|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much food are the animals able to store in Chapter 6?
2. What does Napoleon fill the empty food bins with?
3. For what do the pigs begin to use the barley?
4. Upon whom does Napoleon blame the destruction of the windmill?
5. Who does Squealer tell the animals will lead a second attack on Animal Farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the animals changing the Commandments?
2. How do the pigs celebrate the victory over Frederick and his fifteen men?
3. What does Napoleon arrange upon the completion of the windmill in Chapter 8?
4. Why do the animals begin to have some doubts about Napoleon and the things he is doing by Chapter 6?
5. What may happen to many of the animals on the farm in the winter if Napoleon does not find something to trade?
6. Why do you think Napoleon forces some of the animals to confess to treasonous acts?
7. Why do the pigs invite the neighboring farmers over in Chapter 10?
8. By Chapter 6, what types of materials do the animals begin to not have enough of to sustain the farm?
9. What about trading with Mr. Whymper is a source of pride for the animals on the farm?
10. What prevents Boxer from following Clover's advice in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As this story is a representation of the mindset of people in a country following an upheaval or revolution, each character represents a typical group of people. Choose two characters from the novel and describe which group of people they represent and how their actions in the novel support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how propaganda is used throughout this novel to change the views of the animals. Then compare that to the use of propaganda in today's society.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail what parallels can be drawn in this book between the animals' struggles and that of the Russian Revolution. Be specific and include at least five parallels.
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)