|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What expression is Chris wearing when he returns to the cabin from his bedroom with his tin of beer?
(a) A look of gloominess.
(b) A tired one.
(c) He is grinning.
(d) He looks despondent.
2. What job did Chris get on a steamer that sets sail the next day?
3. What does Anna tell Burke has changed her in Act 3?
(a) The sea.
(b) A new hairstyle.
(c) Having time to meditate.
4. When Chris interrupts Anna and Burke's embrace in Act 4, what does Burke do?
(a) Has a coughing fit.
(b) Steps toward Chris in a threatening manner.
(c) Shakes Chris's hand.
(d) Is so startled he falls over.
5. At the end of Act 3, who does Chris blame for having to learn about Anna's past?
(b) Anna's mother.
(c) The sea and its dirty tricks.
(d) The fog.
6. Why does Anna think it is funny when Burke tells her he signed up to work on a steamer?
(a) It is the same one Chris will be working on.
(b) She is boarding the same steamer for a ride to the next port.
(c) She cannot see him working as a sailor.
(d) Because she thought he was going to work inland.
7. When does Burke say to Anna "To the divil with all other reasons then. They don't matter to me at all"?
(a) At the end of Act 3.
(b) Before she reveals her past to him.
(c) Before she kisses him.
(d) After she tells him about her past.
8. What is the weather in Act 3?
9. Why does Anna push Chris out of the way in Act 3?
(a) She doesn't want him interfering.
(b) She saw Burke was trying to hurt him.
(c) She is trying to save him.
(d) She is afraid for him.
10. What are Chris and Burke's reactions in Act 4 when Anna informs them about what they will be doing together the next morning?
11. What does Anna call Burke when he says she was in love with men in St. Paul?
(d) Ridiculous man.
12. What does Anna say she will have ready for them when they return from sea?
(a) A little house.
(c) Proper gloves and scarves.
(d) A new suit.
13. What religion does Burke ask if Anna is?
14. What toast does Anna make that Burke drinks to in the last scene of the play?
(a) "Here's to us!"
(b) "Here's to the sea, no matter what!"
(d) "May God smile on you."
15. What does Burke do to Chris when Chris attacks him?
(a) Shoots him.
(b) Trips him.
(c) Hits him.
(d) Twists his arm behind his back.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Anna return to the cabin after buying a train ticket?
2. What does Anna call Chris when she is angry about him making things worse in Act 3?
3. What does Chris go into his room and retrieve before he leaves the barge in Act 3?
4. What does Chris say is a million times worse than being a sailor?
5. Where is Anna sitting when Act 4 begins?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)