|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Larry suggest that Chris do after he arrives at the bar?
(a) Go to sleep.
(b) Go round the corner for some beef stew.
(c) Have another drink.
(d) Drink some water.
2. Where has Anna just been released from at the beginning of the play?
(b) Detox program.
(c) Jury duty.
3. What does Chris call the sea in Act 2 when he and Anna are talking in the fog?
4. What does Anna say to Chris when he comes on to the deck of the barge when she and Burke are talking in Act 2?
(a) She is friendly.
(b) She acts jealous of his attention to Burke.
(c) She resents his bullying tone.
(d) She invites him to join them.
5. What does Chris blame for his not being able to visit Anna when she was young?
(b) The sea.
(c) Couldn't get a train ticket.
(d) Too busy.
6. Who do all the women in Chris's family marry?
7. What does Burke say men must be to wed girls like Anna?
(a) Real men with guts.
(b) Proper and refined.
(c) Friendly and helpful.
8. What does Larry agree to hold for Chris?
(a) Pocket change.
(b) A letter.
9. Why does Anna want to stay out on the deck at night at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) She wants to think about things.
(b) She is hoping for a chance to see a whale.
(c) She wants to pray.
(d) She wants to look at the lighthouse.
10. What does Chris order for himself when he gets Anna a glass of wine?
(b) Ginger ale.
(c) One small beer.
11. Why does Burke think that Anna is on the barge?
(a) She is there as Chris's woman.
(b) She is the maid.
(c) She is a castaway.
(d) She is the cook.
12. What gesture does Chris make at the sea at the end of Act 2?
(a) Stands before it with open arms.
(b) Bows to it reverentially.
(c) Shakes his fist at it with bitter hatred.
(d) Claps his hands with joy.
13. Where does Anna help Burke move to at the end of Act 2?
(a) Johnson's bunk.
(b) The captain's quarters.
(c) Down below.
(d) To the cabin.
14. What does Burke say he would rather be to Anna than anything else in the world?
(a) Her mentor.
(c) Her teacher.
(d) Her savior.
15. Who is described as having choirboy looks?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna think that Chris does for a living when she is talking with Marthy?
2. What city is the bar located in?
3. How does Anna feel about being out at sea in the beginning of Act 2?
4. Where did Anna run away to?
5. Where do Anna and her mother move to?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)