|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Burke tell Chris in the cabin when Anna is not there?
(a) He is getting a new job.
(b) His parents are in town.
(c) He has decided to go to college.
(d) He will marry Anna by day's end.
2. What is Anna's physical appearance when she waits with her packed suitcase?
(c) Pale, tired, and worn.
3. What does Burke have in his hands when he rushes toward Anna in Act 3?
4. What sounds can be heard at the beginning of Act 4?
(a) Sea gulls.
(b) Whistles of steamers.
(c) Seals barking.
(d) Shouting of sailors.
5. What does Chris attack Burke with?
6. What does Chris go into his room and retrieve before he leaves the barge in Act 3?
(a) His cap.
7. What does Chris say he wants to do after he gets his tin of beer from the bedroom?
(a) Have a party with the other sailors.
(b) Ask Anna to unlock the safe where she keeps the beer.
(c) Dump his drink into the ocean.
(d) Drink a toast.
8. Where does Anna wish she were in the beginning of Act 3?
(b) San Francisco.
(c) St. Paul.
(d) New York.
9. What does Burke have Anna say after she swears that she will never again act the way she had in the past?
(a) "I will give up my life if this is not truth."
(b) "I swear on my life."
(c) "And may the blackest curse of God strike me if I'm lying."
(d) "May I be struck by lightning if this is untrue."
10. What is the weather in Act 3?
11. How does Chris respond when Burke says to Anna "I'll be killing you now"?
(a) "You'll have to kill me first!"
(b) "Get off my barge!"
(c) "Call 911!"
(d) "Stop, you crazy fool!"
12. What does Anna say about her cousin Paul?
(a) She wants to send him a card.
(b) She misses him.
(c) He was good to her.
(d) She hated him.
13. What does Chris see when he looks out the cabin window into the night at the end of the play?
(a) Another ship.
(b) Sea birds.
14. What does Anna tell Burke and Chris that stuns both men in Act 3?
(a) That she worked in a house of prostitution.
(b) She tried to kill herself.
(c) She is already married.
(d) That she had a baby.
15. What does Anna tell Burke has changed her in Act 3?
(a) Having time to meditate.
(b) A new hairstyle.
(d) The sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Cape Town located?
2. When does Burke say he and Anna will wed in Act 4?
3. What does Anna pound her fists on at the end of Act 3?
4. What does Chris knock over when he attacks Burke?
5. How does Anna describe Paul's physical appearance?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)