|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chris go into his room and retrieve before he leaves the barge in Act 3?
(d) His cap.
2. What is Burke wearing at the beginning of Act 3?
(a) Swimming trunks.
(c) Cheap blue suit.
(d) Sailor outfit.
3. What does Burke say he needs to drink in order to "wash that black kiss of yours off my lips"?
4. What job did Chris get on a steamer that sets sail the next day?
5. What does Anna say just before throwing herself into a chair and sobbing hysterically in Act 3?
(a) She cannot remember her mother.
(b) She feels sick.
(c) Her favorite necklace is missing.
(d) She hates men.
6. What sounds can be heard at the beginning of Act 4?
(a) Sea gulls.
(b) Seals barking.
(c) Shouting of sailors.
(d) Whistles of steamers.
7. What does Burke say he would believe about Anna if he were sure she is telling him the truth in Act 4?
(a) That she is still nineteen.
(b) That she went to college.
(c) That she has changed.
(d) That she just got a job as a newspaper delivery girl.
8. Why does Anna think it is funny when Burke tells her he signed up to work on a steamer?
(a) She is boarding the same steamer for a ride to the next port.
(b) She cannot see him working as a sailor.
(c) Because she thought he was going to work inland.
(d) It is the same one Chris will be working on.
9. What does Chris attack Burke with?
10. Where did Burke's picture appear in Boston?
(a) On television.
(b) Boston Magazine.
(c) The newspapers.
11. Why does Anna push Chris out of the way in Act 3?
(a) She is afraid for him.
(b) She saw Burke was trying to hurt him.
(c) She is trying to save him.
(d) She doesn't want him interfering.
12. What is the weather in Act 4?
(a) Partly cloudy.
13. When Chris interrupts Anna and Burke's embrace in Act 4, what does Burke do?
(a) Shakes Chris's hand.
(b) Steps toward Chris in a threatening manner.
(c) Is so startled he falls over.
(d) Has a coughing fit.
14. Who is the last character on stage at the end of Act 3?
(b) The deckhand.
15. What does Burke say that he and Anna will be happy in spite of?
(a) Her worries about being alone.
(b) Her worries that she will not find a house to live in.
(c) The curse of the sea.
(d) The devil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna say to Burke about Chris going back to sea?
2. What does Chris see when he looks out the cabin window into the night at the end of the play?
3. What are Chris and Burke's reactions in Act 4 when Anna informs them about what they will be doing together the next morning?
4. What does Burke promise Anna so she will not be alone for too long?
5. Where is Anna sitting when Act 4 begins?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)