|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Anna say gives you a "kick when you're down"?
2. What does Burke say he would give up if he found a girl to marry him?
(a) His long hair.
(b) Wearing boots in the house.
(c) Smoking a pipe.
(d) Drinking and roving about.
3. Where are Chris and Anna when Act 2 begins?
(a) In the outer harbor of Provincetown, MA.
(b) Anchored in Northern Maine.
(c) In Sweden.
(d) At his vacation home.
4. What is Chris's title?
5. What does Burke say about Anna when he first sees her?
(a) "Where am I?"
(b) "Is it dreaming I am?"
(c) "Who are you?"
(d) "When can I get on land?"
6. What does Chris ask Anna to get from the cabin in Act 2?
7. What is Larry's job?
8. When Chris returns to the bar, what does Marthy do?
(a) Jumps up and runs out the door.
(b) Tells Chris Anna is waiting for him and then leaves.
(c) Brings Anna over to meet Chris.
(d) Calls Chris over to the table.
9. What does Chris call himself in Act 2 for bringing Anna on the voyage?
(a) "Damn fool."
(b) "A good experience for a sailor's wife."
(c) "A chance for her to learn the sea."
(d) "A good idea."
10. When Burke is boasting about his strength and courage in Act 2, what does Anna say to him?
(a) "The ocean must have been pretty."
(b) "Gee, you hate yourself, don't you?"
(c) "You had enough time to yourself."
(d) "You were so busy."
11. What did Anna travel in to visit Chris?
(b) A dirty coach.
12. What was Anna's profession in the last city she lived?
13. What is the stage direction for when Anna drinks her drink at the end of Act 1?
(a) Sips modestly at her drink.
(b) Puts a straw in the glass and sips.
(c) Downs her port at a gulp like a drink of whiskey.
(d) Takes one gulp and spits it out.
14. When Chris is talking to Anna with Marthy, how old does he think she is?
15. What does Burke say men must be to wed girls like Anna?
(a) Proper and refined.
(b) Friendly and helpful.
(c) Real men with guts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna think that Chris does for a living when she is talking with Marthy?
2. What word does Chris ask Anna if she knows at the end of Act 1?
3. What does Chris call the men in his family who chose to become sailors?
4. What job at sea does Burke mention as paying enough so he could afford a little house?
5. How does Larry respond when Chris orders a drink for himself at the end of Act 1?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)