|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is Anna's hair?
2. Why does Anna want to stay out on the deck at night at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) She wants to pray.
(b) She wants to think about things.
(c) She wants to look at the lighthouse.
(d) She is hoping for a chance to see a whale.
3. What is Anna's reaction when Burke proposes?
(a) She politely declines.
(b) She asks him if he is going crazy.
(c) She runs away from him.
(d) She accepts him immediately.
4. What does Burke say he would rather be to Anna than anything else in the world?
(b) Her teacher.
(c) Her savior.
(d) Her mentor.
5. What is Chris's physical state when he is at the bar in the beginning of the play?
(a) He is exhausted.
(b) He feels ill.
(c) He has been drinking.
(d) He looks too heavy.
6. What job at sea does Burke mention as paying enough so he could afford a little house?
(a) Stokehole of a proper ship.
(b) Scrubbing the deck.
(c) Polishing the tack.
(d) Fixing sails.
7. What word does Chris ask Anna if she knows at the end of Act 1?
(a) Mazel tov.
(b) Bon Apetite.
8. What does Larry suggest that Chris do after he arrives at the bar?
(a) Go to sleep.
(b) Go round the corner for some beef stew.
(c) Drink some water.
(d) Have another drink.
9. What happens when Anna pushes Burke away from her?
(a) He gets angry.
(b) He walks away and doesn't speak to her.
(c) He squeezes her even tighter.
(d) He falls and hits his head.
10. How does Anna act when Chris returns with her drink in Act 1?
(a) Jumps up from her chair to help him.
(b) Says "Yum!"
(c) Hastily dries her eyes and tries to smile.
(d) Claps her hands.
11. What is the playwright's description of Anna when she first enters the bar?
(a) Short and redheaded.
(b) Dressed like a nurse.
(c) Brown hair and vibrant.
(d) Tall, handsome, and run-down in health.
12. What nationality is Burke?
13. What happened to the other sailors in the open boat?
(a) They had broken arms or fingers.
(b) They were unconscious.
(c) They couldn't stand up.
(d) They didn't know how to row.
14. What does Chris call the men in his family who chose to become sailors?
15. What did Anna travel in to visit Chris?
(d) A dirty coach.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Anna say gives you a "kick when you're down"?
2. What did the veins in Burke's forearms look like when he first comes on board the barge?
3. Why does Burke think that Anna is on the barge?
4. What kind of job does Anna tell Burke she has?
5. What does Burke do to Anna's hand when he shakes it?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)