|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Burke say that he and Anna will be happy in spite of?
(a) Her worries about being alone.
(b) The devil.
(c) Her worries that she will not find a house to live in.
(d) The curse of the sea.
2. What does Burke say he would believe about Anna if he were sure she is telling him the truth in Act 4?
(a) That she just got a job as a newspaper delivery girl.
(b) That she has changed.
(c) That she went to college.
(d) That she is still nineteen.
3. What does Anna say to Burke after she has kissed him in Act 3?
(b) "Are you ready to go out now?"
(c) "Let's get married."
4. What does Chris say he wants to do after he gets his tin of beer from the bedroom?
(a) Drink a toast.
(b) Ask Anna to unlock the safe where she keeps the beer.
(c) Have a party with the other sailors.
(d) Dump his drink into the ocean.
5. How does Chris respond when Burke says to Anna "I'll be killing you now"?
(a) "Get off my barge!"
(b) "Call 911!"
(c) "Stop, you crazy fool!"
(d) "You'll have to kill me first!"
6. What does Anna say about being alone after Burke goes back to sea?
(a) Being alone runs in her family and she will get used to it.
(b) She would rather be with everyone on the steamer.
(c) She hates it.
(d) She will not be alone as she plans to stay in a hotel.
7. What does Burke say he is going to do so he will never see Anna again?
(a) Never come to Boston again.
(b) Live in the jungle.
(c) Ship away on a boat to the other end of the world.
(d) Move to New York.
8. When Chris takes off his coat and lets it drop on the floor, what does Anna discover in the pocket?
(b) Scraps of paper.
9. What does Burke tell Anna that she has done to him after she tells him about her past?
(a) She has made him sad.
(b) He can no longer pray.
(c) That she has destroyed him.
(d) He feels happy.
10. What does Burke say he needs to drink in order to "wash that black kiss of yours off my lips"?
11. What does Anna say about her cousin Paul?
(a) She hated him.
(b) He was good to her.
(c) She wants to send him a card.
(d) She misses him.
12. What does Burke have Anna say after she swears that she will never again act the way she had in the past?
(a) "May I be struck by lightning if this is untrue."
(b) "I swear on my life."
(c) "And may the blackest curse of God strike me if I'm lying."
(d) "I will give up my life if this is not truth."
13. Why did Anna return to the cabin after buying a train ticket?
(a) To wait for Burke.
(b) She wanted to leave a note for Chris.
(c) She left her train ticket in her bureau.
(d) She forgot her suitcase.
14. What order does Burke give Anna in Act 3?
(a) Get dressed quickly so they can go ashore.
(b) Stop whining.
(c) Be quiet.
(d) Sit down.
15. What does Anna call Chris when she is angry about him making things worse in Act 3?
(a) A Pest.
(d) A devil.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Anna wish she were in the beginning of Act 3?
2. What does Chris go into his room and retrieve before he leaves the barge in Act 3?
3. Where did Burke's picture appear in Boston?
4. What does Anna tell Burke has changed her in Act 3?
5. What does Burke have in his hands when he rushes toward Anna in Act 3?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)