|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What noise does Chris make as he wrings his hands together and begins to weep in Act 3?
(a) He whimpers like a child.
(b) Harsh growl.
(c) A Laugh like a seal.
(d) Clicking noises.
2. What does Burke have Anna say after she swears that she will never again act the way she had in the past?
(a) "May I be struck by lightning if this is untrue."
(b) "And may the blackest curse of God strike me if I'm lying."
(c) "I swear on my life."
(d) "I will give up my life if this is not truth."
3. What does Chris go into his room and retrieve before he leaves the barge in Act 3?
(a) His cap.
4. Why does Anna think it is funny when Burke tells her he signed up to work on a steamer?
(a) Because she thought he was going to work inland.
(b) It is the same one Chris will be working on.
(c) She is boarding the same steamer for a ride to the next port.
(d) She cannot see him working as a sailor.
5. Why does Anna say that Burke has to go back to sea at the end of the play?
(a) She is taking a trip to China.
(b) They will need the money.
(c) She doesn't have a place for them to live yet.
(d) She wants to be alone.
6. What does Anna say about her cousin Paul?
(a) He was good to her.
(b) She hated him.
(c) She misses him.
(d) She wants to send him a card.
7. What does Chris attack Burke with?
8. What does Anna tell Burke has changed her in Act 3?
(a) A new hairstyle.
(b) Having time to meditate.
(d) The sea.
9. What does Chris knock over when he attacks Burke?
10. What does Anna call Burke when he says she was in love with men in St. Paul?
(a) Ridiculous man.
11. What did Burke's mother give him when he was young that he says brings him good luck.
(b) Rabbit foot.
12. Where did Burke's picture appear in Boston?
(a) On television.
(b) The newspapers.
(d) Boston Magazine.
13. What does Burke say he is going to do so he will never see Anna again?
(a) Move to New York.
(b) Ship away on a boat to the other end of the world.
(c) Never come to Boston again.
(d) Live in the jungle.
14. What religion does Burke ask if Anna is?
15. What is the name of the steamer Chris has signed on to work for?
(c) The Knickerbocker.
(d) The Sea Serpent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Chris and Burke's reactions in Act 4 when Anna informs them about what they will be doing together the next morning?
2. What is the weather in Act 4?
3. What order does Burke give Anna in Act 3?
4. What job did Chris get on a steamer that sets sail the next day?
5. What does Burke call Chris when Chris grasps Burke by the arm at the end of Act 3?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)