|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anna tell Burke and Chris that stuns both men in Act 3?
(a) She tried to kill herself.
(b) That she worked in a house of prostitution.
(c) She is already married.
(d) That she had a baby.
2. What does Anna tell Burke has changed her in Act 3?
(a) Having time to meditate.
(c) The sea.
(d) A new hairstyle.
3. What is Anna's physical appearance when she waits with her packed suitcase?
(c) Pale, tired, and worn.
4. How many days have passed between the end of Act 3 and the beginning of Act 4?
(a) A week.
5. What are Chris and Burke's reactions in Act 4 when Anna informs them about what they will be doing together the next morning?
6. What is the time when Act 4 begins?
(a) 9:00 pm.
(b) 4 pm.
(c) 12:00 am.
(d) 5:00 am.
7. What toast does Anna make that Burke drinks to in the last scene of the play?
(a) "Here's to us!"
(b) "May God smile on you."
(c) "Here's to the sea, no matter what!"
8. What does Anna say it is time for Burke and Chris to do at the end of Act 4?
(a) Kiss and make up.
(b) Repair the barge.
(c) Go out to get some dinner.
(d) Sing together.
9. What does Chris see when he looks out the cabin window into the night at the end of the play?
(b) Sea birds.
(c) Another ship.
10. What does Anna say to Burke about Chris going back to sea?
(a) He is cursed and should stay inland.
(b) She does not want him to leave.
(c) It is where he belongs.
(d) It is a great place to fish.
11. When does Burke say to Anna "To the divil with all other reasons then. They don't matter to me at all"?
(a) Before she reveals her past to him.
(b) Before she kisses him.
(c) After she tells him about her past.
(d) At the end of Act 3.
12. What news does Burke tell Chris in the cabin when Anna is not there?
(a) He has decided to go to college.
(b) He will marry Anna by day's end.
(c) He is getting a new job.
(d) His parents are in town.
13. What does Chris say he wants to do after he gets his tin of beer from the bedroom?
(a) Ask Anna to unlock the safe where she keeps the beer.
(b) Dump his drink into the ocean.
(c) Drink a toast.
(d) Have a party with the other sailors.
14. What does Burke say he is going to do so he will never see Anna again?
(a) Never come to Boston again.
(b) Live in the jungle.
(c) Ship away on a boat to the other end of the world.
(d) Move to New York.
15. What religion does Burke ask if Anna is?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burke say he will take in place of Anna's oath if it turns out not to be a proper one?
2. What expression does Anna have in her eyes as she looks at Burke when he is rushing toward her in Act 3?
3. What does Burke make Anna swear that she is telling the truth about?
4. What does Anna call Burke when he says she was in love with men in St. Paul?
5. What is the setting at the opening of Act 3?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)