|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the veins in Burke's forearms look like when he first comes on board the barge?
(d) Blue cords.
2. What was Anna's profession in the last city she lived?
3. What does Chris say will help Anna get strong and healthy?
(a) Getting a massage.
(b) Spending some time on the barge at sea.
(c) Going to a resort.
(d) Traveling to the Bahamas.
4. What is Anna's reaction when she first sees Burke seated on the deck?
5. What is a Bo'sun according to Chris?
(a) An officer.
(b) Galley hand.
6. What does Burke describe as "quick and clane"?
(a) Having his tooth pulled.
(b) Death by shark attack.
(c) Death at sea for a sailor.
(d) His leg operation.
7. What does Anna do at the beginning of the play when Chris leaves the room and goes to order the wine?
(a) Looks in a mirror and brushes her hair.
(b) Sits back and relaxes.
(c) Picks up her bag and thinks about leaving.
(d) Writes a quick letter.
8. What is Burke's reaction to Anna's strength?
9. What does Chris call the men in his family who chose to become sailors?
10. How does Anna act when Chris returns with her drink in Act 1?
(a) Says "Yum!"
(b) Claps her hands.
(c) Hastily dries her eyes and tries to smile.
(d) Jumps up from her chair to help him.
11. Where does Anna help Burke move to at the end of Act 2?
(a) Johnson's bunk.
(b) The captain's quarters.
(c) Down below.
(d) To the cabin.
12. What does Chris ask Anna to get from the cabin in Act 2?
13. What is the playwright's description of Anna when she first enters the bar?
(a) Brown hair and vibrant.
(b) Dressed like a nurse.
(c) Tall, handsome, and run-down in health.
(d) Short and redheaded.
14. What does Burke say he would give up if he found a girl to marry him?
(a) His long hair.
(b) Smoking a pipe.
(c) Wearing boots in the house.
(d) Drinking and roving about.
15. What color eyes does Chris Christopherson have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What harbor was Burke's steamer headed to?
2. What does Burke compare Anna to in Act 2 when he sees her for the first time?
3. How many days were the sailors in the open boat?
4. Who was in the family that Anna lived with after her mother died?
5. What is Chris's physical state when he is at the bar in the beginning of the play?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)