|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused the red bruise on Burke's forehead?
(b) His hat was too tight.
(c) Ran into a door.
2. What is Anna holding but not reading while sitting in the rocking chair in the cabin?
3. What does Anna pound her fists on at the end of Act 3?
4. What does Burke say he is going to do so he will never see Anna again?
(a) Move to New York.
(b) Ship away on a boat to the other end of the world.
(c) Never come to Boston again.
(d) Live in the jungle.
5. What does Anna do to Chris when she tells him "Don't go to sleep, Old Man!"?
(a) Claps her hands in front of his face.
(b) Slaps him.
(c) Sings loudly to wake him up.
(d) Shakes him violently by the shoulder.
6. When Chris takes off his coat and lets it drop on the floor, what does Anna discover in the pocket?
(a) Scraps of paper.
7. What does Burke say he would believe about Anna if he were sure she is telling him the truth in Act 4?
(a) That she went to college.
(b) That she just got a job as a newspaper delivery girl.
(c) That she is still nineteen.
(d) That she has changed.
8. When does Burke say he and Anna will wed in Act 4?
(a) That night.
(b) In three days.
(d) The next morning.
9. How does Anna describe Paul's physical appearance?
(b) Big and strong.
(c) Small and weak.
(d) Thin and frail.
10. What does Chris say is a million times worse than being a sailor?
(a) Hardware store owner.
(d) Big city businessman.
11. Who is the last character on stage at the end of Act 3?
(b) The deckhand.
12. What has happened to Burke's clothes in Act 4?
(a) They look bleached from the sun.
(b) They are torn and dirty.
(c) They are newly washed and pressed.
(d) He has spilled white paint on them.
13. What does Burke say that he and Anna will be happy in spite of?
(a) Her worries about being alone.
(b) The curse of the sea.
(c) The devil.
(d) Her worries that she will not find a house to live in.
14. What are Chris and Burke's reactions in Act 4 when Anna informs them about what they will be doing together the next morning?
15. When Chris returns to the cabin when Anna and Burke are embracing in Act 4, what expression first appears in his eye?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Anna return to the cabin after buying a train ticket?
2. What does Chris have in his hand when he returns to the cabin where Anna is waiting with her suitcase?
3. What does Burke promise Anna so she will not be alone for too long?
4. Where is Anna planning to take the train to when she leaves the barge?
5. Why does Anna say that Burke has to go back to sea at the end of the play?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)