|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Burke's mother give him when he was young that he says brings him good luck.
(c) Rabbit foot.
2. When Chris takes off his coat and lets it drop on the floor, what does Anna discover in the pocket?
(d) Scraps of paper.
3. What is Anna holding but not reading while sitting in the rocking chair in the cabin?
4. What does Anna say it is time for Burke and Chris to do at the end of Act 4?
(a) Kiss and make up.
(b) Repair the barge.
(c) Go out to get some dinner.
(d) Sing together.
5. What news does Burke tell Chris in the cabin when Anna is not there?
(a) He has decided to go to college.
(b) He will marry Anna by day's end.
(c) He is getting a new job.
(d) His parents are in town.
6. When Chris returns to the cabin when Anna and Burke are embracing in Act 4, what expression first appears in his eye?
7. What does Burke say he needs to drink in order to "wash that black kiss of yours off my lips"?
8. What explanation does Burke give for why he and Chris were fighting?
(b) They were arguing about Anna.
(d) The best name for the barge.
9. What does Anna tell Burke and Chris that stuns both men in Act 3?
(a) She is already married.
(b) She tried to kill herself.
(c) That she worked in a house of prostitution.
(d) That she had a baby.
10. Where is Anna sitting when Act 4 begins?
11. What is the weather in Act 4?
(a) Partly cloudy.
12. What does Anna say just before throwing herself into a chair and sobbing hysterically in Act 3?
(a) She cannot remember her mother.
(b) She feels sick.
(c) She hates men.
(d) Her favorite necklace is missing.
13. Why does Anna push Chris out of the way in Act 3?
(a) She doesn't want him interfering.
(b) She is afraid for him.
(c) She saw Burke was trying to hurt him.
(d) She is trying to save him.
14. What noise does Chris make as he wrings his hands together and begins to weep in Act 3?
(a) He whimpers like a child.
(b) Clicking noises.
(c) Harsh growl.
(d) A Laugh like a seal.
15. What does Burke say he would believe about Anna if he were sure she is telling him the truth in Act 4?
(a) That she is still nineteen.
(b) That she has changed.
(c) That she just got a job as a newspaper delivery girl.
(d) That she went to college.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chris say is a million times worse than being a sailor?
2. What are Chris and Burke's reactions in Act 4 when Anna informs them about what they will be doing together the next morning?
3. What does Anna say about her cousin Paul?
4. What does Chris go into his room and retrieve before he leaves the barge in Act 3?
5. What is Anna's physical appearance when she waits with her packed suitcase?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)