|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the weather in Act 4?
(c) Partly cloudy.
2. Where did Burke's picture appear in Boston?
(b) On television.
(c) Boston Magazine.
(d) The newspapers.
3. What is Burke about to do when he stops because he feels very doubtful about Anna's oath in Act 4?
(a) Give Anna some flowers.
(b) Kiss Anna.
(c) Leave the cabin.
(d) Shake her hand.
4. What does Chris do after Anna says to him he should have had her with him when she was a child?
(b) Curses at her.
(c) Puts his hands over his ears.
(d) Waves his hand dismissively.
5. What did Burke's mother give him when he was young that he says brings him good luck.
(a) Rabbit foot.
6. What toast does Anna make that Burke drinks to in the last scene of the play?
(a) "Here's to us!"
(b) "May God smile on you."
(c) "Here's to the sea, no matter what!"
7. What does Burke say he will take in place of Anna's oath if it turns out not to be a proper one?
(a) Her written statement.
(b) The decision of a judge.
(c) A letter from a witness.
(d) Her word for it.
8. What is the setting at the opening of Act 3?
(d) New Bedford.
9. When does Burke say to Anna "To the divil with all other reasons then. They don't matter to me at all"?
(a) Before she kisses him.
(b) Before she reveals her past to him.
(c) At the end of Act 3.
(d) After she tells him about her past.
10. What explanation does Burke give for why he and Chris were fighting?
(b) The best name for the barge.
(c) They were arguing about Anna.
11. How many days have passed between the end of Act 3 and the beginning of Act 4?
(a) A week.
12. Where does Anna wish she were in the beginning of Act 3?
(a) New York.
(b) San Francisco.
(d) St. Paul.
13. Who is the last character on stage at the end of Act 3?
(c) The deckhand.
14. What does Chris say he wants to do after he gets his tin of beer from the bedroom?
(a) Ask Anna to unlock the safe where she keeps the beer.
(b) Dump his drink into the ocean.
(c) Have a party with the other sailors.
(d) Drink a toast.
15. Why does Anna tell Chris she will not marry Burke at the beginning of Act 3?
(a) She finds him unattractive.
(b) She doesn't love him.
(c) She doesn't like sailors or the sea.
(d) She is not good enough for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burke say that he and Anna will be happy in spite of?
2. What does Chris have in his hand when he returns to the cabin where Anna is waiting with her suitcase?
3. Why does Anna push Chris out of the way in Act 3?
4. Where is Anna sitting when Act 4 begins?
5. When Chris returns to the cabin when Anna and Burke are embracing in Act 4, what expression first appears in his eye?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)