|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How tall is Burke?
(a) Six feet.
(b) Six feet four inches.
(c) Five feet nine inches.
(d) Five feet six inches.
2. What does Burke compare Anna to in Act 2 when he sees her for the first time?
3. What is Anna's opinion about the fog?
(a) She loves it.
(b) She doesn't like not seeing clearly.
(c) It makes her feel wet.
(d) It scares her.
4. What did the veins in Burke's forearms look like when he first comes on board the barge?
(d) Blue cords.
5. Where did Anna run away to?
(d) St. Paul.
6. What is Anna's reaction when Burke proposes?
(a) She accepts him immediately.
(b) She asks him if he is going crazy.
(c) She runs away from him.
(d) She politely declines.
7. Who does Anna say gives you a "kick when you're down"?
8. How long ago did Chris last see Anna?
(a) Three years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Twenty years.
9. What does Marthy say about Chris's view of farm life?
(a) Best place for a kid to grow up.
(b) Too smelly for a child.
(c) Would like to own a farm.
(d) Is afraid of animals.
10. What did Anna travel in to visit Chris?
(a) A dirty coach.
11. In what season does the beginning of the play take place?
12. What does Chris tell Burke he needs to do at the end of Act 2?
(a) Hurry and get a bunk in the sailors' quarters.
(b) Come with him to the officer's cabin.
(c) Have dinner with him.
(d) Act as a lookout for the night watch.
13. What was Anna's profession in the last city she lived?
14. What is the relationship between Chris and Anna?
(a) Second cousins.
15. What does Chris call the men in his family who chose to become sailors?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Anna live after her mother's death?
2. What kind of wine does Chris order for Anna in the bar when they are first reunited?
3. What is the name of Chris's barge?
4. Why does Anna want to stay out on the deck at night at the beginning of Act 2?
5. How does Anna feel about being out at sea in the beginning of Act 2?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)