|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Burke promise Anna so she will not be alone for too long?
(d) More time in the city.
2. What does Burke call Chris when Chris grasps Burke by the arm at the end of Act 3?
(b) Old ape.
(d) Old guy.
3. What does Chris say he wants to do after he gets his tin of beer from the bedroom?
(a) Have a party with the other sailors.
(b) Drink a toast.
(c) Ask Anna to unlock the safe where she keeps the beer.
(d) Dump his drink into the ocean.
4. What does Burke do to Chris when Chris attacks him?
(a) Trips him.
(b) Hits him.
(c) Shoots him.
(d) Twists his arm behind his back.
5. What is Anna's physical appearance when she waits with her packed suitcase?
(c) Pale, tired, and worn.
6. What does Chris attack Burke with?
7. Why does Anna think it is funny when Burke tells her he signed up to work on a steamer?
(a) Because she thought he was going to work inland.
(b) It is the same one Chris will be working on.
(c) She is boarding the same steamer for a ride to the next port.
(d) She cannot see him working as a sailor.
8. Why does Anna say that Burke has to go back to sea at the end of the play?
(a) She wants to be alone.
(b) She doesn't have a place for them to live yet.
(c) They will need the money.
(d) She is taking a trip to China.
9. What is the time when Act 4 begins?
(a) 9:00 pm.
(b) 12:00 am.
(c) 5:00 am.
(d) 4 pm.
10. What explanation does Burke give for why he and Chris were fighting?
(b) They were arguing about Anna.
(c) The best name for the barge.
11. What does Burke say he would believe about Anna if he were sure she is telling him the truth in Act 4?
(a) That she just got a job as a newspaper delivery girl.
(b) That she has changed.
(c) That she went to college.
(d) That she is still nineteen.
12. What does Burke say he will take in place of Anna's oath if it turns out not to be a proper one?
(a) Her written statement.
(b) A letter from a witness.
(c) Her word for it.
(d) The decision of a judge.
13. What toast does Anna make that Burke drinks to in the last scene of the play?
(a) "Here's to us!"
(b) "Here's to the sea, no matter what!"
(c) "May God smile on you."
14. Where did Burke's picture appear in Boston?
(a) On television.
(c) The newspapers.
(d) Boston Magazine.
15. What does Chris change his mind about regarding Anna in Act 3?
(a) Anna's chores.
(b) The boat's direction.
(c) That Anna should marry Burke.
(d) His choice of drinks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What expression does Anna have in her eyes as she looks at Burke when he is rushing toward her in Act 3?
2. What does Burke say that he and Anna will be happy in spite of?
3. What does Burke have in his hands when he rushes toward Anna in Act 3?
4. When Chris interrupts Anna and Burke's embrace in Act 4, what does Burke do?
5. What does Anna pound her fists on at the end of Act 3?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)