|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the steamer Chris has signed on to work for?
(c) The Knickerbocker.
(d) The Sea Serpent.
2. What does Anna tell Burke and Chris that stuns both men in Act 3?
(a) That she worked in a house of prostitution.
(b) That she had a baby.
(c) She tried to kill herself.
(d) She is already married.
3. What does Anna pound her fists on at the end of Act 3?
4. What does Anna say to Burke about Chris going back to sea?
(a) It is a great place to fish.
(b) It is where he belongs.
(c) She does not want him to leave.
(d) He is cursed and should stay inland.
5. What does Anna say about being alone after Burke goes back to sea?
(a) Being alone runs in her family and she will get used to it.
(b) She hates it.
(c) She would rather be with everyone on the steamer.
(d) She will not be alone as she plans to stay in a hotel.
6. Where is Cape Town located?
(d) South America.
7. What does Burke make Anna swear that she is telling the truth about?
(a) Her religion.
(b) The amount of money she has in the bank.
(c) Her age.
(d) He is the only man she has ever loved.
8. What noise does Chris make as he wrings his hands together and begins to weep in Act 3?
(a) He whimpers like a child.
(b) Clicking noises.
(c) A Laugh like a seal.
(d) Harsh growl.
9. Where is Anna sitting when Act 4 begins?
10. What does Chris say he wants to do after he gets his tin of beer from the bedroom?
(a) Drink a toast.
(b) Ask Anna to unlock the safe where she keeps the beer.
(c) Have a party with the other sailors.
(d) Dump his drink into the ocean.
11. What does Burke say he would believe about Anna if he were sure she is telling him the truth in Act 4?
(a) That she is still nineteen.
(b) That she has changed.
(c) That she went to college.
(d) That she just got a job as a newspaper delivery girl.
12. At the end of Act 3, who does Chris blame for having to learn about Anna's past?
(a) The fog.
(c) The sea and its dirty tricks.
(d) Anna's mother.
13. Why does Anna think it is funny when Burke tells her he signed up to work on a steamer?
(a) She is boarding the same steamer for a ride to the next port.
(b) Because she thought he was going to work inland.
(c) It is the same one Chris will be working on.
(d) She cannot see him working as a sailor.
14. What does Chris knock over when he attacks Burke?
15. Who is the last character on stage at the end of Act 3?
(b) The deckhand.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Anna describe Paul's physical appearance?
2. What does Chris say is a million times worse than being a sailor?
3. Why does Anna say that Burke has to go back to sea at the end of the play?
4. What order does Burke give Anna in Act 3?
5. What does Burke have in his hands when he rushes toward Anna in Act 3?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)