|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Anna return to the cabin after buying a train ticket?
(a) She left her train ticket in her bureau.
(b) To wait for Burke.
(c) She wanted to leave a note for Chris.
(d) She forgot her suitcase.
2. What does Anna tell Burke has changed her in Act 3?
(a) A new hairstyle.
(b) Having time to meditate.
(c) The sea.
3. When does Burke say to Anna "To the divil with all other reasons then. They don't matter to me at all"?
(a) At the end of Act 3.
(b) Before she reveals her past to him.
(c) After she tells him about her past.
(d) Before she kisses him.
4. When Chris interrupts Anna and Burke's embrace in Act 4, what does Burke do?
(a) Steps toward Chris in a threatening manner.
(b) Shakes Chris's hand.
(c) Has a coughing fit.
(d) Is so startled he falls over.
5. At the end of Act 3, who does Chris blame for having to learn about Anna's past?
(b) The sea and its dirty tricks.
(c) The fog.
(d) Anna's mother.
6. What is Burke about to do when he stops because he feels very doubtful about Anna's oath in Act 4?
(a) Give Anna some flowers.
(b) Shake her hand.
(c) Leave the cabin.
(d) Kiss Anna.
7. What does Burke have Anna say after she swears that she will never again act the way she had in the past?
(a) "May I be struck by lightning if this is untrue."
(b) "And may the blackest curse of God strike me if I'm lying."
(c) "I swear on my life."
(d) "I will give up my life if this is not truth."
8. What reason does Chris give Burke about why he doesn't want Anna to leave him all alone?
(a) He is old and has not had much time with her.
(b) His eyesight is failing.
(c) He has no friends.
(d) He has arthritis.
9. When Chris returns to the cabin when Anna and Burke are embracing in Act 4, what expression first appears in his eye?
10. What sounds can be heard at the beginning of Act 4?
(a) Sea gulls.
(b) Seals barking.
(c) Whistles of steamers.
(d) Shouting of sailors.
11. When does Burke say he and Anna will wed in Act 4?
(a) That night.
(b) In three days.
(d) The next morning.
12. What does Anna say to Burke about Chris going back to sea?
(a) He is cursed and should stay inland.
(b) It is where he belongs.
(c) She does not want him to leave.
(d) It is a great place to fish.
13. What does Anna say just before throwing herself into a chair and sobbing hysterically in Act 3?
(a) She cannot remember her mother.
(b) She hates men.
(c) She feels sick.
(d) Her favorite necklace is missing.
14. How does Anna describe Paul's physical appearance?
(b) Small and weak.
(c) Thin and frail.
(d) Big and strong.
15. Where does Anna go when she leaves the cabin after she tells Chris she will not marry Burke?
(b) End of the dock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What order does Burke give Anna in Act 3?
2. What does Chris plan to do with all the money he makes working on the steamer?
3. What religion does Chris say his family was in Sweden?
4. Why does Anna push Chris out of the way in Act 3?
5. What does Burke tell Anna that she has done to him after she tells him about her past?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)