|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What expression does Anna have in her eyes as she looks at Burke when he is rushing toward her in Act 3?
(d) Fearlessness of despair.
2. What noise does Chris make as he wrings his hands together and begins to weep in Act 3?
(a) Clicking noises.
(b) Harsh growl.
(c) He whimpers like a child.
(d) A Laugh like a seal.
3. What order does Burke give Anna in Act 3?
(a) Sit down.
(b) Be quiet.
(c) Get dressed quickly so they can go ashore.
(d) Stop whining.
4. What are Chris and Burke's reactions in Act 4 when Anna informs them about what they will be doing together the next morning?
5. What is Anna holding but not reading while sitting in the rocking chair in the cabin?
6. What does Burke say he will take in place of Anna's oath if it turns out not to be a proper one?
(a) The decision of a judge.
(b) Her written statement.
(c) A letter from a witness.
(d) Her word for it.
7. What does Anna say about her cousin Paul?
(a) She misses him.
(b) He was good to her.
(c) She hated him.
(d) She wants to send him a card.
8. What has happened to Burke's clothes in Act 4?
(a) They are torn and dirty.
(b) They are newly washed and pressed.
(c) He has spilled white paint on them.
(d) They look bleached from the sun.
9. What does Burke tell Anna that she has done to him after she tells him about her past?
(a) He can no longer pray.
(b) She has made him sad.
(c) That she has destroyed him.
(d) He feels happy.
10. Where is Anna planning to take the train to when she leaves the barge?
(d) New York.
11. What does Chris say is a million times worse than being a sailor?
(a) Big city businessman.
(b) Hardware store owner.
12. What does Burke make Anna swear that she is telling the truth about?
(a) Her religion.
(b) He is the only man she has ever loved.
(c) Her age.
(d) The amount of money she has in the bank.
13. What does Anna say to Burke after she has kissed him in Act 3?
(b) "Are you ready to go out now?"
(d) "Let's get married."
14. How does Anna describe Paul's physical appearance?
(a) Big and strong.
(b) Small and weak.
(d) Thin and frail.
15. What does Chris attack Burke with?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna pound her fists on at the end of Act 3?
2. What does Anna say it is time for Burke and Chris to do at the end of Act 4?
3. What does Burke have Anna say after she swears that she will never again act the way she had in the past?
4. What does Burke say he is going to do so he will never see Anna again?
5. What does Burke say he would believe about Anna if he were sure she is telling him the truth in Act 4?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)