|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days were the sailors in the open boat?
(a) One day.
(b) Twenty days.
(c) Five days.
(d) Ten days.
2. What is the playwright's description of Anna when she first enters the bar?
(a) Tall, handsome, and run-down in health.
(b) Dressed like a nurse.
(c) Brown hair and vibrant.
(d) Short and redheaded.
3. What is Anna's reaction when Burke proposes?
(a) She accepts him immediately.
(b) She asks him if he is going crazy.
(c) She runs away from him.
(d) She politely declines.
4. What is Larry reading behind the bar when Chris orders a glass of wine for Anna?
(d) Biology book.
5. What kind of job does Burke not want to do on land?
(a) Working in a bank.
(b) Digging potatoes.
(c) Being a store clerk.
(d) Milking cows.
6. What does Burke compare Anna to in Act 2 when he sees her for the first time?
7. What harbor was Burke's steamer headed to?
8. What is the first question that Marthy asks Anna at the bar?
(a) Want to meet my husband?
(b) How about some music?
(c) Want a salad?
(d) Been on a boat?
9. What does Burke say he would give up if he found a girl to marry him?
(a) His long hair.
(b) Wearing boots in the house.
(c) Drinking and roving about.
(d) Smoking a pipe.
10. What color is Anna's hair?
11. What does Burke say he would rather be to Anna than anything else in the world?
(a) Her mentor.
(b) Her savior.
(d) Her teacher.
12. What does Anna do at the beginning of the play when Chris leaves the room and goes to order the wine?
(a) Looks in a mirror and brushes her hair.
(b) Writes a quick letter.
(c) Picks up her bag and thinks about leaving.
(d) Sits back and relaxes.
13. When Chris returns to the bar, what does Marthy do?
(a) Jumps up and runs out the door.
(b) Tells Chris Anna is waiting for him and then leaves.
(c) Brings Anna over to meet Chris.
(d) Calls Chris over to the table.
14. What nationality is Burke?
15. What does Burke say about Anna when he first sees her?
(a) "When can I get on land?"
(b) "Where am I?"
(c) "Is it dreaming I am?"
(d) "Who are you?"
Short Answer Questions
1. After Anna tells Burke that Chris is her father, what does he call Chris?
2. Who does Anna say gives you a "kick when you're down"?
3. What gesture does Chris make at the sea at the end of Act 2?
4. What does Marthy say about Chris's view of farm life?
5. What is the stage direction for when Anna drinks her drink at the end of Act 1?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)