|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Commandments are there at the end of the novel?
2. What battle does Squealer talk of in Chapter 7?
3. What is destroyed during the battle Frederick and his men begin?
4. Who does Napoleon blame for anything that goes wrong on the farm?
5. What do the pigs wear by Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason that Squealer says it is important the animals sleep in the farmhouse?
2. What is one thing Squealer invents to keep the animals busy and content?
3. Why are the animals changing the Commandments?
4. In Chapter 7, what does Napoleon order in regards to Snowball?
5. Why do the pigs invite the neighboring farmers over in Chapter 10?
6. By Chapter 6, what types of materials do the animals begin to not have enough of to sustain the farm?
7. What does Clover encourage Boxer to do?
8. What does Napoleon declare Animal Farm to be in Chapter 9?
9. When the animals look at the Seven Commandments about sleeping in a bed, what do they find?
10. What does Boxer do as his hoof heals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, the character of Napoleon becomes more and more detached from reality. Describe the path this detachment took through the novel using details from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how propaganda is used throughout this novel to change the views of the animals. Then compare that to the use of propaganda in today's society.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the character Boxer. Write an essay about this character and the decisions and actions he took throughout the story as well as his final fate. Make a judgment about these issues and use information from the text to support your judgment.
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)