|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What toast does Anna make that Burke drinks to in the last scene of the play?
(a) "Here's to the sea, no matter what!"
(b) "May God smile on you."
(c) "Here's to us!"
2. Why does Anna say that Burke has to go back to sea at the end of the play?
(a) She doesn't have a place for them to live yet.
(b) They will need the money.
(c) She is taking a trip to China.
(d) She wants to be alone.
3. What does Burke say that he and Anna will be happy in spite of?
(a) Her worries that she will not find a house to live in.
(b) The devil.
(c) Her worries about being alone.
(d) The curse of the sea.
4. What does Anna call Burke when he says she was in love with men in St. Paul?
(d) Ridiculous man.
5. What does Chris knock over when he attacks Burke?
6. What reason does Chris give Burke about why he doesn't want Anna to leave him all alone?
(a) His eyesight is failing.
(b) He has no friends.
(c) He has arthritis.
(d) He is old and has not had much time with her.
7. What is Burke about to do when he stops because he feels very doubtful about Anna's oath in Act 4?
(a) Shake her hand.
(b) Give Anna some flowers.
(c) Leave the cabin.
(d) Kiss Anna.
8. What order does Burke give Anna in Act 3?
(a) Be quiet.
(b) Stop whining.
(c) Get dressed quickly so they can go ashore.
(d) Sit down.
9. What does Chris change his mind about regarding Anna in Act 3?
(a) Anna's chores.
(b) That Anna should marry Burke.
(c) His choice of drinks.
(d) The boat's direction.
10. What explanation does Burke give for why he and Chris were fighting?
(a) They were arguing about Anna.
(c) The best name for the barge.
11. What does Burke say he will take in place of Anna's oath if it turns out not to be a proper one?
(a) Her word for it.
(b) The decision of a judge.
(c) A letter from a witness.
(d) Her written statement.
12. What caused the red bruise on Burke's forehead?
(a) Ran into a door.
(c) His hat was too tight.
13. When Chris returns to the cabin when Anna and Burke are embracing in Act 4, what expression first appears in his eye?
14. What does Burke say he needs to drink in order to "wash that black kiss of yours off my lips"?
15. What does Burke call Chris when Chris grasps Burke by the arm at the end of Act 3?
(b) Old ape.
(c) Old guy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chris say he wants to do after he gets his tin of beer from the bedroom?
2. What is the weather in Act 4?
3. What news does Burke tell Chris in the cabin when Anna is not there?
4. What does Chris have in his hand when he returns to the cabin where Anna is waiting with her suitcase?
5. How does Anna describe Paul's physical appearance?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)