* The play opens in a bar in New York City in autumn.
* Johnny-the-priest owns the bar and gets his nickname from his choirboy looks.
* Larry arrives late for work at the same time the postman delivers a letter.
* Johnny says he will deliver the letter to Chris Christopherson, a sailor who is using the bar as his mailing address.
* Chris, who captains a coal barge, has docked in New York and goes to the bar later that day.
* He brings Marthy, an older woman who lives with him on the barge.
* He is overjoyed to receive the letter from Anna, his daughter, whom he has not seen in fifteen years.
* Anna and her mother moved to Minnesota when she was five, and after her mother died, Chris left Anna with her cousins who lived on a farm.
* Larry suggests that Chris go get something to eat because...
This section contains 1,392 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)