|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Chris returns to the cabin when Anna and Burke are embracing in Act 4, what expression first appears in his eye?
2. What does Chris want to leave the barge to go and get at the end of Act 3?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) The police.
(c) Some air.
(d) A drink.
3. Why does Anna think it is funny when Burke tells her he signed up to work on a steamer?
(a) She cannot see him working as a sailor.
(b) Because she thought he was going to work inland.
(c) She is boarding the same steamer for a ride to the next port.
(d) It is the same one Chris will be working on.
4. When does Burke say he and Anna will wed in Act 4?
(a) The next morning.
(b) In three days.
(d) That night.
5. What does Anna say she will have ready for them when they return from sea?
(a) Proper gloves and scarves.
(b) A little house.
(c) A new suit.
6. What caused the red bruise on Burke's forehead?
(b) Ran into a door.
(c) His hat was too tight.
7. What does Anna accuse Burke and Chris of treating her like when they are arguing over whom is going to give her orders.
(a) A piece of furniture.
(b) The baby of the family.
(c) A doll.
(d) A strong person.
8. What explanation does Burke give for why he and Chris were fighting?
(a) The best name for the barge.
(b) They were arguing about Anna.
9. What does Burke say he would believe about Anna if he were sure she is telling him the truth in Act 4?
(a) That she just got a job as a newspaper delivery girl.
(b) That she has changed.
(c) That she went to college.
(d) That she is still nineteen.
10. What news does Burke tell Chris in the cabin when Anna is not there?
(a) He will marry Anna by day's end.
(b) He has decided to go to college.
(c) His parents are in town.
(d) He is getting a new job.
11. Where is Cape Town located?
(a) South America.
12. How does Anna describe Paul's physical appearance?
(b) Big and strong.
(c) Thin and frail.
(d) Small and weak.
13. What does Chris change his mind about regarding Anna in Act 3?
(a) Anna's chores.
(b) The boat's direction.
(c) His choice of drinks.
(d) That Anna should marry Burke.
14. What does Chris say is a million times worse than being a sailor?
(b) Big city businessman.
(c) Hardware store owner.
15. What does Chris attack Burke with?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chris do after Anna says to him he should have had her with him when she was a child?
2. What expression does Anna have in her eyes as she looks at Burke when he is rushing toward her in Act 3?
3. Where is Anna planning to take the train to when she leaves the barge?
4. What does Anna do to Chris when she tells him "Don't go to sleep, Old Man!"?
5. What does Chris see when he looks out the cabin window into the night at the end of the play?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)