|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the sailors' steamer in Act 2?
(a) It had to be towed.
(b) It was wrecked.
(c) It ran out of coal.
(d) The main sail broke.
2. What is Burke's reaction to Anna's strength?
3. What is the relationship between Chris and Anna?
(d) Second cousins.
4. When Chris asks Larry if he thinks Anna is a pretty girl, how does Larry respond?
(b) "Sure! A peach."
(c) "She's not my type."
(d) "I didn't see her."
5. What does Burke compare Anna to in Act 2 when he sees her for the first time?
6. What gesture does Chris make at the sea at the end of Act 2?
(a) Stands before it with open arms.
(b) Shakes his fist at it with bitter hatred.
(c) Claps his hands with joy.
(d) Bows to it reverentially.
7. What does Anna say to Chris when he comes on to the deck of the barge when she and Burke are talking in Act 2?
(a) She resents his bullying tone.
(b) She is friendly.
(c) She invites him to join them.
(d) She acts jealous of his attention to Burke.
8. What is Chris's physical state when he is at the bar in the beginning of the play?
(a) He has been drinking.
(b) He looks too heavy.
(c) He feels ill.
(d) He is exhausted.
9. Where are Chris and Anna when Act 2 begins?
(a) Anchored in Northern Maine.
(b) In the outer harbor of Provincetown, MA.
(c) In Sweden.
(d) At his vacation home.
10. Who is Marthy?
(b) Cousin to Chris.
(c) The woman who lives with Chris.
(d) Larry's mother.
11. Where does Anna live after her mother's death?
(a) A relative's city condo.
(b) Her cousins' farm.
12. What is Larry's job?
13. What was Anna's profession in the last city she lived?
14. Where did Anna run away to?
(b) St. Paul.
15. What harbor was Burke's steamer headed to?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burke say about Anna when he first sees her?
2. How does Chris react when he sees Anna and Burke talking?
3. What nationality is Burke?
4. Where has Anna just been released from at the beginning of the play?
5. Why does Burke think that Anna is on the barge?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)