dinner.
(d) Repair the barge.
10. What does Chris say is a million times worse than being a sailor?
(a) Big city businessman.
(b) Hardware store owner.
11. How does Anna describe Paul's physical appearance?
(b) Thin and frail.
(c) Small and weak.
(d) Big and strong.
12. What does Anna call Chris when she is angry about him making things worse in Act 3?
(a) A Pest.
(b) A devil.
13. What does Chris want to leave the barge to go and get at the end of Act 3?
(a) The police.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A drink.
(d) Some air.
14. What does Burke say he would believe about Anna if he were sure she is telling him the truth in Act 4?
(a) That she has changed.
(b) That she just got a job as a newspaper delivery girl.
(c) That she went to college.
(d) That she is still nineteen.
15. What does Burke call Chris when Chris grasps Burke by the arm at the end of Act 3?
(a) Old guy.
(c) Old ape.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chris say he is sorry for when he returns to the cabin and sees Anna with her suitcase?
2. What does Burke have in his hands when he rushes toward Anna in Act 3?
3. What does Chris see when he looks out the cabin window into the night at the end of the play?
4. What does Anna say to Burke about Chris going back to sea?
5. What expression is Chris wearing when he returns to the cabin from his bedroom with his tin of beer?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)