|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chris react when he sees Anna and Burke talking?
(b) He is in a rage.
2. What is Chris's title?
3. What does Anna hope to achieve by visiting Chris?
(a) To take his photograph.
(b) To get some money.
(c) To ask him to go to Florida with her.
(d) To have a rest at his home.
4. How does Marthy describe Chris to Anna?
(a) He is unfair.
(b) He is losing his memory.
(c) He is mean.
(d) He is a good guy.
5. What is the stage direction for when Anna drinks her drink at the end of Act 1?
(a) Downs her port at a gulp like a drink of whiskey.
(b) Puts a straw in the glass and sips.
(c) Sips modestly at her drink.
(d) Takes one gulp and spits it out.
6. What does Chris say will help Anna get strong and healthy?
(a) Getting a massage.
(b) Traveling to the Bahamas.
(c) Going to a resort.
(d) Spending some time on the barge at sea.
7. What does Chris blame for his not being able to visit Anna when she was young?
(a) Too busy.
(b) Couldn't get a train ticket.
(d) The sea.
8. What time does Chris say five bells is?
(a) Twelve thirty.
(b) Two o'clock.
(c) Six o'clock.
(d) Half past ten.
9. What kind of job does Anna tell Burke she has?
(a) Farm hand.
10. Who do all the women in Chris's family marry?
11. Where does Anna help Burke move to at the end of Act 2?
(a) To the cabin.
(b) Down below.
(c) The captain's quarters.
(d) Johnson's bunk.
12. What is Mat Burke wearing when Anna first sees him?
(a) Long underwear.
(b) Shirt and nice pair of pants.
(c) Dirty dungarees.
(d) Shorts and sandals.
13. How does Anna act when Chris returns with her drink in Act 1?
(a) Says "Yum!"
(b) Claps her hands.
(c) Hastily dries her eyes and tries to smile.
(d) Jumps up from her chair to help him.
14. What does Larry suggest that Chris do after he arrives at the bar?
(a) Have another drink.
(b) Go round the corner for some beef stew.
(c) Drink some water.
(d) Go to sleep.
15. How tall is Burke?
(a) Five feet six inches.
(b) Six feet four inches.
(c) Six feet.
(d) Five feet nine inches.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the other sailors in the open boat?
2. When Chris returns to the bar, what does Marthy do?
3. What color is Anna's hair?
4. What does Anna do at the beginning of the play when Chris leaves the room and goes to order the wine?
5. What is the name of Chris's barge?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)