|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is posted on the side of the barn in Chapter 8?
2. What does Napoleon order in Chapter 6, in regard to Snowball?
3. Where does Napoleon promise to send Boxer in Chapter 9?
4. Which animals do not receive reduced food rations?
5. What is the timber being sold to do in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the moral begin to slide at the Animal Farm in Chapter 7?
2. When the animals look at the Seven Commandments about sleeping in a bed, what do they find?
3. Why do the pigs invite the neighboring farmers over in Chapter 10?
4. Why are the animals changing the Commandments?
5. What does the only Commandment left at the end of the novel state?
6. On Sundays, what announcement does Squealer make?
7. How do the pigs celebrate the victory over Frederick and his fifteen men?
8. By Chapter 6, what types of materials do the animals begin to not have enough of to sustain the farm?
9. What prevents Boxer from following Clover's advice in Chapter 9?
10. By Chapter 10, what has happened to many of the animals who remember life before there was a revolution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, the character of Napoleon becomes more and more detached from reality. Describe the path this detachment took through the novel using details from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the Seven Commandments changed from the beginning of the novel to the end. Be sure to include the reasons behind the changes to support your descriptions.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout this story, the author uses personification. Write an essay describing how the pigs in particular, became more and more human as the story progressed. Use specific examples from the novel to support your position.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)