|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Chris ask Anna if she knows at the end of Act 1?
(a) Mazel tov.
(d) Bon Apetite.
2. What does Burke say he would give up if he found a girl to marry him?
(a) His long hair.
(b) Drinking and roving about.
(c) Smoking a pipe.
(d) Wearing boots in the house.
3. Who was in the family that Anna lived with after her mother died?
(a) Father, one son.
(b) Mother, two sons.
(c) Husband, wife, and four sons.
(d) Husband and wife.
4. What is Chris's title?
5. What is the name of the bar where Act 1 is set?
(a) Larry's Saloon.
(b) The Longshoreman Saloon.
(c) The Schooner.
(d) Johnny-the-Priest's Saloon.
6. What does Burke say about Anna when he first sees her?
(a) "Is it dreaming I am?"
(b) "Where am I?"
(c) "Who are you?"
(d) "When can I get on land?"
7. How does Marthy describe Chris to Anna?
(a) He is mean.
(b) He is losing his memory.
(c) He is unfair.
(d) He is a good guy.
8. How many days were the sailors in the open boat?
(a) Five days.
(b) One day.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Twenty days.
9. What does Chris call the sea in Act 2 when he and Anna are talking in the fog?
10. Why does Burke say he got so strong?
(a) Shoveling a million tons of coal since he was a lad.
(b) Lifting weights at the gym.
(c) Lifting fishing nets out of the sea.
(d) Cutting stone out of the quarry.
11. What does Chris first suggest Anna should order when she says she is thirsty in the bar?
(a) Root beer.
(b) Vitamin Water.
12. Who is Marthy?
(a) Larry's mother.
(b) The woman who lives with Chris.
(c) Cousin to Chris.
13. What does Chris blame for his not being able to visit Anna when she was young?
(a) The sea.
(c) Couldn't get a train ticket.
(d) Too busy.
14. What does Anna think that Chris does for a living when she is talking with Marthy?
15. What does Burke do to Anna's hand when he shakes it?
(a) Kisses it.
(b) Squeezes it tight.
(c) Drops it quickly.
(d) Twists it by accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chris tell Burke he needs to do at the end of Act 2?
2. When Burke is boasting about his strength and courage in Act 2, what does Anna say to him?
3. What job at sea does Burke mention as paying enough so he could afford a little house?
4. What is Anna's reaction when she first sees Burke seated on the deck?
5. What kind of job does Burke not want to do on land?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)