|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Act 3, who does Chris blame for having to learn about Anna's past?
(b) Anna's mother.
(c) The sea and its dirty tricks.
(d) The fog.
2. What noise does Chris make as he wrings his hands together and begins to weep in Act 3?
(a) A Laugh like a seal.
(b) He whimpers like a child.
(c) Clicking noises.
(d) Harsh growl.
3. What does Burke make Anna swear that she is telling the truth about?
(a) The amount of money she has in the bank.
(b) Her age.
(c) Her religion.
(d) He is the only man she has ever loved.
4. What does Chris want to leave the barge to go and get at the end of Act 3?
(a) The police.
(b) A drink.
(c) Some air.
(d) A lawyer.
5. What does Anna call Burke when he says she was in love with men in St. Paul?
(a) Ridiculous man.
6. What does Burke have Anna say after she swears that she will never again act the way she had in the past?
(a) "I swear on my life."
(b) "May I be struck by lightning if this is untrue."
(c) "I will give up my life if this is not truth."
(d) "And may the blackest curse of God strike me if I'm lying."
7. Why does Anna tell Chris she will not marry Burke at the beginning of Act 3?
(a) She finds him unattractive.
(b) She doesn't love him.
(c) She doesn't like sailors or the sea.
(d) She is not good enough for him.
8. Where is Anna planning to take the train to when she leaves the barge?
(c) New York.
9. What is the weather in Act 4?
(c) Partly cloudy.
10. What is the setting at the opening of Act 3?
(a) New Bedford.
11. Who is the last character on stage at the end of Act 3?
(d) The deckhand.
12. What does Anna say just before throwing herself into a chair and sobbing hysterically in Act 3?
(a) She feels sick.
(b) She hates men.
(c) She cannot remember her mother.
(d) Her favorite necklace is missing.
13. Where is Anna sitting when Act 4 begins?
14. Where does Anna wish she were in the beginning of Act 3?
(a) New York.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) St. Paul.
15. What reason does Chris give Burke about why he doesn't want Anna to leave him all alone?
(a) He has arthritis.
(b) He is old and has not had much time with her.
(c) His eyesight is failing.
(d) He has no friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna tell Burke and Chris that stuns both men in Act 3?
2. What news does Burke tell Chris in the cabin when Anna is not there?
3. What does Chris say he is sorry for when he returns to the cabin and sees Anna with her suitcase?
4. What sounds can be heard at the beginning of Act 4?
5. What is Anna's physical appearance when she waits with her packed suitcase?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)