|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Anna just been released from at the beginning of the play?
(c) Jury duty.
(d) Detox program.
2. What is a Bo'sun according to Chris?
(a) An officer.
(d) Galley hand.
3. What does Larry agree to hold for Chris?
(b) Pocket change.
(c) A letter.
4. What does Burke say he would give up if he found a girl to marry him?
(a) Drinking and roving about.
(b) His long hair.
(c) Smoking a pipe.
(d) Wearing boots in the house.
5. In what season does the beginning of the play take place?
6. How old is Burke?
(a) About thirty.
7. What does Anna hope to achieve by visiting Chris?
(a) To get some money.
(b) To have a rest at his home.
(c) To ask him to go to Florida with her.
(d) To take his photograph.
8. What did Chris tell Marthy that Anna's job was?
(d) Nurse girl.
9. What is Larry's job?
10. What does Chris call himself in Act 2 for bringing Anna on the voyage?
(a) "A chance for her to learn the sea."
(b) "A good idea."
(c) "A good experience for a sailor's wife."
(d) "Damn fool."
11. What color eyes does Chris Christopherson have?
12. Why does Burke say he got so strong?
(a) Cutting stone out of the quarry.
(b) Lifting fishing nets out of the sea.
(c) Shoveling a million tons of coal since he was a lad.
(d) Lifting weights at the gym.
13. What does Burke compare Anna to in Act 2 when he sees her for the first time?
14. Who do all the women in Chris's family marry?
15. What is the stage direction for when Anna drinks her drink at the end of Act 1?
(a) Puts a straw in the glass and sips.
(b) Downs her port at a gulp like a drink of whiskey.
(c) Sips modestly at her drink.
(d) Takes one gulp and spits it out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burke do to Anna's hand when he shakes it?
2. Who was in the family that Anna lived with after her mother died?
3. What does Chris first suggest Anna should order when she says she is thirsty in the bar?
4. What is the playwright's description of Anna when she first enters the bar?
5. What does Burke say men must be to wed girls like Anna?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)