|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the bar where Act 1 is set?
(a) Larry's Saloon.
(b) The Longshoreman Saloon.
(c) The Schooner.
(d) Johnny-the-Priest's Saloon.
2. What does Burke compare Anna to in Act 2 when he sees her for the first time?
3. Where are Chris and Anna when Act 2 begins?
(a) In the outer harbor of Provincetown, MA.
(b) Anchored in Northern Maine.
(c) In Sweden.
(d) At his vacation home.
4. What kind of job does Anna tell Burke she has?
(c) Farm hand.
5. What happened to the sailors' steamer in Act 2?
(a) It ran out of coal.
(b) It was wrecked.
(c) It had to be towed.
(d) The main sail broke.
6. What is Burke's reaction to Anna's strength?
7. Who was in the family that Anna lived with after her mother died?
(a) Father, one son.
(b) Mother, two sons.
(c) Husband, wife, and four sons.
(d) Husband and wife.
8. What does Anna think that Chris does for a living when she is talking with Marthy?
9. Where did Anna run away to?
(a) St. Paul.
10. When Burke is boasting about his strength and courage in Act 2, what does Anna say to him?
(a) "You were so busy."
(b) "Gee, you hate yourself, don't you?"
(c) "The ocean must have been pretty."
(d) "You had enough time to yourself."
11. How does Anna feel about being out at sea in the beginning of Act 2?
(a) It makes her feel clean.
(c) Sea sick.
12. Who does Anna say gives you a "kick when you're down"?
13. In what season does the beginning of the play take place?
14. What does Chris call himself in Act 2 for bringing Anna on the voyage?
(a) "Damn fool."
(b) "A chance for her to learn the sea."
(c) "A good experience for a sailor's wife."
(d) "A good idea."
15. What does Anna do at the beginning of the play when Chris leaves the room and goes to order the wine?
(a) Sits back and relaxes.
(b) Looks in a mirror and brushes her hair.
(c) Picks up her bag and thinks about leaving.
(d) Writes a quick letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Anna's profession in the last city she lived?
2. What is Anna's reaction when she first sees Burke seated on the deck?
3. When Chris returns to the bar, what does Marthy do?
4. What is Mat Burke wearing when Anna first sees him?
5. What is the relationship between Chris and Anna?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)