|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who declares the battle in Chapter 8 a victory?
2. What happens to many of the animals who remember life before the revolution?
3. Who does Squealer tell the animals will lead a second attack on Animal Farm?
4. What is the timber being sold to do in Chapter 8?
5. What contributed greatly to the prosperity of the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the pigs invite the neighboring farmers over in Chapter 10?
2. What does Napoleon arrange upon the completion of the windmill in Chapter 8?
3. What do the animals do when Frederick and his fifteen men attack?
4. What about trading with Mr. Whymper is a source of pride for the animals on the farm?
5. Why do you think Napoleon forces some of the animals to confess to treasonous acts?
6. What does the only Commandment left at the end of the novel state?
7. What may happen to many of the animals on the farm in the winter if Napoleon does not find something to trade?
8. Why do the hens protest Napoleon's orders in Chapter 7?
9. What do the animals continue to feel proud about in Chapter 10?
10. How do the pigs celebrate the victory over Frederick and his fifteen men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, Napoleon hid the fact that his animals were starving from others. Why would a leader of a country want to hide something like that? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the author uses clear, simple, and accessible language to construct the novel. Explain how this writing technique is useful for conveying the complex issues discussed throughout the novel. Include specific examples from the text to support your explanation.
Essay Topic 3
Can you describe a time in this country where you believe the ruler blatantly broke the founding principles upon which the country was based? How does this compare to the character of Napoleon in this novel?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)